PDA

View Full Version : So How Is the New Dlc

oasis387
04-15-2014, 04:15 PM
As I stated prevously Im gone for a week and will have no access to video games, so rely on you guys to help me make a decision on what to buy and not... I already know for certain Im getting son of crawmerax dlc for BL2, and am contemplating this one as well... So whats the status so far? From looks of most discussions it is what we thought it would be. But lets give it a go and see what everyone thinks. Thanks.

QipQip
04-15-2014, 04:19 PM
The design team needs to be replaced.

N3gativeCr33p
04-15-2014, 04:24 PM
As I stated in a different thread... seems pretty "meh" to me thus far.

Deunan
04-15-2014, 04:28 PM
The design team needs to be replaced.It wouldn't change a thing. All orders ultimately come from executive management that have clearly given the entire Defiance team an edict that everything must revolve around coercing revenue from a minority of players who spend a lot of money for microtransactions. I guarantee you that when you build your game around that business model you will intentionally **** up the game mechanics and intentionally **** up progression because that is the only way that that business model can work. There is a fine line in doing so before you eventually cause enough player attrition so that the game also loses it's appeal to that minority of players, at which point the game implodes. Some game developers change direction in time before that happens but others don't. Only time will tell whether management of this company does so.

oasis387
04-15-2014, 04:30 PM
are there any good additions? or just an endless ammo waster

N3gativeCr33p
04-15-2014, 04:33 PM
are there any good additions? or just an endless ammo waster

I have those nifty little shield icons under my Irath's name now... I guess that's a positive? ;)

Deunan
04-15-2014, 04:38 PM
are there any good additions? or just an endless ammo wasterIf you want more than a shallow answer I suggest you read the threads on the Alpha Test Server forum. Other than some bug fixing, very little was changed from the version that we played on the test server.

Tsort
04-15-2014, 04:38 PM
There is no rhyme or reason to your character dmg output. Sometimes you see huge numbers from a boosted EGO, yet you can't kill anything in sight. Sometimes the numbers are lower and enemies are squishy. Sometimes an archer explodes after a couple of shots. Sometimes the archer is apparently another color, so your bullets now hit him with the strength of rolled socks tossed on a brick wall.

There is no rhyme or reason to rewards either.

oasis387
04-15-2014, 04:44 PM
, so your bullets now hit him with the strength of rolled socks tossed on a brick wall.

wet or dry socks?

Raiithe
04-15-2014, 04:45 PM
I honestly don't understand the changes they have made. Some of these changes should've been around from the beginning, i like the idea of progression and that items 'improve' as you gain levels/EGO, But it doesn't seem to be happening.

I just attempted a 'emergency', help the EMC destroy some eggs near the trucks and the hellbugs that try to stop you. I died. My AR appears to be useless, offloading multiple clips while dodging surprisingly deadly skitterlings, i then switched to my BMG and it was more effective!! Think i killed 5 or so skitterlings but then i died when a hellbug burrowed up from under me when they first show up and killed me. Now admittedly it seems i could've been using a better shield, even though i'd been using that shield for a long time, so recommend when you get in to check/double check all your equipment before trying anything.

The idea behind the changes are good, mostly, but they are poorly implemented. Enemies have been given substantial buffs in order to increase difficulty but ultimately have made the game more tedious. A skitterling should not require multiple clips to kill.

oasis387
04-15-2014, 04:50 PM
all kidding aside this is sad to me, this was one of my more favorite games of the past year and I hat to see it being treated in such a way. Hopefully they will see this is unsuccessful and try to fix it back to its former version. Doubt it, but hopefully theyll take this week to fix the pain in the arse it seems

Hawk2010
04-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Yeah bad..so guess will do something else....

Bonehead
04-15-2014, 05:39 PM
wet or dry socks?

Dry, very dry.

oasis387
04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Dry, very dry.

damn... well hopefully they're wool socks... at least it'll scuff em up a lil bit more than cotton...

Tsort
04-16-2014, 01:47 AM
damn... well hopefully they're wool socks... at least it'll scuff em up a lil bit more than cotton...
Bio cotton socks do more damage against armor though.

Bonehead
04-16-2014, 02:11 AM
Bio cotton socks do more damage against armor though.

That's why I like you T.
Always thinkin!

Atticus Batman
04-16-2014, 02:17 AM
As I stated prevously Im gone for a week and will have no access to video games, so rely on you guys to help me make a decision on what to buy and not... I already know for certain Im getting son of crawmerax dlc for BL2, and am contemplating this one as well... So whats the status so far? From looks of most discussions it is what we thought it would be. But lets give it a go and see what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Too bad you are gone. ALL BL2 dlc is half price on Xbox marketplace this week. :p

Bonehead
04-16-2014, 02:21 AM
Too bad you are gone. ALL BL2 dlc is half price on Xbox marketplace this week. :p

And they just dropped the new headhunter pac!
In fact I believe ahmma go play some genuine new content right now.

oasis387
04-16-2014, 02:24 AM

actually my friend told me that BL2 is on sale now for $7 box on xbox live i think.. dunno for how long tho. so if someone never had it and was wondering, now would be a good time to get best bang for your buck. ill be back on in like 5 days which i feel will be plenty of time to read these forums and make a decent decision on whether or not to give trion anymore of my money... right now signs point to no...

