PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to level. At all. Give me the option to turn leveling completely off.

Lillith Valerian
04-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Yes, I'm serious. No, I'm not being facetious. And it's no more absurd than changes to the game so far.

The enjoyment I get out of this game has nothing to do with leveling my character, which in fact is something I've deliberately avoided doing for the majority of the time I've been playing (10 months).

Let me trap my weapons & character in amber, and opt out of this nonsense that's about to take place.

Overwatch
04-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Amber can only be found in St. Louis at the mod vendor for 10k script...finding the DLC to get to St. Louis ....priceless.

Tsort
04-13-2014, 10:56 AM
I don't want to level either. This is why I was playing Defiance and not some other MMO.

dramaQkarri
04-13-2014, 11:49 AM
I can understand I think, one big part of my enjoyment is the social part, running with my friends just having fun, etc. I also enjoy levelling up...but what is the "bad" part of levelling - or is it just getting sucked into the whole trap of being forced to continue (and blow money on bits) instead of feeling free to go do other things/games? Is that it? Just curious is all.

N3gativeCr33p
04-13-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't want to level either... so I deleted everything Defiance related from my 360 yesterday. Not like anyone at the company will give a damn, they're too busy having fun at PAX East to care about a small fish like me.

dramaQkarri
04-13-2014, 11:52 AM
But but...why? I guess I'm just slow...

Bonehead
04-13-2014, 12:04 PM
But but...why? I guess I'm just slow...

Or like many of us, you just don't "get" the creative lead's decision making process.

dramaQkarri
04-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Or like many of us, you just don't "get" the creative lead's decision making process.

Well that's for sure. Is there anyone who does?

I guess I still like to level...and can keep my OCD in check enough to not go off the deep end and invest my real money to get there fast! I'll keep levelling until all my friends go play something else. It's a GAME after all...

Lillith Valerian
04-13-2014, 12:19 PM
I can understand I think, one big part of my enjoyment is the social part, running with my friends just having fun, etc. I also enjoy levelling up...but what is the "bad" part of levelling - or is it just getting sucked into the whole trap of being forced to continue (and blow money on bits) instead of feeling free to go do other things/games? Is that it? Just curious is all.

'Just' getting sucked into the whole trap? That's absolutely no problem for you? That's fine if so, but don't be disingenuous and state one of the reasons, while pretending you don't know at the same time.

Effectively having a coin slot installed on every weapon you want to keep, and then having Trion drip pennies out to you to maintain a variety of those weapons, unless you relentlessly grind like a no-lifer or spend a lot of real money like a whale? No thanks.

Socially, difficulty levels are dramatically increased, with 'boosts' failing to fill the gap for lower-level players. Which may result in higher and lower Ego players avoiding each other. Which means having the social aspect take a hit. Which means one more reason to walk away.

There's all sorts of other technical aspects as well. Lower-level characters may constantly run out of ammo with weapons, due to being ineffective against the new bullet-sponge enemies which they do very little damage to.

From my perspective, it looks like a money-grab mess of a grind I won't want any part of.

dramaQkarri
04-13-2014, 12:32 PM
'Just' getting sucked into the whole trap? That's absolutely no problem for you? That's fine if so, but don't be disingenuous and state one of the reasons, while pretending you don't know at the same time.

Effectively having a coin slot installed on every weapon you want to keep, and then having Trion drip pennies out to you to maintain a variety of those weapons, unless you relentlessly grind like a no-lifer or spend a lot of real money like a whale? No thanks.

Socially, difficulty levels are dramatically increased, with 'boosts' failing to fill the gap for lower-level players. Which may result in higher and lower Ego players avoiding each other. Which means having the social aspect take a hit. Which means one more reason to walk away.

There's all sorts of other technical aspects as well. Lower-level characters may constantly run out of ammo with weapons, due to being ineffective against the new bullet-sponge enemies which they do very little damage to.

From my perspective, it looks like a money-grab mess of a grind I won't want any part of.

Wasn't being disengenuous or pretending, just wanted to understand your thoughts exactly so thanks for clarification. I may quit Defiance, or may stay if it doesn't turn into that major grind we're all annoyed by. I get it. I also for SURE can't be spending money on it! Even if I could I really don't want to give it to pirates.

I have 4 toons, one is 5K and if it sux for that one then I'm sure me and my friends will all go find something else to do. I'm just going to see how it goes before I get fed up ahead of time.

