PDA

View Full Version : Irritating new tactic

Talvan
04-27-2014, 08:38 PM
I have found a couple players doing something recently that is all kinds of irritating. For example. As we all know when other players are around the enemies rank up and are harder to fight. I was doing some side missions, and another player was on the same one I was but literally ran to the side and hid letting me do all the work against tougher enemies while he just waited it out.

Now this was not a case of him just letting his shield recharge as he stood there for a extended period of time and moved a few times to avoid the enemies coming after him. Because the bad guys had swarmed me I was killed and he made no move to help even then. He was basically just staying in the area to get credit after I finished everything off. I got tired of him just watching and led the group over to where he was hiding, and then he actually tried to fight them off.

They ended up killing him at which point I finished the rest off. From the way he behaved the whole time I can only believe he was just letting me do the work while waiting to get credit for the mission. It ended with me getting credit for 30 kills while he was at about 3. I personally would not care except for the fact that his presence does make the mission harder. Has anyone else encountered this type of behavior?

Yrkul
04-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I have found a couple players doing something recently that is all kinds of irritating. For example. As we all know when other players are around the enemies rank up and are harder to fight. I was doing some side missions, and another player was on the same one I was but literally ran to the side and hid letting me do all the work against tougher enemies while he just waited it out.

Now this was not a case of him just letting his shield recharge as he stood there for a extended period of time and moved a few times to avoid the enemies coming after him. Because the bad guys had swarmed me I was killed and he made no move to help even then. He was basically just staying in the area to get credit after I finished everything off. I got tired of him just watching and led the group over to where he was hiding, and then he actually tried to fight them off.

They ended up killing him at which point I finished the rest off. From the way he behaved the whole time I can only believe he was just letting me do the work while waiting to get credit for the mission. It ended with me getting credit for 30 kills while he was at about 3. I personally would not care except for the fact that his presence does make the mission harder. Has anyone else encountered this type of behavior?
Except for completion he won't get anything extra out of just hanging around. He might just be griefing, staying around to raise the threat level.

You can thank the tediousness of combat introduced with patch 1.5 for this more and more prevalent behaviour. It tells us, that when the creative lead uses the phrase "risk/reward", he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Deunan
04-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Yep it's happening all the time. This was also something pointed out in feedback during the test server period. It was another reason why I thought they turned scaling off at the end for conflict sites. I guess they don't care.

I just train mobs on them and leave the area. If they're in a clan I let their clan leaders know. I know 1 got kicked from a reputable clan afterwards. If they don't get kicked that tells you everything you need to know about that clan.

Conceit
04-27-2014, 10:48 PM
I see this all the time doing contracts. One to three little purple dots hang out on the edge of the conflict site that seem to magically disperse one the site is done. For the record this is not new since 1.5. I have seen this since the overhaul of the contract system.

SxB_xPUDDYTATx
04-27-2014, 10:58 PM
ive posted about this, and ive even driven up to conflict sites and seen purple dots sitting at the edge waiting for someone to come along and do the conflict. i usually just keep driving and come back later. it does get old when i have to do the same conflict 3 times because i led a mob to a leech and left though.

Tekrunner
04-28-2014, 12:06 AM
The thing is, they don't even need to stick around to get credit for contracts. They could just drive through the circle if that's what they're after. That would still not be a very nice thing to say, but at least they wouldn't actively hinder other players.

Darth_Nikon
04-28-2014, 12:49 AM
And I still had the opposite of the problem tonight, starting a conflict site contract and going pretty smoothly... until a 5K player showed up. I'm only around 2500 or so, so I was basically reduced to emptying 500 rounds at a time (out of my brand-new today OJ Tachmag) into a raider and still not killing them. What's the point of my even being there once someone twice my Ego shows up? Laying into enemies with barely any effect is kind of the opposite of fun.

Xaat Xuun
04-28-2014, 01:28 AM
I've seen it a couple times, and twice I was that AFK guy, once because I had to leave because the garage Alarm, and had to leave to check if it was just a faulty alarm or someone really breaking into the Garage, the other time, I was just dying and nothing was loading all I saw was the Red Butterfly's, and I had already used my Cluster Nades (only thing that does damage to invisible mobs)
usually when I'm waiting on things to load, so I can actually do, do damage, I just run around shooting towards them anyways, so it looks like I'm doing something
worse thing is when the other player has not loaded, (this has only been a issue with Major Arkfalls and some Conflicts), and they're down, I cannot revive them, all I see is the Purple + blinking on my mini map

but during those times where I'm the one doing all the work, would been nice if they would revive me, when I do go down, I don't care if they run back to hide, but at least revive me

Mordresh
04-28-2014, 01:59 AM
I like the system where I can do activities regardless of EGO level and do things with lower or higher level players. It's a breeze compared to most other MMO's where I cannot do this or that cause I'm either to high or to low or the progression of benefits aren't there. They achieved this I think, but the mechanics still need more work. Like some metric that measures activity and removes that specific player from play and calculation, so a bystander or one that simply passes through is not factored in.

N3gativeCr33p
04-28-2014, 05:11 AM
Laying into enemies with barely any effect is kind of the opposite of fun.

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/id528207bf.jpg

Chocolatelover67
04-28-2014, 05:22 AM
I see this all the time doing contracts. One to three little purple dots hang out on the edge of the conflict site that seem to magically disperse one the site is done. For the record this is not new since 1.5. I have seen this since the overhaul of the contract system.

Bug Basin

Doing the daily there last night and this happened. Only the higher ranked person left the area once I started fighting and the bugs don't scale back down to lower levels.. I thought they should scale back once the ego level in the area drops...... Anyway I got ganked several times by warriors and then archers and luckily some friends who were fantastic came to help me out once they were free.... But this is starting to really sh*t me off. It's happening everywhere.

