PDA

View Full Version : Bored at work question time - Shotguns ??

Kibblehouse
05-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Curious about the overall usefulness of Shotguns in Defiance today.

Once upon a time I had 2 nice grind fraggers which was my go-to loadout when things got hairy, DM arcfalls, Out of controll Minor arkbreaks, etc. I was never the type to get headshots consistently but with these I could close in empty a clip or two and "make them die". Not useful in all situations but fun and a good way (For ME) to put out a ton of damage in short order.

Now the tactic may not work anymore (closeing with 2 old-style volge was fun, closing with 6 new-style TL10 Volge... ehh not so much) But my question is the weapons, whats the general opinion of shotguns these days?

My favorite Grind Fraggers, and my Trippleshot Fragger still useful? I maxed pumps and autos a while back, after that had a lot of fun with my Sluggers, but havent tried the pellet shotties in a while. How did they fare with all the changes, still good? Need a tweak? Nerfed "To The Ground!"?? Opinions?

Personally I am betting I can still use them, soon as I learn I cant just stand in front of a Vicera, plant my feet and start fireing away like "the old days"

CantstopthesignalMal
05-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Trippleshot fargger? not for me :(

Someone I know would never enter an expert coop, or roam the wild world without his trusty poop-shoes/brutal grind fragger.

Good use is made of the tactic of popping from cover and unloading a full mag of poopie-pellets into any enemies face. The pellets seem to proc bio dmg to armor nicely, and the resulting critical faceshot barrage is enuff to melt any single enemy. With the BRUTAL synergy and mods, a finishing melee is the cherry on top. Lather, rinse, repeat, dodging in and out of cover. Obviously things like fire rate boosts, dmg, and mag boosts make it even better.

Consider your perks as well. Preparedness is a cornerstone to avoid the standing pump reload, while returning fire with another weapon (or even healing with a bmg). Gunslinger for hip faceshotting helps to up the ante, and obviously thinkskinned, and ego recharge perks (ex. dmg) come in highly useful.

I once questioned another player who would stand solo against whole groups of TL10 DM with his siphon shotty and an alternating siphon smg, while taking advantage of associated perks.

spweasel
05-28-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm not huge on Grind Fraggers, but FRC Scatterguns are actually my favorite general-purpose weapon right now. They do great per-shot damage, have enough spread to take out things like Skitterlings without careful aiming (but not so much as to miss with half the pellets against less mobile targets), have a decent fire rate, and reload quickly with the right rolls/perks. There's a reason I keep three of them around.

Shotguns are a little bit gimped right now at high Threat due to the fact that standing too close to enemies is kinda suicidal, but they are still great for running around doing solo content.

Kibblehouse
05-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Two reasons I liked the Tripleshot.

One it was OJ with decent rolls and worked really well for me.
Two I use alot of those 3 round burst shotguns when I was starting out, so I guess I got used to them.
Given a choice I like the full auto over the 3-rnd burst, but this one was nice and I got used to it.

Unfortunately its now an OJ which is about 1200 ego lower than my current level, its just too expensive for me to upgrade with the way I play these days.

CantstopthesignalMal
05-28-2014, 11:20 AM
I'm not huge on Grind Fraggers, but FRC Scatterguns are actually my favorite general-purpose weapon right now. They do great per-shot damage, have enough spread to take out things like Skitterlings without careful aiming (but not so much as to miss with half the pellets against less mobile targets), have a decent fire rate, and reload quickly with the right rolls/perks. There's a reason I keep three of them around.

Shotguns are a little bit gimped right now at high Threat due to the fact that standing too close to enemies is kinda suicidal, but they are still great for running around doing solo content.

I'd be right there with you on the FRC Scattergun, but my finger keeps getting tired of clicking. ;)

Thearl
05-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Once upon a nerf, I had a Heavy FRC Scattergun, OJ flavor, all mag rolls, Elec nano, modded for - recoil, +fall off, plus mag. In the days of yore when shotgun plus mag rolls netted you a shotgun with a 26 round mag and every pellet had a nano chance. Yes, I enjoyed using it so much that I would waste thousands of shotgun skill points using a mastered weapon. Now, because grenades, that weapon has long since went to vendor heaven.

The only pump I keep now is the slugger. Get some accuracy rolls on it and well, you'll find out.

Combat pumps.... Clustershot all the way for leveling. For day to day use, anything with bio works well for removing armor if you get some +falloff on it.

Jack Horrigan
05-28-2014, 01:03 PM
I have a bad shotgun fetish. They are definately still good. I've been using a radiation converted orange birdshot pump with alot of success. In fact at TL10 the thing sings for me. Point is, if you like em, use em. I love them all, except sawed offs. Stupid Zaggers.....