Skeptically yours ~

dramaQkarri
04-13-2014, 12:32 PM
snark snark snark

Holy Bahamut3
04-13-2014, 12:36 PM
I don't want to level either... so I deleted everything Defiance related from my 360 yesterday. Not like anyone at the company will give a damn, they're too busy having fun at PAX East to care about a small fish like me.

Damn dude, but I can't say I blame you. Do we still get the benefit of your commentary here on the forums? I noticed you and arsenic haven't been posting that much lately.

Holy Bahamut3
04-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Wasn't being disengenuous or pretending, just wanted to understand your thoughts exactly so thanks for clarification. I may quit Defiance, or may stay if it doesn't turn into that major grind we're all annoyed by. I get it. I also for SURE can't be spending money on it! Even if I could I really don't want to give it to pirates.

I have 4 toons, one is 5K and if it sux for that one then I'm sure me and my friends will all go find something else to do. I'm just going to see how it goes before I get fed up ahead of time.

Skeptically yours ~

Oh look that's the next "DLC" theme coming out in August.

N3gativeCr33p
04-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Do we still get the benefit of your commentary here on the forums? I noticed you and arsenic haven't been posting that much lately.

Doubtful, after what was handed to me on Friday. Guess some people just can't tolerate an otherwise honest comparison that I made in regards to the upcoming DLP.

Beam me up, Scotty!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlH8lOPIYAIXPLK.jpg

Lillith Valerian
04-13-2014, 12:47 PM

No worries, same here, and my bad. But where else to go? That's the question.

Damn dude, but I can't say I blame you. Do we still get the benefit of your commentary here on the forums? I noticed you and arsenic haven't been posting that much lately.

I've started to spend more time on my PS4, which I'm pretty sure Creep is also. I'm guessing any PC players like Arsenic who have disappeared in the last couple of weeks have started playing ESO.

Defiance was a good pick-up game, but the amount of time it's attempting to demand now means I may not last until July 1 (ESO for console). DLP 5 has bummed me out so bad that I started looking around for something else to fill the next few months, and found this...

http://boundbyflame.com/

It looks pretty neat, and female characters are possible and not completely offensive (my perpetual struggle to find). With the good/evil evolution, it looks like sort of a more serious version of Fable, and comes out May 9th. I haven't been able to find another shooter yet.

Holy Bahamut3
04-13-2014, 12:50 PM
No worries, same here, and my bad. But where else to go? That's the question.

I've started to spend more time on my PS4, which I'm pretty sure Creep is also. I'm guessing any PC players like Arsenic who have disappeared in the last couple of weeks have started playing ESO.

Defiance was a good pick-up game, but the amount of time it's attempting to demand now means I may not last until July 1 (ESO for console). DLP 5 has bummed me out so bad that I started looking around for something else to fill the next few months, and found this...

http://boundbyflame.com/

It looks pretty neat, female characters are possible and not completely offensive. With the good/evil evolution, it looks like sort of a more serious version of Fable, and comes out May 9th. I haven't been able to find another shooter yet.

Hmm I may have to check that out.

Bonehead
04-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Borderlands the pre sequel is coming out in the fall.
Can't wait.

Odessa
04-13-2014, 08:19 PM
I love to run around with people and do emergencies, arkfalls and incursions. I'm a level 5000 with all weapons maxed, so it's been a joy to not worry about anything but finding better weapons. I have been spending more time on the EU server simply because it has less population my time and less critical errors. Its been more of a challenge with less people and a lower character. I agree that this next DLC will be one to scare away those who like the hunt, not the respawning. I honestly don't get the reasoning behind making the game so difficult that it separates the players and isolates them. When the Volge first hit you couldn't get help on an Emergency. People drove past as fast as possible if they were somewhere they couldn't fast travel to. If their car blew up, they ran. It wasn't fun, my friends stopped playing, and I literally hopped from fast travel to fast travel to get somewhere. I don't want to test my skills against annoying enemies that cause nothing but grief and frustration. Same reason I never played Dark Souls. Never saw the fun in dying over and over...

If what I have read turns out to be the norm, my guess is Defiance will change from my daily obsession to getting through the achievements and calling it a day. Thank goodness for Borderlands Prequel.