Logain
04-28-2014, 08:30 AM
Yeah I have noticed this a few times. Mostly with lower level ( <1000 EGO) players. I am not sure if they know that if they leave they will get credit for it.

On the other hand I have been on the other side.
I have been in the situation recently when trying to get some VBI rep (to get that elusive Wildcat which I have to get from a Gunslinger box outside of the green one earned in the GS missions... another topic altogether) I've gone to the radio tower missions. While there I notice I've run into some lower level EGO players trying to complete a mission and I feel bad for making their life miserable. (I hate the fact that anywhere I go it's an automatic TL 4. And if I run into one other 2000+ character it jumps to 8). Anyway I try and quickly kill off everything that has spawned. Then try and leave when there is a break in the enemies so that there is only a TL 2 or so for the lower level ego player when I am gone.

Because shooting 500 rounds into a mutant that just won't die is not fun for them (or me).

wartitan
04-28-2014, 08:33 AM
It's pretty frustrating as a high EGO player (just above 5300) that we can't win for helping or win for leaving. I've had a couple of times where I've showed up to do my dailies, and there is only one or two other lower EGO folks around. I've never jumped ship, always finished the mission and helped, but I noticed a couple of things.

1) If the threat level didn't jump to 10, then I was basically one shotting enemies with my Pulser, which can't be fun for the lower EGO players.
2) The threat level jumps to 10, and while we still finish the site, the lower EGO player barely gets any credit for their effort

Which leads me to point 3) How in the heck are we supposed to avoid the distinct separation of high and low EGO players, especially when the situation above has the same results?

Either way you look at it, low EGO players get shafted in rewards for the same level of effort that the high EGO players put in. And the high EGO players are inevitably being looked at as either intentional or unintentional griefers for simply playing the game. Really frustrating to be helping players only to have them be disappointed....

Etaew
04-28-2014, 08:38 AM
It's pretty frustrating as a high EGO player (just above 5300) that we can't win for helping or win for leaving. I've had a couple of times where I've showed up to do my dailies, and there is only one or two other lower EGO folks around. I've never jumped ship, always finished the mission and helped, but I noticed a couple of things.

1) If the threat level didn't jump to 10, then I was basically one shotting enemies with my Pulser, which can't be fun for the lower EGO players.
2) The threat level jumps to 10, and while we still finish the site, the lower EGO player barely gets any credit for their effort

Which leads me to point 3) How in the heck are we supposed to avoid the distinct separation of high and low EGO players, especially when the situation above has the same results?

Either way you look at it, low EGO players get shafted in rewards for the same level of effort that the high EGO players put in. And the high EGO players are inevitably being looked at as either intentional or unintentional griefers for simply playing the game. Really frustrating to be helping players only to have them be disappointed....

Yeah, I'd really like to know the calculation used to determine the threat levels, and then make a better one :p

TAG
04-28-2014, 08:39 AM
If your doing sites on your own (with only the help of randoms) your doing it wrong. An MMO is meant to be played with others, so go out there and make some friends.

Pandur
04-28-2014, 08:42 AM
If your doing sites on your own (with only the help of randoms) your doing it wrong. An MMO is meant to be played with others, so go out there and make some friends.

Yeah slight problem, if you are the low ego player you are better off being alone at this point.

Your 5500 friend brings the threat level up the same a random person does, which means you can go make a sandwich while your friend does the work.

Helping in that case would net you rewards worth less than a sandwich, it would also be much less satisfying.

Overtkill21
04-28-2014, 08:48 AM

LOL, Doing it wrong you say?

No such thing. I can play any way I wish, in fact the Original Defiance encouraged this...if this game has become a "must play this way" then it has lost a great deal more than just players.

Etaew
04-28-2014, 08:56 AM

And it took how long for this MMO to have a working chat system? We were driven towards solo behavior.

Talvan
04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
I actually have a clan that I am very happy with, but I am a solo player by trade in most MMO's except for where it requires multiple people. I have PTSD and as such avoid people as much as I can, but playing MMO's helps with this as there is a barrier between me and them.

Back to topic: I didn't even consider the fact that he might be griefing but thinking back on it that would make the most sense. If he would get credit anyway then his sticking around was only to make things harder on me. I agree that the TL system needs to be reworked, but I enjoy having some form of it so a high lvl player does not just one shot everything. Is it possible that they could just cause mobs to lvl to specific players instead of the group as a whole? IE: 100 EGO gets TL 1 while at the same event 5000 EGO gets TL 10.

Manstan
04-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Parking is nothing new. I griped about it back in the alpha ;) But ya, they get no score for it other then maybe the rep points if it's a rep mission. Thing is it has gotten to the point that often I have no choice but to run and hide or just leave. I'm fed up with being macho and losing my score.

Deunan
04-28-2014, 09:15 AM
If your doing sites on your own (with only the help of randoms) your doing it wrong. An MMO is meant to be played with others, so go out there and make some friends.Way to miss the point. Take a low EGO character of yours (~500-1000) with a full group of friends of similar EGO rating and go to one of the conflict sites where you get rushed by large waves of allied mobs at the end but have another friend who is EGO 5500 stand just inside the conflict site and not lift a finger to help your group to get some actual perspective on the matter.

Also, since you've brought it up, an MMO is meant to allow and encourage you to play with others. It encourages co-op play by offering better incentives for playing co-op, not by taking harsh punitive measures for soloing content. Any good MMO allows viable options for soloing although often for lesser rewards. It's the foundation of contemporary MMO's and good game design to ensure a player will engage the game even when friends aren't around or have left the game while a player looks for new friends in the game. It ensures game longevity. Any good game developer knows this.

