PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Public Service Announcement: DLC 5 - Griefing & the Low Ego Arkhunter

Overtkill21
04-11-2014, 08:20 AM
On Tuesday April 15 a new “DLC” or rather “Patch” will drop for the red-headed stepchild that is Defiance.

When this happens, there will be griefers that will be able to ratchet up the level of the enemies you are facing and then they will leave – leaving you at the mercy of “scaled” enemies.

These folks are going to be able to do this because of Trion’s infinite wisdom of adding a vertical progression to weapons and enemies without fully thinking it through (a very common theme for Defiance as you’ll see if you stick around).

The idea was that an EGO 5000 player, and EGO 2000 player, and an EGO 100 player could still play together because – though the enemies would scale up to the highest player’s EGO the lower EGO players would scale up to the average of the players around. (So in the case of the situation above – the EGO 100 & 2000 players would scale up to about 2367 EGO) Now, what if the EGO 5000 player leaves?

Well apparently you will lose your EGO Scaling and drop down to previous pitiful damage levels – but, get this – the enemies will stay scaled to that EGO 5000 player until they are defeated!

So good luck killing those beasts…

But it gets better –

Here’s a story for you:

Once upon a time there was an EGO 500 player at Mine 98 plugging away at 99ers when an EGO 5000 player drives by. Bolstered by the possibility of high EGO help the EGO 500 player dives into the fray as the threat level elevates, the enemies get harder, and they scale to roughly half of the high EGO player.

The EGO 500 player’s enthusiasm soon turns to dread though as the high EGO player continues driving past. The EGO 500 player goes down for the first time; his EGO scaling drops back to EGO 500 as does the threat level but the enemies stay at EGO 5000 until they are defeated. So he revives, in hopes he can put up some sort of defense, but that hope is immediately dashed as he goes back down again…then he extracts.

The End.

This will be the ultimate grief-fest on Tuesday, April 15 for ALL low EGO players out there…

I wish you all luck, for I know there are those players out there that will be intentionally griefing and then add to that all of us just driving around.

N3gativeCr33p
04-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Here's a thread that is sticky worthy, if I've ever seen one.

ConcreteSnake
04-11-2014, 08:28 AM
The one thing this game didn't really have that most other mmo type games have is griefing, and that's what I liked about it. Now I will be unintentionally doing to others? Awesome, way to make me feel bad about myself while playing this game. I stopped playing GTA V MP because of the griefers, so maybe its time for Defiance too. My guess is that it will take a month or 2 and then they will remove the scaling due to a lack of player base and to try to generate new players around the time of season 2.....because if someone new starts playing because they see the show, id give them about 20 minutes before they snap that $6 disc in half and take a few shots of vodka.

Ironhide
04-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks Overt.

Yeah I was just sitting here and thinking, and If a non-griefing helpful person can think of this, no telling what people being real tools will come up with.
All of you fresh level players beware as well when first entering the Mount Tam area from the tutorial section. You will have some griefers sitting there just to elevate the threat level and spawn uber enemies. They will sit an watch the slaughter or teleport away. You have been warned.

Combo Breaker
04-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Well no more tapping a contract area and letting someone else finish it. You don't know that they can now.

Lucent
04-11-2014, 09:19 AM
....But it's not JUST griefing...
I'm sorry but I am not going to go out of my way to NOT drive around the map so that I don't accidentally scale up the enemies for someone. If I fast travel somewhere and then drive by a place close enough to scale it up, I'm not being a jerk. I'm just traveling through the world. I'm not going to stop at everything to help because Trion broke the world and gave me the magical power to make enemies harder.

Ironhide
04-11-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm sorry but I am no going to go out of my way to NOT drive around the map so that I don't accidentally scale up the enemies for someone. If I fast travel somewhere and then drive by a place close enough to scale it up, I'm not being a jerk. I'm just traveling through the world. I'm not going to stop at everything to help because Trion broke the world and gave me the magical power to make enemies harder.

We know this and are not saying it is, but there will be some tools that will do it for fun, just for their kicks.

N3gativeCr33p
04-11-2014, 09:35 AM
... but there will be some tools that will do it for fun, just for their kicks.

Indeed... griefing defined.

wartitan
04-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Boy, if they didn't think about this scenario, it really could doom the game. I guess when I imagined enemy scaling, it would go both ways to avoid this. It wouldn't just calculate average EGO level ONCE during the course of a mission, but do so in a certain interval (say every 5 to 15 seconds). Even if a Volge Superior spawned, it's health and power could diminish the same way the players "buff" would go away.

Hopefully the player isn't the only object that would be receiving and losing this buff based on average EGO present...

Overtkill21
04-11-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry but I am not going to go out of my way to NOT drive around the map so that I don't accidentally scale up the enemies for someone. If I fast travel somewhere and then drive by a place close enough to scale it up, I'm not being a jerk. I'm just traveling through the world. I'm not going to stop at everything to help because Trion broke the world and gave me the magical power to make enemies harder.

I completely agree Lucent - I will NOT be one of the intentional griefers but I travel the map like Marco Polo - there will be collateral damage to my globe trotting. I am NOT going to go out of my way to avoid causing it.

As such I will count myself as one of the unintentional griefers that will, with the help of the numerous intentional tools out there, slowly make this game unplayable for new players.

And the reason for all this...

...because grenades.

Overtkill21
04-11-2014, 09:44 AM
...Hopefully the player isn't the only object that would be receiving and losing this buff based on average EGO present...

You see the problem with this becomes a scaled enemy - say he's scaled up to max EGO and gets 20,000 HP as a result - so the high EGO and low EGO proceed to start whooping on him - then the High EGO disconnects - if the scaled enemy was now to reverse scale - he'd likely go into negative HP and insta-die.

Also, how about a High EGO player engaging an instance and then getting far enough away to reverse the scale and then closing the distance and re-engaging to smoke everything?

