PDA

View Full Version : Extremely slow patcher.exe startup and response



Necron007
04-03-2013, 03:27 AM
I have an issue where it takes me between 1 to 2 minutes before the patcher.exe will even display the dialog box to log in. When it finally does come up it is sluggish to respond, button animations seem to require a reload of the entire screen. My system certainly isn't shabby and is better than my one at work. Today I tried it on my work one and the patcher screen came up almost immediately, the same as it does on my brothers computer. I cannot work out why the patcher acts the way it does on my machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

EvilBunny
04-03-2013, 03:32 AM
What you running?

64x 32x can depend. Sounds like a frame rate drop or spike in proccesses that your pc can't get over for some reason.

Hulker69
04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Same here. The patcher runs like treacle with each UI button press taking like 10-20 secs to respond. Along with the ******* awful download rate of the client this is real decline!

Whats your graphics card?

Hulker69
04-03-2013, 02:19 PM
After a bit of watching the patcher.exe thread using process explorer I tried this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/delete-calibrated-display-profile-to-increase-speed-of-windows-7-photo-viewer/

and it seems to have worked! Must be something to do with the way the patcher is rendering the UI to the desktop.

Hope this helps ...

Katah
04-03-2013, 04:23 PM
After a bit of watching the patcher.exe thread using process explorer I tried this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/delete-calibrated-display-profile-to-increase-speed-of-windows-7-photo-viewer/

and it seems to have worked! Must be something to do with the way the patcher is rendering the UI to the desktop.

Hope this helps ...


Excellent! Could not for the life of me figure out what was going on. Works great now. Just a suggestion though - be sure to back up the .icc file before deleting. You just never know.

Necron007
04-04-2013, 06:17 AM
After a bit of watching the patcher.exe thread using process explorer I tried this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/delete-calibrated-display-profile-to-increase-speed-of-windows-7-photo-viewer/

and it seems to have worked! Must be something to do with the way the patcher is rendering the UI to the desktop.

Hope this helps ...

Wow, this sucks. Seems to be a great solution, but the file they say to delete just doesn't exist on my computer, not even variations on the name.

Mike JezZ
04-04-2013, 06:18 AM
After a bit of watching the patcher.exe thread using process explorer I tried this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/delete-calibrated-display-profile-to-increase-speed-of-windows-7-photo-viewer/

and it seems to have worked! Must be something to do with the way the patcher is rendering the UI to the desktop.

Hope this helps ...

How the hell did people find this solution?

Hulker69
04-04-2013, 07:33 AM
How the hell did people find this solution?

I use Process Explorer from Sysinternals to view the modules being used when the patcher.exe app is running and noticed the CalibratedDisplayProfile-23.icc file pop up just before the UI rendered for the first time. Quick goggle for info on issues with this CalibratedDisplayProfile icc file and the site I provided showed up. I do a lot of this sort of thing when trying to get my own software working as well ...

Started
04-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Same here. The patcher runs like treacle with each UI button press taking like 10-20 secs to respond. Along with the ******* awful download rate of the client this is real decline!

Whats your graphics card?
I solved the download problem on my machine by just pausing and restarting the download till I got my normal speed of like 2.2 mbps. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesnt, wish u best of luck tho

Hulker69
04-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Wow, this sucks. Seems to be a great solution, but the file they say to delete just doesn't exist on my computer, not even variations on the name.

Maybe try doing what I did using the Sysinternals Process Explorer app to see if there is something running and using up your CPU cycles that possibly shouldn't be. Mine showed around 25% CPU usage as the UI was being launched (which was most definitely bogus) and needed some investigation. Sometimes you just have to get lucky when checking stuff like this, I was in this case, maybe you will be.

Hulker69
04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
I solved the download problem on my machine by just pausing and restarting the download till I got my normal speed of like 2.2 mbps. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesnt, wish u best of luck tho

I finally got the client initially dl'd after 8 hours, the last patch though only took about 10 seconds ;)