PDA

View Full Version : Defiance is going free to play - not sure how I feel about it....

SteveQ
05-01-2014, 09:22 AM
So, the word on various websites is that Defiance is going free to play from June for PC, July for ps3 and Xbox has no date yet. As a season pass holder and fan of both the show and the game, I'm not sure how I feel about this and more importantly it makes me feel like the game is getting ready to be shelved as a bad idea.

According to game informer (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/01/defiance-going-free-to-play.aspx?utm_content=buffer70535&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer) "All new and existing box copy owners will receive boosts, character shots, keys, and currency".
I'm thinking shots is meant to be slots...I think all of us who have been here since the beginning deserve more, perhaps like something that newbies can see that we were here since the beginning, a rare vehicle would do nicely.

I've never been a fan of free-to-play ever since City of Heroes/City of Villains tried it but ended up shutting down.

Etaew
05-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Interesting, so yet again another large announcement that people stumble across on external sites without us being told in person? Ouch.

Overtkill21
05-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Interesting, so yet again another large announcement that people stumble across on external sites without us being told in person? Ouch.

It's that open communication that we were promised...isn't it grand!

Lucent
05-01-2014, 09:31 AM
The Game Informer one sounds wrong.
I don't think we are getting more character slots...

dramaQkarri
05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Scapes did post this just now:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?157689-Defiance-Free-to-Play-Arrives-June-4!&p=1476721&viewfull=1

Etaew
05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Scapes did post this just now:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?157689-Defiance-Free-to-Play-Arrives-June-4!&p=1476721&viewfull=1

True, but who notices new stickies, we didn't.

dramaQkarri
05-01-2014, 09:35 AM
True, but who notices new stickies, we didn't.

Me either, went looking for it on devtracker

dramaQkarri
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Also here's another thread similar to yours OP - has IGN article link which has direct quotes from T.D.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?157691-Defiance-officially-going-free-to-play

Iceberg
05-01-2014, 09:38 AM
"Trick Dempsey, creative lead on Defiance, states that the top tier or highly prized loot won’t be available via the cash shop."

From the article, so that whole legendary kit for 80 bucks (on sale) was a myth? Character shots sounds like fun, maybe they will finally allow us to drink with shot glasses!

Etaew
05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
“No Tricks, No Traps”

Isn't that exactly what random lockboxes are?

Overtkill21
05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
"Trick Dempsey, creative lead on Defiance, states that the top tier or highly prized loot won’t be available via the cash shop."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Yeah, that $80 Legendary Box waves hi!

N3gativeCr33p
05-01-2014, 09:42 AM
It's that open communication that we were promised...isn't it grand!

Pretty sure Smokey said it best...

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/03/and_you_know_this_man-39482.gif

Etaew
05-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Certainly puzzles me yes.

Iceberg
05-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Isn't that exactly what random lockboxes are?

No no, its part of their more longer fulfilling chase business model.

dramaQkarri
05-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Spinning tales again, TD, LOL! Nice job, revising history and pretending not to notice we noticed.
OK everyone, close your eyes - this also never happened!

dramaQkarri
05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
No no, its part of their more longer fulfilling chase business model.

TD probably should not be doing interviews at all. Seems to put his foot in mouth every time. Unbelievable, galling, lying! It's amazing! Maybe he can sue me for slander, oh WAIT, can't, I'm TELLING THE TRUTH HERE!

Iceberg
05-01-2014, 09:50 AM
TD probably should not be doing interviews at all. Seems to put his foot in mouth every time. Unbelievable, galling, lying! It's amazing! Maybe he can sue me for slander, oh WAIT, can't, I'm TELLING THE TRUTH HERE!

I think I should para phrase something randy pitchford tweeted, along the lines of "it's not lying if the intention was there"

Manstan
05-01-2014, 10:11 AM
"Paradise Patron status" Read as monthly subscribers.

Fun stuff is I was told quite a while back Defiance would never be free to play, goes along with the base game will always be $60. And you wonder why I blow off anything coming from the marketing department.

All I want is the DLCs at a reasonable price, about $5 each. Why should I pay more for something that amounts to giving me the privilege to grind for rep.

Etaew
05-01-2014, 10:19 AM
"Paradise Patron status" Read as monthly subscribers.
Yeah that's exactly what they are.

