PDA

View Full Version : Why can't there be an offline mode in the game?

Chocolatelover67
04-28-2014, 04:32 AM
First off I know it's an MMO so has to be online but why isn't there some kind of offline mode, surely side missions do not need the internet to run do they? Why isn't there some kind of offline mode to say do things like that when you don't or can't be online to play?

Atticus Batman
04-28-2014, 04:42 AM
It is all in a persistent world so it does need online access. I am afraid that is how most MMOs are. It may suck, but atleast you don't have to worry about a monthly sub fee for net access to your games, like us Xbox users do. Besides there are plenty of games out there to play without net access, I am afraid you will need to find one of those, for when you can't get online. I play mostly Defiance and Mass Effect 3 Mp, but I do have offline games to play as well.

I think instead of an offline mode, they should try harder to convince Microsoft and Sony, to let ALL 3 platforms play together! I'd love to be albe to connect with all my PC friends and (ps3) Readnek cuzins!

Chocolatelover67
04-28-2014, 04:45 AM
It is all in a persistent world so it does need online access. I am afraid that is how most MMOs are. It may suck, but atleast you don't have to worry about a monthly sub fee for net access to your games, like us Xbox users do. Besides there are plenty of games out there to play without net access, I am afraid you will need to find one of those, for when you can't get online. I play mostly Defiance and Mass Effect 3 Mp, but I do have offline games to play as well.

I think instead of an offline mode, they should try harder to convince Microsoft and Sony, to let ALL 3 platforms play together! I'd love to be albe to connect with all my PC friends and (ps3) Readnek cuzins!

What does that term "persistent world" mean though? Why does that need a connection to online servers?

Atticus Batman
04-28-2014, 04:53 AM
It means you NEED the internet, obviously. What matters is that it is an MMO, which means you have to HAVE the internet to play it. It doesn't matter what term is coined by a company, when the O in MMO means ONLINE. So I am afraid it is play Defiance ONLINE, or DON'T play Defiance. I don't know about you, but while I have net access I normally CHOOSE Defiance. When I don't I CHOOSE Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, or Red Dead Redemption. It's this simple, Play it the way they require you to, or don't play it at all.

N3gativeCr33p
04-28-2014, 05:06 AM
What does that term "persistent world" mean though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_world

Clarity Page
04-28-2014, 05:28 AM
The only MMO with offline mode that I know of is Guild wars which is only partially an MMO, fact is MMOs are built with the server & client combo in mind and separating them would basically mean rewriting the game, there is no simple or even complex patch to do that.

I know AI is handled by the server as well as interactive objects and some non interactive barricades/objects they forgot to put in the local version of the map.

If the game had an offline mode it would be really easy to hack in guns ect.
To ask for an offline mode in an MMO is like asking B&Q to sell Pizza, its not what they do and they are not equipped to offer that service.

Chocolatelover67
04-28-2014, 05:34 AM
The only MMO with offline mode that I know of is Guild wars which is only partially an MMO, fact is MMOs are built with the server & client combo in mind and separating them would basically mean rewriting the game, there is no simple or even complex patch to do that.

I know AI is handled by the server as well as interactive objects and some non interactive barricades/objects they forgot to put in the local version of the map.

If the game had an offline mode it would be really easy to hack in guns ect.
To ask for an offline mode in an MMO is like asking B&Q to sell Pizza, its not what they do and they are not equipped to offer that service.

Yeah I know.....

It was a question I wanted to ask all the same.

Mordresh
04-28-2014, 09:02 AM
First off I know it's an MMO so has to be online but why isn't there some kind of offline mode, surely side missions do not need the internet to run do they?Because it's an online game and developed from the ground up for that purpose and it works differently due to the client/server aspect and not a local install which does both. Those are the facts, all the other "why not this or why not that" is (imo) a pointless debate similar to - pardon the simple analogy - trying to argument why a Pizza restaurant didn't chose to be a hamburger restaurant or why they don't serve just both, after all it got a kitchen right?? Well sir, because they had different plans....!?