PDA

View Full Version : Should my buddies and I get this game? Please help!

MarchWaltz
04-02-2013, 10:57 PM
So...the big coop games we are looking at is either this or dead island riptide (we LOVED dead island).

I just saw this game recently and had some questions...

MMO? Like, can I pick a class? Specialize? Can I be unique between my 2 other buddies? Can we spec say sniper, heavy gunner, medic, tank, ect? Basically, is it a STRONG RPG on its own.

Exploration? (Part of the reason we loved dead island). How is the exploration? Lots of stuff to discover? Can we be traveling in a car and stop by a dungeon or what not and go in and start messing stuff up and come out with gear and loot and stuff? Is the game a seamless world? Will my friends and I run into you in the game world or pass by you in a car we jacked or what not?

How is the shooting? Is it involving and fun? Can I modify my guns? Do I loot weapon parts and modify it to my gun? Can we do drive by's?

Just by looking at the game, my buds and I are hoping for an MMO type of fallout, kinda sorta. Maybe.

So...with that being said...what do yall think? If I am going to buy this it will be to play primarily with my 2 other buddies...so...it is this vs riptide.

Moonblitz
04-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Depends where your located but at the moment in the UK the game is so shockingly bad to even play, you can't even login.

Kocot
04-02-2013, 11:13 PM
There's a video on YouTube, an hour special with a dev. Go and watch that, think it was IGN who did it.
That'll answer a lot of questions.

But so far I've managed fifteen/twenty minutes playtime this morning, it was fun.
But in the UK the servers were down from the start 'til around 9:30PM (That's when I gave up trying)

MarchWaltz
04-02-2013, 11:18 PM
I rather not watch a dev video since they doctor all the videos, I want to ask people who have some time on it. Thank you for replying, however.

bartish
04-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Yes to most of those questions. too many to answer :/ but as the guy said you can watch the livestream and if you like it you can buy it and if you dont like it you can return it for credit towards dead island. But the game is addictively fun and I doubt you will not like it :P

2012derrca
04-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Im loving it! Its great solo, however I have yet to get around to trying any coop stuff. I know your car cant get stolen and i dont think you can harm other players unless in a match.

A s0t
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
its really fun, i havent had a real problem like other people signing in and what not

Kocot
04-02-2013, 11:25 PM
I rather not watch a dev video since they doctor all the videos, I want to ask people who have some time on it. Thank you for replying, however.

Well in that case, Twitch TV is your best bet! Just hope there's a stream up.
At the moment, I'm a little disappointed with the servers, I would've actually benefited more from putting 40 in my toaster rather than buying it.

Well, at least that's how I'm feeling right now due to server issues.
But other than that it's a pretty nice game. Not managed to mod a weapon yet, but it's doable.

TripMyWire
04-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Dont listen to the bitter cry babies who cant get on the game.

The game is good and its 10x better when you play with friends. Also i installed all patches and got on the game first time so dont let that put you off. Game aint perfect but already had a few updates

2012derrca
04-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Kocot the servers will improve over time. Im sure they are trying their best to give us a great game. Id rather them take some time and actually fix things than just use some duct tape lol. If you cant my meaning

MarchWaltz
04-02-2013, 11:34 PM
How big is the game world? And is it PERSISTENT? Is the coop section sectioned off?

What can my buddies and I do with just us 3 in the "main" world.

Can we (again 3 of us, we are looking at this game for coop only) discover things?

Keep those experience-based answers coming gusy! Thanks!

Tango80
04-02-2013, 11:37 PM
First off yes this game IS an MMO but not in the traditional sense. There are no dedicated tanks, healers, dps, and CC. You pick an archtype which determines your starting loadout. That's it.

The dungeons you have to acctually Que up for so no there is no driving to a dungeon instance then running inside.

Exploration so far the map is pretty big and from what i've read from some of the posts in the forums it would take you 4h to walk from one end of the map to the other. And yes it is seamless for the most part i haven't really had a loading screen other than when doing some of the quests that have cut scenes or you going into a solo zone / dungeon

No Drive by's, No car Jackings, in the standard world however there is the Shadow War PVP which has a vehicle with mounted guns. Shooting involving such as dodging for cover when your shields are low or trying to hit the moving and evading mobs.

Modding guns yes but in sort of a stat format. I.e. Different type of barrel will do more damage or more crit. However if you want to add a different mod to a gun you have to make a choice. You either keep the gun and lose the mods or Lose the mods and keep the gun. (But then again i really haven't messed with the modding of my guns too much yet)

Loot comes in many form either gun, shield, grenade, weapon mod.

Tango80
04-02-2013, 11:40 PM
There are also random encounters you might come across where another player is doing it. You can hop in and help or not. Think public quest. Everyone in a certain Area is working toward the same goal.

