PDA

View Full Version : Overcomming the Challenge - A DLC5 Survival Story

Market
04-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Okay, we've all read the outcries that the game is now too hard to play. I've even seen the word "impossible" thrown around. I'm not here to argue the points being made about the increased difficulty, simply to give some insight into survival in our new world.

To preface this guide (to use the term loosely), I need to state that this isn't an end-all list of what will work for everyone. These are just observations I've had as well as tactics and loadout suggestions that have worked for me and others I've traveled with. I'm not saying the game is easy, that all you have to do is gain some skill and you'll be fine. Far from it. The game is a challenge now and hopefully the following will help some struggling people mitigate that challenge a bit better. Here goes!

1. Bio is king! - Those armor plates can be a real drag. Each one gives a 10% reduction in damage and these stats stack. A weapon with the Biological nano (aka Poo-Shoes) will shred that armor very quickly. Packing a weapon with this nano is paramount. Once those armor plates are gone, everyone will have an easier time with the target. Having one person in a group rolling with Bio can seriously make an easy fight out of what seems like an impossible situation.

2. Don't stand still! - Many enemies are doing things previously unseen. Volge Troopers now toss out some very nasty grenades. They also punch the ground with an effect similar to the Warmaster and you do not want to be in the way of this when it happens. Watch your enemy carefully, they tend to telegraph their moves. It might take a few attempts to figure out their attacks, but once you do, survivability increases dramatically. Using cover to seclude yourself as a target to only one or two enemies at a time will also prove quite effective. I watched several people yesterday get bowled over as a result of standing in the open.

3. Spikes and Stims! - Before now, these were really only useful (or necessary) while fighting the Warmaster. No longer! If you're having difficulties doing enough damage, pack a Damage Spike. Most people seem to be using these, so keep an eye out for them. Protection Spikes not only add temporary armor plates, but also heal a bit. If you find yourself needing an Ammo Crate more often than you'd like, take an Ammo Spike. If in a group, talk to your fellow Ark Hunters about the Spikes they're carrying and get a good mix going. My son and I were rolling with Ammo and Protection Spikes and had a much easier time of things because of it. Now for Stims! Ablative Armor Stims can give you an extra 30% damage reduction. Every little bit is going to help so don't be afraid to use these! Armor Repair Stims are very useful between battles when you can run back to a repair station. I found myself dropping one in my loadout, using it, then reverting back to the Ablative. Aside from a few bad tactical decisions, I found this to work very well.

4. Know your Perks! - If you're having trouble surviving an assault, work at unlocking some of the damage mitigation Perks such as Thick Skinned or Blast Shield. These will serve you well against some of the harder hitting enemies.

5. They can't hit what they can't track! - Blur. While it seems to be one of the less used EGO powers, this one can keep you from catching a ton of enemy fire. Blur will help you find cover faster and allow you to outrun any enemy in the game. Use Blur as a defensive tactic and you will increase your survivability by a great margin.

6. Kill the weenies! - Most of the larger enemies in the game are slow. Conversely, most of the smaller enemies are fast. Smelters and Skitterlings can really get moving. While a single one of these little guys isn't a serious threat, they tend to roll in packs. The good thing is that most of these smaller enemies also have significantly less damage resistance and health. Taking out large numbers of the small enemies and leaving the heavier ones for last can be a strong tactical decision. It also tends to be easier to avoid the attacks of the big guys rather than trying to outrun a mob of Smelters. Mop up the little guys then move on to the heavy hitters. The one critter with which I will contradict myself here are Bombers. Those guys should be a priority, even if you have all other elements in place. A group of Ark Bombers can seriously mess up your shtako.

7. Set Snares! - Enemies effected by a Bio Grenade still move slowly. This can give you a few advantages. Besides the obvious breathing room, you can use these at choke points to group up enemies for AoE damage. Just remember to take out those armor plates first for maximum effect!

