PDA

View Full Version : Big Boomers - The be all, end all gun.

Error404
04-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Okay, so, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the big noober as much as any other person, but, what I do want to know is the following:

Why does a gun that can hit hit multiple targets hit harder than a bolt action sniper?

Why is a gun that can hit multiple targets and hit harder than a bolt action snipe able to fire faster?

Why is a gun that can hit multiple targets, hit harder than a bolt action sniper and able to fire faster than a bolt action sniper even in this game?

Who thought it was a good idea to give a gun with huge blast radius over 2k damage, barely require aiming, a fast fire rate and a modified mag all the benefits and no downsides?

What is the point of a VBI Grenade Launcher? It's basically a big boomer with far less damage and smaller blast radius.

What is the point of a Rebound Lobber? It requires aiming and does significantly less damage per hit over a smaller range.

What is the point of ANY detonator other than the big boomer?

TL;DR - The Big Boomer has all of its' eggs in one basket and needs balancing. It's too good. No other detonator comes close.

Deunan
04-09-2014, 10:49 AM
You can't really make a fair comparison of a detonator to a sniper rifle, especially a bolt action sniper rifle without factoring in critical damage. Detonators don't have critical multipliers and a properly modded bolt action sniper rifle will deliver at least twice the single target damage of a Big Boomer. If it were otherwise you would see informed players using a Big Boomer on the Warmaster when it is hanging off the wall instead of Wolfhound pistols and fast bolt action and semi-automatic sniper rifles.

The Big Boomer is remote control activated detonator so how fast it fires a grenade isn't determinative of it's effective rate of fire if you're comparing single shot capability and the time it takes to fire land and activate isn't faster then a fast bolt action sniper rifle. If you're talking about firing off an entire clip and then detonating that's even slower.

Having a large blast radius doesn't equate to being more accurate and it's quite possible to miss a smaller moving target at further distances. On that note a Boomer without velocity rolls and mod doesn't have much range. It doesn't matter how much damage it can do if it can't even reach it's target and the effective range of a sniper rifle is literally any target that can be seen. Big Boomer's that have velocity rolls and mods may have significantly increased range but they are even more inaccurate. I have one that has exceptional range and projectile speed but where the retical is pointing bears little relation to where the grenade will land.

Ground Pounders and Clusterdrops do more damage. The reason Big Boomer's are preferred in some situations like PvP and spawn camping is because of the delay that Ground Pounders and Clusterdrops have with one detonation to launch the three additional grenades and then the detonation of those grenades. When that's not relevant they are the preferred detonator, i.e. The Motherlode and the Warmaster during its ground phases.

Don't get me wrong. It's a hell of a weapon and the best detonator to use in almost any situation in the game that benefits from the use of a detonator, but a shallow analysis of what it can do versus other weapons tends to undermine an argument that it needs adjustments.

Error404
04-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Actually, they DO crit...Around 1.5x crit.

What I'm saying is the gun has literally no disadvantages to it.

It hits harder than a bolt action sniper, it requires relatively no aiming, it hits multiple targets, hit fires fast, has instantaneous damage and does more damage than every other gun in the game WHILST being able to hit more than than one target.

Name any other gun in the game that offers the same benefits?

The only reason ground pounders are even used is because of the damage calculation bug with them going directly through immortality phases/damage resistance, otherwise, big boomers would beat them out there too.

It has literally no disadvantages vs a plethora of HUGE benefits.

AnGeL
04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
I love big boomers but the OP is right...there is NO POINT to any other DET in the game....maybe the incenertor for the FIRE dmg, but thats it.

drackiller
04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
There is no point for other snipers other than Surge Bolters, let`s take all the snipers of the game except th SB.
There is no point for other AR than the VBI AR, let`s take all the AR`s in the game except the VBI AR.
There is no point...i think you get where i want to go...

Nerf everything in this game.

AnGeL
04-09-2014, 11:07 AM
There is no point for other snipers other than Surge Bolters, let`s take all the snipers of the game except th SB.
There is no point for other AR than the VBI AR, let`s take all the AR`s in the game except the VBI AR.

lol ok good point :p
I dont agree about the AR side of things (im a FRC man myself), or SMG, but everything else you are right haha

Error404
04-09-2014, 11:10 AM

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

ARs? Heavy AR is a great hard hitter, very satisfying. Blast rifles offer crazy proc rates.

