PDA

View Full Version : Punishment ?

Overwatch
04-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Most people play games for fun and enjoyment. Rewards are one of the biggest factors towards fun and enjoyment.
What are peoples feelings or thoughts on the punishments that this games dishes out.
Extractions fee....you know that loss of 180 script when you die and get extracted to a re-spawn point.
Lets not mention the loss of points.
You are in the middle of a fire fight tossing rounds at NPC's and you have used your heal stim, hoping it will revive in time to use your next one. Your hiding waiting for your shield to recharge and boom somehow you get side swiped by a rogue grenade and now need to self revive.
THe result is your score is now zero and/or you loose 1000 points.
So you can forget about that gold you were trying to achieve. To think you were so close, now you might as well abandon mission and restart.
Never mind restarting, by now you are so frustrated you quit and switch to some other game.
Why not play something else ? There are plenty of games that give rewards and no penalties.
Defiance is the first game i have ever played that penalizes you. Does anyone else know of other games that dish out penalties ?
One should not be frustrated by a game or at least I don't think a game should drive you to the point of throwing a controller at the wall. I do not know if it really happens but I have read in the forum where people get that frustrated.
Good thing no one is forcing me to play this.
I do not mind starting a mission over if I die, but seriously suffering a penalty for self-revive.
I do not mind starting a mission over if I die, but extracting for 180 script to a re-spawn point in the middle of the mission with a loss of all points ? Might as well just abandon mission and start all over.
One more reason to set the game on the shelf and not purchase the next DLC.

Deirachel
04-03-2014, 03:07 AM
Demon/Dark Souls (II) - loose a portion of your hitpoints each time you die, until you use an item to go from Hallow to Human
DayZ - start all over again with your character, or recover your gear where you died...if someone else doesn't get their first
Diablo/Diablo II - have to fight your way back to your body to recover your gear...
Wolfenstien/Doom/Doom II - start back at beginning of level with only a knife (and in one of them a pistol).
XCOM: Soldier's deaths are permanent, have to use resources to hire and new one, and train him/her from scratch

Being punished for dying is a GOOD thing. It makes you actually THINK about how you play the game. Without the punishment, you can just go stupid mode and zerg rush everything until it's dead. The reward is for playing well and smart.

Atticus Batman
04-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Demon/Dark Souls (II) - loose a portion of your hitpoints each time you die, until you use an item to go from Hallow to Human
DayZ - start all over again with your character, or recover your gear where you died...if someone else doesn't get their first
Diablo/Diablo II - have to fight your way back to your body to recover your gear...
Wolfenstien/Doom/Doom II - start back at beginning of level with only a knife (and in one of them a pistol).
XCOM: Soldier's deaths are permanent, have to use resources to hire and new one, and train him/her from scratch

Being punished for dying is a GOOD thing. It makes you actually THINK about how you play the game. Without the punishment, you can just go stupid mode and zerg rush everything until it's dead. The reward is for playing well and smart.

On the harder difficulties in Diablo 3, if you die, it makes you start a new character to replace the dead one, from what I've been told.

Btw the death penalty in this game is no bif deal. If you are dying so much, then you either need better sheilds or need to stay in Mt. Tam longer and level up more. All the enemies you are currently facing are much weaker than the ones that we had last year. With the new Dlc coming and adding dynamic enemy leveling, you better level up more, get better gear and learn not to die as much. Or start playing for fun and not care about a digital score so much.

Btw once you stop caring about score, you will find the game more fun, and as such your skills will improve because you are no longer so focussd on trying to outscore everyone, and are instead having fun just enjoying discovering the different nuances of the game..

Blondin
04-03-2014, 04:51 AM
Do you remember Mario and old games?
If you died and had no more lives you had to restart from the beginning, here you just have to pay 180 scrips. Seriously, games are so easy now, I can't understand that people whine about that... It's a joke.