PVP is sectioned off for the most part. Haven't really mess with Shadow War which is 48v48 i believe and takes place on the map.

silvertemplar
04-02-2013, 11:45 PM
So...the big coop games we are looking at is either this or dead island riptide (we LOVED dead island).

I just saw this game recently and had some questions...

MMO? Like, can I pick a class? Specialize? Can I be unique between my 2 other buddies? Can we spec say sniper, heavy gunner, medic, tank, ect? Basically, is it a STRONG RPG on its own.

Exploration? (Part of the reason we loved dead island). How is the exploration? Lots of stuff to discover? Can we be traveling in a car and stop by a dungeon or what not and go in and start messing stuff up and come out with gear and loot and stuff? Is the game a seamless world? Will my friends and I run into you in the game world or pass by you in a car we jacked or what not?

How is the shooting? Is it involving and fun? Can I modify my guns? Do I loot weapon parts and modify it to my gun? Can we do drive by's?

Just by looking at the game, my buds and I are hoping for an MMO type of fallout, kinda sorta. Maybe.

So...with that being said...what do yall think? If I am going to buy this it will be to play primarily with my 2 other buddies...so...it is this vs riptide.

Just my oppinion, i won't say yes or no. It's definitely a fun game, but currently it has alot of flaws, primarily in the MMO department.

1. There's no classes, it's a "soft" RPG in that regard. Think Deus Ex . You do have "skills" and you do have a "talent tree", but there's no such things like "medics" and "engineers" . Your only distinguishing factor in this game will primarily be the weapon you use . You can improve your weapon skill "as you use the weapon" , so you can specialize in a specific type of weapon, so i suppose you will most likely pick a play style (shotgun close combat vs. explosive vs. sniper) , but that's about it.

2. Exploration, yes. That is there, relatively large landmass without loading screens. You drive around and there's quests and dungeons scattered all around the map. Think Need for Speed here, alot of the "events" are like those NFS events you see on the map, you drive to them and take part in it. There is also the Arkfalls, which is random events/boss fights that appear totally randomly in the areas . Yes, you will get loot, you will see other players, you will drive or "fast travel" to towns to buy new stuff and there are dungeons and group specific content.

3. Shooting is like any 3rd person shooter for the most part, pretty solid imho. You can headshot and all that. However there's nothing like the Mass Effect "cover" system where you can stick to walls and properly hide behind objects. So that part is still a bit lacking. You can dodge and crouch, and get passives to improve how well you do while doing these.

4. Yes, you can modify your guns. It's kinda like a Diablo system , instead of Gems, you have mods. Weapons have mod-slots and you can slot certain mods in them. So weapons have more slots, some have no slots etc etc. Trion has kinda oversold this mod system indicating that you do some serious modding to the weapons, i.e. turning a standard shotgun into something that shoots a sticky splatter that makes mobs stop in their tracks (like CC'ing a mob).

5. I'd say it does resemble Fallout, if you look at the fact that cities are destroyed and all that. But it's more Stargate'ish in the sense that while the theme look "post apocalypse" , the world is very alien with monsters and other alien races (enemy and friendly ones) and strange plant growth. I prefer it this way though, as it allows room for some "unrealistic" or "fantasy" like things that you won't see in Fallout.

I'd say you will definitely get a good amount of Coop fun, especially if you play with someone you can communicate with OUTSIDE THE GAME. The social part of this game is seriously lacking right now, the chat system is borked, so you are better off communicating with players via Mumble/Teamspeak/Skype than in-game.

Another thing of concern is the longevity. I'd say this game being more of a PvE/Questing type of game will have an "end". It might be a week or a month, but it is going to end pretty much as fast as something like Assassin's Creed or Skyrim if you know what i mean. I have no clue how long Riptide last people, but if you go into Defiance with the expectation of having a few weeks of fun, you should be good. If you go into this expecting World of Warcraft aka "years of content" , then you are going to cry very loudly.

There are of course PvP also, this is pretty much set up like other PvE specific MMOs. It's seperate from the main game, you join a queue and you are thrown into a map with a few rules (aka Battlegrounds). I am sure there is fun to be had, but this would not be my primary reason for getting this game. There are better games , for free, if you want to have a PvP experience (i.e Planetside 2) .

Tango80
04-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Just my oppinion, i won't say yes or no. It's definitely a fun game, but currently it has alot of flaws, primarily in the MMO department.

1. There's no classes, it's a "soft" RPG in that regard. Think Deus Ex . You do have "skills" and you do have a "talent tree", but there's no such things like "medics" and "engineers" . Your only distinguishing factor in this game will primarily be the weapon you use . You can improve your weapon skill "as you use the weapon" , so you can specialize in a specific type of weapon, so i suppose you will most likely pick a play style (shotgun close combat vs. explosive vs. sniper) , but that's about it.

