PDA

View Full Version : This game worth buying?

YoungGunsGrt8
04-03-2013, 04:12 AM
I want to buy this game, is it worth my 60 bucks?

Dinova
04-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Expectations and personal preferences.

This aint a RPG, this aint a 'super high progression uber imba gear lvl500 4milion damage shooter' game.

They only comparable game atm would be Firefall (beta atm), in that line this game looks way more 'done' and has a greater variaty of things to do ingame.

Personaly, totaly worth. Even if i make it to 50-60 hours, i already have more hours in this game then quite a few shooters i've played. I like the settings, the scenery and its combat, and as they are still working on more content, i'm happy about it.

Defy
04-03-2013, 04:16 AM
yeah I think its worth it

Sgtbash
04-03-2013, 04:17 AM
It all has to do with player preference really, to me the game is amazing, it does have its bugs like every other launch has but so far the transition from beta to live game has come along nicely. The world is going to be expansive as future dlc comes out and fleshes out the world more. All in all atm I personally give it a 8/10 but everyones opinions are different.

Darqy
04-03-2013, 04:25 AM
Definietly! As the game will grow and improve greatly in time, it's WORTH jumping in now to be here at the start despite few issues. I'd highly recommend it :)

Ae86
04-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Here I just did this thread with my impressions on the game so maybe it can help.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?16078-Overall-Impressions&p=177367#post177367

Jammylambo
04-03-2013, 04:30 AM
id say so yeh.

not gonna lie i was one of those " i wan imba lvl 500 grindfest gear farming" - i really did :'(

so i personally am dissapointed. but although it isnt what i was hoping for. its still a damn interesting game.

dont expect borderlands loot though ! all weapons are the same like alll the way through lol. but the combats quite fun and theres a bunch of stuff to do so even taking loot out of the forumula like seriously its none existance , i have purples and legendaries and their the same as the whites . YAWN) the rest of the formula will give me an abundance of hours to throw away in defiance :).

J_matt
04-03-2013, 04:36 AM
it really depends on personal preference but it you like 3rd person shooter action games then this one will be right up your street the only thing you really have to worry about it doing a lot of repetitive stuff

Sex
04-03-2013, 04:39 AM
Please don't read people's review. Best thing you can do is buy it like the rest of us.

Fakinell
04-03-2013, 04:39 AM
It's outstanding.

Take from that what you will.

Ae86
04-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Please don't read people's review. Best thing you can do is buy it like the rest of us.

Actually reading somebodies review of the game can help you decide if you want to give it a go or not.

TadeuChagas
04-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Go for it, im enjoying it and have no regret in buying this game.

MacDeath
04-03-2013, 04:45 AM
Defiance is a run and gun shooter (in 3rd Person view) with a light overlay of MMO. If you like multi player shooters you will enjoy this game. It's the first shooter I have ever taken a serious look at, as my background is in more traditional MMOs (like DAoC, WoW, RIFT, etc).

But I enjoy the pace of combat here. And, IMO, there is enough of a story line plus side quests to make it feel like an MMO. So, I'm pleased with the game and have recomended it to many of my MMO playing friends.

If you come in looking for a traditional first person shooter OR a traditional MMORPG, you could be disappointed. Defiance is a blend of these two worlds. That's a large part of it's charm for me. The tie-in with the upcoming TV series is a nice plus too.

Eipilice
04-03-2013, 04:45 AM
In my opinion it's a must buy! Fantastic game!

Yes it has some day 1 issues but the size, scope and potential of this game is huge.

Anyone who has played an mmo before understand about launch server problem and patches. If you are new to MMO's read up about launch day issues for starwars gallaxies, WoW, planetside etc

Whitenoise
04-03-2013, 04:46 AM
See here for my thoughts, I would say yes its worth buying.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?14929-Is-this-it/page6

Vertis
04-03-2013, 04:53 AM
8/10

Basically, If you liked borderlands, you will enjoy this game.

Gunplay is tight, PvP and PvE instances are fun.
Quests are boring standard MMO fare, I don't care though because I don't read garbage quest text and spam ESC thru all cutscenes like a true MMO player.

+1 if playing with friends.

Ae86
04-03-2013, 04:55 AM
I'd buy a hard copy of it through instead of a digital copy. That way if you end up not liking the game. The hell do you care you got the receipt you can take it back.

