PDA

View Full Version : dark matter arkfalls - keys vs legendaries

SxB_xPUDDYTATx
04-07-2014, 12:29 AM
lately i have been faced with a bit of a choice at dark matter arkfalls:

choice 1 - i chase all the emergencies and rack up points at the monitor, easily scoring 30-40 keys. but by doing this, i guarentee myself 2 green weapons and a blue, or occasionally a purple.

choice 2 - i watch the arkfall on my map until it gets to the very end. i race in and do enough damage to get my score just over 5000. this only gives me one key, but i get an orange weapon 3 out of every four times i do this.

i know quite a few people having the same experience i am, and monitors are taking longer and longer to finish because of the number of people tagging them and moving on. im curious if this is an intentional thing in the game or some odd coincidence. it just seems that i have to make a choice between keys and legendaries and really would like an explanation on why it works this way.

drackiller
04-07-2014, 12:46 AM

choice 1 - i chase all the emergencies and rack up points at the monitor, easily scoring 30-40 keys. but by doing this, i guarentee myself 2 green weapons and a blue, or occasionally a purple.

choice 2 - i watch the arkfall on my map until it gets to the very end. i race in and do enough damage to get my score just over 5000. this only gives me one key, but i get an orange weapon 3 out of every four times i do this.

i know quite a few people having the same experience i am, and monitors are taking longer and longer to finish because of the number of people tagging them and moving on. im curious if this is an intentional thing in the game or some odd coincidence. it just seems that i have to make a choice between keys and legendaries and really would like an explanation on why it works this way.

This weekend i arrived at one near the end and i didn`t score more than 15K and i got an OJ. My first at a Major Dark Matter.

Chump Norris
04-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Ill have to give the score 5k thing a try because if I bust my *** and get #1 I end up with blue or lower as well.

Teddymouse
04-07-2014, 02:10 AM

That makes me sick as I can do the full Arkfall minors and boss or just boss and end up #1 several in a row and get greens and purple. Im gonna try this too...it will kill me though...hate doing almost nothing.

alienstookmybeer
04-07-2014, 05:51 AM
I was first in a darkfall yesterday and got an orange.. and yes, I had more than 5000 points.

wartitan
04-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Agreed, if I land on top of the score board I get crap. I've had two DMs now where I showed up for just the monolith (scored around 30k points both times) and score two OJs for it. Seems like the people who land anywhere from 8 - 15 on the scoreboard get the OJs...

jay ellis
04-07-2014, 10:43 AM
I love hearing everyone's theories about legendary drops. I tell everyone to go for the lucky leprechaun juice right when the monolith explodes.
The following is based only on my experience and that of my feiends and clan members. (There are a lot of us)
If you score the required minimum points to earn a top tier lockbox you will have roughly a 1:3 chance to get an orange. This is happening at the dark matter majors right now, but there is no minimum. I scored 1100 last night and got a tachmag pulser. Ive also finished first and got a vbi ar. This was happening at incursions a few weeks ago if you got the minimum and at sieges before that and at arkbreaks before that. When the next patch hits I'm guessing they will either pick a new event to be the orange generator or get rid of it entirely.
Lots of people say they cant score too high or they cant get there too early or they only get them on odd days of the month when they stand on one leg and play with their controler upside down. I think people have a tendancy to find patterns where there are none.
1:3 chance, so most of the time you walk away with junk.

Quebra Regra
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM
That makes me sick as I can do the full Arkfall minors and boss or just boss and end up #1 several in a row and get greens and purple. Im gonna try this too...it will kill me though...hate doing almost nothing.

yup number 1 -3 several times this weekend, with greens as my reward. WTF.

