PDA

View Full Version : New Player - State of the game

Mordresh
04-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Hi guys,

Decided to give this game a shot, I played the trial and I kind of liked what I saw.
However I wonder what the state of the game is, I'm not seeking the typical doom&gloom to be found on any MMORPG forum, I'm just looking more into it's population, content patches and support by developers.

I meanly want to avoid starting a game and invest my time to find out it's mostly ghost-town.
Is it alive and kicking? I'm playing on the European realm, are there many players around?

On another note, I'm also trying to find information to base my class choice on.
Can anyone describe the class choices, just overall quick summary. I'm interested in the Machinist or something, the one with the light machine gun, looks good.

Cheers,
Mordresh

MikoTan
04-23-2014, 02:12 AM
Hi guys,

Decided to give this game a shot, I played the trial and I kind of liked what I saw.
However I wonder what the state of the game is, I'm not seeking the typical doom&gloom to be found on any MMORPG forum, I'm just looking more into it's population, content patches and support by developers.

I meanly want to avoid starting a game and invest my time to find out it's mostly ghost-town.
Is it alive and kicking? I'm playing on the European realm, are there many players around?

On another note, I'm also trying to find information to base my class choice on.
Can anyone describe the class choices, just overall quick summary. I'm interested in the Machinist or something, the one with the light machine gun, looks good.

Cheers,
Mordresh

I'm not sure anyone can say much about the population at the moment, the latest patch kind of upset some people, myself included and until some things are fixed I personally wont be logging in.

After things get fixed (I'm sure they will) this question can be answered much more accurately as we'll see how many left vs. still around.

Nightmare Walkin
04-23-2014, 02:20 AM
The NA servers are alive and well. I don't think the EU servers are. As far as classes u get a different outfit and starter weapons that will be replaced hours(@ most) later. So that means nothing 0.o At least not yet(a year later) how about a third bonus with "2 banger" synergies like the 7th legion that you get if your two weapons match your character. Good thing my main toon is veteran(extra fire rate and_____________). Please fill in the blank trion or what is the point?

Pandur
04-23-2014, 02:24 AM
Hi guys,

Cheers,
Mordresh

Well population is hard to gouge in game but with how shards work it should at least always look somewhat populated.

Support by devs and "content" patches. Well there was a promise of landmass additions since last year, which didn't happen.

Also most new stuff is reskins, they have thrown around the game systems quite alot of times though, which lead to the storm you see in the forums atm.
There's also been some promise of a season2 show tie in for quite a while that didn't happen yet.

Frankly if you enjoy the game with the latest patch you get your bang for the 10$ i would stay away from the DLC and Bitstore at this point though.

Class choice doesn't affect anything but looks and starting weapon so just pick what looks best to you.

Tekrunner
04-23-2014, 02:36 AM
The NA servers are alive and well. I don't think the EU servers are.

PC EU has actually been overcrowded for its number of shards since DLC 5 was released, so for now we're doing fine population-wise. I don't think anyone could say how long it'll last.

Don't sweat over class choice, as others have said that matters very little.

drackiller
04-23-2014, 04:36 AM
Would be nice if he says in what platform he`s playing, but i guess PC since he spoke about playing the trial.

But in PS3 EU, even with all the *****ing and moaning the servers are allways filled in very good numbers.

Hopeisdead
04-23-2014, 05:03 AM
Well on PC i even got an queue to log in xD

About class choice dont worry about it around 2600 EGO you will have pretty much every perk you want, not necessarily those you need in particular situations, include all four powers.

duction
04-23-2014, 05:07 AM
Just put the damn disc in and play it lol, find a good clan to join.

Mordresh
04-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Would be nice if he says in what platform he`s playing, but i guess PC since he spoke about playing the trial..Yeah, I'm indeed playing the PC version.

Thanks for all responses, appreciated.
I purchased the game and started playing :)

Mordresh
04-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Already found myself an orange weapon, was quite excited, but I read that at some point weapons do not let you gain progression anymore. This kind of limits the appeal of a very good weapon (unless it takes quite long to maximize it), in a certain way creating some artificial wall where it becomes useless while of course it isn't really as you can keep on using it.

But shooting down mobs is all about gaining progression, so why would ya use a weapon that is capped, so it is useless not? I guess this encourages you to keep on finding new gear, nothing new in MMO's of course.

Maybe I'm playing this too old skool, but I originally planned to use LMG's and stick to that, I take it it's recommended to use a variaty of weapons or can I stick to only two weapons, e.g. LMG and Rocket Launcher ?

Tekrunner
04-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Already found myself an orange weapon, was quite excited, but I read that at some point weapons do not let you gain progression anymore. This kind of limits the appeal of a very good weapon (unless it takes quite long to maximize it), in a certain way creating some artificial wall where it becomes useless while of course it isn't really as you can keep on using it.