Atticus Batman
04-16-2014, 02:30 AM
actually my friend told me that BL2 is on sale now for $7 box on xbox live i think.. dunno for how long tho. so if someone never had it and was wondering, now would be a good time to get best bang for your buck. ill be back on in like 5 days which i feel will be plenty of time to read these forums and make a decent decision on whether or not to give trion anymore of my money... right now signs point to no...

Bl2 and the dlc are all on sale. So is Batman arkham city and it's Dlc. THe sales appear to be this week only. The week sales normally go from Tuesday until early the following Tuesday when the marketplace is updated.

oasis387
04-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Bl2 and the dlc are all on sale. So is Batman arkham city and it's Dlc. THe sales appear to be this week only. The week sales normally go from Tuesday until early the following Tuesday when the marketplace is updated.

dang, oh well. onlt dlcs i need from BL2 are a couple of the head hunter packs anyways which are like 3 bucks a piece (sounds like another company should be taking notes)... and for 3 bucks, gives you your moneys worth

Atticus Batman
04-16-2014, 02:42 AM
dang, oh well. onlt dlcs i need from BL2 are a couple of the head hunter packs anyways which are like 3 bucks a piece (sounds like another company should be taking notes)... and for 3 bucks, gives you your moneys worth

Their paid outfits also give you the head(helmet) and outfit as a bundle for a whole 00.99 cents. I'll admit my broke arse bought a couple of em, since they were only 00.99 cents. this week they are only 00.49 cents! :cool:

oasis387
04-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Their paid outfits also give you the head(helmet) and outfit as a bundle for a whole 00.99 cents. I'll admit my broke arse bought a couple of em, since they were only 00.99 cents. this week they are only 00.49 cents! :cool:

.49 cents? thats a steal, ill take two...

i am hoping that defiance will make the necessary changes to make this game good again... well see

Dehlert
04-16-2014, 02:46 AM
Gosh I love Gearbox! They can not take over other IPs to save them, but their own original work is outstanding!

oasis387
04-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Gosh I love Gearbox! They can not take over other IPs to save them, but their own original work is outstanding!

^ agreed... just wait til the pre sequel comes out... they even made it last gen only (and pc i think).. because they knew their fanbase was still mostly older consoles.

Moscardo
04-16-2014, 04:32 AM
I don't think it's much wise to make too many statements about "why" some changes have been done. A company is about profit, but profit may be done not at the expence of playing.
Any problems are not due to a profit policy "per se".

Basically the new DLC totally revise the calibration of the game.
Game was too easy as mobs didn't have any calibration due to the relative strength and number of players. In sieges, for instance, the point was to "shoot" before the enemy got vaporized.
Also the game gave a limited reward to levelling and improving. Better weapons, better gear, etc... but a low ego player and an high ego player were in the same field. This was (for me at least) a big virtue, as the smaller improvement curve make me able to really enjoy the open world feeling. I could go shoulder to shoulder with big ego guys and still have fun and be effective. And I could go shoulder to shoulder to low ego guys and not spoil their fight, and benefit from their presence.

The DLC made the improvement curve VERY steep, so higher EGO is much more powerful than lower EGO.
There is a mechanism that should help lower ego player fight alongside higher ego players, but it simply doesn't work. (or at least it doesn't work every time I could experience it).
Battles are more challanging and time consuming. They require more coordination (which is good for instance in co-op maps, I guess), but that is horrible in random situation like normal missions or dailies. If the balance of players changes suddenly you can have an hell of a pain. Calibration is also very bad with certain enemies. less bad with others.
Basically all steps of the calibration have been done with higher ego toons in mind. Lower ego toons got all the bads.

My opinion?
Can it work as it is: no. I played yesterday and had so little fun (when I died, when I didn't die, when I succeeded, when I failed) that it was abysmal. :( [Honestly I don't think I will play anymore if not ocasionally, but I am just 1]
With tweaking? Assuming they will recalibrate the worse of the system, maybe. And with the obvious flaws gone, maybe it could be possible to appreciate the good parts of the patch :(

But, to be honest, the bad of the patch reminds me of ME3 ending. So blatantly bad, with an huge vocal minority saying that it was unacceptable, another vocal minority saying it was brilliant, and most people silent in-between.

I think... the Devs will mostly stay silent, or make very official statements.
But what will matter will be statistics.
If by one month their player base dropped by X% and their revenue dropped by Y%... they will change in one direction.
If player base stays stable, or revenue stays stable or even increase... then it's a good patch.

Just, it feels like (really sorry for this opinion that may apepar biased) that the testers on Alpha had been mostly players with high Ego toons and hardcore mentality. On average they will probably enjoy the DLC (and will also enjoy less noobs like me around the place). Still... that mentality, however vocal, well informed and competent, is still the minority.
Same as it's a minority the people complaining (like me) on the forum.

Give it time and see statistics (if ever they will be made available ever) to see how people (the real people, not the one like us with too much time to write on the forum) will take the patch.

Coyote Clive
04-16-2014, 06:58 AM
Moscardo you nailed my experience to a tee.

I came in on DLC-5's first day and dominated almost every event I participated in and had almost no fun doing it.

I almost couldn't explain it to my clan mates. I just had no fun. I am almost 5200 EGO and I did extremely well score wise and loot wise but had no fun doing it. The day before DLC-5 was fun. The day before they added spikes and stims was even more fun. What's going on here?