Sadly there were far fewer DM instances to far,

MAMGRIZZLY
04-08-2014, 07:28 AM
I love hearing everyone's theories about legendary drops. I tell everyone to go for the lucky leprechaun juice right when the monolith explodes.
The following is based only on my experience and that of my feiends and clan members. (There are a lot of us)
If you score the required minimum points to earn a top tier lockbox you will have roughly a 1:3 chance to get an orange. This is happening at the dark matter majors right now, but there is no minimum. I scored 1100 last night and got a tachmag pulser. Ive also finished first and got a vbi ar. This was happening at incursions a few weeks ago if you got the minimum and at sieges before that and at arkbreaks before that. When the next patch hits I'm guessing they will either pick a new event to be the orange generator or get rid of it entirely.
Lots of people say they cant score too high or they cant get there too early or they only get them on odd days of the month when they stand on one leg and play with their controler upside down. I think people have a tendancy to find patterns where there are none.
1:3 chance, so most of the time you walk away with junk.
What if I'm a clanmate and a fiend?:p

AnGeL
04-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Tried this out last night.

Round 1- Score of 50k: Reward was 2 blues and a green.

Round 2-Score of 7k: Reward was an Oj, a purp and a blue lol

Combo Breaker
04-08-2014, 08:56 AM
I have scored low and high and have received Legendarys , but it has always been blues and greens when I finish in 1st. I try so I can get keys, but I no longer try for 1st.

Quebra Regra
04-08-2014, 10:24 AM

I'm going to share my experience at the risk of having this event nerfed like everything else in the game...

Last night as an example, I showed up late for 2 monitor battles, sprayed some @#^% with my fire nano smg, scored 21st on the board at the end, and ended up with an ORANGE in both instances.

let's compare that to over the weekend, where I was leveling my infectors (primarily canker) and came in first on 3 monitor events, and in the top 5 on two others (don't ask me how the @#*&^ that happened)... NO OJs! Several of my clan mates who were at the bottom of the boards got OJs.

I don't give a !@#% about score, and it would would seem the reward system doesn't either :)

OrpheusXI
04-08-2014, 10:30 AM
This happened to me too, i didn't get even get 5k points when I showed up right at the end. lol This was the 2nd time it happened and never got an orange from an arkfall other than this.

ConcreteSnake
04-08-2014, 10:39 AM
I have similar experience, I get lots of points and keys I get like 3 blues. I show up to make a trade with someone and get like 15 points, dark matter ends and I get a legendary lol

Quebra Regra
04-08-2014, 10:51 AM
o.k., I think we are beyond the anecdotal...

Nothing to see here DEVs and CMs, move along please.

;)

OttawaREDBLACKS
dark matter arkfalls take so long because morons use the green ego boost to **** around because they are too stupid and don't have their damage numbers on. If they knew the purpose of it or if people actually explained the concept to people. Which is similar to the lets break the ****ing locks as soon as soon as you get down to the warmaster room (stupid ego device forced me to just about mute character volume and rely on subtitles).

ConcreteSnake
I have similar experience, I get lots of points and keys I get like 3 blues. I show up to make a trade with someone and get like 15 points, dark matter ends and I get a legendary lol

Teddymouse
04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
This is messed up...went to the only Major Dark Matter Arkfall last night got 14k points randomly shooting my Clustershot in the air and walked away with a super nice Invader. Guess I know what Im going to be doing...wonder if this works at other things.

Quebra Regra
04-08-2014, 11:59 AM
This is messed up...went to the only Major Dark Matter Arkfall last night got 14k points randomly shooting my Clustershot in the air and walked away with a super nice Invader. Guess I know what Im going to be doing...wonder if this works at other things.

Doesn't work the same for me with the Hellion, or Scrapper. :(

PimplyPete
04-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I'd like to add that I showed up late for a Dark Matter Arkfall the other day, got around 7k - 10- and it gave me an OJ SMG. Since then I try to get to a Dark Ark as soon as it pops up, and never got a OJ since.

So I'm thinking that lower scores gives a better chance at Legendaries at well....either that or this is the biggest coincident that the people in this thread has ever seen. :confused:

ConcreteSnake
04-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Doesn't work the same for me with the Hellion, or Scrapper. :(

that's because those ark falls don't reward with legendary.....only dark matter does

BIEBERyoloSWAG
04-08-2014, 12:11 PM
i literally showed up to one died 4 times because i wasnt playing shot the monolith a couple times. Scored 800 points and got an orange Mazu blast rifle. Booyah

Teddymouse
04-08-2014, 02:15 PM
2 for 2...got a super nice Stalker and Radiation Mazu Blast Rifle.