Tsort
04-14-2014, 03:56 AM
I also enjoy levelling up...but what is the "bad" part of levelling - or is it just getting sucked into the whole trap of being forced to continue (and blow money on bits) instead of feeling free to go do other things/games? Is that it? Just curious is all.
To me, the bad part of levelling is this:
1. not being able to go everywhere I want, shoot the weapon I want, with any friend I want and try and kill / accomplish anything I want. I loved freedom in Defiance. Now I will have to go from lvl1 area & missions & players there to lvl2 area & missions & players there etc. while grinding & scrapping gear along the way, for whatever reason Trion deemed useful.
2. A gun was a gun. A skitterling was a skitterling. Grenades were grenades. Now we will get "the gun that looks the same but is useless (low EGO)", "the skitterling that has 10 times more hp and somehow doesn't die when I just step on it (high-tier)", "the grenade that doesn't seem to do any damage anymore while it did two weeks ago (leveling EGO)" etc. All of this is really "unrealistic" to me (in a very special sense of the word). I got tired of all the maths and grinding from "classical" MMOs. I'd rather play a MMO where there is a feeling of immersion, verisimilitude. Defiance was perfect for that. It won't be anymore.

I also understand how leveling can be appealing to some. Hell, I've played pen & paper RPGs and video games for years, I love it too. I've played WoW for years, I play LOL, I play Marvel Heroes. But Defiance was special, it wasn't that kind of game. They're taking away from this game what was interesting to me in the first place.

That's how some of us see it, anyway.

Bonehead
04-14-2014, 04:00 AM
1. not being able to go everywhere I want, shoot the weapon I want, with any friend I want and try and kill / accomplish anything I want. I loved freedom in Defiance. Now I will have to go from lvl1 area & missions & players there to lvl2 area & missions & players there etc. while grinding & scrapping gear along the way, for whatever reason Trion deemed useful.
2. A gun was a gun. A skitterling was a skitterling. Grenades were grenades. Now we will get "the gun that looks the same but is useless (low EGO)", "the skitterling that has 10 times more hp and somehow doesn't die when I just step on it (high-tier)", "the grenade that doesn't seem to do any damage anymore while it did two weeks ago (leveling EGO)" etc. All of this is really "unrealistic" to me (in a very special sense of the word). I got tired of all the maths and grinding from "classical" MMOs. I'd rather play a MMO where there is a feeling of immersion, verisimilitude. Defiance was perfect for that. It won't be anymore.

I also understand how leveling can be appealing to some. Hell, I've played pen & paper RPGs and video games for years, I love it too. I've played WoW for years, I play LOL, I play Marvel Heroes. But Defiance was special, it wasn't that kind of game. They're taking away from this game what was interesting to me in the first place.

Very well said T.

alienoid
04-14-2014, 05:31 AM

My thoughts, exactly.

N3gativeCr33p
04-14-2014, 05:33 AM

Indeed... that's the way I see it, too.

(It's also nice to see there's another old school "pen and paper" RPG'er among us.) LOL

SxB_xPUDDYTATx
04-14-2014, 05:41 AM

i agree with this 100%. there are so many good ideas posted by the community that get ignored, and so many things the community asks trion not to do that get done anyways. its really to bad they wont make the game WE want to play

BJWyler
04-14-2014, 06:43 AM

As many others have stated, this is so true. I think this sums up why so many of us have been here for the long haul, and are trying to find a reason to stay.

I have been an RPGer for a long time (yup - pencil and paper vet here, too). I still play my old Wizardry and Eye of the Beholder games because I still get a kick out of the old school feeling. The only real shooter I played was Doom. It was interesting for a bit, but unless I was using the God mode cheat, couldn't really find my way to really "playing" it. I am just not a shooter type of gamer. Defiance changed that. I was interested in the cross-media concept, but until I saw the pilot episode air, was not planning on playing the game. I was sufficiently intrigued enough to give it a shot (no pun intended). I am glad I did.

Naturally, not being a twitch based gamer, I struggled a bit at the early going, but the overall game design helped me become a bit better and certainly gave me a lot to enjoy. I appreciated that and still enjoy the game to this day. I am glad for the fact I don't have to worry about what my character is wearing outside of the fact that I like the look of it. I like the fact I can pick and choose whatever weapons I want to use, either (again) because of the look, the name, or just how it shoots, and still be successful in every part of the game I participate in (relatively speaking). I even enjoyed the PvP matches I participated in when grinding out pursuits. All in all, the game was/is great for me because I don't have to worry about anything except what I feel like doing at the particular moment I log in, and certainly never had to worry about whether I was using the "right" gun or not (I still love my Firestorm AR from the Ark codes, and the Survivalist Sniper Rifle and EMC XAR-22 from mission rewards). All I had to do was add the mod slots and buy the T3 mods I wanted when they went on special at the vendors.