Deunan
04-11-2014, 09:51 AM
This is premature. It may very well end up like this but they may make adjustments to open world scaling mechanics before the update goes live. They've made changes to DLC updates within days of release before. I know I filed several feedback reports on the test server about this problem with open world scaling mechanics over the past week and I'm sure others have as well.

I would have hoped no one would have posted what's basically a "how to grief" players thread about this mechanic notwithstanding that griefers would have caught on by themselves eventually. Some of the players I spoke with on test server agreed that it wouldn't be productive to do so and we simply pointed it out in our feedback reports but oh well.

The way the mechanics work now it's highly probable that if it goes live there won't actually be many opportunities to grief other players in this way anyway because even with the low population on test servers that consisted of players that don't do things like that, the natural mechanics of open world scaling was causing Tier 2 to Tier 4 mutants to spawn all over Mt. Tam with no high EGO rating players in sight when they spawned. There is clearly something off about the mechanics if the fact that a high EGO rating player drove through the area before an actual spawn causes scaling. Hopefully they will fix this. Otherwise April 15th will henceforth be known by the populace of the Bay Area as Mt. Tam Massacre Day.

edn
Well they finally figured out a way to "un-intentionally" get rid of players so that they could shut down the servers and call it quits so that they could get back to their other game.

wartitan
I think the insta-die thing wouldn't be so bad...especially if you look at a case like the Volge. If you look at the afflicted or hellbugs, you probably didn't damage the entire mob enough for ALL of them to insta-die on high EGO disconnect.

I think the second scenario you mentioned would be resolved IF they do the interval scaling at a low enough interval (5 seconds or less). By the time the high EGO would reverse the scale and try to get back they would scale up again.

But I have NO faith that Trion thought of any of this...

Overtkill21
04-11-2014, 10:02 AM
This is premature...

I personally don't feel 4 days prior to release AND after submission to the console stores can be considered premature.

If Trion were to wish to combat this then one would assume they would communicate that sort of thing by updating the patch notes and certainly doing so prior to announcing a release date less than 1 week away.

Overwatch
04-11-2014, 10:16 AM
OP you make an extremely valid point about the scaling and the possible problems it will cause. The grief is will cause either intentionally or unintentionally.
You have however forgotten the server conspiracy theory. Servers are only capable of supporting X amount of players at a time.
This is the fact that TRION is relying upon to weed out the lesser to average player and keep the Loyalist.
People like me will become so frustrated that I will stop clogging up the servers and move on to another game.
Or actually move back to World of Tanks and World of Warplanes for a more satisfying and fulfilling chase.

Deunan
04-11-2014, 10:35 AM
I personally don't feel 4 days prior to release AND after submission to the console stores can be considered premature.They've done it after submission before. It seems there are some things they can do and some things they can't under the protocols.

If Trion were to wish to combat this then one would assume they would communicate that sort of thing by updating the patch notes and certainly doing so prior to announcing a release date less than 1 week away.HAHAHAHAHAHA

redskull
04-11-2014, 10:39 AM
I think if they were to dynamically scale the enemies in a way to where say the scaling instantaneously change given certain factors such as distance, it would cause much more stress on the servers. The only plausible solution to me would be to have set spawn table's for certain zones that weren't dynamic. Say Mt. Tam it'd be fixed to a lower level ego spawn tables where as in San Fran it'd be higher. It makes much more logical sense if they saved the dynamic scaling for special events such as arkfalls. Also why the hell don't they just unlock all perk slots for lower levels. I'd think this might make things more evened out for the lower levels just starting out.

Another thing I don't understand is, whats the point in having weapon skill after this patch. It bugs me they make no mention of scaling weapon's with skill level.

Nefarious
04-11-2014, 10:40 AM
I pointed this out when the blog post was announced and I was told it would not be a big deal since lower level players would get a buff to hold their own. I knew this would happen.

I have no idea how this is truly going to work. Even after reading it.

The biggest thing Ive experienced with Level Scaling in Defiance was a Major Arkfall event was going on in very close proximity of a very big Shadow War. The odd thing though was that there was only a hand full of players taking part of the outside portion of the Major Arkfall and I guess the game took all those other players very near by in the Shadow War into consideration and there was nothing but Elite Dark Matter and Elite Bulwarks. And lots of them. And when it came down to it was just us few players Vs these mass amount of Elite enemies.

Now with the new update whats stopping groups of Max Level players going into beginner zones or events with Low Level players and not participate but in turn up the difficulty on them?

Well how do you think I thought of such a thing. :cool:

But the big picture is that what if the whole scenario of what I described with the Shadow War happens again near any Event or Emergency or whatever takes the Ego Scaling into account? Or a legion of players drive through someone's mission as they head to the next Arkfall site and that just so happens to spring up way higher level enemies for that single person?

I myself don't have a problem with harder enemies showing up and taking everyone out. Its cool to be apart of hard fights. I guess the Frontier is truly going to be a deadly place now.

So be it.

Nefarious see's the future yet again!

Overtkill21
04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Figured that line would make you laugh. LOL

BJWyler
04-11-2014, 10:59 AM
So not only am I getting punished by the new scaling system for having max/high EGO (thanks to all the QQers who wanted the game to be harder), but now I will also get to punish all of those people around me I am playing with?

Wow, this might be the first time ever my enthusiasm for logging into and playing a game I have thoroughly enjoyed since Day One, every day, has suddenly waned. I just don't know what to say. If the scaling and thus resultant challenge was optional, that would be one thing. But to be forced into having an increased challenge I do not want, well, this would be the first time I would ever stop playing an active game willingly.

drackiller
04-11-2014, 11:02 AM
So not only am I getting punished by the new scaling system for having max/high EGO (thanks to all the QQers who wanted the game to be harder), but now I will also get to punish all of those people around me I am playing with?

This my friend is called : Sado-Masochism

Before this "dlc" Defiance players in a good majority were only masochists, but now TRION is leveling up the game to another stage of pain.

Blondin
04-11-2014, 11:44 AM
I finally found a use for my Craptor, thank you Trion, I will ride with some high Ego friends, in this 4 seats vehicle of doom*, making spawn hard mobs everywhere :)

* In fact Sledgehammer was not lying, and in fact Trion had already planned that we could do that to grief noobs, that's why they called it the vehicle of doom, mwahahahahhaaaa...

