PDA

View Full Version : Time Trials.....UGGH

shawshank1198
05-29-2014, 07:52 PM
:mad:I completely suck at time trials, I deplore racing games. I am EGO 5300+ but it could be so much higher. Any advice on achieving silver medals? Or any way you could do them for me.....lol.:p

Logain
05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
t
:mad:I completely suck at time trials, I deplore racing games. I am EGO 5300+ but it could be so much higher. Any advice on achieving silver medals? Or any way you could do them for me.....lol.:p

I am in the same boat. If I wanted to race I would have purchased a racing game not a shooter. Let me know if you find a good way to get silvers.

Chump Norris
05-29-2014, 08:19 PM
I just got all of these finished so I feel your pain.

EDIT: I have no tips besides keep trying. These things sadly involve more luck than skill. You will get a lucky run at some point.

konstantinov
05-29-2014, 09:35 PM
You need gold to complete the pursuit.

idonthideiblaze
05-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Just boost all the way threw an instead of breaking to much jus let off gas...watch on some of the races u can avoid obstacles but mostly time the jumps or don't land on the peak of landing spots.. rev jaye has a few records and he's one handed...prolly the best one hander ever ask him

Griffix8
05-29-2014, 10:08 PM
You need gold to complete the pursuit.
You need silvers for the Madera, Marin, Sausilito pursuits. The golds are for the Vehicles pursuits.

Ashlocke
05-29-2014, 10:11 PM
I hate them too.

The only advice I can give you that is 100% pure statistically, numerically, and logically good advice is to level your driving skill to 20 as it provides you with bonuses. Every little bit helps.

Deunan
05-29-2014, 10:12 PM
t

I am in the same boat. If I wanted to race I would have purchased a racing game not a shooter. Let me know if you find a good way to get silvers.If it's important enough for you, you can get a Microsoft controller for the PC. While the mouse is a much better precision tool for shooting, the controller is much better for driving than the keyboard controls.

Big Jack Shepard
05-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Are your runners at lvl 20?

Time trials are a lot easier then.

Also, you have to memorize the course.

Some courses are easier at night so you can see the rings better.

Also, I can't verify this but, it seemed to me that the more time I was in the air the longer the course took to finish i.e. stay on the ground and boost.

konstantinov
05-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Are your runners at lvl 20?

Time trials are a lot easier then.

Also, you have to memorize the course.

Some courses are easier at night so you can see the rings better.

Also, I can't verify this but, it seemed to me that the more time I was in the air the longer the course took to finish i.e. stay on the ground and boost.

I felt like it easier at a lower runner level. I started the races on my second character at runner level 5 and got gold on 75% of the races on the first try. Granted I had done them previously but at a lower runner level I felt like I had a lot more control over the runner. Less room for error but more control without feeling like I was riding a bucking bronco on crack.

Deunan
05-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Also, I can't verify this but, it seemed to me that the more time I was in the air the longer the course took to finish i.e. stay on the ground and boost.Any airtime is deceleration time (boost does nothing to increase speed while in the air).

Roez
05-29-2014, 11:14 PM
If you're on PC and have a controller available, try that. Driving is much easier with a controller.

Perhaps try the runs for only 20 or 30 minutes at a time, then do something else, in game or out of game. Maybe once or twice a day, and then forget about them. Some people get so worked up, or just tired, they are making it worse by doing it for hours. Everyone is different though.

cary2010haha
05-30-2014, 01:17 AM
if you are a PC player, i have a suggestion.

change a high-end PC.

I use a due core / 3 gb ram/ gt 430 before, and play at about 20-40 fps, and it's very hard to get a gd resuilt.

but after i change a I5/ 16gb ram/ gtx 780 Pc, fps is always max, and i feel the speed of the runner is faster than before, and i get all gold in next day.

I think it's a bug that frame rate affect the character move speed, like CS and many other games.

drackiller
05-30-2014, 04:32 AM

My soul mate, i feel your pain.
I play on the PS3 and i can only say this: the Hannibal is undriveable.

YahootsMagoondi
05-30-2014, 05:17 AM
for me, the key to getting silvers was NOT boosting...i drove normally and in control and only boosted where and when i knew i could safely. this got me easy silver in all but maybe 2 of the races. the others, can't remember blocked it from memory...lol, required insane boost all the way from start to finish. it took me a couple days doing nothing but racing, but i finally got the silvers.