CM Kiwibird
05-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Me either, went looking for it on devtracker

I've noticed Devtracker is a bit laggy. On the topic of Free-to-Play, I think it will ultimately be a good move for Defiance. I was there for the RIFT Free-to-Play conversion. For reference, here is a link to more information on the conversion. (http://www.defiance.com/en/game/overview/free-to-play/)

Etaew
05-01-2014, 10:30 AM
I've noticed Devtracker is a bit laggy.

Speaking of which, I've just force updated my tracker since it grabs posts immediately.

Manstan
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Ok so what will I be losing?

cary2010haha
05-01-2014, 11:52 AM
sick, they didn't do any actual work to fix those old problem, and lose tons of people, and they still want to sit here and earn more.

Bonehead
05-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Looks like the game will be around for a while yet. That's a good thing. Like has already been said many of us saw this coming for quite a while now. I don't feel cheated by having purchased the game at all. I have gotten far more than my share of enjoyment from it. It stings a bit that we season pass holders had to be the ones who subsidized the transition to f2p with DLC5 but hey, you win some, you loose some.

I've been playing since launch and I'll be playing 'till I don't want to any more.I used to say "'till the last dog dies" but this game might be around longer than I will. This is still the best game of it's kind imho even if it's the only one as well. Truth be told I'll prolly make some bit store purchases from time to time as well. Hopefully I can be the proud owner of an orange EMC-XAR-22.

The first year was something of a roller coaster for sure. Thing about that is you gotta remember to put your hands up in the air and yell when it looks like you're gonna die or it's not as much fun.

Odessa
05-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I agree, Bonehead. Any game that you buy will go down in value to an extent. Just look at the monthly free games on XBox that most have paid full (or close to it) price for. We have received a good deal of perks and will continue to enjoy a game we say grow and evolve.

Manstan
05-01-2014, 12:10 PM
The problem with F2P is it just throws the doors open for every 11 year old that wants to spend their day greifing. I've seen it too often. We have no GMs in game, there is no way to report a player and expect anything to happen anytime soon. And believe me it will get to the point you wont want to put your head set on, it will ether be blasting music, consent profanity, or just vomitus infantile verbaligaes. The chat wont be much different. {of coarse I say that like I have never spouted profanity on the chat when frustrated and agitated}

I'm not saying don't go F2P, I'm saying the game needs to be set up to deal with the consequences of going free to play, which it certainly isn't now.

Oh, and could all of this happen June 28th?

CM Kiwibird
05-01-2014, 12:17 PM
no way to report a player and expect anything to happen anytime soon.

You can actually report people via the in-game ticketing system. (https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1494) I do believe we'll be making that more straightforward in the future as well. I brought that up as a concern before.

Rokea
05-01-2014, 12:25 PM
The whole "11 year olds griefing" argument is moot, I have seen plenty of grown *** adults griefing in defiance since day one, this game is already free to play the fact that people are getting butt hurt over this announcement shows that most people complain just to complain. I feel the Patron system is not a mandatory to use system just like the bit store! I play Rift and have never spent a dime an made it just fine to end game content.

agiantmudcrab
05-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I am very excited.

Bonehead
05-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I am very excited.

You kill me Crab!

Odessa
05-01-2014, 12:51 PM
You can actually report people via the in-game ticketing system. (https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1494) I do believe we'll be making that more straightforward in the future as well. I brought that up as a concern before.

I would LOVE to see a guideline for the types of reporting that is acknowledged, etc... The coop maps can be a pain with people AFKing it. Currently there is no way to kick the player out of the map, so you are down a teammate. On expert mode it's the one thing that can be a complete game changer. For example, we've trudged through 101 on expert with someone who seemed to be sitting at the start line until we asked if he was going to join in. He finally seemed to move forward, only to have him say he'd be back in 30 minutes and have fun dying. We ended up leaving the match after failing Dydekuso because of the enemy spawning inside. I wished I had an avoid option for that guy.

I tend to steer clear of zone/area chat so my bad experiences with that are limited. As it stands you're at the mercy of whomever joins if you don't have a team. It's really the same for the WM. Someone jumps in, sits up top and doesn't contribute or breaks the lock while telling everyone to F off when we say to not break the locks.