Overtkill21
04-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Ya'll wanna hear something funny? This was actually fixed at one point...very recently, I forget which patch, I noticed I was getting oranges - not for bottom tier score but for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place. I even messaged Arsenic about it but didn't mention it on here for fear of the "fix".

Nevertheless, it was undone by a subsequent patch and we're right back where we were - score the bottom score and win an orange. Yay!

Quebra Regra
04-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Ya'll wanna hear something funny? This was actually fixed at one point...very recently, I forget which patch, I noticed I was getting oranges - not for bottom tier score but for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place. I even messaged Arsenic about it but didn't mention it on here for fear of the "fix".

Nevertheless, it was undone by a subsequent patch and we're right back where we were - score the bottom score and win an orange. Yay!

Good news for slackers like myself :)

PimplyPete
04-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I just tried it on a Dark matter Arkfall, got around 12k points, came in 21st and got a OJ Shield, I got it captured so I'll post a video of it after more testing.:D

Teddymouse
04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Maybe its our payment for the problems.

Lillith Valerian
04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
You're all chasing voodoo pseudo-science non-sense, and it's called confirmation bias.

Last week I did four Dark Matter finals. Each time I got between 20 and 30 keys. I would get much more then that, but thanks to lag, my score repeatedly 'freezes', 'stutters' and won't advance, despite firing...the faster the DPS, the worse the problem.

I also got an orange every time. Four attempts. Four oranges. It's very possible.

Animal85
04-08-2014, 08:31 PM
and when you said about only source of ojs now in game trion is going to nerf this one too

Deunan
04-09-2014, 12:04 AM
There is zero relationship between score and the chance to receive an legendary item at Dark Matter Major Arkfalls. The only events where score is relevant to getting a chance at a legendary drop are sieges and once you break the Tier 10 threshold requirement score becomes irrelevant again.

It's amusing when players draw wild conclusions that fly in the face of actual game mechanics based on a few dozen data points out of thousands upon thousands of ones they couldn't possibly know about. Then whenever those data points stop swinging their way as they always eventually will they'll don their tin foil hats once again and cry "secret nerf".

Quebra Regra
04-09-2014, 08:12 AM
There is zero relationship between score and the chance to receive an legendary item at Dark Matter Major Arkfalls. The only events where score is relevant to getting a chance at a legendary drop are sieges and once you break the Tier 10 threshold requirement score becomes irrelevant again.

It's amusing when players draw wild conclusions that fly in the face of actual game mechanics based on a few dozen data points out of thousands upon thousands of ones they couldn't possibly know about. Then whenever those data points stop swinging their way as they always eventually will they'll don their tin foil hats once again and cry "secret nerf".

Yup supposition, but the only Monitors that haven't dropped ojs for me were ones where I scored in the top 3.... Anecdotal? O.k. so enlighten us oh sage one, tell us how it works since on almost no occasion the developer has been able to accurately describe their own system.

I'm down with da voodoo, so what other activities deliver OJs so reliably?

That said, I suspect there's an error in the code somewhere that will be "corrected" in the netx patch... I mean DLC. It's sad actually, as OJs were never that great anyway, and as they will be come less desirable post the "Revolution".

Extreme Rugburn
04-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Placement doesnt matter. If it dies everyone has the same flat percentage rate chance of getting a legendary. If I run around before the monitor drops I am almost always in the top 5, and sometimes I get legendaries, sometimes I dont. If I wait and jump in on a friend when the monitor drops Im usually around 18-21 and their isnt any difference in the drop rate in my opinion. I actually just jump servers constantly looking for major arkfalls so sometimes i get in early sometimes I dont. Like the dude said above me, 95% of the legendaries I get are crap anyway.