When I logged in, I could just play whatever I felt like playing. Knock off some of the daily/weekly contracts? Sure, let's get 'er done. Oh wait! someone's calling down a major Arkbreak - all right, let's take the blue monkey down! You know what, I kinda want to take out some scrappers at the Bathouse ... ooooh Sieges are up, which one do I feel like hitting up today? You know what, let me take out some Emergencies on the way just for kicks.

Come tomorrow all that is going to change. The game will no longer be about doing what I feel like doing from moment to moment, but be about what I "have" to do, or worry about how many times I am going to have to extract fighting those buffed up scrappers (and worrying about any other lower EGO people I may encounter and buff up stuff for them too). I will have to worry about whether my Firestorm and XAR are now up to par for any arena I want to play. The reason I play games is to escape from all the things I need to worry about in the real world. I just can't imagine it being any fun playing a game where I need to worry about if I am good enough or my builds are powerful enough to actually play.

Eltruism
04-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Person buys MMORPG; complains he doesn't want to level.

Person buys rights to a bunch of binaries; expects reality and reason from them.

"How we see it, anyway." Showing a sense of care and carelessness in the same phrase. Do you even know what you want?

You expect a giant to change his ways so easily when you won't even consider the fact that you have a perspective that has been made into concrete.

That's just how it is, anyway.

dramaQkarri
04-14-2014, 12:48 PM
In general, people do NOT like change. I don't either.

I hate to see Defiance change from an "open world MMO" into this tightly controlled environment where we're all seemingly forced to do things the way one person -----* -------* would like us to play it. His way. We'll see if I can stand it or not, if my friends can stand it or not, etc.

The one thing I won't be doing, is buying in-game items. There are plenty of other suckers for them to suck.

Lillith Valerian
04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Who are you addressing? Your response appears to be a garbled thread-wide reply. And you've used the pseudo-intellectual hipster phrase 'binaries' in an attempt elevate yourself from others so often, that it's become fremdschamen. Not to mention tiresome.

Person buys MMORPG; complains he doesn't want to level.

Person buys rights to a bunch of binaries; expects reality and reason from them.

"How we see it, anyway." Showing a sense of care and carelessness in the same phrase. Do you even know what you want?

You expect a giant to change his ways so easily when you won't even consider the fact that you have a perspective that has been made into concrete.

That's just how it is, anyway.

Defiance is not an MMORPG. It is an MMOFPS. Entirely different dynamics.

You have no idea what I as a person fully expected with my purchase.

One can have a thought-collective opinion without being insular, and I know exactly what I want.

Despite your projection of motive (and logical fallacy in begging the question), you cannot predict with certainty what someone will or won't do.

That depends on what 'it' is. Articulate yourself more clearly.

Quebra Regra
04-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Yes, I'm serious. No, I'm not being facetious. And it's no more absurd than changes to the game so far.

The enjoyment I get out of this game has nothing to do with leveling my character, which in fact is something I've deliberately avoided doing for the majority of the time I've been playing (10 months).

Let me trap my weapons & character in amber, and opt out of this nonsense that's about to take place.

Interesting concept "LOCK LEVEL".

Hmm, I'd buy the DLC if this feature was available.

Cappie
04-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Who are you addressing? Your response appears to be a garbled thread-wide reply. And you've used the pseudo-intellectual hipster phrase 'binaries' in an attempt elevate yourself from others so often, that it's become fremdschamen. Nobody cares.

Defiance is not an MMORPG. It is an MMOFPS. Entirely different dynamics.

You have no idea what I as a person fully expected with my purchase.

One can have a thought-collective opinion without being insular, and I know exactly what I want.

Despite your projection of motive (and logical fallacy in begging the question), you cannot predict with certainty what someone will or won't do.

That depends on what 'it' is. Articulate yourself more clearly.

First of all, its a Third Person Shooter you only go into first person view when looking through a scope.
Just because this game has TPS Aspects it's still an RPG. It's an MMORPGTPS just like Borderlands is an RPGShooter , Grand Theft Auto is an Action RPG Sandbox. Games can fit into Multiple Genres and this one has the same Dynamics as Two Genres.