A good MMO also doesn't allow for the kind of exploitation of flaws in the game design that are causing the kind of issues brought up in this thread, and the reason why it exists competely contradicts your claim that it's meant to be played with others in an actual group of friends (as you claim). If it were otherwise conflict sites wouldn't allow ungrouped players to share credit in the accomplishment of goals at the conflict site.

In addition, there are scaling issues that still need to be adjusted in the game. A high EGO player teamed with low EGO players is overscaled to Threat Level 10 at conflict sites regardless of whether the players know each other or not. This is the problem in general with dynamic scaling in the outside world and it's not just an issue for the low EGO players.

Mordresh
04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
A good MMO needs to do a lot of things, however - if one were to just read all the MMO forums - there isn't one in existence. I really appreciate the fact that all content can be done regardless of progression status.

On the solo remark: MMO's use to be about grouping with some solo, MMO's today's are (sadly imo) about solo with some group content. As one that has been playing this genre since 1996 I do not like this evolution, MMO developers need to rethink the genre and try to alter the expectancy that MMO's should be about "going through content alone, with group content as the climax". In a way Trion have done this, the way how you can just walk up some event and join while the game adapts to that, I dare to call it innovation. Though innovation that still require work, of course, Rome wasn't built in one day.

Bonehead
04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Parking is nothing new. I griped about it back in the alpha ;) But ya, they get no score for it other then maybe the rep points if it's a rep mission. Thing is it has gotten to the point that often I have no choice but to run and hide or just leave. I'm fed up with being macho and losing my score.

Yep Definitely not a new tactic,
Definitely.
Just WAY more annoying now.

Working as intended I suppose.

N3gativeCr33p
04-28-2014, 10:02 AM

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r67/N3gativeCr33p/OMG_zpsa0dc1745.gif

Manstan
04-28-2014, 10:04 AM
What I find interesting is the number of people that believe MMO means GMO. Massively multiplayer does not mean group multiplayer.

Mordresh
04-28-2014, 10:59 AM
What I find interesting is the number of people that believe MMO means GMO. Massively multiplayer does not mean group multiplayer.What I find interesting is people playing an MMO to mostly solo :confused:

N3gativeCr33p
04-28-2014, 12:11 PM
What I find interesting is people playing an MMO to mostly solo :confused:

Want to hear something that's even more interesting?

Developing an MMO that's had an otherwise shtako chat system in place for almost a year. Certainly makes forming a group that much more of a daunting task.

Festival
04-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Want to hear something that's even more interesting?

Developing an MMO that's had an otherwise shtako chat system in place for almost a year. Certainly makes forming a group that much more of a daunting task.

And even then it's a "group" only in terms of there being more people shooting at enemies, etc. All that MMO "social aspects" stuff is pretty much irrelevant because it's so hard to, you know...talk to each other. I use the present tense here because the updated chat is only marginally better.

Extreme Rugburn
04-28-2014, 12:24 PM
This has always happened, people want the reputation for the daily/weekly without doing the work. Unfortunately now it totally screws the people actually doing the work because it raises threat level and increases mobs and their strength. As someone else mentioned people dont need to stick around and most dont. They simply stop by, put a few rounds into something, and leave. I still dont like this as I get swamped all of a sudden when they get buffed by the new persons presence, but at least when they leave the threat level goes back down. Those that stick around and do nothing are a problem though and it really doesnt make sense for them to sit there unless they are purposely being pricks.

Manstan
04-28-2014, 12:49 PM

Why would I want to do them any other way? I'm a soloist, I learned to play these games solo. Grouping was not an option. MMO doesn't mean I have to group. or soloing is not allowed. It just means a bunch of people playing the same game at the same time on the same server. I prefer racing games, there just isn't any good F2P ones out there and the sub ones are archaic. Racing games are MMO soloplay. I don't group, clan, fellowship, or team. I've only done one coop mission since launch; did them all plus shadow wars, and team VS team in the alpha, I'm not a team player.

I actually did my first coop a couple of days ago. It was fun because the other playera knew their part. I had cloak so I ran ahead and turned off the autoguns, they kept the enemy off my back while I turned them off. The other players new zone tactics, so even though there was only 4 of us and a TL of 5, things never got too far out of hand. It was fun, thing is, in my experience, that is an exception, not a rule. And you know just what I mean ;)

Now I will admit to saying one of the things I like about defiance is the auto-grouping. During the alpha we all seemed to move through the game at the same pace, or you ended up getting to the same mission at about the same time as others playing at your pace. Didn't take long before everyone knew their part when they got there. I; as always, tanked. Get in there, get the enemies attention, keep moving away/opposite of the key/trigger man, give the big gun the chance to get clear shots off, keep the enemy grouped so the sniper can get clear shots, back up the medic. But I had load outs for each role, big gun, sniper, medic, that is just a bit harder now.

And for those that say this isn't a role playing game, then maintain it's a group play game, what role do you play in the group? If you say "what"? you're doing it wrong :D

Thing is to me an arkhunter is a lone wolf of sorts, maybe has a buddy or two, but a group has a leader and I don't see arkhunters as being led. ;) Oh yes, they know cooperating in a group is mutually beneficial, but not if they can get it done solo. That is one of the things that appealed to me about this game, you could solo 90% of it. And the marketing dept loves soloists, they are the ones that spend all that money on cosmetics to stand out lol

On a role.

What about people that say there is no end game? What do you think we are doing now? Even though I'm doing the story line over again, my game is done so anything I do now is end game content ;)

"Developing an MMO that's had an otherwise shtako chat system in place for almost a year. Certainly makes forming a group that much more of a daunting task". N3gativeCr33p

Or had 40 players spread across 20 shards.

