PDA

View Full Version : Is class REALLY not important?

NewbieKenobi
05-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm new to Defiance and everywhere I read says class choice at character creation is unimportant.
But is it? Really? Several sources claims that it only effect your starting gear and weapons. A Veteran has an Assult rifle, Machinist has an LMG and so on...
But then I read about Sypply Crates. It says that a Machinist Supply Crat is limited to give Detonators, LMG etc while a Veteran Supply Crate only gives Assult Rifles and SMGs. And the Gear in the Crate is the same as the crate; a Veteran Supply Crate gives Veteran gear and so on...

Also, I don't know how these Supply Crates are aquired. From the Sypply Box? Random loot/drops? Rewards?
Because if they are rewards or anyting and you don't get to choose wich crate to get and you have built a sniper rifle wielding Outlaw, you would only recieve Shotguns in the crate to no use for you personal preference...

I know all classes can use all weapons, but can all classes wear all gear? Because then I wonder why the game even has a class choice at all... Why chose a class when it does not matter? It does not make sense to me at all :)

Is there really NO difference at ALL depending on class choice. Because my character screen says Machinist. Why just not say Ark Hunter? Or nothing at all?

3rdpig
05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Class is completely and totally without the slightest shred of significance or importance.

If you're looking for someone to make sense out of that for you, I can't help you and I doubt anyone else can either, although you might get a lot of BS excuses.

TheOz
05-08-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm new to Defiance and everywhere I read says class choice at character creation is unimportant.
But is it? Really? Several sources claims that it only effect your starting gear and weapons. A Veteran has an Assult rifle, Machinist has an LMG and so on...
But then I read about Sypply Crates. It says that a Machinist Supply Crat is limited to give Detonators, LMG etc while a Veteran Supply Crate only gives Assult Rifles and SMGs. And the Gear in the Crate is the same as the crate; a Veteran Supply Crate gives Veteran gear and so on...

Also, I don't know how these Supply Crates are aquired. From the Sypply Box? Random loot/drops? Rewards?
Because if they are rewards or anyting and you don't get to choose wich crate to get and you have built a sniper rifle wielding Outlaw, you would only recieve Shotguns in the crate to no use for you personal preference...

I know all classes can use all weapons, but can all classes wear all gear? Because then I wonder why the game even has a class choice at all... Why chose a class when it does not matter? It does not make sense to me at all :)

Is there really NO difference at ALL depending on class choice. Because my character screen says Machinist. Why just not say Ark Hunter? Or nothing at all?

Starting classes only determine your starting weapon and one class specific outfit.
Your perk loadout and to a lesser extent, ego power does a better job of defining "classes" in Defiance. There are no traditional classes in Defiance.

As for the Machinist & Veteran supply crates, I have never heard of them. My guess is they are only purchasable in the Bit/cash store. I never go into the Bit store.

GodKingMoloch
05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
For 5 minutes in training area.

Quebra Regra
05-08-2014, 03:30 PM

the most important thing to me is the starting OUTFIT... You can only get one of the starting outfits based on the "class" selected, where as you can always pickup different weapons later. Choose wisely.

BTW, I'd steer away from the MALE SURVIVALIST, as you'll see a lot of this outfit in-game anyway ;)

Arsenic_Touch
05-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Those "class" kits are bought from the bits store for real money. They may share the same name but have nothing to do with the starting outfit. Just like the loadout synergies that have the same name as the outfits, they have nothing to do with them.

And the most simple answer to why it is that way, because grenades. The translation is "No one knows"

Deirachel
05-08-2014, 04:04 PM

These are special lockboxes only available via the Bit Store. Outside of the store you will NEVER, EVER see them. Basically, it's a way to try to reduce the complaints some people have about purchased lockboxes being too random and to increase revenue at the same time. Lots of folks complain when they buy with real money a lockbox that can give them ANYTHING in the game weapon/sheild-wise. So, each of these lockboxes give a much more narrow choice for those who still want to purchase a lockbox, but don't want the grab-bag to have as much in it to grab from.

Yes, all classes can wear all gear. The only exception is the starting class outfit. If you are a Machinist, you will not get a Veteran's starting outfit later (but you probably will see a reskin or ten of it later...).

As for why we have these choices? Why not!? How else would you know your character's backstory, or pick your outfit, or your starting gun? :rolleyes: I've to my personal theory about it. (I think the original concept had a reason for the choice, but it got cut due to time/budget...)

NewbieKenobi
05-08-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it!

I'm not any wiser, I still don't get why things are as they are but hey...

I'll just keep on playing then with my Soldier Outfitted reskinned Machinist then :)

Elastik Spastik
05-09-2014, 04:44 AM
All depends on how you outfit your loadouts. I have 5 loadouts (still waiting to unlock 6th one) and each one has a specific class, i.e. sniper, heavy, cqb etc. As an example my heavy is specifically outfitted for the big things like volge. I use all loadouts and they all have their own weapons, consumables and perks to suit their needs, and instead of trying to change a weapon or perk i can just change class to suit the situation at the time.

Manstan
05-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it!

I'm not any wiser, I still don't get why things are as they are but hey...

I'll just keep on playing then with my Soldier Outfitted reskinned Machinist then :)

You don't get it because there is nothing to get, really. Trion decided to make Defiance a classless game; and it certainly lacks any.
You can set up your character to fill a role in a group, but there is no role playing or classes.

I think that is what puts some people off the game, they just don't know how to play a game that is open ended, where class and roles aren't used to define your character. You define your character and what I use the loadouts for.

I have my lead character the Tank with closeup heavy damage auto weapons.

My lawkeeper with a double tap sniper rifle and A hand cannon magnum; with deadly accuracy lol

My medic with the subcarbine and a "cure the crowd" BMG; I think it links to like 18 people and has an excellent distance. For BMGs recharge time, heal duration, link and distance are what I go for, damage I don't worry with. BMG is just a group shield recharger for me.

And so on. Using perks to define the roles, as in my medics perks revolve around reviving other players. My lawkeeper is a sniper so her perks are set up accordingly, and so on.

It really is up to you to define your characters class/role, but the game does not force class restrictions on you. One of the games high points.

Etaew
05-09-2014, 06:31 AM
It really is up to you to define your characters class/role, but the game does not force class restrictions on you. One of the games high points.

Or low points, I like freedom but they had the same problem with Rift, and they ended up putting in class presets. Defiance could do with such a system too, pre-built loadouts for those that don't want to spend tons of time customising.

Manstan
05-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Or low points, I like freedom but they had the same problem with Rift, and they ended up putting in class presets. Defiance could do with such a system too, pre-built loadouts for those that don't want to spend tons of time customizing.

Well I might argue with you whether it's a high or low point, but I agree about prebuilt loadouts. Even a list of what perks work best for roles with in a squad would be nice.

I've just played too many games for too long that had class/role restrictions. I find them a bit too confining any more.