PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else frustrated by the use of shotguns?

KeeperOfHope
04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I apologize if this seems like complaining, but I find it very hard to enjoy myself in the smaller TDM matches because more than half the players in-game are all using shotguns. I wouldn't mind if they shot a tad slower but the fact that they can be shot as if they were automatic and kills you in about 3 to 4 shots seems to be a little on the overpowered side. I just find that it should be downgraded, or I can learn to deal with it. Let me know what you all think on this!

Thanks

DS Triggah
04-02-2013, 10:55 PM
dude ill admit im a shotgun user it is so easy to kill someone with a shotgun even on the smallest 6vs6 map depending on your skills stealth blurr you can get away from dangerous distance and if you have a different gun get some range dude. also seen alot more rocket type guns out there that hurt ;o. you will get use to it and soon shotguns wont matter.
I apologize if this seems like complaining, but I find it very hard to enjoy myself in the smaller TDM matches because more than half the players in-game are all using shotguns. I wouldn't mind if they shot a tad slower but the fact that they can be shot as if they were automatic and kills you in about 3 to 4 shots seems to be a little on the overpowered side. I just find that it should be downgraded, or I can learn to deal with it. Let me know what you all think on this!

Thanks

unless its me of course then your dead ^^

Shrouded
04-02-2013, 11:37 PM
It's a shotgun... What do you expect? I guarantee you it does less damage than it does in most shooter genre games. Defiance is after all a Shooter-MMO. Thus follows shooter mechanics with slight scaling differences to make the cross into Shooter-MMO.

Maybe your in the wrong genre of gaming if this bothers you. Not trying to flame you, Just viewing it from an outside perspective taking into account the Shooter label and stylization of the game then giving a response based on the information given and the question asked.

Granberia
04-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Yes, I too am annoyed by the prevalence of shotguns. 90% of the people in battlegrounds are either running around with a shotgun or derping it up with an auto detonator. It's the same old song. Extreme ease of use coupled with high power = abuse.

But jokes aside, it's extremely easy to get up in someone's grill thanks to cloak/blur and the huge spread on most shotguns makes it so that you barely have to even aim. Also the current battleground maps pretty much all force close quarters .engagements. I can't really blame anyone for using what is effective

vikijune
04-03-2013, 12:25 AM
not all shotguns are equal the ones they are using are the combat shotguns and i just talked to my retired special forces freind about them all i can say sorry but this game has them as how you would use them in real life inculding the spee

ozikeri
04-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Remember guys this is an memo with RPG levelling type skills. There will be a way to counteract shotguns in the tree we all just need to figure them out. I can understand your frustrations though. Annoyed the hell out of me on gears until I figured out the jump back button annoyed them more. Haha

NviWraith
04-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Yeah i agree the amount of shotgun is really high (i use it) it would be find if you couldnt go stealth and kill someone in 2 seconds though, i say cloak needs to have some attention for pvp purposes 99% of the ppl use it and the rest just hop around with grenade launchers. Even after said problems, I still really enjoy pvp but ques take to damn long, aint nobody got time fo dat.

Fiddlefaddle
04-03-2013, 06:17 AM
I started using AR and Sniper the first couple rounds, always ended up negative. I was 2 shot from behind multiple times by stealth shotgunners. So I decided to try out rockets to counter the entire enemy team being shotguns, started breaking even but would only get revenge kills as I died to keep my score level. Then I switched to shotgun and sniper...I've been at least 2 positive and had kill streaks like whoa. I still try to focus sniper (chose power shot when I started so no stealth) and not be the annoying shotgun guy. It's a bit sad that you currently have to be either sniper or shotgun to compete until you get better weapons (I was killed by SMG's a bit but they were justified, those bug ones too) and I felt a bit restricted. I think it might just be people figuring things out and latching on to the first thing that works. Hopefully the trend will shift.

Aeekto
04-03-2013, 06:45 AM
If you guys want to counter cloaked Shotties, then you should consider using "Decoy" + "Sensor Sweep" = "Problem Solved".
Most shotty user wouldnīt be able to sneak up to you anymore and are forced to use other weapons (if you keep you eyes opened)
And another solution is the perk "Rear Guard" if you often get hit from behind.

Antherage
04-03-2013, 06:52 AM
I have been using shotguns almost exclusively and I admit I can really do well when people are in close, but as soon as some distance is made between me and someone else there is some trouble.

