PDA

View Full Version : EGO Scaling Was Never Successfully Tested. So Why Did It Go Forward?

InfamousBrad
04-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Here's what I don't get. If you go back through our threads on the Alpha forum, you see that as soon as they put EGO scaling in conflict sites and incursions, it went badly, and people screamed, so they turned it off. And it stayed off the rest of the testing period. They didn't change it and turn it back on and see how the changes went, they went live with the original admittedly-broken version. Why?

Based on what we experienced on Alpha, EGO Scaling should absolutely have stayed on the Advanced and Expert co-ops and arenas only, at least until they came up with better numbers for it.

dramaQkarri
04-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Answer: Because Grenades.

Seriously, this has been the pattern with Trion's DLC updates. Very little testing, feedback not taken into consideration.

Someone somewhere forgot that the player base is part of the process.

Bonehead
04-17-2014, 10:06 AM
I think their definition of "successful test" isn't the same as our's.

BJWyler
04-17-2014, 10:27 AM
This is SOP for Defiance DLC testing (but, Trion is not the lone developer with this kind of issue). However, unlike the previous DLCs, this one pretty much changes the format of the game. There is no way in heck a patch of this significance should have only been in the player's hands to test for a couple of weeks. Something like this should have gone on the Alpha for at least 6-8 weeks, and a date for the live release held back until the changes could be thoroughly vetted through testing. Now the vetting process will occur for weeks on the live servers. Unfortunately, that is going to be too damaging to the game's PR and general playerbase. Several players are already gone for good because of this. It is something that could have been avoided with a true and proper testing schedule.

Odessa
04-17-2014, 11:01 AM
I did one of the Volge sieges (regular, no incursion) and it was a complete clusterf***. They followed people to the spawn point and it was all over. No one could get out of there with the Bombers and grenaders, You couldn't find any cover anywhere. I want to play ALL the areas again but right now I've been skipping over a third of the game simply because it's absolutely no fun. It's not even about skill or loadouts. There was no kiting, no cover system to regain shield/health, no where that at least three enemies were standing with one shot kills. I don't mind the challenge but FFS the sheer amount of enemies wih a ridiculously high blast radius makes it no fun. I don't mind dying. I do mind if I can't even get a shot off because the game thinks putting a group in a bucket and dropping a nuclear bomb down is fun. It's like when kids were taught to hide under their desks during an air raid. Ironically they had more cover...

GM Domitasia
04-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Hey guys! You should check out this post (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?156063-Defiance-Arktech-Revolution-Difficulty-Balancing&p=1464025&viewfull=1#post1464025), we are currently working on EGO Scaling!

Bonehead
04-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Hey guys! You should check out this post (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?156063-Defiance-Arktech-Revolution-Difficulty-Balancing&p=1464025&viewfull=1#post1464025), we are currently working on EGO Scaling!

Thank you Dom. I kid you not, the communication is greatly appreciated.

Angel Silhouette
04-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Here's what I don't get. If you go back through our threads on the Alpha forum, you see that as soon as they put EGO scaling in conflict sites and incursions, it went badly, and people screamed, so they turned it off. And it stayed off the rest of the testing period. They didn't change it and turn it back on and see how the changes went, they went live with the original admittedly-broken version. Why?

Based on what we experienced on Alpha, EGO Scaling should absolutely have stayed on the Advanced and Expert co-ops and arenas only, at least until they came up with better numbers for it.

Deadlines.

You have 3 types of people in a company:

People who do the work

People who think they do the work, but in actuality simply oversee the work.

People who sit in offices and get paid for all of the work that everyone else does.

#3 tells #2 about a new project and gives them what they consider an easy deadline. #2 says, "Hmm. It sounds like it could be doable, we'll get it done." and takes it to #1. #1 says, "Are you kidding me? There's no way." Some back and forth may occur, but in the end, #2 lays down the law and #1 is stuck doing OT to make it work.

The deadline approaches, #1 tries to tell #2 that it's not going to happen, the tests have all come back with negative results and the test subjects are unhappy. #2 not wanting to look bad to #3 because they hope to be a #3 some day, brings out the iron fist and tells #1 to just get it done by the deadline, no argument.

And that is how babies are made...

Sorry, games, I meant to say games.

(Different formulas for different companies. In telecomms companies, for example, #1 is the final stop instead of the customer when it comes to who comes in with the least respect from #3 and #2)

Jug
04-17-2014, 10:18 PM
I didn't even know trion tested anything they release.

Bonehead
04-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Well like it or not, this appears to be the real test happening now and they seem to be on it in their own way.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?156063-Defiance-Arktech-Revolution-Difficulty-Balancing

I am grateful for that at least.

SxB_xPUDDYTATx
04-17-2014, 10:46 PM
its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission

in trions defense (i cant believe i just said that) its very difficult to test large scale changes with a handful of people on a test server. sometimes you have to throw it out to the public and let them be your testers. the only drawback to this is large amounts of backlash (which we have seen) and you must be ready for an immediate fix (which it seems they are doing).