Dinova
04-03-2013, 04:55 AM
8/10

Basically, If you liked borderlands, you will enjoy this game.

Gunplay is tight, PvP and PvE instances are fun.
Quests are boring standard MMO fare, I don't care though because I don't read garbage quest text and spam ESC thru all cutscenes like a true MMO player.

+1 if playing with friends.
Sidenote about Borderlands, if you like the epic guns and the uber damage.. this game aint good for you.

If you like the co-op trailblazing through a bunch of mobs, thats Defiance style :D

Derity
04-03-2013, 04:57 AM
Yes, it's worth it - go buy it! :)

Sex
04-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Actually reading somebodies review of the game can help you decide if you want to give it a go or not.

What's the fun in that?

VA1N
04-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Honestly, it's too early to tell. The game isn't bad, but it doesn't look...done. That's the best way I can describe it. I think they rushed to get this out in time for the season premiere which is later this month and as a result it suffered. Enemies are all the same for the first couple hours and the story isn't going anywhere fast.

With that said, I did have fun though. It's not worth 60 bucks, that's for sure. It should have been 39.99 because they have a shop attached to it. 40 bucks would have been a lot easier to stomach.

If you like online shooters and are ok with looking past a large amount of growing pains/bugs/issues then go for it. If not, avoid it until it's had a few months to simmer and see if it's still going strong.

cesmode
04-03-2013, 05:20 AM
I am with the OP. On the fence. Im trying to wrap my head around the fact that this isnt an MMO, persay, where I have quests, lvl cap, gear progression, and endgame raiding/activities. And I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that this isnt Call of Duty where I can sit on a perch and snipe away. I never played Borderlands or firefall. The closest game I can compare with this is mass effect 2 and 3.

While I am very much intrigued, I still have a few concerns:
1.The game population is spread thin across Xbox, PS3 and PC. Aside from the starter one or two zones, how many people are you running into in the mid to end level zones?

2.Simple 'quality of life' features such as personal bank or chat(I know Trion is aware) are missing at launch. Why there is no bank? I have no idea. That, oddly...is sort of a turn off. I dont know why it is such a big deal to me, it just seems like such a simple easy QoL improvement and trion is notorious for their QoL features. I played 1 or 2 hours of beta total, and my inventory was full. Telling me I need to salvage everything I dont want, or run to a merchant?

3.Things to do in 4 or 5 months? Lets say I reach max ego level, and I've done all my story, and I've completed most of the map missions, side missions, hotshots and all of that. What to do? Dungeons, PVP, run of the mill stuff? With Rift Trion was crazy famous for adding in more endgame stuff, more content systems to do like chronicles, instant adventures, etc. Do you think they will do the same here?

Still on the fence. Reading mixed reviews here in the forums. More negative than positive, unfortunately, compared to other recent launches like GW2 and Tera(who had their fair share of bugs and account issues, but there were more people instantly in love with the game). The fact that theres more of a mixed bag of opinion on the game this early compared to those other games at this point, worries me.

Whitenoise
04-03-2013, 05:24 AM
I am with the OP. On the fence. Im trying to wrap my head around the fact that this isnt an MMO, persay, where I have quests, lvl cap, gear progression, and endgame raiding/activities. And I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that this isnt Call of Duty where I can sit on a perch and snipe away. I never played Borderlands or firefall. The closest game I can compare with this is mass effect 2 and 3.

1.The game population is spread thin across Xbox, PS3 and PC. Aside from the starter one or two zones, how many people are you running into in the mid to end level zones?

2.Simple 'quality of life' features such as personal bank or chat(I know Trion is aware) are missing at launch. Why there is no bank? I have no idea. That, oddly...is sort of a turn off. I dont know why it is such a big deal to me, it just seems like such a simple easy QoL improvement and trion is notorious for their QoL features. I played 1 or 2 hours of beta total, and my inventory was full. Telling me I need to salvage everything I dont want, or run to a merchant?

3.Things to do in 4 or 5 months? Lets say I reach max ego level, and I've done all my story, and I've completed most of the map missions, side missions, hotshots and all of that. What to do? Dungeons, PVP, run of the mill stuff? With Rift Trion was crazy famous for adding in more endgame stuff, more content systems to do like chronicles, instant adventures, etc. Do you think they will do the same here?

