PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion - Change to 7th Legion Shield 'Zanzou'. [Detailed Breakdown]

Error404
03-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Currently, it is my belief that shields are the most definitive way to change how we play.and allow us for numerous strategical options to increase our survivability and combat choices, however, to this end, it is my belief that the 7th Legion 'Zanzou' shield does not bring to the table what it's counterparts do. For this reason, I am breaking down each 7th Legion shield by it's purpose and use in hopes to create discussion regarding the functionality and possible changes to the 'Zanzou' shield type.

As of speaking, I am aware of 3 7th Legion shield types, they are, in detail, as follows:

Focus - Drastically reduce recoil and spread for 6 seconds after shield breaks - Okay! Great, like the majority of shields, this offers a very immediate and direct bonus to the player, this allows players to keep on the move with fast firing weapons whilst gaining the benefits of reduced recoil and spread. This caters well to players using fast firing guns such as assault rifles, SMGs, various pistols, combat and pump shotguns. A great effect that offers an immediate visible benefit.

Surge - +50% Melee damage for 6 seconds after shield fully recharges - Again, another solid option, this allows players that like to get up close an offensive option to increase their damage, this caters well to players that use swords, shotguns and SMGs. A very direct benefit that is clear to see in functionality and form.

Zanou - 10% chance to create a Decoy when shield breaks - This is where we begin to see a disparity in usefulness against function. The shield, in concept should offer an interesting survival choice that few other shields offer. Where shields like a regenerator offer HP and Guardian or Charger offer damage reduction, the Zanzou offers a brief second of breathing room, however, I personally feel it fails to do this as often as it should.
I would like to propose that this shield be changed to the following - 25% chance to create a Decoy when shield breaks - This would increase the functionality of the shield in such a manner that luck plays less of a factor into a players survival and instead offers a more intreresting and tactical advantage. This would put the shield into a class of use that is only offered by few other shields and give it a more direct (albeit chance related) impact on gameplay. - This SHOULD cater to players that enjoy a longer range gameplay style, however the chance to create a decoy (And thus, survival chances) are rather poor with diminishing returns for players that use Decoy as a power, Cloak as a power or use Health Stims as a stim option.

I'd like both developer and community input on this alike, seeing the change of an approximate 1/10 chance of spawning a decoy to an approximate 1/4 chance in a team based game is what I'd like to say a fair request. However, how do you feel about this? is 25% too much? Would you be more inclined to use the shield if the odds were more in your favour? How do you feel about shields in general or the Zanzou as a tactical option in comparative to other shields in its class?

Error404
03-22-2014, 02:16 PM
No opinions at all?

eaglepowers
03-22-2014, 02:33 PM
I agree. Also, wanted to add that whichever shield does the .5 second reduction in recharge delay should be a % reduction. .5 only really helps the respark version of this shield.

Error404
03-22-2014, 07:17 PM
I agree. Also, wanted to add that whichever shield does the .5 second reduction in recharge delay should be a % reduction. .5 only really helps the respark version of this shield.

Personally, I would actually say that 0.5 delay reduction is quite a game changer, even on the longer delay shields. Actually, especially on the longer delay shields.

DSW
03-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Personally, I would actually say that 0.5 delay reduction is quite a game changer, even on the longer delay shields. Actually, especially on the longer delay shields.

i dont think so, esp. on ironclad or rhinos with 9.6 delay. it doesn't really matter if your delay will drop to 9.1s on them. it's just about -10% delay...

maverick07
03-23-2014, 02:45 AM
I agree that 10% is a bit low. I was playing with it while waiting for a WM to fill one night, got it to work on the first time, then like the next 20 to 25 times it didn't work :). I've gotten lucky to have it activate more frequently at times though too. But when it does activate, the Decoy isn't up for very long, and I find it doesn't draw aggro as reliably as the actual Decoy power.

At least 20% would be good. That's a 1 in 5 chance. Seems a little more fair for me. Especially when you compare it to odds of some of the Gunslinger DLC weapons that can activate an EGO power.

Error404
03-23-2014, 07:44 AM
I agree that 10% is a bit low. I was playing with it while waiting for a WM to fill one night, got it to work on the first time, then like the next 20 to 25 times it didn't work :). I've gotten lucky to have it activate more frequently at times though too. But when it does activate, the Decoy isn't up for very long, and I find it doesn't draw aggro as reliably as the actual Decoy power.

At least 20% would be good. That's a 1 in 5 chance. Seems a little more fair for me. Especially when you compare it to odds of some of the Gunslinger DLC weapons that can activate an EGO power.

I think a minimum of 20% should be the basis, upto a maximum of 33% to make things different.

Versus trash mobs, it may actually be of some use, against bosses and mini boss mobs (Tankers, Hulkers, etc) it's going to be near useless anyways. I think 25% is the reasonable middle ground, but I don't even think 33% would be too out of order, it wouldn't be game changing in PVP because infectors/detonators don't really miss, shotguns kill outright and the delay and cap on the shields make it a poor PVP choice anyways.

otonagamer
03-23-2014, 07:51 AM
I agree. It shouldn't be less than 34%.

I also think it should have the feature to swap position with decoy. Like whenever getting hit while decoy is deployed or something. It would be useful in PvP.

Camelot
03-23-2014, 09:36 AM
I agree. It shouldn't be less than 34%.

I also think it should have the feature to swap position with decoy. Like whenever getting hit while decoy is deployed or something. It would be useful in PvP.

I agree with you. This could be useful against people who cloak all the time. 50/50 chances would be good.

B_Draco
03-23-2014, 04:31 PM

I'd like that decoy shield if Trion either added 35-40% chance or decoy deploy(ok probably too high), or 20% decoy deploy WITH a sensor sweep effect, but obviously a very short sensor sweep range.

Amun Ra
03-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Not a clue, I do not use the Zanzou shield.
I use the Regenerator, but that shield seems broken.
It has 50% regeneration, but whether I use that shield, or a simple one, my life regen... stays the same...
Must be me I reckon?
Maybe I do not get the 50% Regen?

Atticus Batman
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Not a clue, I do not use the Zanzou shield.
I use the Regenerator, but that shield seems broken.
It has 50% regeneration, but whether I use that shield, or a simple one, my life regen... stays the same...
Must be me I reckon?
Maybe I do not get the 50% Regen?

Are you using that health regen perk? If so, remove it, then test your shield that has health regen.

Amun Ra
03-24-2014, 03:28 AM
I am not.
But good thinking there!

duction
03-24-2014, 03:31 AM
I'd prefer to see. 10 - 20% chance of decoy when shield takes any damage from full rather then shield break.

Error404
03-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Still want more input on this, even better if a dev would chime in.