PDA

View Full Version : Interesting (well to me) Experiment that I tried.

Chocolatelover67
05-12-2014, 12:56 AM
OK this was a rather interesting little experiment I tried. I was in a Volge incursion at Tower Quarry and came out of the area onto the road. At the first corner there was a Volge roadblock event so I drove past and no problem but further up the road there was another Volge event on the road so I stopped a little off to the side on the road so I could make a mad dash and took pot shots at them.

Sure enough they did the run thing and came at me so hopped into my car and drove off and they were still in the mini map. Drove till they just vanished.

I hoped out of the car and then using my sniper rifle I could just see the trucks on the road but not the volge so took another couple of pot shots from that distance and then waited and sure enough they slowly crept into the view of the minimap at it's furthest border... I waited and they kept getting closer. When they were close enough I bolted again.

This time I drove a fair distance away and then waited, doubled back until I could just make out the trucks again in my scope but this time I didn't have to do any shooting. As I drove closer to that the flapping Volge started to appear as if they were waiting near that point were they were at the edge of my minimap.

I find this rather interesting and would love to know what the AI is programmed to do......

The Volge seem to be the only ones that do this kind of behaviour from a distance.

Critical Errors
05-12-2014, 05:03 AM
That's an intended function of AI. Hellbugs, Raiders, even the Hulker will follow you around for quite a bit. Stop teasing the poor guys and kill them already!

Chocolatelover67
05-12-2014, 05:16 AM
That's an intended function of AI. Hellbugs, Raiders, even the Hulker will follow you around for quite a bit. Stop teasing the poor guys and kill them already!

But it's fun to tease them.......... The Volge seem to have the longest arc to chase... I found it a very interesting experiment. I had to travel quite far to totally ditch them. They seem to remember where you last were and hang out there and that's the only way I think my return trip had got them back so fast. I should have waited longer at the Crater...

What would be fun would be to get a group together and try to drag enemies across the whole map...

Also why do events always happen outside Iron Demon Ranch but not say The Crater or Muir Processing, or even at Bloodbath Gorge. Why is this?

Bentu
05-12-2014, 05:18 AM
There does seem to be some kind of programme (not that I know anything about it) where they go for who shoots at them first or who is doing the greatest dmg to them.
Tankers do the same thing, I've taken a pot shot at one which was across the map at an arkfall and the bugger has made a B line for me ignoring everyone else around.

Chocolatelover67
05-12-2014, 05:20 AM
There does seem to be some kind of programme (not that I know anything about it) where they go for who shoots at them first or who is doing the greatest dmg to them.
Tankers do the same thing, I've taken a pot shot at one which was across the map at an arkfall and the bugger has made a B line for me ignoring everyone else around.

How far away were you though?

What amazes me is the huge distance some of these guys will travel if you pot shot them....... I think it's some kind of damage counter.

drackiller
05-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Once i tried something of the kind in a Volge siege at BathHouse. I went to the top of BathHouse on the opposite sea side, and while is was shooting them up down, after a while they were coming chasing me, from down the bottom to the top of thehill.
Quite clever IA indeed.

Manstan
05-12-2014, 06:19 AM
I think it's fun, I pulled volgue to a roadside emergency where raiders were fighting the infected. Then parked on a hill and watched lol

Nightmare Walkin
05-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Sounds like when I fell into a killer bee nest in Panama back in 1999. They chase you for miles. They will wait for you to come back as well. ....teach you to drop your canteen and come back for it.

Chocolatelover67
05-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Sounds like when I fell into a killer bee nest in Panama back in 1999. They chase you for miles. They will wait for you to come back as well. ....teach you to drop your canteen and come back for it.

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

Nightmare Walkin
05-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the only time I ever talked back to my CO. I was the point man, in the point team, in the point squad, in the point platoon, in the company. In layman's terms....I was in the front of a few hundred other Marines. I stepped over a fallen log and got tangled in some vines and fell on top of a massive nest. I ran through the other guys.....the Captain told me to get back on point.....I said F u sir and continued running. It didn't take long for all three hundred plus Marines to follow behind me. I ran instantly so I didn't get the worst of it. The f'n bees waited for us to come back. Yay! Then I got to swim across the biggest hammerhead breading ground in the world where Jac cousto's son died . They were busy reproducing most likely but the story(could've been just that..never fact checked it)scared us all the same. Anything that was left behind including canteens, wpn magazines, and some idiots ar had bee sentries waiting on our return. They are smart enough to know if something foreign to their environment is there and will post up. Hope this was not too much of a thread derail. Kind of the same

Chocolatelover67
05-12-2014, 05:59 PM
This was the only time I ever talked back to my CO. I was the point man, in the point team, in the point squad, in the point platoon, in the company. In layman's terms....I was in the front of a few hundred other Marines. I stepped over a fallen log and got tangled in some vines and fell on top of a massive nest. I ran through the other guys.....the Captain told me to get back on point.....I said F u sir and continued running. It didn't take long for all three hundred plus Marines to follow behind me. I ran instantly so I didn't get the worst of it. The f'n bees waited for us to come back. Yay! Then I got to swim across the biggest hammerhead breading ground in the world where Jac cousto's son died . They were busy reproducing most likely but the story(could've been just that..never fact checked it)scared us all the same. Anything that was left behind including canteens, wpn magazines, and some idiots ar had bee sentries waiting on our return. They are smart enough to know if something foreign to their environment is there and will post up. Hope this was not too much of a thread derail. Kind of the same

Oh no it's fascinating.

People discount their intelligence because they are bees but that is not the case.

Behaviour like this goes beyond just "acting on instinct."

Did you ever get all your gear back?

Bentu
05-12-2014, 08:12 PM

Damn I'm laughing so hard right now, the thought of 300 burly Marines running through the bush being chased by a swarm of bees, I like the way you ran through your mates while trying to through the bees off your scent.

Would also like to know if the CO stood his ground or over took you lol