Still on the fence. Reading mixed reviews here in the forums. More negative than positive, unfortunately, compared to other recent launches like GW2 and Tera(who had their fair share of bugs and account issues, but there were more people instantly in love with the game). The fact that theres more of a mixed bag of opinion on the game this early compared to those other games at this point, worries me.

1. The game is multi platform not cross platform. You will only see other people on the same platform as you.

2. We made polls and suggestions for this in Alpha, we were ignored (it seems)

3. There is absolutely nothing to do, end game starts from the beginning, there is no progression other than different types of weapons and ego grid.

Ae86
04-03-2013, 05:26 AM

Really not trying to be a smartass but...A game has to have raids to be considered a mmo nowadays?

cesmode
04-03-2013, 05:29 AM
Really not trying to be a smartass but...A game has to have raids to be considered a mmo nowadays?

No. And I prefer that the new breed of MMO do not have raids, or guild content where you need to schedule crap with the guild. When GW2 introduced guild missions, I left. I dont want to schedule my life around a game anymore.

I dont need raids, but wondering what kind of crap theres to do after playing the game for 100-200 hours, or after reaching max ego and you have the loadout and gear you want.

Not saying I want to be rewarded for everything I do, but after running around the map for a few hundred hours killing mobs, doing the missions, hotshots, etc, Id want to mix it up and do something entirely different. I hear there are races or something. Elaborate on that? Things like THAT intrigue me a bit.

Wytchfire
04-03-2013, 05:31 AM

In a word yes it is. Having a hoot of time. People are friendly for now, always the best time to get in a game.

Ae86
04-03-2013, 05:32 AM
No. And I prefer that the new breed of MMO do not have raids, or guild content where you need to schedule crap with the guild. When GW2 introduced guild missions, I left. I dont want to schedule my life around a game anymore.

I dont need raids, but wondering what kind of crap theres to do after playing the game for 100-200 hours, or after reaching max ego and you have the loadout and gear you want.

Not saying I want to be rewarded for everything I do, but after running around the map for a few hundred hours killing mobs, doing the missions, hotshots, etc, Id want to mix it up and do something entirely different. I hear there are races or something. Elaborate on that? Things like THAT intrigue me a bit.

Again not trying to be a smartass but...Want something to do.....Go play runescape...They have plenty of stuff for you to do.

cesmode
04-03-2013, 05:48 AM
Again not trying to be a smartass but...Want something to do.....Go play runescape...They have plenty of stuff for you to do.

Youre doing well giving this game's community a good reputation. I know youre not trying to be a smartass, but youre not contributing to the conversation. I love when people are on the fence about a game, and they ask people who play the game "What do you think? I have some concerns if you could answer and help put my mind at ease because I just dont know!"..people say "Hey go play another game" instead of trying to say "Well, the game is like this and like that, but isnt like this and I think it'll morph into this..and the devs have said this and that".

In a word, you are "unhelpful".

Ae86
04-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Youre doing well giving this game's community a good reputation. I know youre not trying to be a smartass, but youre not contributing to the conversation. I love when people are on the fence about a game, and they ask people who play the game "What do you think? I have some concerns if you could answer and help put my mind at ease because I just dont know!"..people say "Hey go play another game" instead of trying to say "Well, the game is like this and like that, but isnt like this and I think it'll morph into this..and the devs have said this and that".

In a word, you are "unhelpful".

I've actually been contributing to the forum in a positive way. The response I was actually hoping to hear back was that you were wanting to continue giving the game a chance or something along those lines.

VA1N
04-03-2013, 05:57 AM

This doesn't really make sense. I'm playing this game because I want something to do but yet you're telling people to go somewhere else. So there is nothing to do in this game? Why play it then?

JustAHermit
04-03-2013, 05:57 AM

I actually considered this after playing. LOL

Also, refer to: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?15819-Anyone-else-regretting-wasting-money-on-this

People are very mixed about the game, they were even before launch. It's really up to you to decide if it's worth it but it's really day and night with how ya feel.

Ae86
04-03-2013, 05:59 AM
This doesn't really make sense. I'm playing this game because I want something to do but yet you're telling people to go somewhere else. So there is nothing to do in this game? Why play it then?