Snipers? EEC Snipers offer free cloak/great damage, vot bolters offer rapid fire rate, VBI Snipers offer nice crits...

Your example is a Surge Bolter, a weapon that has the following disadvantages:

Charge up.
Slowed movement speed.
Required to aim.
Single target. (With minimal exceptions)

Also, the Surge Bolter WAS the go to weapon, it had all the benefits and no downfalls...

What happened to it? The same thing that needs to happen to big boomers.

Quebra Regra
04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
um, no....

I show up with my infector, hose the place down on full auto, go hide behind cover, hit the kitchen and make a sammich, come back and PROFIT! Number 1 on the scorboard!! How dat happen?

ironcladtrash
04-09-2014, 11:22 AM
I actually like the Rebounder, it's damage sucks but it's fun to bounce of the walls where you can. I can even make a case for the Matchlock because it does make a difference to me that I don't have to manual detonate it.

I also can't figure out what purpose The VBI grenade launcher serves either. I got a legendary 7th legion version and can't figure out yet why I would use it over a Big Boomer.

drackiller
04-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Charge up.
Slowed movement speed.
Required to aim.
Single target. (With minimal exceptions)

Also, the Surge Bolter WAS the go to weapon, it had all the benefits and no downfalls...

What happened to it? The same thing that needs to happen to big boomers.

The Surge Bolter is still the best Sniper compared to the rest no matter what you say.
There is bound to be a weapon that is always far better than other weapons, if you nerf one weapon another will take it`s place.

Sure the Big Boomer is great, but only in the right circumstances and i found it useful only at sieges AND i think that they are great only because the game fails to deliver, because if mobs had the time to properly spawn and not be dead before they even spawn the weapon wouldn`t have such an importance.

Not really sure if i made my self clear :)

Crying nerf isn`t the best solution.

Fuzzle
04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Okay, so, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the big noober as much as any other person, but, what I do want to know is the following:

Why does a gun that can hit hit multiple targets hit harder than a bolt action sniper? It doesn't

Why is a gun that can hit multiple targets and hit harder than a bolt action snipe able to fire faster? Why does a tachmag SMG fire faster? It's a different weapon with a different purpose.

Why is a gun that can hit multiple targets, hit harder than a bolt action sniper and able to fire faster than a bolt action sniper even in this game? Why is any gun in the game? To give other fun options to use.

Who thought it was a good idea to give a gun with huge blast radius over 2k damage, barely require aiming, a fast fire rate and a modified mag all the benefits and no downsides? There ARE downsides. Very low range, no ignoring armor, risking of blowing yourself up with the large blast radius, mag size of 2, having to reload for a detonation, doesn't do full damage to everything in its full blast radius.

What is the point of a VBI Grenade Launcher? It's basically a big boomer with far less damage and smaller blast radius. It has a larger mag.

What is the point of a Rebound Lobber? It requires aiming and does significantly less damage per hit over a smaller range. To hit enemies behind walls. Yes it's an inferior damage weapon, but not all weapons in this game were created equal. Don't ask to nerf a VOT Blaster because your magnum sucks.

What is the point of ANY detonator other than the big boomer? Clusterdrop/Ground Pounder is higher DPS and ignores armor, in several cases it's FAR superior to the big boomer. Smaller blast radii on others give them more safety in closer quarters while still allowing AOE. Rebound lobbers can be shot around blind corners.

TL;DR - The Big Boomer has all of its' eggs in one basket and needs balancing. It's too good. No other detonator comes close. Or rebalance other detonators to feel more useful

You've been here since march of last year and are suddenly crying out about a weapon that hasn't changed in the entirety of that time. It seems to me like someone outperformed you at something and now you're mad.

TANKballs
04-09-2014, 11:37 AM
BBs are not the "be all, end all gun." Just because something is strong doesn't mean you should cry nerf. There are plenty of trade offs to using a BB. Accuracy, Mag-cap, reload, and distance make this weapon far less effective than say an AR. It is the best detonator, by far, but that doesn't mean it deserves to be nerfed anymore than the FRC or VBI ARs. Seriously...why do people beg for nerfs when we get the shaft regularly. Adapt and overcome...