If you're going to be embarrassed for someone, you should be embarrassed for your self.

If you want to play a game that you don't have to level up in, I suggest you invest in a PC and go play The Secret World.

Lillith Valerian
04-14-2014, 02:00 PM
If you're going to be embarrassed for someone, you should be embarrassed for your self.

And yet, I'm not. Not even in the slightest. It's almost as if your opinion has no weight whatsoever. Curious.

I spend almost all my time in this game through a sniper scope, so the slip is entirely understandable to me. And the babbling string of lettering you've attempted to use to 'one up' me (MMORPGTPS? And that doesn't seem feeble to you?) is utterly useless in any practical sense.

But...nice try, I guess.

Nefarious
04-14-2014, 02:31 PM
This change is badly needed. As the game is now its not a challenge for a lot of players. At one point and time I started a new character, picked the Machinist and Overcharge. And I beat the whole MQ with the starter LMG all the way through and never picked or ranked up any perks.

Trion in the past has made enemies types bullet sponges or harder hitting universally for everyone, but people would complain. Then they would tone enemies down which would make it to easy and ppl would complain.

This update is the best approach that aims for a middle ground. For sure it will need tweaking after going live but its a whole lot better then the game being to easy or to hard across the board for everyone.

Atticus Batman
04-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Indeed... that's the way I see it, too.

(It's also nice to see there's another old school "pen and paper" RPG'er among us.) LOL

We are around you more than you know, Creepo! I have still my old D&D Character sheet in a drawer, with 2 Besm (Big eyes Small mouth) characters from a few years back.

Atticus Batman
04-14-2014, 03:02 PM
First of all, its a Third Person Shooter you only go into first person view when looking through a scope.
Just because this game has TPS Aspects it's still an RPG. It's an MMORPGTPS just like Borderlands is an RPGShooter , Grand Theft Auto is an Action RPG Sandbox. Games can fit into Multiple Genres and this one has the same Dynamics as Two Genres.

If you want to play a game that you don't have to level up in, I suggest you invest in a PC and go play The Secret World.

The games is an MMOFps. There was NOT supposed to be much Rpg in it. That is why all the weapons/outfits/characters are cookie cutter models and we all have access to the same perks and skills for every loadout. And if it must be considered partially rpg, it would go MMOFPSrpg. the smallest part being listed last like in most other things, as in Asccending order of biggest to smallest.

Dehlert
04-14-2014, 03:54 PM
I know what everyone calls this game, but even doing a quick search through google - this game fills the general description of an MMORPG. I do not see this game lasting without changes being made, which is why I imagine Trion did what they did with this coming update. Most people want progression, they want their effort to mean more than just a higher number on an item without bonuses to make the number mean something. Some games can get away with lack of progression merely by the competitiveness the game offers or its fast paced nature (most war shooter games). This game does not do those things well, yes you can jump in to an arkfall - but how about when you are sitting there for 20 minutes waiting for enough people to show up to fight the warmaster?

I am personally excited for this update. I am not saying it will be perfect, or that most current players will like it - I just hope people understand that Trion need to do something quick to pick up its player base... Many games in recent years that promise more than it could deliver have had to do this.

N3gativeCr33p
04-14-2014, 03:56 PM
I have still my old D&D Character sheet in a drawer, with 2 Besm (Big eyes Small mouth) characters from a few years back.

After seeing that picture of your VCR, I can't say that I'm surprised. ;)

Also... I respectfully disagree... Defiance is a TPS (Third Person Shooter). If it were a FPS (First Person Shooter) you wouldn't be seeing your character on screen, aside from the weapon you're carrying. Like Fallout, Doom, Rage, Halo, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, COD, Battlefield, etc. etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_shooter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_shooter

Now, as far as it being a "true" RPG, that's completely debatable...

Jet1337
04-14-2014, 05:57 PM
And yet, I'm not. Not even in the slightest. It's almost as if your opinion has no weight whatsoever. Curious.

I spend almost all my time in this game through a sniper scope, so the slip is entirely understandable to me. And the babbling string of lettering you've attempted to use to 'one up' me (MMORPGTPS? And that doesn't seem feeble to you?) is utterly useless in any practical sense.

But...nice try, I guess.