Edit : the "truck of doom" not vehicle (sorry...)

AnGeL
04-11-2014, 11:51 AM
I finally found a use for my Craptor, thank you Trion, I will ride with some high Ego friends, in this 4 seats vehicle of doom*, making spawn hard mobs everywhere :)

* In fact Sledgehammer was not lying, and in fact Trion had already planned that we could do that to grief noobs, that's why they called it the vehicle of doom, mwahahahahhaaaa...

So stealing your idea....the grief truck

Like an ice cream truck, but not as tasty.

{How I picture my craptor now!)

http://carhumor.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/car-humor-funny-joke-mad-max-truck-moscow-russia-1.jpg

jay ellis
04-11-2014, 12:50 PM
I fast travel to my friends all the time searching for incursions and arkfalls on other servers. Just want to apologize to all of you. If it looks real bad I'll probably stick around and help. Don't delete me, please. Mwahahaha.

Deunan
04-11-2014, 01:36 PM
I fast travel to my friends all the time searching for incursions and arkfalls on other servers. Just want to apologize to all of you. If it looks real bad I'll probably stick around and help. Don't delete me, please. Mwahahaha.OMG I hadn't even thought about this. :(

Z0mb1E
04-11-2014, 01:42 PM
When everyone talks about scaled enemies, I keep envisioning fighting snake people. Not that I would mind fighting snake people, anything would break up the redundancy of the same factions/enemies we've had since day one. But at least now when you're higher level or fighting with someone higher level, they'll look more awesome!!!

jay ellis
04-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Maybe trion didn't either

Deunan
04-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Maybe trion didn't eitherOr maybe they did. Remember, Trick doesn't like players jumping shards.

Morgana
04-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi guys, I just wanted to drop you guys a line after reading this thread and talking with Trick himself about how the boosting works.

Encounters and events scale up their threat rating based on the number of players that show up to take them on: it's the increased threat rating itself that boosts up low-level players and enemies alike.

If a high level player leaves the encounter, it doesn't actually reduce the threat rating, and so the amount of boost that a low-level player has isn't reduced either.

Agent Freeman
04-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Scaled up characters dont lose their boosted levels - even if they die or leave and come back. Thats how I've seen it work so far.

Its actually quite beneficial for a low level character to get boosted. It is only a little more challenging but you get more experience and you level weapons quicker since you are doing more damage but the requirements for weapon mastery and skill levels are not changed.

Rokea
04-11-2014, 02:54 PM
On Tuesday April 15 a new “DLC” or rather “Patch” will drop for the red-headed stepchild that is Defiance.

When this happens, there will be griefers that will be able to ratchet up the level of the enemies you are facing and then they will leave – leaving you at the mercy of “scaled” enemies.

These folks are going to be able to do this because of Trion’s infinite wisdom of adding a vertical progression to weapons and enemies without fully thinking it through (a very common theme for Defiance as you’ll see if you stick around).

The idea was that an EGO 5000 player, and EGO 2000 player, and an EGO 100 player could still play together because – though the enemies would scale up to the highest player’s EGO the lower EGO players would scale up to the average of the players around. (So in the case of the situation above – the EGO 100 & 2000 players would scale up to about 2367 EGO) Now, what if the EGO 5000 player leaves?

Well apparently you will lose your EGO Scaling and drop down to previous pitiful damage levels – but, get this – the enemies will stay scaled to that EGO 5000 player until they are defeated!

But it gets better –

Here’s a story for you:

Once upon a time there was an EGO 500 player at Mine 98 plugging away at 99ers when an EGO 5000 player drives by. Bolstered by the possibility of high EGO help the EGO 500 player dives into the fray as the threat level elevates, the enemies get harder, and they scale to roughly half of the high EGO player.

The EGO 500 player’s enthusiasm soon turns to dread though as the high EGO player continues driving past. The EGO 500 player goes down for the first time; his EGO scaling drops back to EGO 500 as does the threat level but the enemies stay at EGO 5000 until they are defeated. So he revives, in hopes he can put up some sort of defense, but that hope is immediately dashed as he goes back down again…then he extracts.

The End.

This will be the ultimate grief-fest on Tuesday, April 15 for ALL low EGO players out there…

I wish you all luck, for I know there are those players out there that will be intentionally griefing and then add to that all of us just driving around.
Then the Ego 500 player realized that the 5000 player just coast him a crap ton of scrip because he died and had to revive and pay the death tax.

Overtkill21
04-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Hi guys, I just wanted to drop you guys a line after reading this thread and talking with Trick himself about how the boosting works.

Encounters and events scale up their threat rating based on the number of players that show up to take them on: it's the increased threat rating itself that boosts up low-level players and enemies alike.

If a high level player leaves the encounter, it doesn't actually reduce the threat rating, and so the amount of boost that a low-level player has isn't reduced either.

Well that is all well & good - however - since the scaling of the lower EGO player is average and not to the actual EGO of the higher player - a single EGO 5000 player showing up on the scene for a single EGO 500 player and leaving will have the EXACT effect I described.

So it would seem griefing, that is still absolutely going to happen, is more of a solitary activity.

wartitan
04-11-2014, 03:59 PM
I guess the morale of the story here is....if you're new to the game, make friends quickly and never play alone...

Deunan
04-11-2014, 04:20 PM

If a high level player leaves the encounter, it doesn't actually reduce the threat rating, and so the amount of boost that a low-level player has isn't reduced either.That doesn't really resolve the issue. Mobs scale up when players with higher EGO rating show up but they don't scale down when those players leave and new arrivals don't get the Threat Level buff to EGO rating and weapon and shield power rating afterwards. This is why players with low EGO rating on the test server are not getting EGO rating and power boosts and are getting slaughtered by Veteran, Hardened and Formidable Mutants at conflict sites and by random patrols with no players with high EGO rating in sight.