8. Get a tank! - No, I don't mean an Abrams... though that would really help! While running around Bolinas Smeltery last night, I found myself in the company of a higher EGO player who also happened to have 3 armor plates under his/her name. When I found myself under severe ballistic distress, I'd back up and take a position behind my fellow Ark Hunter. This person was able to take on some of the fire that had previously been focused upon me, allowing my shields to recharge and give me a bit of breathing room. Once I'd stabilized, I jumped back up and did the same for him/her. Making your enemy switch targets, drawing fire, and giving yourself some room to Stim/Spike/charge shields can turn the tables in nearly any situation.

9. Don't be reactionary! - What I mean with this is don't wait until you need to do any of the above before you start doing it. Start a fight using these tactics and you will gain a serious advantage. Making your enemy react to you is far better than the other way around.

10. Watch your surroundings! - Some of your objectives will put you dangerously close to wandering mobs or emergency locations. I watched people drag in enemies from other locations (over-aggro) making things much harder on themselves and teammates. Avoid this at all costs!

I hope this helps some of my fellow Ark Hunters handle these new challenges a bit better. While the game just got much harder for most people, it didn't become impossible. My son and I were doing a fair job of things and we're both using 900ish EGO characters with far less than optimal gear.

To close this off, I'm not saying that the above will guarantee success in all things. However, it will certainly increase your lifespan. Patience is key, we're no longer playing Defiance: The Shooting Gallery. Please feel free to chime in and add anything I may not have considered! Let's end the doom and gloom! ;)

EDIT:
I've gathered info from this thread and added the loadout I'm using.
More discussion on tactics and loadouts (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?155850-Overcomming-the-Challenge-A-DLC5-Survival-Story&p=1464587&viewfull=1#post1464587)

Combo Breaker
04-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Stamped.Signed.Approved.

Great advice!

Market
04-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Stamped.Signed.Approved.

Great advice!

I thank you for your support! ;)

thejx4
04-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Too late. Everyone "quit" already. jk jk they're reading this thread now.

Aristokat
04-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Signed. Approved.

Basically my experience last night. The players expecting to brute force zerge things were getting face rolled where every little strategic element you could put into play seemed to provide a noticeable and significant improvement to survival and success.

Shadow Andreas
04-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Well put Market! I agree 10000000%

I think the biggest problem is going to be people adapting to the new (necessary) game play. I'm in no way saying things don't need to be "tweaked".....but gone are the days of running in and standing in one place to mow down weak enemy after weak enemy.

K Ron Spliffs
04-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Great info here man!

Cool to see that you are from NM.

Market
04-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Too late. Everyone "quit" already. jk jk they're reading this thread now.

HAHAHA! Awesome :) I do hope so, it's by no means a hard and fast success to everything kind of list, but it certainly is working for me.

Signed. Approved.

Basically my experience last night. The players expecting to brute force zerge things were getting face rolled where every little strategic element you could put into play seemed to provide a noticeable and significant improvement to survival and success.

Indeed! I haven't had a rush like this since the very first Volge I saw started taking shots at me.

Well put Market! I agree 10000000%

I think the biggest problem is going to be people adapting to the new (necessary) game play. I'm in no way saying things don't need to be "tweaked".....but gone are the days of running in and standing in one place to mow down weak enemy after weak enemy.

Much appreciated! I totally agree with all of that. It used to be far too simple for my tastes. I find this change very refreshing.

EDIT:

Great info here man!

Cool to see that you are from NM.

Glad to hear it!! I'm actually a transplant from Upstate NY, but Northern NM is where I belong... ;)

Shadow Andreas
04-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Indeed! I haven't had a rush like this since the very first Volge I saw started taking shots at me.

I told CRIXDA the same thing yesterday....I patched really quickly after they opened the game back up and played the quarry incursion....talk about intense! I had to climb the tower and actually take cover. It was frustrating going down 4 times....quickly....but then I adapted my play style.

nikra
04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
its good but people are idiots and will never learn. 3 hours full of them at the hulkers and dekuso and i gave the frak up, only one using a bio weapon, infectors and elec nano everywhere -_-.