Quebra Regra
04-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Placement doesnt matter. If it dies everyone has the same flat percentage rate chance of getting a legendary. If I run around before the monitor drops I am almost always in the top 5, and sometimes I get legendaries, sometimes I dont. If I wait and jump in on a friend when the monitor drops Im usually around 18-21 and their isnt any difference in the drop rate in my opinion. I actually just jump servers constantly looking for major arkfalls so sometimes i get in early sometimes I dont.

Cool... I wish there was an easier way to jump servers/shards (sharts?). It would seem that others are catching on as populations at these events are dangerously full (read lag/disconnects).

jimpugh
04-09-2014, 08:56 AM
I had arrived late and in my haste could not squeeze off a shot .......the monitor was dead and leaning... all eye's.... on him..... with zero on my score.... I saw a dark matter soldier.... killed him ....before... I was blown..... sky high .

Got my ARK shield and bragging rights..... I have always had lots of fun and yes sometimes very good luck with monitor or dm as goes out on clan chat.....

so.... Never surrender and never give up .....try to shoot one if you have to flying thru the air at 300mph....

I say that because flying thru the air feels so real it is disturbing "The Shock Wave" reminds of the films during the cold war with all the little kids ME crawling under our desk in a drill..... So any way I pop my car or four wheeler and get in so .....I do not get the willies.....

happy trails
panheadjim

AnGeL
04-09-2014, 09:01 AM

I would normally agree, but when im at 0/5 OJ for a DM with a score of 35k+, and am now 4/4 OJ with a score under 10k...I play too much defiance to not notice things like this....

I would love this if it reversed, but I hate putting a bullet into a monolith and leaving....not fun at all

Quebra Regra
04-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I would normally agree, but when im at 0/5 OJ for a DM with a score of 35k+, and am now 4/4 OJ with a score under 10k...I play too much defiance to not notice things like this....

I would love this if it reversed, but I hate putting a bullet into a monolith and leaving....not fun at all

Funny, last night i noticed that I had accidentally accrued over 35k at the DM monitor.. I proceeded to spend the remaining time killing myself (cluster shot to the feet) and getting revived to reduce my score. End result: 21st place and an OJ telespanner protector.

Lillith Valerian
04-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Cool... I wish there was an easier way to jump servers/shards (sharts?). It would seem that others are catching on as populations at these events are dangerously full (read lag/disconnects).

Trick has made it a point to say he does not approve of shard hopping, and will not allow it beyond simply traveling to friends.

I wouldn't know where to find the link, but I know that for a fact. I read it myself.

bigguy
04-09-2014, 10:07 AM
If there were more things to do in any given shard then less people would be hopping between shards but its painfully obvious that they have to reduce the amounts of events happening to maintain a certain amount of server stability. There are definitly less events now then there were when gunslinger dropped and now the servers dont crash after an incursion. I may be wrong but it seems to me they lowered the number of events happening at the same time and therefore im constantly looking for something to do.

Tekrunner
04-09-2014, 10:17 AM
If there were more things to do in any given shard then less people would be hopping between shards but its painfully obvious that they have to reduce the amounts of events happening to maintain a certain amount of server stability. There are definitly less events now then there were when gunslinger dropped and now the servers dont crash after an incursion. I may be wrong but it seems to me they lowered the number of events happening at the same time and therefore im constantly looking for something to do.

I don't think they lowered these rates voluntarily. But we know that the rate at which some events pop up is tied to the number of players on the shard. There's usually a spike in player count right after a DLC drops, so that's probably why you would see more stuff happening back then. I know that these days I see double-incursion shards on weekends, but not really during the week.

maverick07
04-09-2014, 10:51 AM

I do know that the today Gunslinger dropped they took the number sieges on the map at one time from 4 to 2. I think that had more to do with getting SF incursion to spawn easier though.

Because I think that was the reason SF never spawned. There were almost always sieges due up down in SF and that was making the incursion down there not ever spawn.

drackiller
04-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I do know that the today Gunslinger dropped they took the number sieges on the map at one time from 4 to 2. I think that had more to do with getting SF incursion to spawn easier though.

Because I think that was the reason SF never spawned. There were almost always sieges due up down in SF and that was making the incursion down there not ever spawn.
And now Mt Tam is only a dream of past days...
Take one to put another...