You misunderstand what I said. It was towards the people who complain that this game is boring and has nothing to do in it but drive round and shoot crap. If it's boring to you why keep playing?

VA1N
04-03-2013, 06:03 AM
I'm happy with the game mainly because I'm excited for the show. If the show wasn't a thing, I doubt I'd be playing. I'm really interested in how events from the show are going to make it into the game and how fast that happens. After playing for a couple hours last night, the game is fun but needs more work. I really hope they continue to smooth out some things. It's not really an MMO as much as it is an online game with quests and other players. My definition of MMO more or less would involve dungeons and raids and such. It's close to an MMO, but closer to a solo questing game with some help from other players in an online world.

I'll be playing it for a while but I can see how others would abandon ship after a couple frustrating nights though.

Ae86
04-03-2013, 06:05 AM
I'm happy with the game mainly because I'm excited for the show. If the show wasn't a thing, I doubt I'd be playing. I'm really interested in how events from the show are going to make it into the game and how fast that happens. After playing for a couple hours last night, the game is fun but needs more work. I really hope they continue to smooth out some things. It's not really an MMO as much as it is an online game with quests and other players. My definition of MMO more or less would involve dungeons and raids and such. It's close to an MMO, but closer to a solo questing game with some help from other players in an online world.

I'll be playing it for a while but I can see how others would abandon ship after a couple frustrating nights though.

I have my own reasons for playing. Among them being once I get her copy my fiancee will be playing it with me. Plus i like getting the challenger stuck >> I may end up watching the show as well I dunno yet.

fasttrack76
04-03-2013, 06:06 AM

All day long

Darrow
04-03-2013, 06:11 AM
I didn't like it from testing, and didn't buy it. I was a superfan for like a week and then realized there was really no reason to keep playing. Nothing I had was getting better, missions started to all feel the same but in a different area, combat got super repetitive, and the UI may as well have had a title at the top that said "F*** YOU PC USERS" with a logo of a big middle finger. It's just not the game for me.

Pain
04-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Worth every penny.

MacDeath
04-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Oh, and another thing I like about this game. There are no artificial barriers to keep you from going where 'you don't belong'. If you have the balls to go somewhere, you can go there, ANYWHERE in the game world. You may die if you truelly aren't ready for that area but it's YOUR choice. The devs don't try to decide where you should or shouldn't be.

Case in point, a few minutes ago I was in the Sausalito zone. I could see the Golden Gate bridge in the distance so decided to try to get to San Francisco. Well, There is a HUGE baddass BUG guarding the bridge... He killed me but it was fun to try. :) So, OP, if you like to explore you will like this aspect of the game. I like it a LOT.

cesmode
04-03-2013, 07:06 AM
You misunderstand what I said. It was towards the people who complain that this game is boring and has nothing to do in it but drive round and shoot crap. If it's boring to you why keep playing?

I havent complained about anything really. Just concerns..wondering where Trion might take the game, what people currently think...pitfalls I can see the game falling into. I havent bought the game, Im considering. 60 bucks is 60 bucks..whatever, but if I can save that money, Im all for it. I dont want to buy it, and then put it down in a month.

After my stints with Wow, I am looking for something to occupy my free time. For a while it was Mass Effect 3 / Diablo 3...which I still play both. Then it was GW2 for 7 months. Devs are driving that one into the crapper.

Younggunsgrt8
04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks all!! Going to go purchase it today afterwork

JBo796
04-03-2013, 10:07 AM

^ agree with..."Sex" (lol) I couldn't find a whole lot of reviews on it and just decided to give a try last night. It personally think it's awesome and don't have any biased opinions forming in the back of my mind to do "professional" reviews.

Hyaku Shiki
04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I say buy it and see for yourself. You'll enjoy and I'm sure it'll only get better.

Cheven
04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Ask yourself: You're asking this question on a community site witch is dedicated toward the game. Sum this up and guess what the answers is going to be. It's quit hard to explain by words if it's worth your money and time. People will just tell their experience with the game and everyone have different taste. Try it for yourself and don't let other affect your decision.

Tenbears
04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Video games are not worth anything. They are all worthless.

But, if you want to play it... buy it.

Younggunsgrt8
04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Video games are not worth anything. They are all worthless.

But, if you want to play it... buy it.

Very very true....