Further, it's not clear what constitutes "showing up" and the game obviously can't read the players minds to know if they've "shown up" to fight the mobs or are just there to grab a data recorder or just passing by in general. It also doesn't explain why when high tier mobs despawn, the ones that spawn in their place are sometimes still higher tier mobs when my EGO rating <500 character is the only one around within radar distance.

I sent a PM days ago to Trick and Scapes asking for specifics about how the mechanics of open world scaling work and haven't heard back from either of them. What you've posted doesn't shed any light on very specific questions I asked about open world scaling mechancs in my PM. We can't help you fix it if we don't even know if it's broken. Nevertheless I've filed feedback as to what is so obviously bad about open world scaling mechancis as they exist on the test server.

Mt. Tam is basically the beginner area of the map. If this is how the game greets new players it will suffer much higher attrition rates for new players once DLC 5 goes live. There is nothing in the training session that explains open world scaling to them and other MMO games generally don't put high end mobs into newb territory so they'll simply think the game is stupidly hard and leave the game after barely starting it.

Noble_One
04-11-2014, 04:20 PM
wait a second i thought the game only scaled to YOUR ego (so if im with some one lower it doesnt matter since it scales to them not me). so you are telling me if a 5000 ego person goes back to the stating area they make the mobs 2500 in ego strength? that seems odd and broken.

Bonehead
04-11-2014, 04:41 PM
wait a second i thought the game only scaled to YOUR ego (so if im with some one lower it doesnt matter since it scales to them not me). so you are telling me if a 5000 ego person goes back to the stating area they make the mobs 2500 in ego strength? that seems odd and broken.

Nobody knows for sure how it works. We just know that If you are a low to medium ego player, You will be slaughtered in Mt Tam or other open world places by top tier mobs due to how the creative team has engineered the new scaling mechanics.
Quite possibly "working as intended" sad to say.

Overwatch
04-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Yet, you can purchase enough Ark Forge in the Store to instantly level your character to EGO 5000.
This is the main point you are missing.
1000 Ark Forge for 40$ U.S.
What is the rate of climb ? 100 ego for 1000 ark forge ? ( just a guess )
Or am I wrong here. Can you only raise your weapons ego rating ?
Why raise your weapon EGO when all you need to do is find another one or purchase from a Vendor ?
What does this have to do with scaling ?
People that do not spend money will eventually quit due to the LONGER chase.
The fun will be non existent for the average or below average player.

ConcreteSnake
04-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Yet, you can purchase enough Ark Forge in the Store to instantly level your character to EGO 5000.
This is the main point you are missing.
1000 Ark Forge for 40$ U.S.
What is the rate of climb ? 100 ego for 1000 ark forge ? ( just a guess )
Or am I wrong here. Can you only raise your weapons ego rating ?
Why raise your weapon EGO when all you need to do is find another one or purchase from a Vendor ?
What does this have to do with scaling ?
People that do not spend money will eventually quit due to the LONGER chase.
The fun will be non existent for the average or below average player.

well its 50 arkforge to gain 100 ego rating on a single item. You can't level you character with arkforge, only weapons and shields.

Xaat Xuun
04-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I didn't read the last 2 pages, so if this comment was mentioned already . . Opps

contracts in Mount Tam ,will be a large problem with starting Ego's and Higher EGO's, and possibly other zones too.
Road side emergencies possibly not so much , since the higher EGO will most likely be pulling all the Aggro anyways.
where now the problem lies with the Low ego never getting a kill, but only assist, this making it tougher for there Achievements completions , so one is pretty much needs to take that moment to send a group invite

Not sure what the range of "Nearby" would be, sending a invite to someone, that is actually not engaged may be a issue too .
I don't think every-time someone goes near someone, they want to hit 'ctrl' just to see what that players ego is. Maybe some do that anyways , I dunno

I would guess, to avoid any unintentional griefing, you just need to group up

Deunan
04-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Why raise your weapon EGO when all you need to do is find another one or purchase from a Vendor?It takes time and effort farming multiple loot drops from events, vendors and lock boxes to get a really good weapon (weapon type and model, rarity, rarity bonus stats, synergy, mastery bonus and nano effect). These bonuses can make one weapon of the same EGO rating deliver over 50% more DPS compared to another weapon of the same EGO rating. Players aren't going to want to abandon their good weapons, especially the most rare (orange ones with good variables) as they may not find another one as good as it is for weeks to months.

Chocolatelover67
04-11-2014, 07:13 PM

But it gets better –

Here’s a story for you:

The End.

OMFG..................

That happened to me a while back when I died from the mine foreman at "turrets and technicians"... I don't know if the other player was a high EGO player but he seemed to one shot the big guy and my mission ended with no rewards, plus the other bad guys were a lot harder to kill then when I first started that mission.

I don't know if that's the kind of thing you mean Overtkill21 but that's what happened. This was my 2nd attempt at that mission with no other players helping.

InfamousBrad
04-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Fixed in the 4/10 patch. I say "fixed," what they did was change all conflict sites to EGO 0, they only spawn low-level mobs. Running through a conflict site with a level 5000 weapon is hilarious, you one-shot everything, so it'll be basically no XP. But it will be fast dailies and weeklies.

Tsort
04-12-2014, 01:13 AM
If a high level player leaves the encounter, it doesn't actually reduce the threat rating, and so the amount of boost that a low-level player has isn't reduced either. ...but his (albeit buffed-up) low EGO equipement still doesn't fully match buffed up enemies, right? Or else there would be no point to scaling and leveling at all.

Overtkill21
04-12-2014, 02:01 AM
...but his (albeit buffed-up) low EGO equipement still doesn't fully match buffed up enemies, right? Or else there would be no point to scaling and leveling at all.

Heyyyyyy, I thought I was the one poking holes...LOL

Bonehead
04-12-2014, 02:56 AM
There are some apex hellbugs hanging out near bug and chug with a long leash.
Good troll bait.

Overtkill21
04-12-2014, 10:50 AM
The Griefing - It is coming...

drackiller
04-12-2014, 11:55 AM
The Griefing - It is coming...