Critical Errors
04-03-2014, 05:26 AM
Since I've been around for awhile, I found the new punishments quite annoying at first. I realized it very rarely limits my overall score though, and so I don't pay much attention to it anymore. I still manage to get my top tier rewards, and that's the goal anyways. More annoying is the lack of true rewards for making that goal. For many activities, it doesn't seem to be worth the extra effort. I think many of us playing are still waiting for the effort=reward balance to make sense.

Bleuford
04-03-2014, 05:44 AM
Most MMORPG games have repair costs when you die which gets more expensive as your gear becomes higher level. Many have some form of a corpse run. Old school games would make you "start from the beginning" of the level/labyrinth/entire game. Actually just about every game has some type of penalty for dying. Perhaps you could find someone to help you out and teach you not to die constantly.

rydda
04-03-2014, 05:49 AM
Easy fix keep moving when fighting npc you be ok then if you stay in one spot you most likely will go down.

drackiller
04-03-2014, 06:16 AM
On the harder difficulties in Diablo 3, if you die, it makes you start a new character to replace the dead one, from what I've been told...

Not on the harder dificulties Bat, it`s on Hardcore mode. If you die in Hardcore mode, it`s perma death and you lose every thing that your char has in the moment he dies.

N3gativeCr33p
04-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Most MMORPG games have repair costs when you die which gets more expensive as your gear becomes higher level.

Thankfully, not in DCUO... repair costs vary by how heavily damaged your gear is at the time. And the only "punishment" for getting dropped is having to re-spawn at a pod, that is, if nobody is there to revive you when your toon gets incapacitated.

Midori Oku
04-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Btw once you stop caring about score, you will find the game more fun, and as such your skills will improve because you are no longer so focussd on trying to outscore everyone, and are instead having fun just enjoying discovering the different nuances of the game..

I find it to be more fun when I do care about my score because of higher rewards. Plus it's fun to outscore everyone else!

Tsort
04-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Most MMORPG games have repair costs when you die which gets more expensive as your gear becomes higher level. Many have some form of a corpse run. Old school games would make you "start from the beginning" of the level/labyrinth/entire game. Actually just about every game has some type of penalty for dying.
This is true for older MMOs, but the trend is now for less / no penalties at all.

Different game modes (Ironman, higher difficulty, etc...) are a whole different story.

Atticus Batman
04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
I find it to be more fun when I do care about my score because of higher rewards. Plus it's fun to outscore everyone else!

That may be true for you, but I doubt you were strictly watching the score from the start like others do now. My point is that you should learn how to play and doge and get better sheilds before focusing on outscoring everyone. I had a friend who was a scorewhore but was always dieng and throwing a fit about how this game doesn't even have a simple roll function.

He was pissed at us, when we pointed out, it tells you how to roll in the tutorial and again in the first mission. Not our faults he was too busy focusing on score to actually learn the game!

Bonehead
04-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Meh...
The death tax stings a bit but I suppose it should.
Like B Man says...
No bif deal.

Bonehead
04-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Btw the death penalty in this game is no bif deal.

Atticus Batman
04-03-2014, 03:43 PM

Don't make me Biff you, for pointing out I forgot an F! Here's a biff bat!
http://www.partypacks.co.uk/images/products/product_95477_1_orig.jpg

Amun Ra
04-03-2014, 03:44 PM
It can become a bif deal if you die far too much.
Luck is also a factor here.
I can be pretty unlucky in that regard.
Being in a zone with 20 people, and having like all the mobs on you?
I have this every so often.
And usually, when i am running out of ammo.

So yes, at times, it can be a bif deal indeed.

TAG
04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
On the harder difficulties in Diablo 3, if you die, it makes you start a new character to replace the dead one, from what I've been told.

Btw the death penalty in this game is no bif deal. If you are dying so much, then you either need better sheilds or need to stay in Mt. Tam longer and level up more. All the enemies you are currently facing are much weaker than the ones that we had last year. With the new Dlc coming and adding dynamic enemy leveling, you better level up more, get better gear and learn not to die as much. Or start playing for fun and not care about a digital score so much.