Odessa
04-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Fantastic thread. I only wish this could be openly shared with the many gamers who do not frequent the forums. I need to sort through my items to find Bio weapons for sure. Thank you for the positive spin with the added understanding that it's been trying for many. It's a refreshing change. :D

Shadow Andreas
04-16-2014, 03:33 PM
its good but people are idiots and will never learn. 3 hours full of them at the hulkers and dekuso and i gave the frak up, only one using a bio weapon, infectors and elec nano everywhere -_-.

I use an infector....depending on the situation. I am trying to lvl them to 20 so I don't have to use them anymore.....but if the "fit hits the shan"......I switch really quick to one of my good load outs. If there are plenty of people around and we are all keeping things under control...I bust it out and try to get some XP for it. I still do damage....I still get kills. There is a time and place for everything.

nikra
04-16-2014, 03:49 PM
I use an infector....depending on the situation. I am trying to lvl them to 20 so I don't have to use them anymore.....but if the "fit hits the shan"......I switch really quick to one of my good load outs. If there are plenty of people around and we are all keeping things under control...I bust it out and try to get some XP for it. I still do damage....I still get kills. There is a time and place for everything.

I get the leveling thing, infector is 1 of 4 left for me to level but these were using it the whole map, tankers, hulkers, dekuso, army of full armour mobs. Were 2 of them with me being the only armour damager, need to add a points thing in for armour breaks i reckon, id feel better a bit then.

Rokea
04-16-2014, 03:52 PM
I like the new challenge, It actually makes the game more fun for me. What I am finding to be difficult and makes me want to ***** slap the **** out of this game is the constant disconnects that seem to be happening more frequently now then about a week ago... and that's saying something.

Shadow Andreas
04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
I get the leveling thing, infector is 1 of 4 left for me to level but these were using it the whole map, tankers, hulkers, dekuso, army of full armour mobs. Were 2 of them with me being the only armour damager, need to add a points thing in for armour breaks i reckon, id feel better a bit then.

I get it......that is the problem with picking up randoms. They will do what they want and you are just along for the ride.

Market
04-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Fantastic thread. I only wish this could be openly shared with the many gamers who do not frequent the forums. I need to sort through my items to find Bio weapons for sure. Thank you for the positive spin with the added understanding that it's been trying for many. It's a refreshing change. :D

I do what I can! lol I may not share the sentiments of some, but I try to see other points of view as much as I can. This was no small change, I can totally understand how some people are freaking out about it.

ironcladtrash
04-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Good suggestions. I'll just add that everywhere else but the War Master Volge weapons are extremely useful now. Since they do a lot of damage per shot you have a high ammo pool vs other AR/SMG/LMGs. I have Bio Volge Recon Assault Rifle that is amazing with this new DLC. (I personally prefer the Typhoons but I don't have a BIO one.) If whatever I am shooting at isn't dead from the Recon AR I switch to my with weapon which I have been using Typhoons. Either a normal Typhoon with no Nano or AR-Xs either Fire or Syphon.

Market
04-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Good suggestions. I'll just add that everywhere else but the War Master Volge weapons are extremely useful now. Since they do a lot of damage per shot you have a high ammo pool vs other AR/SMG/LMGs. I have Bio Volge Recon Assault Rifle that is amazing with this new DLC. (I personally prefer the Typhoons but I don't have a BIO one.) If whatever I am shooting at isn't dead from the Recon AR I switch to my with weapon which I have been using Typhoons. Either a normal Typhoon with no Nano or AR-Xs either Fire or Syphon.

Oh! I hadn't really given thought to the Volge weapons, I think I have one of those you mentioned... I'll have to give it some due! Thanks for adding in, Iron! Much appreciated!

Voices
04-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Aside from the now important bio everything you point out players have been doing earlier anyway. The dynamic EGO system is a dead birth. It's the cause of all the pain. Old and obvious tactics won't change this.