Chocolatelover67
04-28-2014, 07:30 PM
I actually have a clan that I am very happy with, but I am a solo player by trade in most MMO's except for where it requires multiple people. I have PTSD and as such avoid people as much as I can, but playing MMO's helps with this as there is a barrier between me and them.

Back to topic: I didn't even consider the fact that he might be griefing but thinking back on it that would make the most sense. If he would get credit anyway then his sticking around was only to make things harder on me. I agree that the TL system needs to be reworked, but I enjoy having some form of it so a high lvl player does not just one shot everything. Is it possible that they could just cause mobs to lvl to specific players instead of the group as a whole? IE: 100 EGO gets TL 1 while at the same event 5000 EGO gets TL 10.

I don't know how that would or could be worked into the system since everything is live and the same enemy NPCs are on the map as both sets of players. Could it even be done, that one player sees one threat level and the other a different level on the same NPC?

Overtkill21
04-28-2014, 08:27 PM
I tried a new tactic on the leeches - I was in the conflict - threat level 10 then I retreat to them and post up somewhere just outside the circle and do some trading.

By the time I'm done - waddya know - leech gone!

Ahdia
04-28-2014, 08:35 PM
My character is 1100 ego rating. When doing contracts, sometimes an ego 5000 character appears and the threat level goes beyond 7. It turns the contract into an extremely difficult one and my efforts are almost useless.

Sometimes these players stay a while and leave. Some very strong mobs appear and it's not possible to kill them

maverick07
04-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I'd really like to know the calculation used to determine the threat levels, and then make a better one :p

It seems like for conflict sites, where a lot of the problems are, it is going up +1 in threat level for every 1000 EGO that is present at the conflict site. My main character at 5741 now gets threat level 6 for every conflict site not in Mount Tam. Emergencies seem to scale the same way. However, when I was under 5500, I was getting TL 5 for these Conflict Sites and Emergencies. (it rounds maybe?)

Arkfalls, Arkbreak exteriors, and stuff in Mount Tam seems to scale half as much? I usually start at TL 3 at these events (though it used to start at TL 2 for some reason).

Now my second character, currently just hit 4300 EGO, gets TL 4 at the things where my EGO 5741 character gets TL 6 at. On any of my two characters (4300 or 5741), if one of my 5500+ friends comes to the Conflict Site I'm at, it goes to TL 10. So I think it add everyones EGOs up at the site and determines it that way. For the stuff that scales lower though I don't have an idea.

I also think the Sieges are always at TL 10 but that might not be true. Arkbreak interiors might always be at 10 too but that may be getting fixed in the patch 1.504?

It also seems that enemy health continues to scale higher with more players even if you are at TL 10. Probably similar to how it worked before Arktech Revolution.

DSW
04-29-2014, 04:18 AM
always at TL 10 but that might not be true. Arkbreak interiors might always be at 10 too but that may be getting fixed in the patch 1.504?

It also seems that enemy health continues to scale higher with more players even if you are at TL 10. Probably similar to how it worked before Arktech Revolution.

sieges aren't always at TL10, but it tends to be so because of f'd up scaling (you know, 10 people of < 3000 ego and you get TL10 double-spawning volge is a major PITA even for 5K+ players)

and health, well, it's not really a problem. that double-spawning BS is. i think it either should be disabled at all or left only for 30..40+ player sieges.

Overtkill21
04-29-2014, 06:16 AM
...that double-spawning BS is. i think it either should be disabled at all or left only for 30..40+ player sieges.

Yessir, I agree - I find it ridiculous that when they double spawn you can't even tell there are two for a few seconds till one of them moves out of sync with the other.

Manstan
04-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Yessir, I agree - I find it ridiculous that when they double spawn you can't even tell there are two for a few seconds till one of them moves out of sync with the other.

Or you shot it and one gets knocked back and you say "OH F***". This gets real old because the Mission completed screen pops after you kill the first one and are probably fighting the second in some missions. I've been killed by the mission completed screen a few times.

DSW
04-29-2014, 06:35 AM

yeah. i've got some screens with something like TWENTY ark visceras swarming under farmost building at North Point. at least it wasn't ark bombers, you know...

Noble_One
04-29-2014, 08:10 AM
i had this happen to me 3 times last night and after that i just turned to the game off. even when patch 1.5 launched i never had this happen (heard about it but shrugged it off). now after having it done to me i will probably do what puddytat said and just keep driving. i can understand if youre very low ego but that goes out the window when TL is 3 alone for me and jumps to 6 or 7 and you just stand off to the side doing jack.

Dartaan
04-29-2014, 08:16 AM
Yes happens a lot.
The last one that did this to my lower toon had a 5200 ego,they did help but only to save themselves then went back to hiding

Noble_One
04-29-2014, 08:20 AM
A good MMO needs to do a lot of things, however - if one were to just read all the MMO forums - there isn't one in existence. I really appreciate the fact that all content can be done regardless of progression status.

On the solo remark: MMO's use to be about grouping with some solo, MMO's today's are (sadly imo) about solo with some group content. As one that has been playing this genre since 1996 I do not like this evolution, MMO developers need to rethink the genre and try to alter the expectancy that MMO's should be about "going through content alone, with group content as the climax". In a way Trion have done this, the way how you can just walk up some event and join while the game adapts to that, I dare to call it innovation. Though innovation that still require work, of course, Rome wasn't built in one day.

one reason i see the shift is mainly on popularity of said game. after a while most games lose their flavor and people will leave and go to the new thing for a good while. if you make it where your game has little solo and mainly grouping it kills your game when there are not a lot of people around for the grouping thing. so the way developers are doing it now is actually more beneficially to them and us. but thats the way i see, im probably wrong /shrug

Chocolatelover67
05-16-2014, 01:55 AM
IS THIS GRIEFING

You're doing an arkfall site by yourself and doing just fine then near the last wave some other players who must have been lurking nearby out of sight jump in and hog everything ......

