PDA

View Full Version : Does Rolling Thunder synergy actually work?

StanleyPain
03-31-2014, 01:35 AM
So, in the past week, I have modded three weapons of Rolling Thunder with matching synergy mods only to find there is no actual bonus being applied. On a rocket launcher, there was no mag bonus at all, and on other weapons (an assault rifle and a SAW) the mag increase was not remotely 5 or 10 % I was not aware it was broken, is this a regular thing?

ConcreteSnake
03-31-2014, 02:19 AM
It does work, rockets tho...dont have accuracy and +15% mag on a clip of 2 is 2.3 which is not enough to give you an extra rocket. On a saw it should be 85 x 1.15 mag is 97.75 or 98 in the clip. The accuracy is based on hip accuracy and does not affect aim accuracy.

Tekrunner
03-31-2014, 02:43 AM
So, in the past week, I have modded three weapons of Rolling Thunder with matching synergy mods only to find there is no actual bonus being applied. On a rocket launcher, there was no mag bonus at all, and on other weapons (an assault rifle and a SAW) the mag increase was not remotely 5 or 10 % I was not aware it was broken, is this a regular thing?

Keep in mind that mag increases apply to base values. So if you have a rolling thunder SAW modded with a high cap mag III, it'll have 85 * (1 + 0.5 + 0.15) = 140 bullets in the mag.

polarity
05-19-2014, 11:13 PM
The fact that they exist, and that they can be equipped on weapons with very low base ammo counts implies that they should be doing something.

If it's never going to do anything to, for example, the huge majority of detonators (which aren't going to have a base ammo count of 10 unless you get very lucky and have a stack of +mag bonuses), then why even make them available for that weapon class? Are Trion trolling us by putting utterly worthless items in the game for us to waste time trying to get?

If it's +10% of base value THEN THAT IS WHAT SHOULD BE ON THE TOOLTIP.

If it says +10% Mag then that is what it should be doing, +10% to the value of Mag, which is made up from your base value and any +Mag bonuses.

jackdaws_1999
05-19-2014, 11:35 PM
...why even make them available for that weapon class? Are Trion trolling us by putting utterly worthless items in the game for us to waste time trying to get?...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah... Yes... yes they are :|

In all seriousness, there are several combos of weapons and synergies that dont work... BMGs and anything that isnt less damage while reloading (no canoneer doesnt help|No quatermaster doesnt help|No rolling thunder doesnt help etc)... Any sub 8 mag weapons and rolling thunder (sawedoffs, rocket launchers, 5 shot snipers). The rare beast that was Brutal and snipers was just hilarious... and occasionally happens when sunlight catches off the swamp gas on venus, refracts off of bill gates ego, then hits your cornea at an obtuse angle, still.

If you think trion are deliberately trolling you... no, its not intended. They just really are that inept at times regarding forethought on rolls, synergies and gun types. You just have to look at the guns that have "crafted" rolls on them as opposed to random (zaggers, Boomslangs etc), of all of the "end game" guns, not one of them is what I would consider "end game" or even useful in the slightest in some cases. If they cant get the hand crafted guns right, whats the chance that the random ones would even come close. This is why some guns are refered to as Unicorns... or rocking horse shtako.

Trion have a habit of putting silly rolls on guns:

For instance, how many couriers, Clustershots, and detonators have you picked up with accuracy rolls?
How about sawedoffs with recoil?
How about Bolt action snipers with triple or quad mag boosts (with a 0.8 fire rate I might add "oh joy I have 75 sniper bullets in this gun... Oh joy, it will only take a MILLION years to fire them off")?
How about any gun with a purple ego on reload, on a gun with a million bullets?
Or go on a crit kill... with a 1.1 crit weapon?
Or the best yet.... Damage on next grenade.... on a sniper.... I mean really?

Trion dont mean to be trolls... they just have a predaliction towards it.

Griffix8
05-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Trion have a habit of putting silly rolls on guns.

Gotta love those purple rolls....

Whippy
05-19-2014, 11:43 PM
To be fair it makes perfect sense to have them synergies on weapons that can't use them. Makes looking out for that decent synergy all the worthwhile. Whats the point in constantly getting the best synergies on the best guns? Would make looking for that perfect gun boring and none beneficial.

Griffix8
05-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Not saying to get rid of the synergies but limit them for a certain gun group. Or have some weapon types have specific synergies:
Like BMG have a synergy called Combat Medic where the healing is a small percent better while taking damage.
Or a Detonator/Rocket Synergy called Big Boom that increases Damage a bit.
An Infector could have a Viral Synergy that increases the number of bugs or does extra Bug Damage.

It wouldn't be hard to come up with stuff strictly for a specific weapon group. Any synergy you get you can pretty much get a roll for so why not have radius damage rolls as a bonus synergy?

Whippy
05-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Not saying to get rid of the synergies but limit them for a certain gun group. Or have some weapon types have specific synergies:
Like BMG have a synergy called Combat Medic where the healing is a small percent better while taking damage.
An Infector could have a Viral Synergy that increases the number of bugs or does extra Bug Damage.

It wouldn't be hard to come up with stuff strictly for a specific weapon group. Any synergy you get you can pretty much get a roll for so why not have radius damage rolls as a bonus synergy?

Put my OJ Big Boomer into the equation... with Triple DMG Radius rolls (Green, Orange and Mastery). Imagine it with another TWO DMG Radius boosts from a synergy... That thing would be absolutely stupid in my opinion.

jackdaws_1999
05-19-2014, 11:59 PM

Stop this person, they are making sense... this is neither the place nor the game for sense.. Put a sock in it.... stop before the world comes to an end... we all know its really flat...

Griffix8
05-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Put my OJ Big Boomer into the equation... with Triple DMG Radius rolls (Green, Orange and Mastery). Imagine it with another TWO DMG Radius boosts from a synergy... That thing would be absolutely stupid in my opinion.

*Shrug* Just saying. Hypothetically speaking synergy could be created for a specific weapon group. It could OP a weapon, it could ruin a weapon. Its all chance. Besides I'd find it hard to see someone just waltzing up and finding an orange will super rolls like that unless they got EXTREMELY lucky (not saying it hasn't happened but still).

Oh the horror of compartmentalization...

polarity
05-20-2014, 02:17 AM
To be fair it makes perfect sense to have them synergies on weapons that can't use them. Makes looking out for that decent synergy all the worthwhile. Whats the point in constantly getting the best synergies on the best guns? Would make looking for that perfect gun boring and none beneficial.

It would make sense if they were from loot drops, because most random loot is just vendor trash, but the thing is, mods aren't random drops. They're bought from mod vendors, who you don't expect to be selling vendor trash, especially when the items have a color other than grey or white.

Ashlocke
05-20-2014, 03:06 AM

Having crap rolls in order to justify the "longer and more fulfilling chase" is simply bad game design. Ideally, every stat, and buff combination should be something useful and GOOD, and you can't have them all so you would want several weapons even of the same type in order to have specialized dedicated weapons for different tasks. For example, you might wand several different SMGs, one for long range sustained damage, another that excels at critical hits, and yet another for running and gunning, etc.