Market
04-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Aside from the now important bio everything you point out players have been doing earlier anyway. The dynamic EGO system is a dead birth. It's the cause of all the pain. Old and obvious tactics won't change this.

I'm sorry you (and others, obviously) feel that way. While the suggestions I gave may be "old and obvious" to you, I've run into quite a few that didn't share that knowledge. I am glad that you've been around people who were already doing this, I haven't had that same experience. Several people are still doing the same things in Warmaster fights regardless of people telling and showing them otherwise, so I thought it would be worth the time to write this stuff down for the ones who don't know how to deal with the recent changes.

I'm not experiencing this pain from the EGO scaling and the tactics in the OP have been the reason for most of that. Since you're already 10 steps ahead of me, I'm sure you gleaned nothing new from what I had to say. However, your opinions of the situation are most certainly welcome. Thanks for taking the time! ;)

Voices
04-16-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm sorry you (and others, obviously) feel that way. While the suggestions I gave may be "old and obvious" to you, I've run into quite a few that didn't share that knowledge. I am glad that you've been around people who were already doing this, I haven't had that same experience. Several people are still doing the same things in Warmaster fights regardless of people telling and showing them otherwise, so I thought it would be worth the time to write this stuff down for the ones who don't know how to deal with the recent changes.

I'm not experiencing this pain from the EGO scaling and the tactics in the OP have been the reason for most of that. Since you're already 10 steps ahead of me, I'm sure you gleaned nothing new from what I had to say. However, your opinions of the situation are most certainly welcome. Thanks for taking the time! ;)

*sigh* A strawman seems to be a great tool for some.

Market
04-17-2014, 08:50 AM
*sigh* A strawman seems to be a great tool for some.

Well, they keep birds out of my garden. I can tear it apart, mix it with mud, and use it to make adobe bricks. I could start a fire with it. Burn it in effigy. Hmmm... oh, that's not what you meant, is it. ;)

Chevota
04-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Theres really only one thing you need to know how to do to play very well.. Kite.

Kiting 101: Shoot enemy until he shoots you. Run around corner. Wait for player B to agro enemy. Re-engage enemy until you Agro it. Repeat corner run.

Kiting has become the strategy now. You can not go toe-to-toe unless you are 5K+, and even then its highly dangerous. its fairly simple.

BTW for Warmaster top-room, dont stand in the Spawn point. RUSH out. Move to the emptier side at all times. Yes you will still die, but maybe, just maybe, you kill 1 on the other side before you get deaded... Its tough, and you will still die quite a bit, but at least you are making a play and not shooting 5 bullets and dieing in the Spawn.

Overtkill21
04-17-2014, 09:10 AM
...BTW for Warmaster top-room, dont stand in the Spawn point. RUSH out. Move to the emptier side at all times. Yes you will still die, but maybe, just maybe, you kill 1 on the other side before you get deaded... Its tough, and you will still die quite a bit, but at least you are making a play and not shooting 5 bullets and dieing in the Spawn.

That sounds like so much fun!

Wait, that's not right...what's the opposite of fun?

Chevota
04-17-2014, 09:18 AM

Its not, its just about the least fun thing in the game atm and def the biggest PITA fight Ive trawled through... but untill we can queue up 25 and enter as 1... Its going to be our bloodbath... And it doesnt appear thatll happen ANY time soon.

But making a run and maybe killing 1 Volge, is more helpful than dying in spawn and letting your timer go fully so you dont 4x stack your deathcount.

Market
04-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Theres really only one thing you need to know how to do to play very well.. Kite.

Definitely sound advice! I do this as a matter of habit most of the time due to my history with Guild Wars and didn't even think to add that to the original writeup. Thanks Chevota! :)

With all due respect, there are literally a few dozen threads you can do this in. Please take it somewhere else and allow those of us trying to help people and see a positive side amongst the drooling negatives alone. I know that's not going to work, but I thought I'd ask politely anyway and see where it gets me...

