PDA

View Full Version : A easier way to earn Ark Forge.

Nefarious
04-17-2014, 04:09 PM
The Highest amount Ive ever gotten doing an event/mission was 10. That was from completing Explosions 101 on Expert. Other times from things Ive gotten 2 and 4?

But lock boxes have a chance of giving Ark Forge. Instead of buying a single tier 4 with my 75 keys I did my method of buying two tier 3s and three tier 2s to mix things up. Two out of the three tier 2s gave me 20 and 50 Ark Forge.

I know next time I have 75 keys Im buying nine tier 2 lock boxes to score Ark Forge.

Bonehead
04-17-2014, 04:15 PM
I would like it if you kept us updated on how that works out for you Nef.
It sounds interesting.

CM Kiwibird
04-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Hey. That's intentional, just to confirm.

Deunan
04-17-2014, 04:28 PM
It's only a bit more reliable for getting Arkforge than it is for getting Legendary gear. If all items are weighted evenly there are over 17 different items that can drop from that lock box roll and only two of them are Arkforge bundles which means you have less than a 6% chance to get either. So far I've purchased 10 lock boxes with key codes and gotten zero Ark Forge. It's still worth getting them anyway. The mechanics for getting Arkforge in the game are so stingy that you should try getting them from as many different sources as possible.

ConcreteSnake
04-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Last night I spent over 300k arksalvage and god knows how much scrip to open t2 and t3 lock boxes with the intent of getting some arkforge. 30-40+ boxes later I ended up with a total of 60 arkforge.....got +20 a whopping 3 times. Now there's some defiance RNG for ya. I did however get over 20 grenades which were instantly scrapped from my claims items

Albion
04-17-2014, 04:55 PM
I opened several T2's last night, and got zero arkforge. Of course, I also got mostly green weapons too, so I truly feel like it was a waste. After 6 of them, I figured that was enough.

TriGlav 2000
04-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Faction supply caches can also give arkforge, got 20 from VBI rep cache.

stefb42
04-17-2014, 05:47 PM
16 t2 boxes gave me 240 arkforge buying the boxes 8 at a time

ConcreteSnake
04-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Faction supply caches can also give arkforge, got 20 from VBI rep cache.

I kinda think we should be guaranteed arkforge from rep vendors

DSW
04-17-2014, 05:49 PM
well, now how about caeruleum cores, is there any way to grind them other than paradise/chimera contracts?

Darth_Nikon
04-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Given these rates of drop/acquisition, and the cost to upgrade Oranges being 50AF/100 Ego...

Yeah, no, that's not going to happen. I dropped ME3 multiplayer like a hot rock given their lottery-scratch-off-tickets-level method of getting weapons, I'll do the same here. It's effectively P2W or "never be able to upgrade weapons to your current level without paying money" under this system.

I really want to like this game, but I've got more productive things to do with my time, sorry.

DSW
04-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Given these rates of drop/acquisition, and the cost to upgrade Oranges being 50AF/100 Ego...

Yeah, no, that's not going to happen. I dropped ME3 multiplayer like a hot rock given their lottery-scratch-off-tickets-level method of getting weapons, I'll do the same here. It's effectively P2W or "never be able to upgrade weapons to your current level without paying money" under this system.

I really want to like this game, but I've got more productive things to do with my time, sorry.

do you actually need THAT much weapons to play the game? for me, 1000 af was enough to level up most (ab)used guns in my backpack (it was oranges and purples, btw!), while others remained at 75% bump because of no need/no use.

Nefarious
04-17-2014, 07:54 PM
yeah so far Ive only upgraded a few select weapons. Haven't felt the need to do my shields yet.

I have a lot of weapons but for the most part they are just novelty. Always have been even before Ark Tech Revolution. Just stuff to collect.

What would really be good is if that we could name our weapons. That would be sweet.

murdoc8592
04-17-2014, 07:55 PM
i have to say that i have been hitting only tier 2 lock boxes, and i have probably earned over 500 ark forge thus far, and to be honest i have probably opened 30-40 boxes.. i don't seem to be having any problems.. maybe it's just luck of the draw

Chump Norris
04-17-2014, 08:00 PM
I also switched to only buying T2 boxes and have made around 200 AF and pulled an orange outbreaker.

Tekrunner
04-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Hey. That's intentional, just to confirm.

What's intentional exactly? The fact that lockboxes drop arkforge, or the fact that T2 seem to drop more per key on average, which is somewhat counter-intuitive and is not explained to players in any way, or both?

Irisina
04-17-2014, 11:41 PM
From the point of view of a player below 1k:

Ego goes up, enemy scales up, but not our weapons, so naturally, I constantly have to update my weapons rack.

If I want good guns, naturally one would go for T4 boxes, but I won't have enough Arkforge to upgrade a gun I like every 100 EGO, let alone 2 or more.

If I go for T2 boxes, I MAY have enough Arkforge if the RNG god smiles upon me, but I won't have guns worth using it on.