Quebra Regra
05-01-2014, 01:03 PM
no farging way I'd pull an EXPERT PUG coop! Can you imagine?

jschmuck33
05-01-2014, 01:11 PM
This pisses me off, I've been very supportive of Trion through this whole debacle. I figured it would eventually go free to play but this is stupid, 30 day patron pass? Part of the reason I love Defiance so much is that it doesn't have the monthly payments that some games have. Sure you don't have to pay for the pass but I'm used to what they are going to be offering in that pass. Honestly I think that anyone who was here at launch should automatically be grandfathered in with a lifetime patron pass, because this is really just a complete slap in the face.

Manstan
05-01-2014, 01:16 PM
The whole "11 year olds griefing" argument is moot, I have seen plenty of grown *** adults griefing in defiance since day one, this game is already free to play the fact that people are getting butt hurt over this announcement shows that most people complain just to complain. I feel the Patron system is not a mandatory to use system just like the bit store! I play Rift and have never spent a dime an made it just fine to end game content.

I never said there was no greifing, what I basically said is you can expect it to go up by the Nth degree.
No, it is not free to play, anyone playing past the trial paid to do it. Some considerable more then others.
No, people complain when they have an issue, you not agreeing with it does not invalidate it.
No one said the patron system was bad. Just a different sort of money vacuum.
You seem proud to be a freeloader.

I'd say 16-22 maybe.

Now, just how much is the land expansion going to cost?
Can we expect to see some major changes in the cost structure; prices, in the store?
Am I ever going to see that all 5 DLCs for $20 sale? Oohhh don't even start, you know it is going to happen. More then likely with in the first month of F2P.

CM Kiwibird honestly I have never felt the need to report someone so I don't know how it works. I do know not having GMs in a F2P game is a bad think, even if it's just for public relations.

Z0mb1E
05-01-2014, 01:46 PM
"You’ll be glad to hear that all Defiance owners (existing badland adventurers such as yourselves) will enjoy more of everything than the greenhorns emerging from dropships and taking their first shaky footsteps in the Bay Area. You’ll continue to enjoy more character slots, loadouts, ark keycode capacity, and inventory slots than free-to-play accounts. For those looking to expand what they already have, we’ll even be offering increases to these limits."

I love this, basically, because you're all so awesome and have been with us since inception we are going to let you KEEP ALL of your loadouts, inventory slots, character slots, and keycode capacity.

Don't tout that like a feature just because the new F2P folks will have less of that, you're not giving us anything, you're simply not taking it away.

Etaew
05-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Don't tout that like a feature just because the new F2P folks will have less of that, you're not giving us anything, you're simply not taking it away.

Yeah it's pretty sad.

N3gativeCr33p
05-01-2014, 02:22 PM
"You’ll be glad to hear that all Defiance owners (existing badland adventurers such as yourselves) will enjoy more of everything than the greenhorns emerging from dropships and taking their first shaky footsteps in the Bay Area. You’ll continue to enjoy more character slots, loadouts, ark keycode capacity, and inventory slots than free-to-play accounts. For those looking to expand what they already have, we’ll even be offering increases to these limits."

I love this, basically, because you're all so awesome and have been with us since inception we are going to let you KEEP ALL of your loadouts, inventory slots, character slots, and keycode capacity.

http://cdn.arwrath.com/9/91378.gif

TwwiX
05-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Good. Now the rest of the gaming community can personally experience just how poorly this game is being handled by Trion.

Elastik Spastik
05-01-2014, 02:34 PM
The good thing i see here is they'll get more players which means more revenue from dlc and bits. Hopefully it goes this way and more money can be spent on making ACTUAL CONTENT for the future dlc.

Etaew
05-01-2014, 02:49 PM
On the brighter side, I am jealous of the new guys. They will experience the game we deserved when it was released.

Manstan
05-01-2014, 03:04 PM
On the brighter side, I am jealous of the new guys. They will experience the game we deserved when it was released.

Has to give that one a head scratch.

Mourneblade
05-01-2014, 03:50 PM
This move to Free to Play was foreseen by much of the community months ago, so it's no real shocker. The problem is that there are veteran players like myself who were early adopters, "daredevils" if you will. I bought the collector's edition and absolutely had a blast with the game until right around DLC 3-4 when it became apparent that the content we were getting felt more like a contractual appeasement rather than a satisfying content addition to the existing game.

Bugs and game breaking issues have persisted for a year, and while I understand many new IPs, especially MMOs, have their growing pains, the disconnect between the players and Defiance management has been the one major problem I've had with the game.

