PDA

View Full Version : Weapon related questions. Derailer and FRC Magnum.

Maeson
04-26-2014, 10:40 AM
So I've been trying to find myself a purpose, so to speak. One is to find and beef up a VBI semi-auto sniper like the Phoenix you get from one of those arc code unlocks.

The other is building up my additional arsenal in a way that I find entertaining. But by entertaining I don't mean "completely gimping myself". So the two weapons I have found to be the most... questionable are as the title says The VBI BAS-7 Derailer and the FRC Magnum revolver. Maybe some suggestions are involved.

VBI BAS-7 Derailer.
"Does additional damage to vehicular targets"
Nice. I like the sound this rifle makes over the standard VBI. Much more meaty. But it does less damage to everything but vehicles. And that brings us to a problem.

PvE has no enemy vehicles to shoot at.

This means it is, in essence, exclusively meant for Shadow Wars. And those things come around once every red moon. And I also find the PvP in this game to be infuriatingly bad.
Question: Does this weapon have any additional bonuses? Does it do more damage against mechanical targets like 99rs or Scrappers? Does it have some hidden bonus that helps it break armor on enemies as per the new system?

If none of those then... why not armor defeating? Meaning it breaks armor panels regardless of damage type. I have seen a suggestion that it should outright ignore armor but that would make it too useful in comparison to other sniper rifles. Change the tooltip to say it's "armor breaking". Alternative to everyone packing a bio damage gun in every loadout.

FRC Magnum.
So far as I have seen it does the most damage per shot of any sidearm in the game. Which would be awesome if it didn't, for some reason, have the firing mechanic of a bolt action rifle.
For some reason it kicks you out of zoom and has a very awkward "delay" between shots. One or the other alone would hardly pose a serious issue but both together create a situation where I find myself having difficulties keeping targets in sights while maintaining a sane fire rate. It might just be me, but in general I find the FRC sidearms to be lacking.
Suggestion wise I wouldn't want both of those aspects to be removed because the high damage should be balanced out by something. I would, however, like to see the delay shortened a bit, maybe a mod to let us cut it down further? One neat thing that could be added is an audio queue: a "click" as if the gun was a single action revolver, needing to be cocked by hand after every shot. With the click signaling that a new shot can be fired. The "kicked out of zoom" thing, I'd like to see outright removed, but then again having a high zoom scope would make it into something of a DMR with way more ammo then an actual DMR.

So, I turn to you, forumites. What am I missing? Am I just bad or uneducated in these maters or are these two weapons a bit questionable.

Atticus Batman
04-26-2014, 03:35 PM
The Derailer doesn't do less damage to non-vehicles. It does standard damage to them, but gets a (unreveiled) bonus damage modifier against vehicles. That said Trion is still thinking about changing it so that modifier affects all non-organic enemies.

As for the Frc Magnum, throw the long distance scope on it and pretend it's a sniper. Pistols and Snipers do have some different bonus rolls, and some prefer those pistol rolls over the sniper ones.

http://www.defiancedata.com/weaponbonuses.php

Maeson
04-26-2014, 11:54 PM
The Derailer doesn't do less damage to non-vehicles. It does standard damage to them, but gets a (unreveiled) bonus damage modifier against vehicles. That said Trion is still thinking about changing it so that modifier affects all non-organic enemies.

As for the Frc Magnum, throw the long distance scope on it and pretend it's a sniper. Pistols and Snipers do have some different bonus rolls, and some prefer those pistol rolls over the sniper ones.

http://www.defiancedata.com/weaponbonuses.php

I gathered as much with the FRC Magnum. Though I honestly despise scopes on sidearms because they make the model look... blegh (vain, I know).

As for the Derailer, I say it does less damage because, if you can trust the tooltips, the damage numbers it has are lower then a standard VBI sniper rifle of the similar ego, rarity and bonuses.
But if trion goes through with the "bonus on non-organics"... does that also affect things like the backpack of a tanker? probably not, but you take what you can get.

Error404
04-26-2014, 11:56 PM
I gathered as much with the FRC Magnum. Though I honestly despise scopes on sidearms because they make the model look... blegh (vain, I know).

As for the Derailer, I say it does less damage because, if you can trust the tooltips, the damage numbers it has are lower then a standard VBI sniper rifle of the similar ego, rarity and bonuses.
But if trion goes through with the "bonus on non-organics"... does that also affect things like the backpack of a tanker? probably not, but you take what you can get.

As a proud owner of a pre-patch derailer with 30% to vehicles, I can confirm that the gun does do it's base numbers direct and it isn't in any way reduced other tan by nanos. Headshots, in almost all cases. will have the intended effect.