*dons flamesuit*

Overtkill21
04-17-2014, 09:20 AM
...But making a run and maybe killing 1 Volge, is more helpful than dying in spawn and letting your timer go fully so you dont 4x stack your deathcount.

Oh I agree on this point - just that it still doesn't sound like a worthwhile endeavor. I have chosen to just not do Warmasters any more.

Overtkill21
04-17-2014, 09:22 AM
With all due respect, there are literally a few dozen threads you can do this in. Please take it somewhere else and allow those of us trying to help people and see a positive side amongst the drooling negatives alone. I know that's not going to work, but I thought I'd ask politely anyway and see where it gets me...

Merely pointing out the fact that while that tactic will certainly work...ish. It still doesn't make the Warmaster any fun - like he used to be. And if there's no fun - then what really is the point?

Market
04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Merely pointing out the fact that while that tactic will certainly work...ish. It still doesn't make the Warmaster any fun - like he used to be. And if there's no fun - then what really is the point?

Opening up at least one other spawn point would be worthwhile in there. I agree that everything will eventually mash up in one corner leaving us in a seemingly endless loop of death/extraction. By no means do I mean to say that the game is perfect as it is. I've never said that and hope that I don't appear to be one of those kinds of people. I guess it just irritates me when the only thing some can offer up to a conversation is sarcasm. I'm not at all thrilled that someone of high EGO rolling around near me amps up the difficulty of everything simply by being there, but I chose to offer up suggestions to assist people in this situation rather than joining up in some of the other threads created here in the past couple days.

Trion doesn't have a 100% perfect track record when it comes to listening to their player base, but they are a far cry better than any other game company I've dealt with. I'm certain that there are better out there, but most of them are worse. If we can have meaningful conversations about these kinds of issues, leaving the sarcasm out of it, we just might see them paying more attention. I know it has worked for me around here, and the communication is certainly better now that it's ever been. At least we're not getting the "everything can drop OJ's" kind of comments anymore! lol

It's just my belief (yes, I understand this is opinion, not fact) that if we all were to toss aside the sarcasm and bitterness that we could get much better results to our issues in the long run. I might be tipping my age here, but a Joe Friday outlook just might work better than what we've seen around here in the past. (for the young-ins, Joe Friday was a TV detective known for saying "Just the facts, ma'am.) Again, opinions. They can (and will) do what they want, when they want, and don't even owe us an explanation when it comes down to legal responsibilities.

Bottom line is I didn't mean to offend with that request, and I sincerely apologize if I did. With all the other threads created as a means to vent frustration and anger, I think I may have taken your comment a bit too harshly. Thanks for taking the time to explain your position. For what it's worth, I do agree with it.

Bonehead
04-17-2014, 09:54 AM

Kiting 101: Shoot enemy until he shoots you. Run around corner. Wait for player B to agro enemy. Re-engage enemy until you Agro it. Repeat corner run.

Kiting has become the strategy now. You can not go toe-to-toe unless you are 5K+, and even then its highly dangerous. its fairly simple.

BTW for Warmaster top-room, dont stand in the Spawn point. RUSH out. Move to the emptier side at all times. Yes you will still die, but maybe, just maybe, you kill 1 on the other side before you get deaded... Its tough, and you will still die quite a bit, but at least you are making a play and not shooting 5 bullets and dieing in the Spawn.

That works in many situations. It was the way I got past the new discovery mission at crystal pond. I was a low level toon and the minors were to tough to clear so I ran through to spawn the dark matter, got the raiders involved, hit the minors with rad and let the two groups finish each other off, then just finished off the bullwarks.
It works to kite large groups of mobs around corners so you can quickly hop a fence and get your objective done before they can get back to you.
Used it at seascape, northpoint, and ridgecrest.
Very useful tactic these days.

rebtattoo
04-17-2014, 10:16 AM
An interesting thing happened on the way to the park last night.....