Ryme
05-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Nano-fragger or scatterguns work the best once TL starts to scale. They are the only ones I find that fire fast, have tight enough spread, and reload quickly enough to warrant using once TL hits 10. Everything else either just hits like a limp noodle or leaves you fumbling with too long a reload.

Of course, in standard difficulty, just about anything is useable.

dramaQkarri
05-28-2014, 01:31 PM
You guys didn't mention the Berzerker combat shotty yet. I haven't used much other than SMG's in awhile, but most games I'm big on shotguns.

I gues this post shows yes, the shotguns do have fans!

Kibblehouse
05-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks Gang!

Whoever mentioned Sluggers, have a ton of fun with them, something satisfying about them, big boom, nice damage numbers, easy to keep on target, just a pleasure to use. But I was more interested in how the pellet varieties were doing, lots of good answers.

I'll dust a few of my shotties off next time out and see how I do.

Copperpot
05-28-2014, 01:49 PM
I've just started using shotguns and they're fun. I haven't played around with the perks yet though. It's particularly fun to use them in low threat level situations. I like the Bezerker and I think it's a VBI that shoots 3 rounds automatically.

CantstopthesignalMal
05-28-2014, 02:48 PM
I've just started using shotguns and they're fun. I haven't played around with the perks yet though. It's particularly fun to use them in low threat level situations. I like the Bezerker and I think it's a VBI that shoots 3 rounds automatically.

word on the street is: "once you go GRIND FRAGGER, you never go back!" :)

Atticus Batman
05-28-2014, 04:26 PM
I use plenty of tripleshots and auto-fraggers and love em. I have a no-nano, a bio, and I beleive my newest is electric.

Jack Horrigan
05-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Really, I love ALL the shotguns except the FRC auto slug thrower (Cause the pump slugger is WAY better), and the sawed offs (except the courier, which rules). The auto slugger could be awesome but lacks most of the features that make the pump slugger so good. My favorite gun type in the game is the FRC scattergun. Always got love for shotguns in games.

Tallon
05-28-2014, 09:36 PM
I have a VBI orange pump with fire nano. It does good for me and has 3 reload rolls, a damage roll, and a 45% speed on full reload mastery roll.

Anthalus
05-29-2014, 03:26 AM
Personally I like Fraggers especially for pvp, but right now I'm having alot of funning ripping everything to shreds with a fully modded out Butcher, got a +8 mag bonus mastery so 32 rounds in the clip until I can afford the AF to go for damage as it took me 20ish rerolls just to get mag rather than all the useless ones! Works amazingly well against non-shielded targets and pretty well against those with to the extent that I now no longer use my Syphon Tank spec on Expert coops with raiders, mutants or hellbugs and we (clan grp) generally finish these within 5-10 mins. My Clan leader Scardonia has a full modded Antaeus and I'll be getting one of those too!

HELLS
06-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Grind fraggers, Fraggers, sweepers and breachers have fascinated since I started the game defiance. Grind fraggers which are my favorite have been nerfed and buff through out the course of defiance :with recent patches the dmg that you can put out using a grind fragger is insane I personally own 27 orange grind fraggers. Each one is different my personal favorites are double dmg cannoner and bio grinds. Also have one of the lowest reload grind fraggers doesn't hurt either .1 reload with ego on reload not bad. Still searching for the zero reload. once they get the upgrade rarity system working right this dream may become reality.

HELLS
06-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Personally I like Fraggers especially for pvp, but right now I'm having alot of funning ripping everything to shreds with a fully modded out Butcher, got a +8 mag bonus mastery so 32 rounds in the clip until I can afford the AF to go for damage as it took me 20ish rerolls just to get mag rather than all the useless ones! Works amazingly well against non-shielded targets and pretty well against those with to the extent that I now no longer use my Syphon Tank spec on Expert coops with raiders, mutants or hellbugs and we (clan grp) generally finish these within 5-10 mins. My Clan leader Scardonia has a full modded Antaeus and I'll be getting one of those too!

32 shoots not bad but 40 plus is better. Syphon assassin triple mag and mag mastery with a legendary mag now that's fire power.

Zhedda
06-05-2014, 01:26 PM
I really like the clustershot, and some of the charged combat shotguns. Clustershot is like a detonator with slightly less damage, a larger clip, and way more ammo. I find the charged guns are decent if they have nano effects, especially lightning, as that way you can peek out on some T10 enemies, lay the damage on them, then find some cover while it charges. Damage is slightly worse with the charged weapons, over a period of time, but the ability to utilize cover more is worth it, IMO.