MadMoxxiFavGun
04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
#groundpounder

Error404
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
You've been here since march of last year and are suddenly crying out about a weapon that hasn't changed in the entirety of that time. It seems to me like someone outperformed you at something and now you're mad.

No. How can you not see how a single gun has more advantages than any other gun in the game?

Point out one true downside to Big Boomers.

Let's list the advantages, shall we?

Spawn control.
No requirement to aim.
Rediculous damage.
Hits more than one target
Large mag capabilities.
Fast fire rate.
Instantaneous damage.
Large area of effect.
Can pull 25% and 45% Speedboost rolls giving it a severe advantage other other weapons. (Though, in this case, it's roll specific, however, upcoming DLC is changing this so practically any Big Boomer can have this, given invested time...)

Now let's list the downsides.

You can kill yourself with it.
...?

Nope, that's about it.

Error404
04-09-2014, 11:44 AM
#groundpounder

A weapon only good because of a bug in coding.

Quebra Regra
04-09-2014, 11:50 AM

I'd be interested to know more about this bug.

Deunan
04-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Actually, they DO crit...Around 1.5x crit.I didn't say they don't do critical damage. I said that they have no critical damage multipliers. 1.5 is the basic critical damage multiplier that all weapons get from hitting mob soft spot(s). Sniper rifles have decent to high inherent critical damage multipliers and the possibility of 2 additional critical damage rolls along with a critical damage barrel mod.

What I'm saying is the gun has literally no disadvantages to it.When you engage in hyperbole expect to be called on it. If you mean that it literally has no disadvantages to it over the use of any other weapon in the game that's an absurd argument.

It hits harder than a bolt action sniperNo it doesn't. Nothing you've stated changes the fact that as a single shot weapon it doesn't hit harder than sniper rifles and that it does inferior damage to them when critical damage is a factor as it is for the Warmaster.

...it requires relatively no aiming...Notwithstanding that you completely ignored my explanation about the mechanics of the gun and it's lack of accuracy to land on a moving target or land near one from greater distances, the only time it requires no aiming is when the player using it is dangerously close to a target or it's being used to spawn camp.

...hit fires fast...It doesn't hit any faster than any other remote control detonator. It hits considerably slower than other types of guns.

has instantaneous damageActually it does not. No remote control detonator does. It's what makes them good spawn camping weapons.

and does more damage than every other gun in the game WHILST being able to hit more than than one target.No it doesn't. There are lots of weapons that deliver more single target critical damage, or even non-critical damage (e.g. sawed-off shotguns). Groundpounders and Clusterdrops deliver more area of effect damage nothwithstanding that you seem to think otherwise. Each grenade launches three additional grenades that each do the same base damage as the single Big Boomer grenade.

The only reason ground pounders are even used is because of the damage calculation bug with them going directly through immortality phases/damage resistance, otherwise, big boomers would beat them out there too.I have no idea what you're talking about when you refer to "immortality phases/damage resistance" but all explosive damage bypasses the armor of the Warmaster to do direct damage to his health if that is what you are referring to. As I explained above Clusterdrops and Groundpounders simply deliver 3 times the amount of damage to a large target like the Warmaster. That's not up for debate. It's simple mathematics.

OttawaREDBLACKS
04-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Other then the additional 30+% added damage, the ease of getting beneficial rolls. Just saying for an example of sutro it required a minimum of 4 to ensure all the dark matter died, now 2 is a guarantee that you will be rag dolling the bodies over a far distance.

On the topic on the surge bolter I would like to know even one circumstance that isn't full charged up and in cloak, in pvp that it is even useful for using.

Fuzzle
04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Other then the additional 30+% added damage, the ease of getting beneficial rolls.

Ah, they did a weapon revision gave all detonators/rockets that bonus didn't they? I misspoke slightly then. And they did clean up some of the roll tables and give rolls for all rarity levels, as well as damage based on rarity. These changes applied to all weapons though not just boomers.

