PDA

View Full Version : Defiance better with Kinect

Mr666
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
So in the 5 Minute live action trailer I noted at the end something other Xbox gameboxes didn't have and that was better with kinect label was added. Which I love because thanks to that I hate menus/sub-menus or switching items/weapons. So I'm wondering what can be commanded with my voice in Defiance? I hope you guys take notes from Bioware's Mass Effect 3 which allows you to play the game much more streamline thanks to the Kinect.

Aaricane
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
I've never gotten the thrill at speaking to my tv.
Probably the biggest reason i don't like Kinect.

Mr666
01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Probably the biggest reason i don't like Kinect.Dude my dream is being able to wake and command my house with my voice. This is just a little taste of that and I love it. Plus being able to switch you loaded out without open a meun on the fly can be really handy not 120$ or whatever to go get kinect but you have a kinect handy.

rathb18
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Dude my dream is being able to wake and command my house with my voice. This is just a little taste of that and I love it.

You should check out zwave and guile3d. Zwave is home automation hardware were you can control everything with a remote control, and Guile3d is a Personal assistant (it makes Siri look like crap) that allows you to connect your computer with the zwave hardware so you can use voice control.

Edit: Like right now I can control my entire desktop and every program on it like (firefox, XBMC,) and the lights of my bedroom with my voice. I'm planning on someday having a lot more voice control like temp, fridge, microwave just to name a few. Also I have a windows kinect that allows me to control my computer with just my hands.

Aaricane
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Dude my dream is being able to wake and command my house with my voice. This is just a little taste of that and I love it. Plus being able to switch you loaded out without open a meun on the fly can be really handy not 120$ or whatever to go get kinect but you have a kinect handy.Haha i don't think anyone would EVER turn down that level of control!

Mr666
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
You should check out zwave and guile3d. Zwave is home automation har Also I have a windows kinect that allows me to control my computer with just my hands.Ya I wanted to try that but the kinect for Xbox is odd usb so do I have buy another or will it fit into usb also well.

rathb18
01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Ya I wanted to try that but the kinect for Xbox is odd usb so do I have buy another or will it fit into usb also well.

Really? Because I bought a xbox Kinect first just to try it out for a few days and then returned it and it worked fine. Unless I had a newer version of the xbox kinect?

Myll_Erik
01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
We'll get more info to you soon!

Kordesh
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
I've always hated that slogan. Nothing has ever been better with Kinect...

Aaricane
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
I've always hated that slogan. Nothing has ever been better with Kinect...I'm not huge fan of Kinect myself, but there are a few game sit does good for. Tho i can't think of any right off the bat.

Mr666
01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Really? Because I bought a xbox Kinect first just to try it out for a few days and then returned it and it worked fine. Unless I had a newer version of the xbox kinect?I bought it when it first hit the market so if you bought after that maybe.

rathb18
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
I bought it when it first hit the market so if you bought after that maybe.

Yeah I bought it long after it's release, just a month or so before they released the windows version.

Mr666
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
I've always hated that slogan. Nothing has ever been better with Kinect...Mass Effect 3 work so much better with voice and not have to bring up the sub-menu every second while playing on Insanity. I love the first two games but it hard to get back into after having kinect control over the battlefield.

eskimoletdinov
01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Dude my dream is being able to wake and command my house with my voice. This is just a little taste of that and I love it. Plus being able to switch you loaded out without open a meun on the fly can be really handy not 120$ or whatever to go get kinect but you have a kinect handy.

changing weapons with voice was a really good idea but when im having a standard conversation with my son, shotgun readied, about to storm some geth, then one of us inadvertantly says something that somehow resembles the word 'pistol' and i go in and get owned. That is where i decided, maybe voice control isnt quite ready.

dragonlightning
01-31-2013, 12:55 PM
I bought it when it first hit the market so if you bought after that maybe.

If you bought it on its own you should have got an adapter in the box for use with an original xbox, you just need to use that and the plug that came with it.

D351
01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
It'd be nifty if it also used smartglass... looking at stuff about my character or the map on my iphone would be shweet.

rathb18
01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
It'd be nifty if it also used smartglass... looking at stuff about my character or the map on my iphone would be shweet.

They could just make a companion app for that. I know they have done it for a few mmo's that's i've played

D351
01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
They could just make a companion app for that. I know they have done it for a few mmo's that's i've played

That works too. :D

Darth Chaos
01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Kinect works great with Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim I can no longer play those 2 without it.

JustinD92
01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
I watched that video just now and seen what you was talking to me on XBL about. I Wonder..... maybe spawning vehicles by command. Or upgrading attachments by voice. The possibilities. Only Myll_Erik knows XD. I just wish we could be confirmed on the total amount of codes that have been released maybe >.<

snippax
01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Being able to speak and say "cloak" or "decoy" would be brilliant in the game. I definitely loved using voice commands in Skyrim and Mass Effect as well.

rathb18
01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
I watched that video just now and seen what you was talking to me on XBL about. I Wonder..... maybe spawning vehicles by command. Or upgrading attachments by voice. The possibilities. Only Myll_Erik knows XD. I just wish we could be confirmed on the total amount of codes that have been released maybe >.<

Well if you have a PC you will be able to do it. There are a few programs that let you set voice commands for key combo's in games.