Coming back now, playing the game, it's as if it's a completely different experience, and worse than it was at launch. I've rarely experienced a game that actually seemed to get worse with time and updates, but it's my opinion that this is exactly what has happened with Defiance. My circle of friends and I were once excited to log on and play Defiance for hours on end, even though there wasn't much to do besides world events and repeating of the same instances and story content ad nauseum. I even managed to get my wife on board to play, and that wasn't an easy thing to do. She lacks the hardcore "skill" that some of the players here claim is essential to play post DLC5, and no amount of practice is going to make her a shooting elite.

I typically don't shy away from difficulty in games and typically enjoy challenging content, but simply increasing enemy health and damage by making enemies bullet sponges, moving away from horizontal progression only to replace it with an inferior and obsolete vertical progression system, and essentially alienating more casual players like my wife is a HUGE step backward from the game I bought last April. The move to Free to Play and arbitrary additions of micro-transaction milking is another huge turn-off. For players like myself who have already invested a large amount of money in Defiance, this is a slap in the face.

With Destiny's launch right around the corner, no one should be surprised when console players of Defiance inevitably jump ship. Alienating your prime player base is not going to "blow over" or "get better with time". Trion and Defiance have already created a poor reputation amongst many social gaming circles, and there is virtually nothing but negativity concerning the future of Defiance on almost every social gaming outlet. If that is any indication of where this is headed, things are looking bleak for Defiance and Trion's future endeavors. A shoehorned free-to-play model is not going to avert that fate.

I'm not calling for anyone to give up on the game, but morale is low, and this shift in direction and the abrupt changes to everything that was Defiance is NOT helping to win supporters but for the very vocal, and very small minority of hardcore "elitists".

ArkGuardian_MichaelDial
05-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Defiance going F2P been a talk all over on steam. Many have been waiting for Defiance to be F2P over 3 months now. Maybe they knew about Trion doing so after what they did to Rift? I Don;t kNow. But Defiance going F2P is no surprised to me.

Zealous
05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm not convinced this is for the better. Glad my friend convinced me to go back to this game a couple weeks ago. Just have to do 20 dailies for 7th Legion/Chimera and I'll have all the achievements, and then I can stop playing. I imagine it'll be all downhill from here so I'd rather not be around....

Arsenic_Touch
05-01-2014, 04:31 PM

The purple mod boxes that were only available in game for months also deserves mentioning. Because it's based on a poorly made RNG system, people will argue that it's not pay to win even though it is. Amusing to say the least.

Nailed it.

I'm sorry guys.... which was said while laughing. Haha. I jumped off the ship when it was still floating. I'll swing back around with some life jackets (eso)
Had a guild member who was with CORE during defiance mention it while we were doing veteran rank dungeons. I actually spit my beer out laughing and had to mute myself on teamspeak.

Mourneblade
05-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Well I guess we can get ready for the imminent thread lock. Seems unless people are stroking...ahem...egos or lapping up the detrimental changes, any type of negative opinion on the direction of the game gets swept under the rug.

BJWyler
05-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Let me think on this ... hmmmm .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

Truthfully, it probably can't hurt at this point.

Rokea
05-01-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm not going to lie I play Rift and I jumped on when it went F2P however I do not see this helping Defiance at all. If this game had the content that Rift does I do think I (imo) would really care. I mean Rift has a crap ton of places to explore and different things to do.

Pandur
05-02-2014, 01:57 AM
It's been basically f2p for a while now, well i guess there was a 10$ entry fee.
I'm guessing new f2p players will have to pay 100$ or more to get what the box owners have now and i doubt anything changes for game owners, at least not in the beginning.

The whale hunting and p2w has started a while ago, so the downward spiral is already in full motion and has been for a while.
If anything the announcement only made official what was happening already anyways.

I find it kinda cute that they pull the "Oh we will be fair and paying will not be a requirement to do anything in game".
I mean that even holds true for stuff like Vindictus or Neverwinter, they only fail to mention that you'll be a few hundred miles behind the people that pay though.

Pandur
05-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Oh on a positive site note maybe they'll manage to bring some mentionable content out now. One can hope right ?

Stormchant
05-02-2014, 02:14 AM
agree, a special mobile, an outfit, an title would be nice to reward people who are dedicate to the game.. it will even help them felt good to spend more in the upcoming cash shop XD