Lillith Valerian
04-09-2014, 12:10 PM
The Surge Bolter is still the best Sniper compared to the rest no matter what you say.

Debate pro-tip: Stating 'no matter what you say' doesn't make your opinion any more factual. :)

It's not even in my top three, although I do use it. 'Best' is usually relative, if not subjective.

For the record, I feel the ability to preset charges at spawn parts is horrible meta-gaming, and the equivalent of being able to fire bullets from your gun and have them pause in mid-air for release. It's pow-shtako, and stickies should be wiped from the ground right before spawns occur.

Deunan
04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Other then the additional 30+% added damage...20% was added for rocket launchers and detonators. 30% was added for sem-automatic sniper rifles. The former was requested by a significant number of players. The latter was done because they misunderstood why players wanted and still want a larger sniper rifle ammunition pool.

Players were complaining about the Big Boomer in PvP before they got the damage increase though.

duction
04-09-2014, 12:27 PM
i like the big boomers, working as intended :)

MadMoxxiFavGun
04-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Other then the additional 30+% added damage, the ease of getting beneficial rolls. Just saying for an example of sutro it required a minimum of 4 to ensure all the dark matter died, now 2 is a guarantee that you will be rag dolling the bodies over a far distance.

On the topic on the surge bolter I would like to know even one circumstance that isn't full charged up and in cloak, in pvp that it is even useful for using.

hold up. i was killing the whole group of dark matter all the time at suctro with only two way before the buff.

Fuzzle
04-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Point out one true downside to Big Boomers.

Let's list the advantages, shall we?

Spawn control. Rocket launchers, grenades, and any other detonator can do this for small mobs - no detonator can do this for a hulker spawn.
No requirement to aim. Only partially true
Ridiculous damage. "Ridiculous" is an opinion, and its damage is only high in burst capacity.
Hits more than one target As does any detonator, rocket launcher, several bmgs, and infector bugs
Large mag capabilities. Roll or mag reliant
Fast fire rate.Does no good if you don't get large mags, even then it's subject to long reload times and a relatively small mag size
Instantaneous damage.It's one of the least instantaneous damage weapons in the game. It has a slow travel time and requires reload to detonate
Large area of effect.One of it's two unique qualities (the other being damage, hence being a BIG boomer and not an average boomer)
Can pull 25% and 45% Speedboost rolls giving it a severe advantage other other weapons. (Though, in this case, it's roll specific, however, upcoming DLC is changing this so practically any Big Boomer can have this, given invested time...) You're grasping. Rolling your boomer for a singular specific mastery is a prohibitively long time (and possibly cash) investment, with 0 guarantee you will get it.

Since most of your complaints seem tired to a person's ability to camp a spawn point, I believe your complaint seems to be more about spawn camping than anything, which is a different issue. The big boomer is indeed the best spawn camping weapon for groups of mobs, particularly afflicted. It is not the only one capable though.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you refer to "immortality phases/damage resistance"

Cluster weapons (weapons that break apart) do full damage against targets that have their own standard damage mitigation (a hellbug warrior or monarch for example) where other detonators like big boomers do not. They also can damage seemingly invulnerable (to players) things such as the destructible walls in Dekuso's room (which is a blessing IMO).

Error404
04-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Since most of your complaints seem tired to a person's ability to camp a spawn point, I believe your complaint seems to be more about spawn camping than anything, which is a different issue. The big boomer is indeed the best spawn camping weapon for groups of mobs, particularly afflicted. It is not the only one capable though.

Cluster weapons (weapons that break apart) do full damage against targets that have their own standard damage mitigation (a hellbug warrior or monarch for example) where other detonators like big boomers do not. They also can damage seemingly invulnerable (to players) things such as the destructible walls in Dekuso's room (which is a blessing IMO).

Immortality phases include the Matron rising/descending, the Piercer between health drops, Dekuso in bubble, etc.

You're still failing to address my point though. The big boomer has no downsides vs the benefits it offers, in comparative to every other gun in the game.

MadMoxxiFavGun
04-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Immortality phases include the Matron rising/descending, the Piercer between health drops, Dekuso in bubble, etc.

