PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to Defiance

Satsuki
04-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Alright, so my group pretty much got disgusted with Defiance around the time of the DLC that added arenas. Lack of real content, constant weapon nerfing, weapons not working correctly, etc. drove us away.

But, in the past few days, hearing about the changes and such, and with the last Season 1 DLC (I bought the Season Pass >_< ) we decided to give it another go. Or rather, I was tasked with re-installing and seeing if it's worth coming back to, which I did earlier today.

I made a new character, figuring that trying to get back into a high level would be very awkward now, with all the changes. And its similar enough that I knew what I was doing but I see a whole lot of things altered. Chat seems to be a little better than it was at least.

I've been reading the forums for the past few hours and it seems this is a really chaotic time to return and I'm not really sure what to tell my friends, a couple of whom will have to re-buy the game (Xbox 360 version). So, what I'm asking is.. those who still play and enjoy, what do you think has changed for the positive? What has changed for the negative? I'm glad to see a progression system; I thought it would have been cool from the start, but I see it getting a lot of flak. Are there any tips for a group of seriously confused returning players?

Clarity Page
04-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Ohh wow you're just getting back now, the DLC 5 should be good once they have toned down the bullet sponging enemies and have fixed the sudden difficulty spikes caused by passing players, all due to the poorly balanced dynamic difficulty.

you no longer have to reset guns in order to earn experience with that gun type you do however have to upgrade guns with a new currency "ArkForge" inorder to keep them from becoming too weak when you level up.

oh and because of arkforge the Tier 2 lockbox's have become the preferred choice for most players, since you sometimes get arkforge from lockboxs and buying cheap tier 2s is the most efficient easy way of earning it.

I cant really praise the changes in DLC 5 yet until they have got the balance right though

Satsuki
04-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I read the notes while patching earlier and the earning XP on mastered weapons change was a HUGE plus for me. And playing, I did notice enemies werent so easy to take out as my last time starting over, but they didn't feel too bad, even with people coming and going. I'll keep the Tier 2 thing in mind. Generally I didn't worry about getting great gear early before, I was constantly scrapping and replacing anything that wasnt purple or better. Co Op-ing previously single player only instances also is appealing.

ThanosPrime
04-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Ohh wow you're just getting back now, the DLC 5 should be good once they have toned down the bullet sponging enemies and have fixed the sudden difficulty spikes caused by passing players, all due to the poorly balanced dynamic difficulty.

you no longer have to reset guns in order to earn experience with that gun type you do however have to upgrade guns with a new currency "ArkForge" inorder to keep them from becoming too weak when you level up.

oh and because of arkforge the Tier 2 lockbox's have become the preferred choice for most players, since you sometimes get arkforge from lockboxs and buying cheap tier 2s is the most efficient easy way of earning it.

I cant really praise the changes in DLC 5 yet until they have got the balance right though

Ohhhhh somebody is gonna hate you ;)

Satsuki
04-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Eh, I know enough to filter personal opinion, that's why I asked for good and bad, and why I'm reading everything I can on here. A feature one person hates might be something someone else enjoys.

ThanosPrime
04-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Ummm, then u really need to read more..... you wont like it.

Satsuki
04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Because of? Clarity gave specific examples of things the patch notes back up. "You won't like it" adds nothing. And I am still reading and believe me I'm not liking a lot of it.

ThanosPrime
04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
My reference was to this, you realize this is all sarcasm.

[QUOTE=Clarity Page;1468899]Ohh wow you're just getting back now, the DLC 5 should be good once they have toned down the bullet sponging enemies and have fixed the sudden difficulty spikes caused by passing players, all due to the poorly balanced dynamic difficulty.

I cant really praise the changes in DLC 5 yet until they have got the balance right though[/

Dunno why that pasted like that and while yes, that's what the patch notes say, it is not how the game plays, been playing since the Alpha in late 2012, and the game, after this patch is practically ruined for me.

Satsuki
04-22-2014, 03:56 PM
I figured as much for the "toned down the bullet sponge" was and I've read enough threads to know the spikes are still a problem, but the resetting of guns is true (if misleading from what I've read about Arkforge). I always got Tier II's anyway and in prior playthroughs I always just replaced outleveled guns until I was at least in the 2k range anyway.

Some things I've read that would be good for confirmation:

Enemy health resetting if random people pass nearby
Enemies in general spiking and staying spiked if a high level person gets too close to us.

I like that they are putting in progression but it seems they should have added new landmass first, because most MMOs with non-flat leveling have areas devoted to various level ranges. Defiance is just too small for that.

ThanosPrime
04-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like the "Expert" lvl co-ops, and have enjoyed the "Gunslinger Trials" tho they are somewhat lacking in content. I don't like having to have worked all this time to get to a 4700+ EGO and lvl 20 skills, hours agonizing which one of my 68 fully upgraded perks to choose, then building what seems to be a small collection of perfect weapons for each of my loadouts. Now I cant even take on a few Darkmatter solo in SF without without being murdered horribly. Armor plate upgraded shields make Volge laugh and kill me with one cluster bomb while I'm IN a VENDOR MENU trading off junk. None of my weapons are balanced properly now and I must upgrade them with arkforge, something you have to do pursuits to obtain in small quantities.

A few of these things alone I could have excepted but so many changes all at one time....

Please read the bug logs for further evidence of what I'm saying. An Im not trying to discourage you, please play, just know its not the game you left. I was only offline for about a month and walked right into a face pie. ;)

Satsuki
04-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I was figuring it'd be like a whole different game. Maybe starting from zero again will help me decide if its better or worse overall.

MikoTan
04-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I was figuring it'd be like a whole different game. Maybe starting from zero again will help me decide if its better or worse overall.

I just returned recently, a day or two ago in fact and I can say if you're a low EGO you're gonna have a bad time.

So yeah, Start a new character and play it cause that's the way you'll see the true issues with the game right now. I Don't expect this to last so maybe play it and if you don't like it wait for a patch to see if anything gets fixed.