PDA

View Full Version : OK Letís try this againÖ

dramaQkarri
05-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Let me try to make this post less about ďmeĒ me me me me me me me me me me.

Less of the me meme, more of the we meme.

Letís focus on player etiquette. Itís about maturity and manners. I can be as hot-tempered as anyone, probably a lot more than most folks. I think Iíve made it clear Iím willing to wade knee-deep into a stupid argument.

Being a middle-aged gamer, when I see bad manners from time to time in-game (unfortunately thereís a WHOLE LOT more of it there than on the forums, surprise surprise), it offends me on different level. I see something lacking there. Iíve seen the BS before IRL. All I can think is, ďgeez, we can do betterĒ.

Itís up to us to do things right in there. Defiance has programming and stability issues, and we all get frustrated. Itís really easy to take it out on each other, dividing ourselves into groups, ďus vs. themĒ. Human nature has always leaned in that direction. So we can give in to it, or we can try to evolve past it.

Sure, we get mad about stuff. A trade doesnít work out, seller has a beef. A player doesnít ďpull their weightĒ in a co-op. A million understandable arguments, I get it.

My big beef is with the random bullying stuff. Letís try to do a few things right. Donít give in to baser urges and start random crap. On the other hand, donít be a pushover. If someone is crappy, stand up to them. If youíre crappy, catch yourself. Nothing the other players can do to stop you, true. But do you want to be thought of as crappy? Some do, or do not care, no doubt. But I have faith that the humanity we all have can win out most of the time. No QQ in Defiance.

As for Trion? Well, you can do better too. Show me. You can start by fixing my missing 10 ego points so I can unlock that last perk.

DANG it! See, I canít make it not about me.

Well, it is my post, after all.

Market
05-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Honestly, this is most of the reason I haven't been really trying to rebuild our clan on the PC. We had 250 people on the XBox and almost all of them were awesome people. The few occasions I had someone get out of hand, it was solved quickly and painlessly and I never had to boot anyone. I'm reluctant to add to our ranks because finding people who won't get wrapped up in the drama (no pun intended, I swear!) is very, very difficult.

As many people can attest to, real life has more than enough of the behavior you've described and I'm just not interested in that kind of junk in a game. Especially since most of us play games like this to relax and get away from the powshtako that occurs in the real world.

I try to ignore it as best as I can, mostly because getting riled up is exactly what they want out of their targets. A wise man once told me "There's no point in arguing with pigs."

dramaQkarri
05-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Yeah. This weekend there seemed to be even more than the usual wank-ness. Zone chat was a wall of immature text annoyance most of the time. Seems PS3 has a player that cannot stop broadcasting their life details non-stop. A lot of inappropriateness in general. Had no choice but to turn off my chat tab.

As far as the rudenss part, actually spoke to my provoker (or provokee) in game last night, and all is good now. Of course, I can't hold a grudge...I just want us to all get along!

N3gativeCr33p
05-27-2014, 07:12 AM
A wise man once told me "There's no point in arguing with pigs."

And a wise man once told me: "Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience." LOL

Didn't see anything hateful this weekend, because I was busy doing work in our yard and I had to help my brother shingle the roof of his shed. No gaming for me this weekend. Sadface.

Lenny732
05-27-2014, 07:27 AM
I know EXACTLY who your talking about DQ i'd mention my bellybutton but that person would turn it into some sick nasty thing an ruin the whole light hearted try to make everyone have a good time feel. I tend to just read and marvel at the loneliness this person elaborates into zone chat. And their accomplish. ughhhh We need segregated zone chat like 5k+ ego players can only speak in this one.

dramaQkarri
05-27-2014, 07:31 AM
I know EXACTLY who your talking about DQ i'd mention my bellybutton but that person would turn it into some sick nasty thing an ruin the whole light hearted try to make everyone have a good time feel. I tend to just read and marvel at the loneliness this person elaborates into zone chat. And their accomplish. ughhhh We need segregated zone chat like 5k+ ego players can only speak in this one.

LOL yeah it's basically...I don't even know. I always feel like I need to wash off when I their comments. Yech. I've been alone for years at a time, never got that lonely at all. Of course I can't stand people though.

Although, I have less of an issue with that crap than I do with the aggressive mean stuff. I can ignore pathetic easier.

Lenny732
05-27-2014, 07:37 AM
I know I and anyone else can just hit ignore and that's that but I and those others shouldn't have to. I wanna see the zone chat for trades and what not. We could just possible get a trade chat channel for the near future so people can do whatever they want in zone chat.

Pandur
05-27-2014, 07:41 AM

Actually I'd settle for a permanent ignore function.

dramaQkarri
05-27-2014, 07:54 AM
I love how they say "you can mute me" but DANG IT no I can't. I can't mute a particular person's type chat, that only works on voice chat. I can only mute the entire channel which means I become a recluse.