You're still failing to address my point though. The big boomer has no downsides vs the benefits it offers, in comparative to every other gun in the game.

the matron you cant do that anymore with the ground pounder and what are you talking about with dekuso? me and my friends have the best way to kill him with a ground pounder and it has nothing to do with him having his shield.

Error404
04-09-2014, 12:47 PM
the matron you cant do that anymore with the ground pounder and what are you talking about with dekuso? me and my friends have the best way to kill him with a ground pounder and it has nothing to do with him having his shield.

1: Yes you can.
2: Stick the ceiling above him. You're welcome.

Deunan
04-09-2014, 12:53 PM
You're still failing to address my point though. The big boomer has no downsides vs the benefits it offers, in comparative to every other gun in the game.You're opinion has been addressed multiple times over. The Big Boomer does have downsides to other weapons depending on the situation. Even in the context of just detonators, Clusterdrops and Groundpounders deliver almost 3 times the DPS of a Big Boomer with the drawback of being outperformed by Big Boomers for spawn camping and PvP.

MadMoxxiFavGun
04-09-2014, 12:55 PM
1: Yes you can.
2: Stick the ceiling above him. You're welcome.

congrats you described what me and my friends been doing for the last year. how is there anything wrong with it? it fires sticky nades which is suppose to stick to the ceiling. you still have to bust his generators.

Ironhide
04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
:rolleyes:

OMG, adapt to big boomer users, I can score more points by using a BMG and infector, than people using any boomer at a siege. Besides you only have to reach 20,000 to 27,000 to get top tier rewards.

Bonehead
04-09-2014, 06:44 PM

That is coming with the bullet sponge patch my friend.

Bonehead
04-09-2014, 06:45 PM

Bugs? In Defiance?

Surely you jest!

Bonehead
04-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Debate pro-tip: Stating 'no matter what you say' doesn't make your opinion any more factual. :)

It's not even in my top three, although I do use it. 'Best' is usually relative, if not subjective.

For the record, I feel the ability to preset charges at spawn parts is horrible meta-gaming, and the equivalent of being able to fire bullets from your gun and have them pause in mid-air for release. It's pow-shtako, and stickies should be wiped from the ground right before spawns occur.

Nice pro tip Pink. Very chuckleworthy.
Agreed on the snipers. While I do like the surge bolter as well it's not in my top three either. A one hit kill is a one hit kill and if I don't have to wait for the charge... so much the better.

Lillith Valerian
04-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Agreed on the snipers. While I do like the surge bolter as well it's not in my top three either. A one hit kill is a one hit kill and if I don't have to wait for the charge... so much the better.

Roughly broken down, I say...

1.) Multi-crit bonus Assassin FRC Bolt Action for methodical, cloaked kills. The multiplier is crazy.
2.) VBI 'Lifestealer' for blunt-force damage in moderate-paced combat. The raw damage is crazy.
3.) Assassin Ranger with all the trimmings for fast-paced combat. I have no problem double-tapping.

I'm the farthest thing from an experienced FPS player. Just my personal opinion / taste.

If my favorite weapons are effectively rendered useless with DLC 5, I'll lose all interest in this game.

shawshank1198
04-09-2014, 07:02 PM
I didn't say they don't do critical damage. I said that they have no critical damage multipliers. 1.5 is the basic critical damage multiplier that all weapons get from hitting mob soft spot(s). Sniper rifles have decent to high inherent critical damage multipliers and the possibility of 2 additional critical damage rolls along with a critical damage barrel mod.
When you engage in hyperbole expect to be called on it. If you mean that it literally has no disadvantages to it over the use of any other weapon in the game that's an absurd argument.
No it doesn't. Nothing you've stated changes the fact that as a single shot weapon it doesn't hit harder than sniper rifles and that it does inferior damage to them when critical damage is a factor as it is for the Warmaster.
Notwithstanding that you completely ignored my explanation about the mechanics of the gun and it's lack of accuracy to land on a moving target or land near one from greater distances, the only time it requires no aiming is when the player using it is dangerously close to a target or it's being used to spawn camp.
It doesn't hit any faster than any other remote control detonator. It hits considerably slower than other types of guns.
Actually it does not. No remote control detonator does. It's what makes them good spawn camping weapons.
No it doesn't. There are lots of weapons that deliver more single target critical damage, or even non-critical damage (e.g. sawed-off shotguns). Groundpounders and Clusterdrops deliver more area of effect damage nothwithstanding that you seem to think otherwise. Each grenade launches three additional grenades that each do the same base damage as the single Big Boomer grenade.
I have no idea what you're talking about when you refer to "immortality phases/damage resistance" but all explosive damage bypasses the armor of the Warmaster to do direct damage to his health if that is what you are referring to. As I explained above Clusterdrops and Groundpounders simply deliver 3 times the amount of damage to a large target like the Warmaster. That's not up for debate. It's simple mathematics.