I was invited to share in the joy that is the WM. I asked how many were involved and the reply was 7. I told them they were gonna need a lot more! They informed me of the rendezvous point and I started calling out my friends to join before I committed myself. Several acquiesced. We poured onto the impact sight to watch the spikes be deployed. There had to have been 30+ ppl there. I briefly recollected the good ol' days of the WM when 5 or 6 of us could handle the exterior with relative ease, and silently chuckled at the large turnout.

The first thing I noticed when the last spike was set down was disco! I reboot, jump to friend that I knew was there as was surrounded by red! Not just me! My mini map was red! There was Dark Matter and Bulwarks everywhere you turned! You literally could not turn around without bumping into an enemy. It was so jam packed that I could tell what one had had for supper and another, I swear, was wearing Brut!

All this in the matter of a minute, then.....Disco! Logging out and rebooting, I figured this would give a few moments to deplete the numbers a bit. Jumping back to pal....There were more! Every time 1 red dot disappeared from my map, 2 more appeared!

At this point, I doff my hat, and humbly ask for forgiveness for my earlier statements. I had finally met the bullet sponges! Clip after clip I unloaded, alongside fellow arkhunters. Bullet after bullet from my Bio Thunder bounced off these critters as I watched them laugh at my plight! 30 of us standing alongside one another dodging, jumping and running to and fro, trying to turn the tide! It was working! The red on the screen was diminishing! We were prevailing! Everyone working as a team for that single goal! Then Disco number 3! Arg! The tide had turned! We were winning! I yelled at the lowly PS3 to hurry and reboot! I cursed its slowness! I needed to get back and help my comrades in arms! We could do this!

Porting back, I encountered the new Viscera. Not just 1, mind you. Dozens! I dropped an ammo spike next to a damage spike and let the Thunder roar! Magazine after magazine I unloaded! Along with several others! I lost count how many rounds went into the beast. Looking up to his health bar, I stopped. I stared. I may have whimpered. The thing had hardly moved! I realized that I had truly been talking out of my ***. I had been so very wrong! How? How could this thing still be towering over us, let alone alive, after all that we had pummeled into it? He raised his arm to boomerang and I dove out of the way right into a hard freeze!

For a long moment, I was relieved! I was out of Hell! I knew that when I logged back into game after resetting the system that I would have full health! I would have full ammo! I wouldn't be staring into that Visceras ugly mug, evilly grinning and wanting a piece of my soul! I sat back, as the system restored itself, and pondered different tactics I could employ to be more helpful. Finally, I was back in Paradise.

There was more Viscera! How was this possible? They were everywhere! They were piggy backing one another! It was the outpost scene from Starship Troopers, only with Viscera and Dark Matter! They were crawling over each other trying to get a piece of us! Arkhunters were spraying bullets into the hordes! Occasionally one would fall. With each downed enemy, my heart rose. The team was working against surmounting odds! 1 down, then 2. 3 fought back, and finally succumbed...Several more, then BLAM!

Time! The time ran out! Mini map showed 40+ purple dots. We never reached the interior! It was a helluva battle! Several different tactics tried. All failed.

Again, my most sincere apologies for earlier assertions. it was fun, but.......

drackiller
04-17-2014, 10:19 AM
... ...

Welcome to the new world Reb.

Bonehead
04-17-2014, 10:22 AM
I had finally met the bullet sponges!

Again, my most sincere apologies for earlier assertions. it was fun, but.......

It was only a matter of time.
http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/spongebob_thumb3_zps9283bf2b.jpg

TASHINKA
04-17-2014, 10:27 AM
It was an epic battle! as we were finally defeating the volge my heart sank when I looked at the clock & realized we would not have enough time to finish them off :( - sorry to hear of your hard freezes & disconnects reb - saved you $180 scrip & a viscera b!tch slap to the noggin though! (lemonade) & market - didn't mean to derail your thread - you have some excellent suggestions which I'm trying out :)

rebtattoo
04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
It was an epic battle! as we were finally defeating the volge my heart sank when I looked at the clock & realized we would not have enough time to finish them off :( - sorry to hear of your hard freezes & disconnects reb - saved you $180 scrip & a viscera b!tch slap to the noggin though! (lemonade)Tashinka, my Brother! Thank you. It was epic indeed! I believe I saved you a bit o' scrip also, at one point! Look forward to seeing you in game!