Releasing SOON in a PC/Console near you ;)

mr8liner
04-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Maybe if we do enough greifing, they will get rid of this change that is coming. I know that from time to time I'm gonna do some griefing myself.

I really think this is going to drive away alot of players.

I don't know why they don't give an option to play"normal" or "difficult" I think doing that would make this Patch alot better.

BJWyler
04-12-2014, 12:49 PM

What about those that don't want to take part in the boosting or the scaling? What about those people who think the challenge they are getting from the game right now is just fine? Finding a way to increase challenge and difficulty is fine for those players who desire such things, but what about those who do not?

drackiller
04-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Maybe if we do enough greifing, they will get rid of this change that is coming. I know that from time to time I'm gonna do some griefing myself.

I really think this is going to drive away alot of players.

I don't know why they don't give an option to play"normal" or "difficult" I think doing that would make this Patch alot better.
Because they don`t know!? That`s my best guess...but i should`nt guess like old commander Adama used to say...

Blondin
04-12-2014, 01:49 PM
What about those that don't want to take part in the boosting or the scaling? What about those people who think the challenge they are getting from the game right now is just fine? Finding a way to increase challenge and difficulty is fine for those players who desire such things, but what about those who do not?
That's a valid point.

Lillith Valerian
04-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Fixed in the 4/10 patch. I say "fixed," what they did was change all conflict sites to EGO 0, they only spawn low-level mobs. Running through a conflict site with a level 5000 weapon is hilarious, you one-shot everything, so it'll be basically no XP. But it will be fast dailies and weeklies.

...I...I...huh. I feel this weird empty spot where outrage used to be.

Now I don't know whether to laugh out loud at the patent absurdity of it all, or just shrug my shoulders and walk away for good.

Bonehead
04-12-2014, 08:25 PM

We just don't count my friend.

Bonehead
04-12-2014, 08:26 PM
...I...I...huh. I feel this weird empty spot where outrage used to be.

Now I don't know whether to laugh out loud at the patent absurdity of it all, or just shrug my shoulders and walk away for good.

Welcome to resignation.

Overtkill21
04-12-2014, 10:12 PM
What's insulting is we can see the holes - just as we did with the grenades - and they just won't listen.

Funny how they're adding Grenade Ammo and scaling grenades by EGO now - seeing as how with the Grenade change we told them grenade ammo would be a better solution than their "smart loot" and that Grenades should still have variables by EGO.

Well, this time when they decide to listen they'll likely have no one left to fix anything for.

Bonehead
04-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Well, this time when they decide to listen they'll likely have no one left to fix anything for.

This is the first time since launch I have actually thought that same thing seriously.

Chocolatelover67
04-13-2014, 03:20 AM
What will all the changes mean if you don't buy DLC

Chocolatelover67
04-13-2014, 03:23 AM

Or "easy" for those that sometimes can't play normal...... :D

Bonehead
04-13-2014, 03:30 AM
What will all the changes mean if you don't buy DLC

They will mean you get all the bullet spongie goodness without the new weapons (not missing anything there) or 15 new perks you can totally live without and some other small crap. Kind of like 7th legion except for changing the whole game. No new missions or story/lore.

You can read the incomplete patch notes (aren't they always?) here
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?154724-Patch-1.500-Draft-Notes!

BJWyler
04-13-2014, 03:30 PM
We just don't count my friend.

Ahh, so just like a working class voter in this wonderful US of A!

Welcome to resignation.

And what a sad Nation we are, us Resigs

Chocolatelover67
04-13-2014, 09:12 PM
They will mean you get all the bullet spongie goodness without the new weapons (not missing anything there) or 15 new perks you can totally live without and some other small crap. Kind of like 7th legion except for changing the whole game. No new missions or story/lore.

You can read the incomplete patch notes (aren't they always?) here
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?154724-Patch-1.500-Draft-Notes!

Thanks for the link. So to get stuff related to the next season of the TV show you have to "cough" buy stuff....... Nice Trion

Now give me my "easy mode" so I can play how I want to play LOL........

Atticus Batman
04-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the link. So to get stuff related to the next season of the TV show you have to "cough" buy stuff....... Nice Trion

Now give me my "easy mode" so I can play how I want to play LOL........

Think you are reading that wrong. None of the tv show-related missions are ever paid content.

As for easy mode, that won't happen. This is a persistent world, so you are stuck with the new dynamic scaling system as well.

wild liza
04-14-2014, 02:35 AM
will your ego 5000 decoy be able to grief?

Tsort
04-14-2014, 02:45 AM
will your ego 5000 decoy be able to grief?
I'm under the impression, and I'm not the only one, that YOUR OWN DECOY ACTUALLY GRIEFS YOU.

So...

wild liza
04-14-2014, 02:52 AM
I'm under the impression, and I'm not the only one, that YOUR OWN DECOY ACTUALLY GRIEFS YOU.

So...

it will grief just not in the way intended lol.

NeuroticHitman
04-14-2014, 05:31 AM
Overt-You pose a very valid argument (that I sadly agree with). Without "naming/shaming" I can think a handful of DB's who have already acknowledged that they will be doing this very thing. I'm not going to get too worked up about it just yet though because there is one common denominator that it seems nobody has taken into consideration:

Every "DLC" (**laughs**) breaks the game in some way, shape, manner, or form. Gunslinger took what...two weeks to "fix"!? Not that I don't have the UTMOST in faith in the Devs but, I will be shocked if I can log into the game after PATCHING...OOPS...I mean "downloading DLC" and dive right into the the new ridiculousness without crashes, more bugs than a Hellion Arkfall, or having to completely reinstall the game for the umpteenth time. A complete overhaul of game mechanics...grab the popcorn boys and girls!!

