PDA

View Full Version : Death And Dying...... How so?

Chocolatelover67
05-18-2014, 08:05 PM
I don't get this part of the game lore...

In terms of story I don't get this. How is it that we get shot X number of times and then we are crawling on the floor like worms till we either revived, are healed by another player, or extract to wherever the game thinks we should go to. Are the Ark Hunters semi immortal because of the EGO implants?

Deunan
05-18-2014, 08:50 PM
I often avoid using the term death and use downed instead. I think of it as if your health is depleted then your downed but not dead. If you observe the self revive animation, an Ark Hunter is activating some sort of resuscitation device located on their chest when they are downed.

Chocolatelover67
05-18-2014, 08:57 PM
I often avoid using the term death and use downed instead. I think of it as if your health is depleted then your downed but not dead. If you observe the self revive animation, an Ark Hunter is activating some sort of resuscitation device located on their chest when they are downed.

I noticed that. But the device must also heal all their injuries in an instant

Tsort
05-19-2014, 03:24 AM
I guess it's just a case of "we couldn't come up with any better idea". It would be kinda clunky to have a medtech buggy stopping by with three EMTs picking you up everytime you "extract".

drackiller
05-19-2014, 03:55 AM
It`s a game, don`t try to overthink it.

Thearl
05-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Yep. If a tribble and some chewing gum can stop a warp core breach, then surely a shot to heck arkhunter can stand back up after giving themselves a purple nurple.

Chocolatelover67
05-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Yep. If a tribble and some chewing gum can stop a warp core breach, then surely a shot to heck arkhunter can stand back up after giving themselves a purple nurple.

OMG why yes ideed? :)

When did they use a tribble to stop a warp core breach?

Yrkul
05-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Doesn't EGO say something about reassembly the first time you "die"?

If so, the great dilemma becomes: Are you really you? Or are you just a copy, and the real you stopped existing?

Same problem with the concept of disassembly-reassembly teleportation. Hmmm...

When did they use a tribble to stop a warp core breach?
See, NOW I'm curious! :D

Hopeisdead
05-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Well it would be kinda silly if the game had perma-death.

@Yrkul
That is interesting question however easily answered, if we had computers able to hold all the information in our brain and transporting it to another brain the person you would be transferred to will be effectively you. As we are just an collection of our memories anyway. /personality wise//

Yrkul
05-19-2014, 09:36 AM
@Yrkul
That is interesting question however easily answered, if we had computers able to hold all the information in our brain and transporting it to another brain the person you would be transferred to will be effectively you. As we are just an collection of our memories anyway. /personality wise//
Ah. To the world outside, it would be you. But to you, it would mean death, if the existence of you would end in the process. It depends on our perception of self.

Let me warn you. I've had this discussion with transhumanist scholars before. :D

Hopeisdead
05-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Ah. To the world outside, it would be you. But to you, it would mean death, if the existence of you would end in the process. It depends on our perception of self.

Let me warn you. I've had this discussion with transhumanist scholars before. :D

Well if the transfer would be possible, death will effectively lose its original meaning to us. The flesh would die but it would not mean anything particularly interesting.

Yrkul
05-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Well if the transfer would be possible, death will effectively lose its original meaning to us. The flesh would die but it would not mean anything particularly interesting.
Then we are talking about the transfer of conciousness, and not only the transfer of memory, which is an even dicier concept. The best solution to the whole immortality conundrum I've read, is the concept of "multiples" used by Peter F. Hamilton, first in his Night's Dawn trilogy, and again in the Void trilogy, where a single conciousness occupies multiple bodies. Otherwise, we're reduced to doing brain transplants, and even there, there are complications/limitations.

In any case, the whole respawn mechanic has a hard time being justifiable outside an MMO context. In Defiance, it is made possible by endogene nano-magics, like more and more things in this game, and doesn't really hold up to much scrutiny.

Atticus Batman
05-19-2014, 03:04 PM
We have a defribrilator attached to our suits that we can only use while it's charged! As for when we extract...........it's so you don't see us wrapping ourselves with ducktape!

http://thecircular.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Duct-tape-bandage.jpg

Or having friends help usa with it!

http://faq.fursuit.org/_media/construction/patterns/duct_tape_dummies/dscn3731.jpg