It's ok 404, this guy always likes to prove he is right. Regardless of the validity of your argument, you will lose. He will condescendingly disagree because his data is always right. I say you should use the weapon that you like and have fun!

drackiller
04-10-2014, 12:58 AM

I said that as an absolute but in a relative way, sort of speaking.
I like to play with snipers and my favorite is in fact the Extra Life sniper rifle.

Riz
04-10-2014, 02:10 AM
Just like in every shooter there is and will always be one weapon of each weapontype that is OP compared to the other ones of that type. And just like in every other shooter only a few of those 'top' weapons become players-favorites.

IMO the Stingray is the only usefull BMG. A Ground Pounder works magic against Hellbugs, but the Big Boomer is overall the better performing detonator. No pistol can match the Wolfhounds crit dmg, and no LMG can outperform the SAW.

Borderlands 2 has the Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold and the Norfleet that are in every players loadout. Defiance has the Big Boomer, the Wolfhound, Surge Bolter and SAW as golden pieces. No need to nerf anything. In fact Trion should be forbidden to nerf anything anymore. It'll only get worse lol.

Bonehead
04-10-2014, 03:45 AM
I said that as an absolute but in a relative way, sort of speaking.
I like to play with snipers and my favorite is in fact the Extra Life sniper rifle.

Yea that was my fave too.
I'll probably sell it to a vendor when the bullet sponge patch hits.

Tekrunner
04-10-2014, 04:44 AM

That's unsurprising, given how only a unicorn triple crit orange sniper can outdamage it.
... and I happen to have one of those (my one unicorn weapon), except it's a headshot bolter. So it hits a little less hard, but I quite like that the much higher fire rate makes it more forgiving.

BarrySciFi
04-10-2014, 07:03 AM
As someone said earlier, big boomers DO have crit rates, they just aren't listed. I have one with three crits that I stopped using once everyone else started using them. It hits it's crit most of the time and it hits even harder than with damage rolls. I think crit is better than damage rolls on it, actually. I don't think most people realize that yet. Anyway, it is an idiot's weapon- no skill required. Much like bmgs

Amun Ra
04-10-2014, 09:04 AM
It's called big boom since it just does that: nuke a heap of targets.
It does what it's supposed to do.
Sad, but true.

If ANY weapon should be severely toned down, it'd be the swords.

OrpheusXI
04-10-2014, 04:07 PM

You win the thread.

Seriously, it never gets old one weapon gets nerfed people look for the next best thing after that. Never ending story.

Might as well take the Wolfhound out too or nerf too.

Atticus Batman
04-10-2014, 10:58 PM
You win the thread.

Seriously, it never gets old one weapon gets nerfed people look for the next best thing after that. Never ending story.

Nerf all the players!............Oh wait! That is what DLc 5: Ark Revolting (Dawn of the Bullet Sponge!) is doing!

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t667/atticusbatman/bat%20emotions/0c92cab4-5fad-4ae7-8925-c506da75372c_zps974baa4f.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/atticusbatman/media/bat%20emotions/0c92cab4-5fad-4ae7-8925-c506da75372c_zps974baa4f.jpg.html)

Ambelina
04-10-2014, 11:21 PM
You win the thread.

Will take a decent VBI TACC AR over a good VBI AR any day...But then again I'll also take a Bull Rush over a Wolfhound, Rocker over a SAW, Disruptor over Thunder.... also The Flare... Mmmm Love one shooting people in PvP with Flares!