D351
02-02-2013, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see some news about this.

SteelPaladin
02-02-2013, 07:03 PM
im old school enough to want to keep my controller until i die. Kinect will lead to total hands free one day though im sure, woe that day, lol.

War Master Degan
02-02-2013, 07:04 PM
im old school enough to want to keep my controller until i die. Kinect will lead to total hands free one day though im sure, woe that day, lol.

It's cool tech but I also never want to let my controller go either.

Kaoslion
02-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I really hope if they enable kinect with it its only voice commands. I think the game is to fast paced for anything else and would be wasted resources of programming for it.

stig010189
03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
using the kinect to change weapons or use powers/ grenade by the time u speak them words i can push the bottoms alot faster . eg on defiance you would prob have to say grenade to throw one witch is slow compared to pressing the rb botton .kinect is only better on some games like mass 3

i dont think the kinect will work on this as you got all bottoms on ur controller

Metzhara
03-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Not every game benefits from Kinect but a few do. The best example of this is "Mass Effect 3", but not for the reasons most would think.
Kinect is about "immersion". There are many non-creative people out there who believe immersion is binding buttons to voice. This simply isn't the case. "Mass Effect 3" works so well because of the dialog options. I played through the previous two installments without the support of Kinect and the story was enjoyable. Playing through the 3rd game and I got so into my options it was ridiculous. "Get the hell off my ship." There is something about saying that with conviction and then nearly punching someone in the face.
While I could go on with the other ways that Kinect enhanced Mass Effect, there are other important things the Kinect can bring in this particular case. Using the kinect to "reload" is not a bright choice, but there are a few who might enjoy it for a few moments. However, if you could quick bind with the voice such as, "Subset 2" (without having to go into the menu to do so) or "Defiance, Options" without having to wait between locations is actually a handy mechanism.
I believe the voice options on Kinect are the greatest when used appropriately. Hand gestures and what not are also important and cool, but I am also in the camp that they should almost never remove controller. There are MANY creative methods for doing this that I have, so I can only assume those who get paid for this level of design could also come up with a few more. Hopefully we'll see their integration, but for now I'll just stick with quick key access for embedded menus.
The beta doesn't seem to have any of this functionality as far as I can tell unless they are including microphone. Of course this would be cheating. -Adam

D351
03-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Kinect features listed under intel in the xbox beta.

Xiiego94
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
I wonder if PS Move will be compatible then...

Ensu
03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
One day your kinnect will say to you; "I see you're having an off day. Would you like me improve your K/D? Here, let me take over."

Xiiego94
03-25-2013, 07:48 PM
One day your kinnect will say to you; "I see you're having an off day. Would you like me improve your K/D? Here, let me take over."hell the moment it starts talking back i'll be in self defense mode.

Donnyrides
03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
does anybody else think that if a game takes voice commands, perhaps the MICROPHONE THAT I'VE HAD SINCE LAUNCH could handle this task??? Why should an entirely different attachment be needed for this when I have a perfectly good head set connected to my head already.

Like in ME3. If you don't have a headset on, can people screw with you by yelling "PISTOL!!" and making your Kinect change your weapon by having their voice come through your TV speakers?

Someday I'm sure I'll get one, but for now, my controller is all I need.

Mcdragon
03-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Probably the biggest reason i don't like Kinect.

that GTO is PURE SEX.

<<<<Import Tuner love power modding cars!
own a 2011 mazdaspeed 3 daily driver and a 2013 WRX STI stage 3 for track. always wanted a gto but man they are just as hard to find as a 1994 Supra

6Strummer
03-29-2013, 04:05 PM
does anybody else think that if a game takes voice commands, perhaps the MICROPHONE THAT I'VE HAD SINCE LAUNCH could handle this task???

Of course it could. There have been voice command games since well before Kinect.

Dodece
03-29-2013, 04:15 PM
The Kinect actually employs voice recognition, and facial recognition software. If you want to prevent hijacking by others in the area it is easy to lock the system into only accepting input from the player. You can even use the device as a form of user verification. Anyway it isn't a problem if you follow the instructions in the prompts that the system gives you from time to time.

I think this game could be better with Kinect granted that the peripherals capabilities are put to good use. Most people get fixated on the wire frame mapping, or the voice controls. When the aspect that actually has the most real potential is the gesture based controls. They basically allow for quick access to a suite of buttons that may not be able to fit on the controller itself. You could use the hand tracking to create hot buttons that couldn't be accommodated in the basic design of the game.

I mean think about it this way making a clockwise motion with the controller could be used to switch weapon sets. While moving it up and down twice real fast could bring up specific menus. Instead of having to go with the default setup. There is a lot of stuff can be done intuitively.