2. Exploration, yes. That is there, relatively large landmass without loading screens. You drive around and there's quests and dungeons scattered all around the map. Think Need for Speed here, alot of the "events" are like those NFS events you see on the map, you drive to them and take part in it. There is also the Arkfalls, which is random events/boss fights that appear totally randomly in the areas . Yes, you will get loot, you will see other players, you will drive or "fast travel" to towns to buy new stuff.

3. Shooting is like any 3rd person shooter for the most part, pretty solid imho. You can headshot and all that. However there's nothing like the Mass Effect "cover" system where you can stick to walls and properly hide behind objects. So that part is still a bit lacking. You can dodge and crouch, and get passives to improve how well you do while doing these.

4. Yes, you can modify your guns. It's kinda like a Diablo system , instead of Gems, you have mods. Weapons have mod-slots and you can slot certain mods in them. So weapons have more slots, some have no slots etc etc. Trion has kinda oversold this mod system indicating that you do some serious modding to the weapons, i.e. turning a standard shotgun into something that shoots a sticky splatter that makes mobs stop in their tracks (like CC'ing a mob).

5. I'd say it does resemble Fallout, if you look at the fact that cities are destroyed and all that. But it's more Stargate'ish in the sense that while the theme look "post apocalyps" , the world is very alien with monsters and strange plant growth. I prefer it this way though, as it allows room for some "unrealistic" or "fantasy" like things that you won't see in Fallout.

I'd say you will definitely get a good amount of Coop fun, especially if you play with someone you can communicate with OUTSIDE THE GAME. The social part of this game is seriously lacking right now, the chat system is borked, so you are better off communicating with players via Mumble/Teamspeak/Skype than in-game.

Another thing of concern is the longevity. I'd say this game being more of a PvE/Questing type of game will have an "end". It might be a week or a month, but it is going to end pretty much as fast as something like Assassin's Creed or Skyrim if you know what i mean. I have no clue how long Riptide last people, but if you go into Defiance with the expectation of having a few weeks of fun, you should be good. If you go into this expecting World of Warcraft aka "years of content" , then you are going to cry very loudly.

This part however i wouldn't really Pay too much attention to because Party chat works just fine. As this is in the Xbox360 forums. However if your on PC or Ps3 thats a whole new ball game there.

silvertemplar
04-03-2013, 12:48 AM
This part however i wouldn't really Pay too much attention to because Party chat works just fine. As this is in the Xbox360 forums. However if your on PC or Ps3 thats a whole new ball game there.

Oh hehe, right, didn't even notice i'm in the console section. Anyway, then ignore that part, console people don't need text chat anyway. So you should be fine in that regard. Us PC people however is kinda screwed with this at this point.

MarchWaltz
04-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Thank you for taking the time and helping me out. Sorry for the pestering but I am very OCD before I buy a game, especially one I never knew existed.

So...overall are there a lot of quests? And I assume I can tackle those quests WITH my buddies? Are the quests varied, like WoW and other MMO's?

What's up with the "COOP maps" I keep hearing about...those kinda scare me.

Again, thank you for putting up with me.

xcbox dmo
04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
There are many different types of quests. You have episode missions which pertain to the tv show that starts later this month. You have main missions which take you along the main story line obviously. Then you have a handful of side missions. Anything from rescue missions to extract data missions. As you are driving around with friends though, you may see like someone down or a big group of enemies. You can help the downed ally or fight the big enemies and those are little quests that aren't labeled on the maps. Then there are single player side missions that have leaerboards such as a time trial race or kill as many people as possible mission. You can do all the quests with your buddies except for the leaderboard ones.
The COOP maps enables you to leave the main map and go do a co op mission. I did one last night with my friends. It is only four people and if you only have two for example it will matchmake for the other teammates. It then takes you to a map and you complete missions which usually result in a big boss at the end. I believe trion will be adding for co op missions throughout the life of the game.

xcbox dmo
04-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Also, In the coop missions you still colect Scrip and weapons. I actually thought I found for weapons by doing that co op mission.

silvertemplar
04-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Thank you for taking the time and helping me out. Sorry for the pestering but I am very OCD before I buy a game, especially one I never knew existed.

So...overall are there a lot of quests? And I assume I can tackle those quests WITH my buddies? Are the quests varied, like WoW and other MMO's?

What's up with the "COOP maps" I keep hearing about...those kinda scare me.

Again, thank you for putting up with me.

I'd almost go as far as saying , with the exception of the dungeon-story missions, all the open world quests are "group" or "coop". So much so, you don't need to group to get credit. This implies that if you are on a mission to clear a base of mutants and there are only 10 mutants, you will complete the mission when those 10 mutants drop whether you shot them or whether someone else shot them, as long as you were there shooting at the mutants.