PDA

View Full Version : So old.... getting so bored.

rouki
04-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Why oh, why do I continue to think maybe we will get the product paid for? I am tired of a mega corp that gets paychecks from 2 other mega corps to continue to put out faulty "fixes" that then need fixing??? Give me a break for * shakes! :mad: To have "scheduled" down time during peak use hours is beyond audacity! FIX IT.
oh, and get updates every 3-4 hours during fix is just wrong.

Mushbeeguy
04-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Why oh, why do I continue to think maybe we will get the product paid for? I am tired of a mega corp that gets paychecks from 2 other mega corps to continue to put out faulty "fixes" that then need fixing??? Give me a break for * shakes! :mad: To have "scheduled" down time during peak use hours is beyond audacity! FIX IT.

First the economics are what pay people to even think about coding this stuff. Just consider what it would cost the end user if it wasn't subsidized.

Now the break/fix.

I have been in the programming teams position...worse, I have been in Kiwibird's position on a much smaller scale. In my world there was potential for major economic problem and yes, even death if we didn't do what we set out to do.

This is a game. No one is going to get hurt.

Apparently there was a bit of a personnel change. So now a second group:
1. Has to figure out the first teams thought process as far as coding and get into the same groove. I kept wondering how modular the code actually was. Not to mention the amount of commenting and documentation left by the first team.

2. Once they wrap their heads around the code now they have to fix what broke WHILE staying on track for planned updates (DLCs). If step 1 takes too long or the schedule is accelerated ( remember how long the first DLC took to appear...and they have a limited time to produce the rest) the fix list gets pushed back.

I don't know if step 1 has actually been completed. I do know that there is a presence on the forums that actually does get back to management and in return to the userbase. It doesn't have to be the answer you WANT..it just has to be the answer.

Since there has been a management/dev team change there are different ideas on how somethings should work. Mistakes will be made but at the same time breakthroughs will also occur.

I am not a fanboy, I am an older person who is a casual player. In my business career I have had programmers make bonehead mistakes that I would implement and I would be the person accepting the wrath of the customer while the errors were being fixed. I have walked into a customer location to applause and I have walked in to nothing short of what we see on this forum. In both cases my only concern was to please my customer by delivering a product that exceeded their needs. Sometimes it took me just a bit longer than I would have liked to match the need to the code, but I never failed to deliver.

My self imposed hiatus is for one purpose only. I DO expect the team to work out the major kinks in what is a very big change in the game. I wouldn't expect it overnight. And sadly my skills are poor at the game, my blood pressure difficult to control...I just can't be a beta tester anymore.

I'm sure the teams at Trion from the coders to the accountants will get it done.

Rokea
04-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Simple solution quit playing. If you actually read the server status thread they explained that they would be down for a while.