Lenny732
05-27-2014, 07:58 AM
I love how they say "you can mute me" but DANG IT no I can't. I can't mute a particular person's type chat, that only works on voice chat. I can only mute the entire channel which means I become a recluse.

If your in the same phase as someone in zone chat being obscure. You can go to social settings and go to the chat settings find the person in zone chat and hit the mute and their messages wont appear inzone chat untill you log off and rinse and repeat.

I agree with Pandur a perma ignore would be fantastic, I have people on my ignore psn list and i still see their text in zone chat.

dramaQkarri
05-27-2014, 08:17 AM
If your in the same phase as someone in zone chat being obscure. You can go to social settings and go to the chat settings find the person in zone chat and hit the mute and their messages wont appear inzone chat untill you log off and rinse and repeat.

I agree with Pandur a perma ignore would be fantastic, I have people on my ignore psn list and i still see their text in zone chat.

Ah, I've only tried it once and it didn't work. Likely I did it wrong or didn't really look until after DC and restart. Which is goofy too, that we have to keep re-ignoring a list of crazy people.

Agree, PERMA-ignore please...

Market
05-27-2014, 08:26 AM
Oddly, it has worked that way for me on the XBox since release. I'm not sure about now, things may have changed since I was last on the console, but I know the PC resets itself once you log out.

I even went as far as to start this up in the Bugs section. It's in the PC section, but at least it's a start!

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?160692-Permanent-ignore-function-necessary

ConcreteSnake
05-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Xbox NA zone chat is terrible right now, just a bunch of immature people bullying and putting others down. You could say 5 words and a troll will jump out to put in his 2 scrip. I've actually just been reporting a lot of people lately. I ask nicely for them to stop 5 times and then I can't take anymore. I've received an infraction for zone chat behavior so I'm hoping some of these people wake up before f2p starts.......what am I saying its only going to get worse. Its hard to see the zone chat devolve into what it is now. I remember this game being fun and a cool community who mostly got along...what happened?

3rdpig
05-27-2014, 09:51 AM
No offense to all the reasonable and mature console players, but my one and only foray into online games with a console had me quitting after a month with the belief that half the players were mentally damaged children who's parents are using the console as a baby sitter, and the other half are the previous generation of identical children grown up and either inebriated, stoned or both.

It sent me running back to the PC as a gaming machine and I haven't left since. It's not like I can't handle the stupidity, but it detracted from my enjoyment of the game and had my blood pressure at a dramaQkarri level. I've got a friend who plays Defiance on the Xbox, and he's confirmed to me that my decision to stay off it for online games was the right move, at least for me. I'm not saying the PC community doesn't have their own idiots and griefers, but its a lot, lot less.

dramaQkarri
05-27-2014, 09:56 AM
No offense to all the reasonable and mature console players, but my one and only foray into online games with a console had me quitting after a month with the belief that half the players were mentally damaged children who's parents are using the console as a baby sitter, and the other half are the previous generation of identical children grown up and either inebriated, stoned or both.

It sent me running back to the PC as a gaming machine and I haven't left since. It's not like I can't handle the stupidity, but it detracted from my enjoyment of the game and had my blood pressure at a dramaQkarri level. I've got a friend who plays Defiance on the Xbox, and he's confirmed to me that my decision to stay off it for online games was the right move, at least for me. I'm not saying the PC community doesn't have their own idiots and griefers, but its a lot, lot less.

Bwahahahahaha hilarious! I'm flattered. Honestly my blood pressure is fine. Thanks for your concern. It's good to know my posts are fierce enough to have you thinking I'm all hulked out though.

As far as the rest - likely just because PC's are more expensive there's not the little kid babysitter thing happening. Mom is on the PC, kid is on the Xbox/PS3. For now anyway. If the price point starts dropping, watch out.

dramaQkarri
05-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Xbox NA zone chat is terrible right now, just a bunch of immature people bullying and putting others down. You could say 5 words and a troll will jump out to put in his 2 scrip. I've actually just been reporting a lot of people lately. I ask nicely for them to stop 5 times and then I can't take anymore. I've received an infraction for zone chat behavior so I'm hoping some of these people wake up before f2p starts.......what am I saying its only going to get worse. Its hard to see the zone chat devolve into what it is now. I remember this game being fun and a cool community who mostly got along...what happened?

I'm glad I'm not the only one reporting players. There are 2 players I reported this weekend. One is this hyper-aggressive antagonistic a-hole who's been a nuisance and more in zone chat for months. I've reported him before. The other is Lenny's friend the sleazebag - explicit X rated talk that very few people are comfortable with.

Kidding - LENNY IS NOT FRIENDS WITH THE SLEAZEBAG! But I just had to say it.

I know that zone chat text is on file somewhere and could be reviewed. So why these two unfortunate souls are still allowed to have a game account tells me one of two things: The Company is ignoring it, or these two are well-funded and, well, we don't bite the hand that feeds now do we?