Chocolatelover67
04-14-2014, 05:40 AM
Overt-You pose a very valid argument (that I sadly agree with). Without "naming/shaming" I can think a handful of DB's who have already acknowledged that they will be doing this very thing. I'm not going to get too worked up about it just yet though because there is one common denominator that it seems nobody has taken into consideration:

Every "DLC" (**laughs**) breaks the game in some way, shape, manner, or form. Gunslinger took what...two weeks to "fix"!? Not that I don't have the UTMOST in faith in the Devs but, I will be shocked if I can log into the game after PATCHING...OOPS...I mean "downloading DLC" and dive right into the the new ridiculousness without crashes, more bugs than a Hellion Arkfall, or having to completely reinstall the game for the umpteenth time. A complete overhaul of game mechanics...grab the popcorn boys and girls!!

Haha I like your sig.

Made me think of Agent 47 vs Dark Matter now that would be cool.

N3gativeCr33p
04-14-2014, 05:41 AM
... or having to completely reinstall the game for the umpteenth time.

This is part of the reason why I deleted everything from my hard drive this weekend. Might as well save myself some time and trouble once I actually decide to check out the new DLP... only because I am a season pass schmuck.

A complete overhaul of game mechanics...grab the popcorn boys and girls!!

And you know this...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2837510/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

NeuroticHitman
04-14-2014, 05:45 AM
only because I am a season pass schmuck. And you know this...

Yeah the Ultimate Edition wasn't one of the wisest purchasing decisions I have made in my lifetime...

Overtkill21
04-14-2014, 06:57 AM
In less than 24 Hours - it begins...

DLC 5 - The Griefing

Where will you be when Defiance gasps its last?

Releasing Everywhere**
April 15, 2014

A Production of Inc. Ompitynce brought to you by Trion Worlds Inc.

** Everywhere except PS3 because we still can't get the Outlook Calendar to work right.

Bonehead
04-14-2014, 07:45 AM
A complete overhaul of game mechanics...grab the popcorn boys and girls!!
That's what I'm talking about!
http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn_zpsec7bf0bd.gif

Tsort
04-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Every game has bugs.

Defiance has HELLBUGS. It's topical.

N3gativeCr33p
04-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Every game has bugs.

Defiance has HELLBUGS. It's topical.

... and comical.

dramaQkarri
04-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Clearly -----* -------* is creating the game HE wants to play - even if he has to play it by himself. Too bad I'm on PS3 - would love to see the Xbox carnage pan out.

Too bad I'm going to accidentally grief everyone on my 5K. I'd rather not do that, but it's going to happen. Sorry everyone.

*redacted to protect ME.

Lillith Valerian
04-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Too bad I'm going to accidentally grief everyone on my 5K. I'd rather not do that, but it's going to happen. Sorry everyone.

A 5000k Ego player driving across badlands full of low Ego players....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQIECfKQgw

NeuroticHitman
04-14-2014, 09:15 AM
a 5000k ego player driving across badlands full of low ego players....

Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!
http://a.gifb.in/032014/1394460690_enthuziast_test_drive_dummy.gif

drackiller
04-14-2014, 10:47 AM
People working at TRION makes me think the old saying:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx142/ToniCareca/111111111111111_zps84756bba.jpg (http://s750.photobucket.com/user/ToniCareca/media/111111111111111_zps84756bba.jpg.html)

N3gativeCr33p
04-14-2014, 10:53 AM
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx142/ToniCareca/111111111111111_zps84756bba.jpg (http://s750.photobucket.com/user/ToniCareca/media/111111111111111_zps84756bba.jpg.html)

Three of my favorite emojis on my iPhone... I use them almost daily.

Hear no evil monkey, see no evil monkey, speak no evil monkey.

Blondin
04-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Think you are reading that wrong. None of the tv show-related missions are ever paid content.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, it was said that the last 3 dlc should have be a link between season one and season two of the show, all we had is stuff that we will never see in the show, canadian samurais and cow-boys, no new content and map, just game mechanics changes.

(but you're right, episode missions related to show are free)

Atticus Batman
04-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Yeah the Ultimate Edition wasn't one of the wisest purchasing decisions I have made in my lifetime...

Not sure I can argue there other than to say I did the same with Rage and traded it in less than a month later because it had no replay value and other than the cool weapons it got boring quick, but still play Defiance regularly. But Hellbug Steve does look good next to Gizmo!
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t667/atticusbatman/defiance/Photo-0189_zpsbc292f93.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/atticusbatman/media/defiance/Photo-0189_zpsbc292f93.jpg.html) And yes I have dusted since the pic was taken.

N3gativeCr33p
04-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Hey Bats... that VCR is all sorts of PIMP!!!

Chocolatelover67
04-14-2014, 08:01 PM
You can buy Hellbugs? oooh where, where? Want!!

I want a tee that says "Shtako happens" I've seen them on the net but the international shipping is kind of putting me off.

Bonehead
04-14-2014, 09:36 PM
I was just on the test server doing contracts with a 1200 ego toon just to get the feel you know? So a 5000+ toon shows up to "help out" and one shots everything in sight. I end up with a couple of keys and a low score. I'm pretty sure the player did not intend to grief me but there are many who will do this intentionally or not.
This bullet sponge patch is going to kind of suck for the low and intermediate player imho.
The difficulty curve could have been tweaked without reinventing the wheel yet again.

Deunan
04-14-2014, 10:26 PM
I end up with a couple of keys and a low score. I'm pretty sure the player did not intend to grief me but there are many who will do this intentionally or not.I don't see how this changes much. You can't get more than one or two keys at most conflict sites in the game now. They're basically only worth doing for the contracts and reputation tokens which you get regardless of your score.

Bonehead
04-14-2014, 10:47 PM
I don't see how this changes much. You can't get more than one or two keys at most conflict sites in the game now. They're basically only worth doing for the contracts and reputation tokens which you get regardless of your score.

Point taken for most. This was Kinship and I could have at least doubled my keys and exp if I had been able to hit at least a few mobs here and there. The other side of the coin is I didn't have to do anything and I would have gotten the rep.

Chocolatelover67
04-15-2014, 01:07 AM
This is starting to sound kind of sh*tty what they are doing to the game.