You find yourself losing all those points and XP you got because other people are jumping in right near the end.....

This is p*ssing me off.....

drackiller
05-16-2014, 02:02 AM
IS THIS GRIEFING

You're doing an arkfall site by yourself and doing just fine then near the last wave some other players who must have been lurking nearby out of sight jump in and hog everything ......

You find yourself losing all those points and XP you got because other people are jumping in right near the end.....

This is p*ssing me off.....

You know, that happened t me last afternoon/night. It was almost time over for the dailys and i went to do a Soleptor (think it was the Rescue at Stinson Docks) and no one was there , i cut clean through the docks. I had almost every one of the hostages rescued and someone pops up, i only noticed that because of the increase in TL, went from 5 to 10.
Hell, 2 guys and it goes to TL10 and the other one was half my EGO. Sorry but i`m not a baby sitter.

cmpowell
05-16-2014, 02:33 AM
I don't really care if someone pops into something i'm doing, but I do prefer that they tag it, leave, and I'll finish it. It's much easier and depending on what I do to other players when I arrive I do the same. if it's a low ego player I stay until that wave is over and then leave. i think this is the only acceptable way to do things and let everyone still have fun and get credit, but that's just me others may think I'm being a turd.

Chocolatelover67
05-16-2014, 03:31 AM
You know, that happened t me last afternoon/night. It was almost time over for the dailys and i went to do a Soleptor (think it was the Rescue at Stinson Docks) and no one was there , i cut clean through the docks. I had almost every one of the hostages rescued and someone pops up, i only noticed that because of the increase in TL, went from 5 to 10.
Hell, 2 guys and it goes to TL10 and the other one was half my EGO. Sorry but i`m not a baby sitter.

I hope it wasn't me.........

I landed up there last night my time. Currently 7.59pm Friday Night my time here, to give you a rough idea of the time difference.. Anyway I landed up there with someone a little higher then my current ego which is just over 1870.

Anyway we got through Port Stinson with not that much delay.

drackiller
05-16-2014, 05:15 AM
I hope it wasn't me.........

I landed up there last night my time. Currently 7.59pm Friday Night my time here, to give you a rough idea of the time difference.. Anyway I landed up there with someone a little higher then my current ego which is just over 1870.

Anyway we got through Port Stinson with not that much delay.

LOL, not you, i play on PS3 m8.

crazyged
05-16-2014, 05:30 AM
All I can say as a 1200 Ego player, I will NEVER park on the fringe. The only time I've ever floated around like a wally is when my ammo ran out.

I've died more times than I can count, trying to revive other players - I just shrug it off, revive/extract and dive right back in to win my points back. I manage to do a decent amount of damage, TL10 or not.

Love this game, love the people I play with.

I think that may be why I got a surprise invite into BlackSunEmpire EU Clan Yesterday.

Pretty chuffed about that!

Manstan
05-16-2014, 05:34 AM
I propose having it set up so in order to get anything from a mission you have to shot at least 3 enemies. I'm getting a bit hacked off at doing missions by myself at a TL 6 while 3 people set on their thumbs waiting for me to get done; my personal TL is 2.

crazyged once your points are blown you might as well. If you die trying to revive some one you don't lose anything.

crazyged
05-16-2014, 05:43 AM
I'm getting a bit hacked off at doing missions by myself at a TL 6 while 3 people set on their thumbs waiting for me to get done; my personal TL is 2.

Damn, I don't even HAVE a threat level yet! :-D

Getting there, though...

duction
05-16-2014, 05:44 AM
Yup I just leave when this happens.

Manstan
05-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Yup I just leave when this happens.

Depending on the situation; say it hits a TL of 8 so now my weapons are fairly useless, I'll run at them and drag along as many enemies as I can.

duction
05-16-2014, 05:48 AM
TL 6 on my own, as soon as someone turns up its 10

Don't get me wring I can do it but just don't see why I should.

Manstan
05-16-2014, 05:59 AM

My load outs used to be for roles, now they're for threat levels.

Roez
05-16-2014, 06:04 AM
Personally, I enjoy the new ranking system and boost up, and it's why I came back to the game recently. The boost is not as good as if you had obtained the same boosted EGO rating yourself, because you lack the perks and the weapon scaling isn't perfect (it needs to be this way, or there's not incentive to continue to progress your EGO rating to get better stuff). It's still being worked on and adjusted regardless.

One positive is you do more damage, in the same time, and you skill up weapons faster. Another is the game is not as silly easy as it was before (to the point where, again, a ton of people left). It's well known a large gaming segment loves progression, and this new system overall provides it. Hopefully, the changes will help revitalize the game and allow them to create more content going forward. The game got off to a very rocky financial start and needs it.

Bentu
05-16-2014, 06:12 AM

Had a Freemason do much the same as this at Stinson the other day except he run forward and agro the 99ers and run back to the shore and stayed there, when contacted he said he had to go eat.

Yes my thoughts exactly.

If a Freemason leader or founder wants his gt I can supply it. I will be making an in game report as it is.

BJWyler
05-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Why would that be any more interesting than a person who enjoys playing a good game (or one they find enjoyable)?

At the very core of our individual gameplay experience, don't we as gamers find games that give us options to choose how we play through the content more enjoyable than those that are more restrictive? Don't we as gamers just want to find a really well made game to get into and excited about when playing? Why should the genre of the game prevent us from playing a really good game?

You consider the ability to solo through MMOs as a step backwards. However, if MMOs were not made to be so popular in today's society, who then would the die-hard grouper be playing with. The MMO genre would either have died off completely, or everyone would simply be back to playing with their friends at LAN parties.