The biggest problem weapon I have encountered so far is the grenade lobbers. These things are able to spew forth so much damage in an explosive radius that it puts my shotgun to shame. Just wait until you encounter these because they take less aim and do radial damage. At least the shotgun isn't killing 2-3 people at once.

Bluntski
04-03-2013, 07:10 AM
I thinks it's fine IMO.

I use blur + sawed off and I can't really be effective unless I am point blank. Shotty + cloak is a huge waste lol

Aeekto
04-03-2013, 07:27 AM
I have been using shotguns almost exclusively and I admit I can really do well when people are in close, but as soon as some distance is made between me and someone else there is some trouble.

The biggest problem weapon I have encountered so far is the grenade lobbers. These things are able to spew forth so much damage in an explosive radius that it puts my shotgun to shame. Just wait until you encounter these because they take less aim and do radial damage. At least the shotgun isn't killing 2-3 people at once.

There is even for this a solution called "Blast Shield".... if you use this perk, it will be realy hard for them to hit you if they donīt aim good.

Nutter
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
im not advocating nerfing shotguns, but comparing video game balance to real life is pointless. games are meant to be fun and this game is definitely not going for realism. Again, I do not think shotguns need a nerf, I just think that arguing based on similarity to real life is not relevant.

edit :this is in reference to the guy saying his buddy uses them in real life.

Memphis
04-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't know if shotguns *must* be nerfed, but we do need to make sure that there are enough valid counter-perks to balance things out.

I do agree that there's nothing fun about a battlefield where EVERYONE is either a sniper or a cloaked shotgunner.

zdi
04-04-2013, 11:30 PM
I started off with a shotgun and while I won't stay they're overpowered they definetely are the path of least resistance must players are using to get faceroll kills. I wouldn't think their damage needs to be nerfed as much as the stealth perk and accuracy. After using them for a day, dominating PVP matches I feel cheesy and switched to a battle rifle / sticky grenade launcher. I've taken all the tanky perks I could get around Decoy.

Shotties strong they're not impossible to beat. I usually come out on top when I go against one by using clever tricks with decoy. For instance if a shotgunner is in front of me, I'll lay a bunch of grenades where I was standing and wait for him to inevitably chase me for a faceroll kill. Once he steps on them, I press R and teach him a lesson in skill ;). If they start behind me I'll throw a quick decoy in front of me, buy myself some range, swap with it, turn around and do the same thing.

Really though they're more annoying than they are overpowered. Even if they do get nerfed, there'll be a new thing everyone will holler about being too strong. Probably grenade launchers. I've felt much stronger with some of the nasty tricks I've pulled with my decoy. Learning how to set it in a safe spot before battle and immediately swapping when things get hairy has saved my hide long enough to recharge and flak the distracted enemy for a kill. With a bit of intelligence and skill you'll easily overcome the masses playing the flavor of the month.

Lowlif3r
04-05-2013, 03:00 AM
I have a shotgun that fires grenades. Well, technically, it's explosive bullets. But they do more damage than a grenade launcher. And if they hit you... they stick. So many mutants who's gotten a pair of grenades on their ***, just to run to their friends and... KABOOM!

PookLove
04-05-2013, 03:45 AM
To me the shot guns sucks if there is any distance between the target and the shot gun user, and it seems like a waste of cloak just to get up close for a kill.

Fiancee
04-05-2013, 05:30 AM
I think its the maps, what can you do they are close-quarter battles. Im sure this is only the beginning, later they add more maps and make them viable for different kind of weapons.

I'd love to see some multi-floor maps... you could take the high ground or underground.

Choboon
04-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Right now Shotgun is out of line. People mostly chose the path of least resistance and shotgun is it.
Map design just makes it more prevalent, if you get bigger maps the shotgun will still need a rework.
If 90% of people on a map use it and pretty much all you hear is shotgun sounds, it means something is off.

Cizoca
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm frustrated with the amount of people with no skill trying to slow down the game instead of training to improve their skills.
On the good old days of gaming people use to train / farm to be competitive. Now kids want to make the game easier. That's why WOW is ruined. Please don't do that with this game.

Aidan415
04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Posted this further down but i'll do it again.

Called Cloak shotgunning in the beta but everyone was too busy whining about the Cluster rocket launcher, all weapons are inevitability going to be nerfed until fights last 10 minutes each as there will always be a replacement for what's best to use.

Cluster rockets>Cloak shotgun> Cloak SMG> Assault Rifles> Guided Rocket launchers> Stalemate Self healing BMG

Already predict the path of what people with use as people shout for nerfs