NeuroticHitman
04-15-2014, 05:28 AM
Not sure I can argue there other than to say I did the same with Rage and traded it in less than a month later because it had no replay value and other than the cool weapons it got boring quick, but still play Defiance regularly. But Hellbug Steve does look good next to Gizmo!

Damn my "old elite" bit it years ago...I guess I should say "ELITES". I think I have retired three of them. I'm playing on the stupid "Glossy" 250gb. My "Steve the Hellbug" is sitting next to "Santa Spawn" taking a swipe at him...hehehe...and the VCR...DAMN...
"Please be kind...Rewind"

NeuroticHitman
04-15-2014, 05:30 AM
not sure i can argue there other than to say i did the same with rage and traded it in less than a month later because it had no replay value and other than the cool weapons it got boring quick
ps-zero replay whatsoever...so much potential...unnnghhh...

Quebra Regra
04-15-2014, 05:35 AM
You can buy Hellbugs? oooh where, where? Want!!

I want a tee that says "Shtako happens" I've seen them on the net but the international shipping is kind of putting me off.

Nooo, no no, no DEFAINCE gear to be sold by TRION... move along, nothing to see here! Sorry bit of a hobby horse for me. How the !@*&#^ can they not get the merchandise rolling when they cash grab at everything else?

Chocolatelover67
04-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Nooo, no no, no DEFAINCE gear to be sold by TRION... move along, nothing to see here! Sorry bit of a hobby horse for me. How the !@*&#^ can they not get the merchandise rolling when they cash grab at everything else?

LOL so true!!!!!

I'm surprised syfy haven't got their fingers in the merchandise pie

fletch
04-15-2014, 06:55 AM
People should read the facts before whining like *****es. I copied and pasted the below from another source.
If your high ego effects another persons mission by boosting the baddies then the low level player will be buffed to compensate.

Enemies will not only adjust their levels and quantity but their difficulty tier as well with upgraded enemies changing how they look for easier identification. Low EGO rating players will be able to stand in fights with these high-level foes by means of a special temporary buff.

Bonehead
04-15-2014, 07:01 AM
People should read the facts before whining like *****es. I copied and pasted the below from another source.
If your high ego effects another persons mission by boosting the baddies then the low level player will be buffed to compensate.

Enemies will not only adjust their levels and quantity but their difficulty tier as well with upgraded enemies changing how they look for easier identification. Low EGO rating players will be able to stand in fights with these high-level foes by means of a special temporary buff.

That's how it's supposed to work but the reality is quite different for lower and medium level players.
For example on the test server my low level toon gets a boost to 4500 for threat level 10 mobs.
They are still virtually impossible for me to kill.
You may be there as a low ego toon with a buff, but you won't be standing.

ConcreteSnake
04-15-2014, 07:02 AM

but if you are near them and they buff (which is not the same as being higher ego) and don't help them, they get slaughtered. Lets say I'm ego 5200 and I go near an ego 500 player, they get buffed to 4500 (which is barely good enough to compete with the enemies) and I just stand there, not fighting, they get the beat down. Were justa few hours away from finding out for sure, but it will be fun to drive around in a raptor with 4 ego 5000 players constantly changing egos and enemy types. Not to mention if a high ego player leaves the area, sure everyone gets debuffed, but the elite enemies stay the same.

N3gativeCr33p
04-15-2014, 07:04 AM
How the !@*&#^ can they not get the merchandise rolling when they cash grab at everything else?

Maybe their 401k accounts will start seeing deductions?

Bonehead
04-15-2014, 07:06 AM
One thing to keep in mind is the mob's leash is longer than the buff zone. If you run for cover, they can follow you outside the buff zone. Much bleeding ensues.

Tsort
04-15-2014, 07:56 AM
That's how it's supposed to work but the reality is quite different for lower and medium level players.
For example on the test server my low level toon gets a boost to 4500 for threat level 10 mobs.
They are still virtually impossible for me to kill.
I've experienced the exact same thing.

Overtkill21
04-15-2014, 08:42 AM
but if you are near them and they buff (which is not the same as being higher ego) and don't help them, they get slaughtered. Lets say I'm ego 5200 and I go near an ego 500 player, they get buffed to 4500 (which is barely good enough to compete with the enemies) and I just stand there, not fighting, they get the beat down. Were justa few hours away from finding out for sure, but it will be fun to drive around in a raptor with 4 ego 5000 players constantly changing egos and enemy types. Not to mention if a high ego player leaves the area, sure everyone gets debuffed, but the elite enemies stay the same.

And this is how The Griefing works. I completely see that players like fletch could misunderstand. Gotta love how polite he was at displaying his ignorance on his very first forum post.

fletch
04-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Well if I'm wrong or misunderstood then I apologise. I guess we all find out shortly.

DEATHBRINGER210
04-15-2014, 04:12 PM
I drive around alot

Atticus Batman
04-15-2014, 06:38 PM

It may buff low ego peeps but only to the average ego rating of all there. Your guns will not be anymore powerful than before though.

Chocolatelover67
04-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Obvious question so sorry folks but why did they feel the need to buff things up?

Bonehead
04-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Obvious question so sorry folks but why did they feel the need to buff things up?

They had no money for art, actors, design staff, or writers.

Chocolatelover67
04-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Hmmmm OK patching has finished now to play the game and die many times LOL

ezekieo
04-15-2014, 10:14 PM
This was a fun game to play, but after playing 2 hours on one main mission today with a full group all around the same ECO Rating, we all gave up! (around 800 ECO-Rating)

The patch has killed our enjoyment from this game.

(Once upon a time, this game had no griefers. There just wasn't a way to grief other players... however, on April 15... they were given the opportunity and hell breaks lose in the game.)

Knyghtmare
04-15-2014, 10:39 PM
the Problem is they didnt thing this through enough if your going to scale our Ego to those around us you Seriously need to scale our weapon Damage to cause scaling some ego from 500 to 4750 in a major arkfall is great but not when they are using a weapon that only does 250 Damage its like shooting the boss with spit balls

Devs you dropped the ball on this one

Deunan
04-15-2014, 10:52 PM
It may buff low ego peeps but only to the average ego rating of all there. Your guns will not be anymore powerful than before though.It does scale your damage up as well. You'll still be seriously OD'd by the players with the higher EGO ratings with updated weapons though.