I just want to poke my head in here and say that your use of grammar satisfies an obscure part of me. :)

BJWyler
04-14-2014, 06:02 PM
This change is badly needed. As the game is now its not a challenge for a lot of players. At one point and time I started a new character, picked the Machinist and Overcharge. And I beat the whole MQ with the starter LMG all the way through and never picked or ranked up any perks.

Trion in the past has made enemies types bullet sponges or harder hitting universally for everyone, but people would complain. Then they would tone enemies down which would make it to easy and ppl would complain.

This update is the best approach that aims for a middle ground. For sure it will need tweaking after going live but its a whole lot better then the game being to easy or to hard across the board for everyone.

Change is needed - for those public events that ended up as zerg events with tons of people and enemies that go down before they even appear on screen. Problem is, this change screws over everyone who thought the difficulty was just right or too hard in other instances. This change does make it harder across the board for every max level EGO character out there, and every other character who is around a max level character. I didn't ask for more difficulty. I didn't want more difficulty. However, I am getting it handed to me in an enema. Change is needed, but this is the wrong way to do it.

Rokea
04-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Change is needed - for those public events that ended up as zerg events with tons of people and enemies that go down before they even appear on screen. Problem is, this change screws over everyone who thought the difficulty was just right or too hard in other instances. This change does make it harder across the board for every max level EGO character out there, and every other character who is around a max level character. I didn't ask for more difficulty. I didn't want more difficulty. However, I am getting it handed to me in an enema. Change is needed, but this is the wrong way to do it.
Sorry but they aren't handing it to you in an enema... Their *** ****** you with a baseball bat!

Bonehead
04-14-2014, 06:37 PM

But...nice try, I guess.

You have always been one of my faves Pink.

Bonehead
04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/morganfreemanright_zps2c375f3a.jpg

Hopeisdead
04-14-2014, 06:41 PM
I am new around here. I reserve my judgement until i get to try it. What i understand is that this is pretty much change/no-change high EGO players will boost lower EGO players while boosting enemies (the core change). Scale of such will be adjusted so it remain change/no-change.

Carnak
04-14-2014, 07:26 PM
And it's no more absurd than changes to the game so far.

Possibly that's how they should have approached the game from the very beginning. Personally I'm easy either way with levelling or not. It does provide some cheap psychological gratification (which I don't need) and that's why I think most games employ it.

I don't have a problem with shifting to a more traditional level based system but I think it's a shame they're changing it. Defiance has more than a few problems but this isn't one of them.

And apparently these days no levels doesn't equal absurd. Look at h1z1.

Tsort
04-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Please make sure you try a new character again after DLC5, if you've not tested it already. Don't forget to take into consideration how you would have fared if that new run had been your first. There's a fine line between fulfilling/frustrating. A game needs players more than it needs anything else.

drackiller
04-15-2014, 02:18 AM
I`ve been restraining my self from commenting this last "dlc" but i have to say and ask this:
Why not change the difficulty of the game only in the Co-Op instances and leave the world alone!?
They could make 3 different levels of difficulty in those co-ops, one that would be for begginers, another that would be for the rest of the people that just want to enjoy the game and uber hard level for all those try hard players !?

Not even gona talk about the weapons (just did) because i`m not going to spend money on them, today afternoon after i eat and drink, i`ll be selling my orange stuff very cheap and i`ll even consider giving some away to people who needs weapons for completing the challenge.
But i pity those who will hang on to an OJ at level 700/800 and keep it all along, oh the arkforge that some one will need to keep those weapons at EGO lvl constantly.
Or i`ll just claim them, but because i`m EGO 4100 they will not be very appetizing for many.
Maybe i`ll just salvage all of them or just sell them in the vendor and i mean all my stuff because i will not spend real money in this ...what ever.
I have mixed feelings about all this situation...

Clarity Page
04-15-2014, 10:12 AM

So you have finally quit, I'm surprised you held on this long.
Me personally as long as the game is fun i will keep playing but depending on how the update affects the gameplay, it could be good but it might also suck the fun out of it particularly with having to grind just to keep your gear competitive with the mobs

Deunan
04-15-2014, 10:30 AM
I`ve been restraining my self from commenting this last "dlc" but i have to say and ask this:
Why not change the difficulty of the game only in the Co-Op instances and leave the world alone!?
They could make 3 different levels of difficulty in those co-ops, one that would be for begginers, another that would be for the rest of the people that just want to enjoy the game and uber hard level for all those try hard players !?...Because everything but co-op maps would be like the way Conflict Sites are going to be now (if they work as they did on the test server). All other content would become worthless for players with high EGO rating as they would OHK everything and nothing could do any significant damage to them. If they could bifurcate player's health, damage and shields from scaling from EGO rating so it only works in co-op maps it might work but I suspect that's beyond their progamming capabilities.