To be honest, today's method of gaming has become oriented to "casual grouping." I would say that the gaming industry has become better for it. More options that are not forced means more players; more players means a greater infusion of money; a greater infusion of money means more games get to be created; more games getting created means more people interested in playing games; more people interested in playing games means more people who are interested in making games; more people interested in making games means more ideas and more games get created.

This evolution has helped the genre and industry. Truth be told, if MMOs had not evolved to be more solo friendly, then I wouldn't be here playing them today. And that means I would have missed out on playing a lot of fun games and would not have ultimately made a lot of new friends in the in the gaming community.

Pandur
05-16-2014, 06:40 AM

I dunno i don't care about the multiplayer part that much, i care for the persistent world though.
So I have come to accept the fact that other players are an irritation i have to live with if i want to play a persistent world game :P

And grouping once in a while is fun, needing a group every second step like the old games isn't.

drackiller
05-16-2014, 07:00 AM

Exactly like Duction says. I can do it, but i wont.

TheOz
05-16-2014, 07:04 AM
It amazes me that an MMO has made it so that its players are punished when playing together.
Isn't the main point of MMOs, you know, playing with other people?

dramaQkarri
05-16-2014, 07:17 AM
It amazes me that an MMO has made it so that its players are punished when playing together.

Yeah... *sigh*. Just one more oddity on the ever-growing list of bass-ackward thinking at The Company. In fact it has been said by T**** D****** that changes (since around the release of DLP 4) are aimed at getting us to play together. Unfortunately the changes have had the opposite effect.

TheOz
05-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Yeah... *sigh*. Just one more oddity on the ever-growing list of bass-ackward thinking at The Company. In fact it has been said by T**** D****** that changes (since around the release of DLP 4) are aimed at getting us to play together. Unfortunately the changes have had the opposite effect.

DLP 4 was good for grouping, DLP 5 . . . hell no!

EternalRain
05-16-2014, 07:20 AM
I always enjoy when someone tries to reap the rewards without helping. I usually kite a horde of enemies to that person trying to hide, and cloak right when I get to him....Its pretty funny to watch what happens next...

dramaQkarri
05-16-2014, 07:23 AM
On a funny note, last night I was as Sutro with a group, just farming but I had to walk away a few minutes. My friends there are all over 5K. Just to keep me in it they kited everything at me anyway!

Ya see what we've all become? Keep your enemies close to you!

Odessa
05-16-2014, 08:35 AM

I hate feeling guilty about jumping to a friend who's on their low character OR going to a daily and seeing randoms who are low egos already there. I want to be able to do a contract without scanning the map first or joining a friend without the 'is it cool'? message beforehand. I've also been on a low character when a few higher egos entered the contract zone. Pure frustration.

I can say one thing... with the new random scaling they really need to review the penalty for being downed/extracting. How is a low level EGO supposed to get anywhere if contracts are in starter zones? Anything they do is wiped away simply because someone wanted to finish up a contract in the same location.

Manstan
05-16-2014, 12:28 PM
I hit a volgue siege today; literally, was short cutting and dropped in on it. There may have been 8 people there, the place was swamped with enemies; like 8-10 of just the ones that launch missiles. I had 4 one hit deaths just trying to get clear, before I finally respawned out side the site and left.

Z0mb1E
05-16-2014, 12:57 PM

Saw this on every daily I've done for the past 4 days pretty much. Due to scaling issues there are now "cave dwellers" who sit and complete contracts by killing a mob and running off to the side to wait.

Z0mb1E
05-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Why would that be any more interesting than a person who enjoys playing a good game (or one they find enjoyable)?

At the very core of our individual gameplay experience, don't we as gamers find games that give us options to choose how we play through the content more enjoyable than those that are more restrictive? Don't we as gamers just want to find a really well made game to get into and excited about when playing? Why should the genre of the game prevent us from playing a really good game?

You consider the ability to solo through MMOs as a step backwards. However, if MMOs were not made to be so popular in today's society, who then would the die-hard grouper be playing with. The MMO genre would either have died off completely, or everyone would simply be back to playing with their friends at LAN parties.

To be honest, today's method of gaming has become oriented to "casual grouping." I would say that the gaming industry has become better for it. More options that are not forced means more players; more players means a greater infusion of money; a greater infusion of money means more games get to be created; more games getting created means more people interested in playing games; more people interested in playing games means more people who are interested in making games; more people interested in making games means more ideas and more games get created.

This evolution has helped the genre and industry. Truth be told, if MMOs had not evolved to be more solo friendly, then I wouldn't be here playing them today. And that means I would have missed out on playing a lot of fun games and would not have ultimately made a lot of new friends in the in the gaming community.

Incredible insights here BJWyler I agree with all of this. And in all fairness, what I want from my game as a gamer may differ from day to day. Maybe I want to just do solo work on some days, whereas on other days I want to group up. I don't know why when arguments like this arise it has to be feast or famine. We pay the bills for these gaming companies, we should damn well be able to have our cake and eat it too.

firemist
05-16-2014, 01:37 PM
If I start an event and a briefer comes in, I send him/her a message kindly inviting them to go pass time elsewhere. They don't? I leave. But now I am seriously considering posting griefer's name in the zone chat. Yeah, I know, it's not politically correct but public denunciation of this behaviour is needed.

That being said, if I barge in an event (fast travel or otherwise), I will engage to the fullest of my abilities, since by experience, even if I leave immediately, the threat level does not go down....and I will always go out f my way to revive players, even those I don't appreciate that much....And so far, in 8 months of playing this game, not being rescued has happened only three times. I know who and you can bet on their resuscitation chances, if you like gambling.