Winterspawn
04-17-2014, 10:47 AM
I'd like to add that the ''one for all'' perk helps a lot when in a group.

Shadow Andreas
04-17-2014, 10:59 AM

Personally, I think this perk should be for all at the instance....not just group.

ironcladtrash
04-17-2014, 11:02 AM
I also think Self Medicated is must have perk now. If you are going to revive people use Combat Medic too or you are cannon fodder.

Winterspawn
04-17-2014, 11:10 AM
I also think Self Medicated is must have perk now. If you are going to revive people use Combat Medic too or you are cannon fodder.

Very true, before the DLC, I hardly equipped those perks.

Chevota
04-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Definitely sound advice! I do this as a matter of habit most of the time due to my history with Guild Wars and didn't even think to add that to the original writeup. Thanks Chevota!

#8 on the list is basically Agro Kiting. Its just more basic to mention Kiting as a whole though.

dramaQkarri
04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Love the creative writing Reb! Your Arkbreak fight description was hilarious!

Just one of the many reasons I'm on a 2-week vacation from Defiance...hoping some of this overpowered madness will get scaled back a bit by then.

Odessa
04-17-2014, 11:40 AM

I cannot thank you enough for this. I managed to get through both outside and topside with a lot less pain using your tactics. I switched to my cloak class and whipped out a Bio Berzerker. Seemed to get the job done taking down the shields extremely quickly. Still died a whole hell of a lot and haven't been able to beat the WM yet but I was almost giving up on even trying.

Dehni
04-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Sound advice. Well done.

I just wanted to add my own kudos on the upgrade. I love the newer harder enemies and the mixed tactics. I only ran into a few snags (still can't punch through the Warmaster's armor, or complete a level 10 emergency solo, and for some reason I can't unlock the new perks), but I am getting much more legendary weapon rewards and that's awesome.

TASHINKA
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I'd like to add that the ''one for all'' perk helps a lot when in a group.I'm going to definitely try this for dekuso fight (on expert co op); and thank you reb, I believe I owe you about $720 scrip - look forward to seeing you as well :) maybe change the name of the game to Deathfiance lol

Chevota
04-17-2014, 12:42 PM
I cannot thank you enough for this. I managed to get through both outside and topside with a lot less pain using your tactics. I switched to my cloak class and whipped out a Bio Berzerker. Seemed to get the job done taking down the shields extremely quickly. Still died a whole hell of a lot and haven't been able to beat the WM yet but I was almost giving up on even trying.

Well if it really helped, YW... Its still not fun, and you still die (think 4 times my last room-clearing attempt)... Dont fret though, the roughly 3-5k points you used to get upstairs doesnt even matter... Just gotta make it downstairs eventually.

Market
04-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Awesome stuff, gang! I've read everything added since the last time I commented and I'm very happy with the direction this is taking. It was meant to assist those who are struggling, but also to get more ideas from others!

A few specifics from the top of my head:

Chevota, I see the point you made about kiting in reference to the original list, I'm going to work on adding/editing that sometime this evening.

Reb, awesome story man! I don't envy your disconnects, but that aside, it sounded like one hell of a fight!

Tashinka, no worries, you're not derailing anything! This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to inspire! ;)

Odessa
04-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Well if it really helped, YW... Its still not fun, and you still die (think 4 times my last room-clearing attempt)... Dont fret though, the roughly 3-5k points you used to get upstairs doesnt even matter... Just gotta make it downstairs eventually.