Knyghtmare
04-15-2014, 11:04 PM
It does scale your damage up as well. You'll still be seriously OD'd by the players with the higher EGO ratings with updated weapons though.

actually it doesnt scale up damage did a incursion tonight and my typhoon does 1243 damage when i was scaled to 4750 i was still only doing 1200 damage not even that most of the time i was hitting mobs for 500-600 a shot

Henyachingywhy
04-15-2014, 11:08 PM
This update disappoints me. The enemies don't even scale up to my EGO sometimes. I decided to do a raider arkfall over by Marin and we beat it really fast. I killed most of the enemies with 2 shots on my SAW. Then, I inspected some of the players nearby and found out that they were all under EGO 500.

drackiller
04-16-2014, 01:11 AM

Damit Bone, you always hit the nail.

drackiller
04-16-2014, 01:13 AM
I drive around alot

Can you at least stop and help !?

Please? ;)

Atticus Batman
04-16-2014, 01:39 AM
This update disappoints me. The enemies don't even scale up to my EGO sometimes. I decided to do a raider arkfall over by Marin and we beat it really fast. I killed most of the enemies with 2 shots on my SAW. Then, I inspected some of the players nearby and found out that they were all under EGO 500.

The enemies scale to the average of all the egos that drove through or are at that event. So if they are nowhere near your scale, then obviously you are the highest level there and are therefor causing the lil ones to be overpowered. So quit being cranky and help out the lil ones since you are the reason they don't stand a chance.

ezekieo
04-16-2014, 01:30 PM
The enemies scale to the average of all the egos that drove through or are at that event. So if they are nowhere near your scale, then obviously you are the highest level there and are therefor causing the lil ones to be overpowered. So quit being cranky and help out the lil ones since you are the reason they don't stand a chance.

That doesn't help....

I have a bigger issue with not receiving any buffs, while others in my group who are higher Eco-rating than me will get the scale up and I'm left unloading all my ammo on my auto-sniper to do 1/10 of the damage on a simple minion health.

The game is broken bro. The devs just need to fix this problem. :(

Eroticon4
04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
My EGO is about 285. Major Miner Rescue with no other players in sight had about 50% veteran raiders. Took 25 head shots with my 260 sniper rifle to down one veteran rocket raider. Same place, full shields, health, and 1x armor and a veteran blaster one shotted me with a frikin ' pistol. What was that scaled to? Definitely not me.

TTOWNZ DIRTIEST
04-16-2014, 04:05 PM
I have met like 10 people that either just came bck this week or just started and they are pissed at how crazy hard all this is... hoping this patch helps them out!! AND HOPEFULLY WARMASTER CAN ACTUALLY BE DEFEATED??? AND A CO-OP CAN BE DONE IN LESS THAN AN HOUR AND HALF!!!

Iceberg
04-16-2014, 04:09 PM

I don't think this is what happens, but a hot fix today might fix that up a bit.

Teddymouse
04-16-2014, 04:21 PM
This hotfix is not going to fix anyhing that needs fixed. Read the notes...all garbage.

Iceberg
04-16-2014, 04:24 PM
This hotfix is not going to fix anyhing that needs fixed. Read the notes...all garbage.

So fixing emergencies from staying at threat level 10 when players have left the area is garbage? I also heard they are fixing the WM fight too. Was there something you wanted fix that wasn't listed in the patch notes?

Deunan
04-16-2014, 04:35 PM
My EGO is about 285. Major Miner Rescue with no other players in sight had about 50% veteran raiders. Took 25 head shots with my 260 sniper rifle to down one veteran rocket raider. Same place, full shields, health, and 1x armor and a veteran blaster one shotted me with a frikin ' pistol. What was that scaled to? Definitely not me.It's the unintended result of the mechanics of dynamic scaling that we warned them about during play sessions on the test server. Another player leveled the content up in that area without actually doing or finishing the area before you got there. Against your EGO rating, at most they would have scaled up to Experienced Raiders (for Raiders it goes normal, Experienced, Veteran, Hardened and Formidable). My EGO rating ~480 on the test server scaled them up to Experienced. Being the only player there I have doubts you would have scaled them up at all.

Deunan
04-16-2014, 04:45 PM
So fixing emergencies from staying at threat level 10 when players have left the area is garbage?That's not what the patch notes say. There is a holdover bug from the test server where your threat level indicator sometimes would stay with you until you logged out of the game.

The third bullet point is the fix for the Warmaster.

The bullet point regarding nano weapons now having their DOT damage scale makes me wonder if they actually have a grasp of what the issue was. DOT was already scaling for most weapons except for a select few such as the Bonfire mentioned in another bullet point.

Spaz187
04-16-2014, 05:04 PM
This is exactly why other mmo's make new area's for the higher level players, and keep the beginner area's the way they were.. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not here to complain and say this whole patch is horrible.. I do love 90% of what the patch has done to the game.. There were some much needed changes made.. Being an Ego of 2,648 i can hold my own for the most part in this new patch. My low lvl friends however, are not enjoying much of this patch at all at the moment.. We are almost always being bumped up to a ego of 4,750 in the quest areas/arkfalls due to 5000+ ego lvls in all area's of the map.. I understand making the game more challenging so the higher lvls don't die of boredom, but the average low lvl players have really gotten the shaft on this one..

And I'm not even going to get started on the Major Arkfalls that players can call in with the arkbreaker dlc.. that is a topic for a differnt thread. -_-

Still love Defiance, and I will not be giving up on it.. But I hope they can atleast give us a happy medium somewhere in between where it was and where it currently is..

Voices
04-16-2014, 05:35 PM
For me, being 5xx EGO this patch made the game almost unplayable. No way I can do the things I liked before..

Titanic style, and i bought Season Pass 1 week ago because it's a fun game. :(