PDA

View Full Version : Hey I play on the PS3

Makonus
05-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

I play using my PS3 and don't have teamspeak. I generally just ignore the chat screen because there is too much shop talk on it and I'm too new at the game to have the scrip or the weapon experience for the items auctioned anyways. I just want to let you know that if you run into me and help, I'm already saying thanks. :o

On a side note, I did a PvP match today and my team were very rude to the opposing teams females. The usual b***** was used and expected, but the line "Ha that's what you get for being a woman"...was uncalled for. Sadly still see trolls that think women can't play games...I myself take it for granted that the other player....is probably a woman. Anyways take a chill pill on it...this isn't WoW. :cool:

yue
05-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Well it wasn't me but if it makes you feel any better uuuummmm we probably would say the same about you if you were on the other team ...... Just saying

belindashort
05-26-2014, 09:30 PM
That's pretty juvenile. I usually get the feeling that anyone who feels like they need to insult someone based on gender* is just overcompensating for a lack somewhere else. Not everyone was raised with manners, I guess. I met some nice guys today who even joked about not cursing around a 'lady'.

I guess the point is that if someone has to reach into the low pocket of gender specific insults (as if being a particular gender is somehow below another) then you just have to consider the source, make a note and ignore that person, cause they aren't worth your time.

*Or really anything that isn't warranted, and is unchangeable, really not sure why anyone needs to insult anyone in a game that is supposed to be fun anyway.

Then again I work somewhere that people email me and complain that "someone named 'peckerhead2' called them a 'c word'"- actual email I received. Its like grammar school.

Makonus
05-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Exactly my point belinda...thank you. This is a fun game and the player base is pretty fun. Yue.....as I said I am a guy....so it would be awkward if you called me a woman. That being said....there is no point degrading someone due to their gender. I don't care about swearing tbh...I hold to the if you don't want to be cussed at, don't cuss or go into PvP mentality. I don't cuss AT my girlfriend I cuss WITH her...there is a difference. There is a difference between friendly and good natured banter and just being a prick. Treat women/men fairly and you're more likely to end up with them. Thank you all for your help with the mobs and have a great night/day!

drackiller
05-27-2014, 01:03 AM
OH man...this is indeed a new age.

Please save us, anyone.

belindashort
05-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Been playing MMO's for 15+ years and rarely run across the mentality that its okay to use baseless insults. If something has changed that has made it somehow acceptable, that's not a good thing.

drackiller
05-27-2014, 02:02 AM
Been playing MMO's for 15+ years and rarely run across the mentality that its okay to use baseless insults. If something has changed that has made it somehow acceptable, that's not a good thing.

No, it`s not ok and also not acceptable.

Pandur
05-27-2014, 02:06 AM

Nah it's not ok but in these 15 years mainstream happened, and with more people comes more trash.
And trash doesn't usually care if it's ok to lie around where it does.

Maida
05-27-2014, 02:16 AM
I avoid the zone chat because it's nothing but gay slurs and derogatory comments about women.
I've done some research into women and online gaming for grad school and its sad to say but defiance is pretty tame compared to what I've seen. At least I haven't seen r@pe threats or death threats just because a female won a PVP match. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it happens in private chats.

I made it through boot camp and nine years in the Navy, so I'm not thin skinned by any means.
It doesn't mean I want to put up with it in my spare time. I'm happy that my clan polices itself and if someone gets out of hand they get the boot.

belindashort
05-27-2014, 02:24 AM
I work in the adult industry, so I definitely am not thin skinned, but I also don't want to spend my leisure time that kind of behavior. :)

Makonus
05-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Well some people are ok with cursing (although I don't approve calling women b****, and guys....don't call a woman a c***, ever. That's like saying "I hope you don't mind but I prefer to die today."...they will happily oblige you. But I worked in the maintenance field, we don't curse a lot but when we do, it's a lot. I've run a 5x rivet gun against my hand, better believe I swore. My partner was a woman and swore enough to make a sailor blush. I personally go to games to fight stuff and let off steam so that I don't take unnecessary frustration out on my friends. They didn't cause me to be mad, they shouldn't get the brunt of it. That being said, games shouldn't cause you to become a prick...you should be the same prick you are off the computer screen. If you don't think it's cool to say the things you say offline, don't say them online....I mean at work I am known as the nicest a**hole you will ever meet. I am a very crass individual and I have grown up to not curse at people...much. I used to swear a lot, but it is best served tactfully. If you don't know the difference between an "Damn f*cker you got me, I'll get you this time." and..."You f****p.o.s. I'll get you for that" you're too thin skinned. I've played a lot of MMO's since '97 and prefer PvP and PK games. This is a nice alternative on the PS3 to Borderlands same concept really but now....more people can play! This is a lot more active community than I thought it would be, it's pretty cool to run across a game with an active playerbase and forum base.

konstantinov
05-27-2014, 11:26 AM
If you don't want to see it, go to settings -> chat -> profanity filter -> ON.

No point in complaining about something you can fix.

belindashort
05-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't care about cursing, really. I'm 35, I've heard it all. It not really the issue as much as insults/trolling/name-calling/etc.

Mia Faith
05-27-2014, 01:24 PM
I play on PS3 to. add me if you want if see me playing