I can also skip the chances of getting high grade weapons, and using only low grades stuffs until I hit 5k while stacking up Arkforge via buying T2 boxes only.

However, the whole point of this game is to get good guns and shoot stuffs, so why do I have to ignore that goal for 1-2 months straight. Beside, weapon need nano effect to actually matter now, so I need to mod weapons over and over again or find a gun that fit my playstyle over and over while also having nano effect, somehow...

Actually, I can also buy bits constantly and transfer them to Arkforge. Silly me, this game is F2P for a reason.

Oh wait....

Should I laugh or cry here?

Tsort
04-18-2014, 12:46 AM
Irisina, I've read players claiming lower tier lockboxes didn't necessarily meant getting worse weapons, especially considering the number-of-keys-used/RNG-chances ratio. But I'm not an expert on the subject.

Moreover, the 1/2 months EGO5000 goal seems to me I would need a lot of playing time per day, but maybe that's what you intend on doing... I'm just saying.

Other than that I agree the lockbox system is another over-complicated RNG-frustrating thing. I used to buy only T4 because I didn't want to bother fast traveling every 10 or 30 keys. Now that I have to fast travel all the time (armor repairs) and that I'm trying to get ArkForges, it will be T2 only.

drackiller
04-18-2014, 12:48 AM
My advice for new players is to play with what the game gives you untill you find a weapon that you consider good enough to keep and upgrade.

I`ve also been opening lots of T2 lock boxes and i`ve been blessed i guess, i already got more than 200 arkforge.
But i also think that in this cases when shouldn`t say this things to many times...beware.

Irisina
04-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Thank you both for the advices, and that 2 months were just my random estimation. Guess i can't get off the grinding wheels that easily :).

Let see how far I can maintain my load out, but still, I don't think i can keep my usual load out of 4 weapons. That's gonna cost a bit too much and rather risky if I happen to pick the short straw in Boxes lottery.

Atticus Batman
04-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Thank you both for the advices, and that 2 months were just my random estimation. Guess i can't get off the grinding wheels that easily :).

Let see how far I can maintain my load out, but still, I don't think i can keep my usual load out of 4 weapons. That's gonna cost a bit too much and rather risky if I happen to pick the short straw in Boxes lottery.

Don't worry about leveling your current guns. You will see plenty of good blues and purples as you level up. If you join a decent clan or find nice people, some of the members/people may even have a few decent low level guns laying around to give you.

Just rotate through the loot drops as you level up. If you want you can keep buying t2s and hoard that Arkforge, then when you have a favorite gun, you can level it if you really want to. But remember there are plenty of good guns in this game, so you do not need to hold on to and level all of them. It would be more cost effective to just sale off/break down your lower ego ones as you find good higher ego ones.

Btw even whites and greens are useful, so don't be afraid to use those. I may even suggest just using guns you can buy anytime at a regular vendor until you are atleast ego 2500. The vendors always sale the same guns, so as you get too above the ego of your old gun, you can vendor sale it and buy a new one of the same type at the same vendor, though the nanos, synergies, and available modslots may change based on ego.

Clarity Page
04-18-2014, 04:09 AM
They should put in a lock box that just gives forge and cores,
maybe 64keys and 2k scrip for 50 forge and 2 cores.
where do i post suggestions? because i genuinely want this put in

Atticus Batman
04-18-2014, 04:21 AM

Here you go. http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Suggestions!

Clarity Page
04-18-2014, 04:44 AM
Here you go. http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Suggestions!

thanks, what do you think of the cost to gain ratio of my theoretical lock box? it seems well balanced to me but i'd like more opinions before putting it to trion

Clarity Page
04-18-2014, 07:02 AM

I have put my idea on the suggestions board, Thanks to Atticus Batmans Link.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?156186-Arkforge-and-Cores-Lockbox
Please back it if you agree with my idea

Darth_Nikon
04-18-2014, 05:11 PM
do you actually need THAT much weapons to play the game? for me, 1000 af was enough to level up most (ab)used guns in my backpack (it was oranges and purples, btw!), while others remained at 75% bump because of no need/no use.

Why wouldn't I want several nice weapons to play with? I'm here to play and have fun, not grind & save arkforge for months just to keep up one or two weapons that I can eventually use. It's not a question of need, this isn't the real world. It's a game, to have fun with. Having different loadouts for different goals is kind of why we have up to five of them so far. It was also working really well until this patch, which I think is pretty obviously a move to monetize the game further, not a change to benefit players. I wouldn't be surprised if this change was made to facilitate a transition from retail game to free-to-play. Even SWTOR was moved that direction, I doubt Defiance is immune.

I could have played ME3 multiplayer for months grinding away to try and collect the other 9/10ths of each of the fun weapons from the RNG lottery, but ffs why would I want to waste all that time grinding? Or worse, throwing away money for a lottery of pretend guns? I just moved on to more rewarding and non-work-like activities.