This is no longer true, you'll always be gaining weapon skill xp, even on a maxed weapon. However weapon damage now also increases with EGO, so in order to keep up with the increasingly powerful enemies you'll have to switch to higher EGO weapons, or spend arkforge to upgrade your lower EGO ones.

Maybe I'm playing this too old skool, but I originally planned to use LMG's and stick to that, I take it it's recommended to use a variaty of weapons or can I stick to only two weapons, e.g. LMG and Rocket Launcher ?

There are quite a lot of weapons in the game, which handle in a variety of ways. Much of the fun in the early game is to try them all and see what you like best, so don't limit yourself and give what you find a try.

And if you like to optimize things, have a look at this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmQr62FeibusdDc1eVBXamg3Y0xSYlozbUdJa2lMQ kE#gid=21

Mordresh
04-24-2014, 04:06 AM
Thanks a lot Tekrunner, appreciated.
I had a blast on my first evening, cant wait to play tonight.

Stuka
04-24-2014, 05:09 AM
The NA servers are alive and well. I don't think the EU servers are.

On the other hand you don't get encounters suddenly jumping to TL10 because a high ego player drifted by as much as you do on the NA servers. I am becoming more and more disillusioned with the game the longer it stays without a major patch to address our concerns. All I see at the moment are small hotfixes that dance around the edges while the major issues stay unresolved.

EternalRain
04-24-2014, 05:16 AM
Save your $$$$ and pre order ESO...I think lots of players on this game will make the transition on 6/30...

Mordresh
04-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Save your $$$$ and pre order ESO...I think lots of players on this game will make the transition on 6/30...I'm surprised it took this long, the usual "save your money and preorder (....next launching mmo...)" one reads with any launch of MMORPG in history. I already read the same about ESO lol, save your money, preorder Wildstar.

For your information I'm coming from ESO, played it 20 days non-stop on PC, had a blast, loving it, but I'm looking for a change in between. Defiance looks to be the answer, I also consider both games apples and oranges. But that's where this hopefully stops, I want this thread to be about Defiance, not a "vs" story and doom&gloom as stated in OP. Nonetheless thanks for your advise/opinion, for all we know I might agree with you a couple of weeks down the row... :)

N3gativeCr33p
04-24-2014, 07:24 AM
<snip> but I'm looking for a change in between. <snip>

Having played DCUO since 2010, I was looking for the same thing last April... but then a steady stream of crappy DLPs and other zany game development decisions happened.

Pandur
04-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Save your $$$$ and pre order ESO...I think lots of players on this game will make the transition on 6/30...

At least next time use a game that has a remote gameplay resemblance to the one you're advertising against.....

drackiller
04-25-2014, 01:01 AM
At least next time use a game that has a remote gameplay resemblance to the one you're advertising against.....

LOL, Destiny !? :)

Pandur
04-25-2014, 03:59 AM
LOL, Destiny !? :)

That would work, except no PC version planned afaik :/

Festival
04-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Having played DCUO since 2010, I was looking for the same thing last April... but then a steady stream of crappy DLPs and other zany game development decisions happened.

I picked up Defiance as an occasional change of pace from The Secret World...and got hooked. With most of the people I ran with in TSW inexplicably moving to SWTOR (ugh...), Defiance became my "main," and I loved it. That's about to come to sad, infuriating end, as I've all but decided the core gameplay changes made with DLC5 will never be acceptable to me, no matter how much tweaking they get (unless that "tweak" is a complete rollback!).

Now it's time to hunt for a new game, and that's proving problematic. ESO is high fantasy, a game setting I have no interest in. Wildstar is associated with NCSoft, so that's a non-starter. It's a long dang time until Star Citizen will even be in beta. Cripes, I may actually have to go outside!

N3gativeCr33p
04-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Now it's time to hunt for a new game, and that's proving problematic.

Sorry to hear that... I've found other games to play while they try to unclusterscrew the damage DLP5 did to this game.

dramaQkarri
04-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Cripes, I may actually have to go outside!

OMG don't do THAT! No need to go all to pieces! The last thing we need here is blind panic!
LOL

Deunan
04-25-2014, 10:42 AM
The NA servers are alive and well.I wouldn't categorize the PC NA servers as doing well. It's a bit premature to gage now because Arkforge Revolution is heavily weighted towards doing Expert Co-Op maps that pull players out of the open world part of the game, but attendance at open world events is noticeably lower than it was before the release of DLC 5 with the exception of Kenn Farm incursions and sieges which draw players to get the Apex Hulker kills pursuit.

I do know that many causal gamers have already left since the release of DLC 5 because of the effect dynamic scaling has on the open world or their gameplay in general and I don't foresee much, if any, growth in player population coming from that demographic even after the development team rebalances things in dynamic scaling.

I also know several non-casual gamers that have left because the Arkforge for cash money grab has put them in a position where they no longer want to have anything to do with the game.

As for class, there really are no classes in this game. All your class does is determine what kind of starter outfit and gear your character gets.