It really did. It's a new way of thinking through the enemies and for me it's helpful for someone to stand back and point me in the right direction. I've been looking through threads for every bit of help to make me still love the game. I can tell you one thing, though. There's no kiting at Quarry Sieges. I managed to make the top spot only because I finally respawned out of range of the insane bombers and sniped them with my Splitshot. I was at zero for most of it. My score was so small it was sad. Not that the top spot is a big deal... but the fact that I sucked so bad and still managed to be there was sad.

Awesome stuff, gang! I've read everything added since the last time I commented and I'm very happy with the direction this is taking. It was meant to assist those who are struggling, but also to get more ideas from others!

I would LOVE to see some suggestions on load outs. Perks, weapons, and what is best for the general romping about VS WM/Coop. I'm usually fine with the enemy levels in groups, but any daily contracts and sieges are pretty much off limits for me at this point.

Thanks again, Market. :)

Voices
04-17-2014, 04:55 PM
It seems like everyone needs to use Bio weapons now. So much for suggestions. Ofc a single person doing fire helps a lot.

Market
04-17-2014, 07:17 PM
I would LOVE to see some suggestions on load outs. Perks, weapons, and what is best for the general romping about VS WM/Coop. I'm usually fine with the enemy levels in groups, but any daily contracts and sieges are pretty much off limits for me at this point.

Thanks again, Market. :)

Hey, my pleasure! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's got some ideas to throw around! Once I finish making/eating dinner, I'll sit down with this thing and do some edits. Any additional thoughts on this are MORE than welcome! I haven't had a successful WM run since this DLC went down, so I'd like input from people who have. I also haven't done any of the CoOps yet, mostly because I like to feel like I'm lending something to a team and right now I'm a bit too squishy on the PC to have that. lol

Running around at random is my main thing, so I'm sure I can come up with some fair suggestions. Again, anyone else around here please feel free to throw something down! I don't assume to know the best thing for every situation, but I know what's working for me right now...

ACK I'm burning my chicken! lol

Edit: Okay, I wanted to do this now, but my internet connection seems to have other plans... Once I can get this straightened out, I'll get to work on this. :p

Market
04-17-2014, 11:09 PM
This has gotten quite a bit more feedback than I expected! Since there are some great suggestions here I thought I'd add them in. Unfortunately, the character limit is a bite in my backside... lol I'm linking this post to the original to keep some semblance of continuity.

I've tested this out with a VBR and a Typhoon and both seem to be pretty brutal. I don't have amazing examples of either, so I'm sure an excellent version of these weapons would really tear it up.

As he pointed out in a subsequent post, this one goes right along with #8 of the original list. This is a very common tactic in many other MMO's and I can't believe I didn't make a point of it. This is certainly a strong strategy that can give any player an advantage.

That works in many situations. It was the way I got past the new discovery mission at crystal pond. I was a low level toon and the minors were to tough to clear so I ran through to spawn the dark matter, got the raiders involved, hit the minors with rad and let the two groups finish each other off, then just finished off the bullwarks.
It works to kite large groups of mobs around corners so you can quickly hop a fence and get your objective done before they can get back to you.
Used it at seascape, northpoint, and ridgecrest.
Very useful tactic these days.

Bait and switch, I love it! ;) A true "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing! lol This could also work well in a situation where one has accidentally over-aggro'd a mob.

First, the same disclaimer about not assuming to know everything about everything and that there's likely more and better info to be had, yadda yadda... lol

That said, here's what I'm currently using on my main as of 4/17.
EGO 1014
Epic Thunder, poo shoes, Cannoneer, green mods with a 3 round burst.
Epic 7th Legion Gashima, no mods.
Epic Rhino Regen III DX (I really need a better shield) 2330 Cap.
Bio or Pyro Grenades, Ammo Spike, Power Stim. (I tend to swap these around a bit)
Overcharge - Quick Charge, Bloodlust, Overload, Nerves of Steel, Detachment, Preparedness, Kill or Be Killed, Pumped up.

Other recommendations:

I'm happy to add in any other suggestions!