Then there is the economic factor. By making scaling world wide every player is forced into a real leveling system where maintaining a viable equipment loadout requires either discarding old but rare and prized gear, or constantly grinding for Arkforge to upgrade it. Doing this provides the incentive to all of the players that are willing to spend money to forgoe or minimize the tedium grinding for Arkforge to do so. This is the only way a revenue stream built around those kind of players can work, i.e. by game development that inhibits progression.

Clarity Page
04-15-2014, 10:40 AM
This is the only way a revenue stream built around those kind of players can work, i.e. by game development that inhibits progression.

Sad but true, but i think Trion underestimated Console gamers hate of micro transactions particularly when they are so over priced (cough) $40 for 1000 arkforge (cough), im not sure about PC gamers i believe that they are a little more accustomed to micro transactions.

I personally don't mind micro transactions when they (A)add value to the gameplay or experience and (B)are cheaply priced

Deunan
04-15-2014, 11:01 AM
I personally don't mind micro transactions when they (A)add value to the gameplay or experience and (B)are cheaply pricedThe Arkforge bundles do add add value to gameplay. They should be more abundant within the game itself though. In terms of pricing it's probably based on the number of lockboxes you would have to purchase to get that amount of Arkforge weighted against the additional value of getting gear of which most would be converted by salvage to the player. Arkforge shares the same loot slot as spikes, stims and grenades. There are now 4 different kinds of spikes, 5 different kinds of stims, and 6 different kinds of grenades. Add Arkforge drops of 20 and 50 and, assuming drop rates are weighted evenly, you have 5.88% chance of getting 20 Arkforge and a 5.88% chance of getting 50 Arkforge. Even by a crude extrapolation, you would probably have to purchase well over 100 Tier 2 lock boxes to get 500 Arkforge.

drackiller
04-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Because everything but co-op maps would be like the way Conflict Sites are going to be now (if they work as they did on the test server). All other content would become worthless for players with high EGO rating as they would OHK everything and nothing could do any significant damage to them. If they could bifurcate player's health, damage and shields from scaling from EGO rating so it only works in co-op maps it might work but I suspect that's beyond their progamming capabilities.

Then there is the economic factor. By making scaling world wide every player is forced into a real leveling system where maintaining a viable equipment loadout requires either discarding old but rare and prized gear, or constantly grinding for Arkforge to upgrade it. Doing this provides the incentive to all of the players that are willing to spend money to forgoe or minimize the tedium grinding for Arkforge to do so. This is the only way a revenue stream built around those kind of players can work, i.e. by game development that inhibits progression.
Yes i know, you make sense as usual. I was ranting.

N3gativeCr33p
04-15-2014, 01:02 PM
So you have finally quit, I'm surprised you held on this long.

Two words...

Dawn Patrol

Atticus Batman
04-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Two words...

Dawn Patrol

Will miss you, if you actually go this time!

Deunan
04-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes i know, you make sense as usual. I was ranting.You should rant. We all should. This kind of marketing focus and business model is really disgusting and dehumanizing. You might be shocked at how much these players spend at the bit store. If it's consistent with other games that use this kind of model, some of them have probably paid thousands of dollars for bit items and some may have even spent over 10,000. It gets that bad and what makes matters worse is many of them are actually not in a financial position to be doing this. It is obsessive compulsive behavior for many which makes the practice predatory in nature.

Atticus Batman
04-17-2014, 06:03 PM
After seeing that picture of your VCR, I can't say that I'm surprised. ;)

Also... I respectfully disagree... Defiance is a TPS (Third Person Shooter). If it were a FPS (First Person Shooter) you wouldn't be seeing your character on screen, aside from the weapon you're carrying. Like Fallout, Doom, Rage, Halo, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, COD, Battlefield, etc. etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_shooter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_shooter

Now, as far as it being a "true" RPG, that's completely debatable...

You are right it is Tps. Sorry my finger slipped down a row on the keyboard and I didn't notice. :p