PDA

View Full Version : Annoyances

KTD
05-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Defiance is my first experience with a MMO, and if I didn't like the game and a few people I have met along the way I'd probably just stop playing. Needless to say this makes me question whether I will ever give another MMO a try. I play to relax and have fun, and this sadly is not the case. I find myself turning off the game because I get so frustrated it is not fun anymore. If it was issues with just the game itself, I could deal with it admittedly with a few grumbles but I'd play anyway and overall enjoy it. These "Griefers" range from hard headed noobs to people who seem to enjoy ticking people off to jerks with high egos who think because there ego is high that they are the stuff and can be rude, nasty and generally unpleasant to whomever they please. There have been times when I asked people to stop breaking the locks and wait on other people to open the locks and face the Warmaster and guess what they did, and then proceeded to ask for advice. Which I never mind giving the advice or answering questions. I was after all the once the one who needed advice and had to ask questions. Still do sometimes. Other times I ask for people to wait till there are more people, and I have been given answers such as No, not going to, then there is my favorite, "I don't have to listen to you Noob so shut up", or they flat out ignore me. I admit there have been times when I flat out chose to do the exact opposite of what someone "tells" me to do, talking down to me, and calling me names and when they do that I become stubborn and spiteful. Which makes the game less than fun. Another annoyance is people who whine and complain about Trion, and what they are doing wrong. Dude and Dudettes, if the glitches and bugs bother you that much don't play. Don't start whining or create names like Trion Bites or whatever. If a game is messing up so bad it bugs me, I let the game makers know, and then if they don't fix it I stop playing till they do or have even traded it in for another game, store credit, or cash. Finally there is the players who stand at the edges and make it harder on me when I am trying to complete a contract or mission I am only about middle ways ego wise so when the difficulty level goes up to 10 and when I am the only one trying complete the contract or mission and I am getting my butt kicked it ticks me off. I don't suppose you folks at Trion can put a vote to kick button in Warmasters and other instances like you do co-ops?

divaldo
05-28-2014, 07:42 PM
That won't happen as people will just kick people they don't like what they could do is have the arkfall war master called down just for that clan then they can choose who to invite

konstantinov
05-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Sorry you feel this way and people will be ******** regardless of ego. This is the internet though and many people grow some large internet b*lls. I don't mind helping people but you can learn quite a bit from actually playing the game instead of jumping straight into a WM at level 100. If you do befriend someone that just started the amount of questions can be overwhelming and you usually end up spending more time typing than playing. It seems a lot of the newer players don't use mics.

On a side note. I was in a shadow war the other day and there was a kid in there probably about 11 years old. He alternated between screaming at the top of his lungs and calling people f*****g p*****s. He was ego 640. You really expect people to help you out when you're doing that s**t? No thanks

KTD
05-28-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't mind the questions it is usually why we are waiting for more people to show up for the WM and I am not doing anything but twiddling my thumbs anyway. It is the blatant disrespect, disregard, arrogance etc. I can do without all that. As far as it being the internet, this is why I have not chose to try MMOs before now, and if I hadn't watched the series and was curious about the tie-ins I wouldn't of picked up Defiance. Would of stuck to the Batman games, ACs, DA:O DA2, stuff like that.

Ashlocke
05-29-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't normally reply to threads like this, mainly because the answer is usually, "Because people on the intarwebs are *ALL* jerks", but you mentioned this was your first MMO, and that got me thinking about my first few experiences with people on MMOs.

1) You shouldn't take anything anyone says on the intarwebs seriously, ESPECIALLY within a video game, seriously. No I mean it, seriously.

2) "People on the intarwebs are *ALL* jerks." Yes yes, I'm sure someone on the intarwebs will take offense to that statement and claim they aren't, which of course doesn't matter a lick of difference as sooner or later you WILL run into one and ruin your day. So it's best to just prepare for the worst and assume everyone is rather than be blindsided when someone isn't. Trust me, I'm saving you future grief.

3) Defiance is an EXTREMELY griefer friendly game. There are so many flat out poorly designed game mechanics that should never have seen the light of day, yet, here they are. The Warmaster probably tops the list, followed closely by how the scaling system works (or doesn't work) as you are penalized in a freaking !!MMO!! for having other players around you.

4) Turn off the mic. There's no reason that I can think of that you'd really want to listen to people breathing or chewing. Nothing that anyone has to say in a GAME will be so important to outweigh all of the bizarre noises that you will have to endure up until that infinitesimally, improbable, unlikely event that information Nirvana occurs.

5) I just said a bunch of things on the intarwebs.

Synther
05-29-2014, 11:12 PM
I don't normally reply to threads like this, mainly because the answer is usually, "Because people on the intarwebs are *ALL* jerks", but you mentioned this was your first MMO, and that got me thinking about my first few experiences with people on MMOs.

1) You shouldn't take anything anyone says on the intarwebs seriously, ESPECIALLY within a video game, seriously. No I mean it, seriously.

2) "People on the intarwebs are *ALL* jerks." Yes yes, I'm sure someone on the intarwebs will take offense to that statement and claim they aren't, which of course doesn't matter a lick of difference as sooner or later you WILL run into one and ruin your day. So it's best to just prepare for the worst and assume everyone is rather than be blindsided when someone isn't. Trust me, I'm saving you future grief.

3) Defiance is an EXTREMELY griefer friendly game. There are so many flat out poorly designed game mechanics that should never have seen the light of day, yet, here they are. The Warmaster probably tops the list, followed closely by how the scaling system works (or doesn't work) as you are penalized in a freaking !!MMO!! for having other players around you.

4) Turn off the mic. There's no reason that I can think of that you'd really want to listen to people breathing or chewing. Nothing that anyone has to say in a GAME will be so important to outweigh all of the bizarre noises that you will have to endure up until that infinitesimally, improbable, unlikely event of information Nirvana occurs.

5) I just said a bunch of things on the intarwebs.

So much this. Though, I'd add...

6.) If this is your first MMO, keep in mind that Defiance is not are good representation of an MMO since it is primarily a shooter. Try Rift, Neverwinter, LOTRO, or any of the gazillions of other MMOs out there before saying that you'd never play one again. Each one has it's own flavor and it has been my experience that shooters don't generally bring the best out in people.

konstantinov
05-30-2014, 12:18 AM
So much this. Though, I'd add...

6.) If this is your first MMO, keep in mind that Defiance is not are good representation of an MMO since it is primarily a shooter. Try Rift, Neverwinter, LOTRO, or any of the gazillions of other MMOs out there before saying that you'd never play one again. Each one has it's own flavor and it has been my experience that shooters don't generally bring the best out in people.

Defiance is like a "glorified" CoD as far as trolls/griefers

Maida
05-30-2014, 01:52 AM
I think finding a good clan that you fit in is the key. If you enjoy chatting with your clan it can take your mind of the wasted time waiting for a wm to start. I usually only do WMs or PVP when I know a bunch of my clan are in it. The trash talking is more good natured and joking among friends.

They can't do a vote to kick in WM. How would that even work have all 30 people vote? In the middle of getting killed by the WM. Anyway the griefers would find a way to exploit it and kick you out with just mere seconds away from completing so you wouldn't get any reward.