Chocolatelover67
05-16-2014, 10:39 PM
I know the answer is quite obvious but why did the scaling not make just the players higher, tougher and leave the enemies as they were? At least that way people under 2000 or such can still have a decent fight. Maybe for higher EGO players have more enemies spawn instead of them being tougher.... At least then everyone can play and no one gripes..

cmpowell
05-17-2014, 02:21 AM
don't get me wrong chocolate, but to me tl 5 is a 2000 ego players tl2 even with more enemies j/s

Ishmel
05-17-2014, 03:26 AM
Last night i went to do the dock defence as it was on as daily. I'm at 3700 EGO and there was just one more person there, with Lower EGO than me. The mob scaling from one to two people is just. so. painful. It took us 20 minutes to get the objective and fight off the waves of attacking mobs and then we find out that one of the mobs has spawned inside a crate and can't be killed. #"#%#""#.

From now on, when I arrive at a conflict site I better be alone or there has to be at least a groups worth of people there, otherwise I'll just give it the middle finger and move on.

Chocolatelover67
05-17-2014, 05:22 AM
don't get me wrong chocolate, but to me tl 5 is a 2000 ego players tl2 even with more enemies j/s

Hmmmmm I see where you're going there.....

I just think keep everything the same but only increase the amount of enemies if you are a higher ego player and that way nothing is too tough for the lower ego players... Just more of them. And if a higher ego player leaves the fight the numbers drop off.

Manstan
05-17-2014, 05:31 AM
Last night I was doing a rep mission. When I got there the TL was 6, I looked around and sure enough some one was literally parked; setting in their vehicle, I started in and was getting there; shot cover shot cover. 2 others showed but the threat level didn't change so the 3 of us worked our way done the dock. Then 1 more showed up, TL jumped to 10 and we found ourselves swamped enemies, even with 3 of us concentrating fire on one enemy at a time we couldn't drop them before we were over run. Next thing I know the 3 of us are standing at the respawn site. And there sets 2 parked vehicles, one of them being the person that pushed the TL up to 10. He never got out of his car. By that time the dock was so over run with enemies that we couldn't get back to the back to release the last hostage. The guys in the cars didn't leave till we had drawn the mobs down the docks to the entrance where we were fighting trying to get back in.

The only solution I can think of for this to set the game so a person just being in the area doesn't effect the TL, the person would actually have to engage the enemy to effect the area's TL.

Riz
05-17-2014, 06:21 AM
I actually leave sites with my 5350 EGO. Yesterday at arrival and i was alone its TL5, then an 1000 EGO joined in and the TL went to 7. Still fine for me, not so much for the other dude. But he was a brave one. Then a 2000 EGO arrived and the TL went to 10. A b!tch for me since i have now 2 players doing their best but not being effective. Time to kill the latest spawn and immediately port out for them to at least enjoy some of that site at a lower TL. Sad it has to be this way.

Arti
05-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Was wondering why things would just up and become bullet sponges when I was doing some of the events. I'll have to keep an eye on the minimap more.

cmpowell
05-18-2014, 02:10 AM
noticed today doing port stinson that even ppl at the vender near the sight could raise the tl and they probably didn't even know they were doing it, lol

soria
05-18-2014, 05:19 AM
you will find that high ego players tag daily challenges just to get vendor rep and are not interested in clan contribution or rewards

Chocolatelover67
05-18-2014, 05:39 AM
you will find that high ego players tag daily challenges just to get vendor rep and are not interested in clan contribution or rewards

Then why not bugger off once the area has been tagged?

soria
05-18-2014, 05:46 AM
often they do but resetting threat level takes a bit.i suggest people keep an eye on the threat level and mini map so that when someone enters the blue hide for a mo and checkout what they are doing.

Chocolatelover67
05-18-2014, 05:51 AM
often they do but resetting threat level takes a bit.i suggest people keep an eye on the threat level and mini map so that when someone enters the blue hide for a mo and checkout what they are doing.

That is a good idea. But sometimes people camp out at the vendor.... by the time you are down the dock you can't see them on the mini map

soria
05-18-2014, 06:01 AM
i know what you mean .Port Stinson is bad as people not even in the blue seem to raise the threat level.what i do if i can is hit the contracts as close to the reset time as possible or join an active clan who will help you out

Chocolatelover67
05-18-2014, 06:18 AM
i know what you mean .Port Stinson is bad as people not even in the blue seem to raise the threat level.what i do if i can is hit the contracts as close to the reset time as possible or join an active clan who will help you out

I'm in a good clan.... But sometimes you like to do these on your own and it's not the fault of the higher ego players that might drop by and the threat level changes, most of the time they are there to do the same event, but the ones that just hang out on the edges...

But yeah the new scaling has kind of made this game interesting in ways I didn't expect.

Gigibop
05-18-2014, 03:52 PM
hardly a new tactic, and you can easily just leave the area and let the afker finish it for you instead, 'play the player'

soria
05-19-2014, 12:18 AM
keep no scrip if you can.on my low ego toons i carry no scrip if possible especially going into a WM.no scrip no extraction fees

DSW
05-19-2014, 12:21 PM
keep no scrip if you can.on my low ego toons i carry no scrip if possible especially going into a WM.no scrip no extraction fees

welcome back from deep sleep. extraction doesn't cost scrip for many months now. but it cost you points.

dramaQkarri
05-19-2014, 12:25 PM
welcome back from deep sleep. extraction doesn't cost scrip for many months now. but it cost you points.

yes it does, I still get extraction fee of 180 scrip as well as lost points. Cuz I carry too much money...

Deunan
05-19-2014, 12:25 PM
welcome back from deep sleep. extraction doesn't cost scrip for many months now. but it cost you points.It still costs you 180 scrip.