Diablo 3 has regular and hardcore modes (most people wont play hardcore because they lose their toon and gear when they die)

Deunan
04-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Classic Anarchy Online you lost all your xp towards the next level if you died. While there were some game mechanics that helped mitigate this it would often result in you losing hours of progression towards the next level and level progression was much harder and slower than it is in this game.

Borderlands 2 you lose a portion of your money each time you die. It's a percentage of your money not a fixed amount so you can lose millions for a death.

This game is extremely forgiving regarding it's death penalties.

Bonehead
04-03-2014, 03:56 PM
It can become a bif deal if you die far too much.
Luck is also a factor here.
I can be pretty unlucky in that regard.
Being in a zone with 20 people, and having like all the mobs on you?
I have this every so often.
And usually, when i am running out of ammo.

So yes, at times, it can be a bif deal indeed.

I like the way you think Ra.

Bonehead
04-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Classic Anarchy Online you lost all your xp towards the next level if you died. While there were some game mechanics that helped mitigate this it would often result in you losing hours of progression towards the next level and level progression was much harder and slower than it is in this game.

Borderlands 2 you lose a portion of your money each time you die. It's a percentage of your money not a fixed amount so you can lose millions for a death.

This game is extremely forgiving regarding it's death penalties.

For the record I have lost multiple millions in ultimate vault hunter mode from death.

Overwatch
04-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Yes, there is that but then you will not be able to get gold on many pursuits. Playing Sniper Ghost Warrior or Sniper V2 are great for the tactician. Much of this game is designed around the run and gun mentality to receive many of the rewards. Try hiding behind a wall to recover shield and health in a Thorn Liro arena. Take your time in 101 Keys Dock and you will never get a bronze. Sure you may finish the dock but you certainly wont get a medal.
There are places within this game you can play smart, snipe from the shadows while still qualifying for the reputation to satisfy the contract.

Atticus Batman
04-03-2014, 07:41 PM
For the record I have lost multiple millions in ultimate vault hunter mode from death.

Try playing their overlevels! The prices are even more extreme for everything!

Deirachel
04-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Yes, there is that but then you will not be able to get gold on many pursuits. Playing Sniper Ghost Warrior or Sniper V2 are great for the tactician. Much of this game is designed around the run and gun mentality to receive many of the rewards. Try hiding behind a wall to recover shield and health in a Thorn Liro arena. Take your time in 101 Keys Dock and you will never get a bronze. Sure you may finish the dock but you certainly wont get a medal.
There are places within this game you can play smart, snipe from the shadows while still qualifying for the reputation to satisfy the contract.

There is a difference between playing smart and playing overly cautious. You can still play smart and be fast, for example. But your statement of taking your time at 101 Keys Arena and not getting bronze is incorrect. I soloed it for the mission and took my sweet *** time. Wearing an Ironclad with it's 6 sec delay, if my shield broke I ran away, hid until it was full and came back. Still got bronze. Then, I switched to a VOT Spanner as my secondary, and did it way faster. Shield hit last tic on the bar, switch to the spanner and replenish it. I was 150 points shy of silver, and still was taking time. You can solo gold Burk Academy Arena with the high DPS/BMG combo, even with two incapacitations (i.e. self-revive, and then self-revive again when it replenishes at standard rate). I know. I did it.

Jack Horrigan
04-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Diablo 2 also had a hardcore mode where if you died, you were dead. Unless you unlocked your body so a buddy could get your gear you lost everything. We used to call non hardcore "limpcore" because people were afraid to play hardcore. I have heard the same is true in D3.

N3gativeCr33p
04-04-2014, 05:48 AM
But your statement of taking your time at 101 Keys Arena and not getting bronze is incorrect. I soloed it for the mission and took my sweet *** time. Wearing an Ironclad with it's 6 sec delay, if my shield broke I ran away, hid until it was full and came back. Still got bronze.

Likewise... only I had a different shield equipped. :)

But alas, I got completely bored by the time I reached Dekuso's arena and stopped playing the new solo missions.