Xaat Xuun
05-19-2014, 02:21 PM
and I know once your down to 400 scrip in your wallet, it takes 6 scrip. I haven't been below 300 scrip, but in the 300's. I'm not sure at what point, they decide, "well . .they're broke enough, Extraction is free"

DSW
05-19-2014, 03:35 PM
It still costs you 180 scrip.

huh. never noticed it since new mechanics kicked in :/

DEATHBRINGER210
05-19-2014, 03:40 PM
not new. old always happens

Pilot
05-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I just pull back send them a message they're going to have to find another person to do their work for them, and drive away.

QuickStirr
05-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Is this thread about the small blue circle mission? cause if it is god i agree with the OP. Ever since people starting doing this to me, id just try to rush it and finish it as fast as possible before someone comes and either afk or kill anything and just leave.

It really ruins the fun how people can just easily do this and still get rewarded. I think dev can do something about these guys. The ones that drive by kill an enemy then run off while someone else does the work. They should make it that if the player leave the mission zone they automatically get MISSION FAIL and will not get any reward.

As for the player that hide, if they are idle for more then 30sec, idle meaning not doing anything such not shooting or moving will get kicked from the server that or have them get auto ported elsewhere with a mission fail.

Nivekwons
05-19-2014, 09:49 PM
The thing is, they don't even need to stick around to get credit for contracts. They could just drive through the circle if that's what they're after. That would still not be a very nice thing to say, but at least they wouldn't actively hinder other players.

This as I have learned is only true of they are driving faster. I had it happen 3 times in 2 weeks where someone was driving slower or just running through my mission and kept going boosting the enemy difficulty to a point where I couldnt even damage them. Not fun or fair to the newer ones like myself, they need a rework of that system

QuickStirr
05-19-2014, 10:02 PM
This as I have learned is only true of they are driving faster. I had it happen 3 times in 2 weeks where someone was driving slower or just running through my mission and kept going boosting the enemy difficulty to a point where I couldnt even damage them. Not fun or fair to the newer ones like myself, they need a rework of that system

Agreed, monster get stupid hard. I'd go from doing 700dmg per shot to like 40dmg per shot by the time the armor is gone im out of ammo for both primary and secondary on 1 enemy lol

DSW
05-20-2014, 04:07 AM
well, the ego scaling still broken - this night was doing my dailies, got to one of ports and found ~600 ego player there. guess what? our total threat level jumped to 8 (EIGHT!) for us so that he could basically play 'tag&hide' until i kill all 99ers.

Odessa
05-20-2014, 10:37 AM
This morning I ventured in SF to do one of the weekly events prior to going to work. Bad idea. While I can't recall the name of it, I will be skipping that area without a full group from now on. I entered the circle with a TL10. I saw two people. The sheer amount of enemies was absolutely insane. Scrappers first, then the Dark Matter... zomg. So many of them! I kept having to lead enemies to the other people, who were hiding. No way was I going to start over and they needed to either start shooting or leave. We finally got a moment to call for backup in clan chat, and even then it took a while to clear out.

Nivekwons
05-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Agreed, monster get stupid hard. I'd go from doing 700dmg per shot to like 40dmg per shot by the time the armor is gone im out of ammo for both primary and secondary on 1 enemy lol

I ran into that again yesterday, I was playing with one other player that wasn't that much higher than me and the threat level jumped to 10. We had to double team each enemy individually and we were running out of ammo before we could kill 1 guy! We had to protect a generator from 60+ guys, none of which we could kill individually. Talk about BS!

Ashlocke
05-21-2014, 01:45 PM
I loathe the messed up anti-fun nature of the new scaling mechanics so much, there aren't words to describe my hatred.

I've gotten to the point now when I go to do my contracts, I will be happily running through a contract site having fun and the moment I see the TL go above 6 I just fast travel the hell out of there and either go do something else where no one else is around or I just log off.

Yrkul
05-21-2014, 02:53 PM
I loathe the messed up anti-fun nature of the new scaling mechanics so much, there aren't words to describe my hatred.

I've gotten to the point now when I go to do my contracts, I will be happily running through a contract site having fun and the moment I see the TL go above 6 I just fast travel the hell out of there and either go do something else where no one else is around or I just log off.
I'm at a point where I do the same. The game has become very unstable for me, and at times it crashes every 5-15 minutes in periods. That means I have to do my dailies as fast as possible. Once threat levels go past level stupid, it's most likely a waste of time for me. Add to that the new "feature", that wipes your score and hands you a pittance in currencies, and I can do the whole thing all over again. Before last patch, if I was fast and lucky enough, I might still make it into the game again before the conflict site was finished. Not any more.

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/01/thanks_obama_feat_r_money-26567.gif

dramaQkarri
05-21-2014, 02:56 PM
This morning I ventured in SF to do one of the weekly events prior to going to work. Bad idea. While I can't recall the name of it, I will be skipping that area without a full group from now on. I entered the circle with a TL10. I saw two people. The sheer amount of enemies was absolutely insane. Scrappers first, then the Dark Matter... zomg. So many of them! I kept having to lead enemies to the other people, who were hiding. No way was I going to start over and they needed to either start shooting or leave. We finally got a moment to call for backup in clan chat, and even then it took a while to clear out.

That must've been Sutro Tower. I gotta get that done tonight.

Odessa
05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
That must've been Sutro Tower. I gotta get that done tonight.

Nope! That is a cake walk compared to this. It's the one south of Overpass, where the trolleys are. You have to deal with scrappers while turning off/hacking/??? signals then go to a computer and override it while Dark Matter pours in from every side. Eventually you get useless Hellbots to shoot in the general direction of the enemies. But... I'm not bitter.