Pandur
05-30-2014, 05:25 AM
I don't know about a year ago it seemed fairly easy on PC-EU but i think i read somewhere that the Runners now drive worse than they did last year.

Max runners skill and just learning the course in and out did it for me though, just so you know when to take a turn and which route to take.
Another part is luck to not get annoying enemies or arkfalls or such in your way, which might actually be much more important now with the new scaling.

Oh just thought about that, make special note of the gates that restore your boost, you want to make the best out of those.

N3gativeCr33p
05-30-2014, 05:27 AM
for me, the key to getting silvers was NOT boosting...i drove normally and in control and only boosted where and when i knew i could safely.

This.

/10char

Noble_One
05-30-2014, 05:33 AM
for me, the key to getting silvers was NOT boosting...i drove normally and in control and only boosted where and when i knew i could safely. this got me easy silver in all but maybe 2 of the races. the others, can't remember blocked it from memory...lol, required insane boost all the way from start to finish. it took me a couple days doing nothing but racing, but i finally got the silvers.

this. in the time trials boost at the start then anytime you see a halo in the ring use boost since that halo automatically refuels your boost. from then use boost when you think its a good time to. another note is if you are on a time trial and a pop mission happens such as road blocks, arkfalls, etc STOP and do them since they are blocking the course and messing up your time.

and go for gold since it unlocks the other licenses pursuits and gets you the black challenger. remember the first run through is usually a test to feel out the course from there THEN try and beat the course.

Keeper Riff
05-30-2014, 09:07 AM
http://s30.postimg.org/qy8hhk5bx/Taffer_av.png

:mad:I completely suck at time trials, I deplore racing games. I am EGO 5300+ but it could be so much higher. Any advice on achieving silver medals?
1. If you're on PC, then optimize it. Defragment the HDD so that all textures load faster, disable all background programs that may eat up CPU, set the power profile to "Maximum Performance", set the priority of Defiance.exe to LOW or HIGH (either setting equally improves the game's performance compared to the default "Normal" priority).
2. Get a decent Internet connection.
3. Set the graphics settings in Defiance to LOW, disable shadows. Less scenery objects = less CPU usage and less bandwidth occupied. Turn off the UI Shake too.
4. If you're on PC, set your controls so that you boost with the other hand then you're steering. For example, RMB for boost if you're steering with WASD or Left Shift if you're steering with arrow keys.
5. Learn to turn with the handbrake. You make a much faster and sharper turns with it.
6. Learn to control the quad in the air so that you'll land after a jump without losing speed. Boosting at 0.5 seconds before you land helps a lot.
7. If you meet an emergency on your way, learn how to avoid it. No point in cleaning the road because on your second lap it'll spawn again. So don't engage in fight unless you have a group of friends who are ready to keep the road clean for you. The only exception is the Monarch, because it can break your quad in one hit.
8. Learn the layout of the track by heart so that you know where to go even if the next gate wouldn't show up in time.

Or any way you could do them for me.....lol.:pIf you're on PC, you can change your password, connect to someone's PC via some remote control software (Remote Admin, TeamViewer, Windows Helper, etc.), enter your login/pass to their client and then change your pass back once they finished doing your pursuit.

If it's important enough for you, you can get a Microsoft controller for the PC. While the mouse is a much better precision tool for shooting, the controller is much better for driving than the keyboard controls.While it's much more fun and comfortable to drive with the controller, all my top-times are made on keyboard. Go figure.

Any airtime is deceleration time (boost does nothing to increase speed while in the air).Well it does decelerate when jumping up in the air, but if you brake before the jump, you loose even more time because the gravity is unrealistically low. On the contrary, when you fly down in the valley from a horizontal surface, you still move at boost speed while your boost is recharging.

I don't know about a year ago it seemed fairly easy on PC-EU but i think i read somewhere that the Runners now drive worse than they did last year.No they don't. Have just beaten the old Vo Kshaa's second place time by 4 seconds:
http://s28.postimg.org/iapb3paft/Trial1stplace.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/iapb3paft/)

Festival
05-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Any airtime is deceleration time (boost does nothing to increase speed while in the air).

Former motocross racer here,and you've hit the nail on the head. "Big air" is fun and impresses spectators, but if your rear wheel's not on the ground, it's not driving the motorcycle forward.

I struggle with the time trials, too, and as Roez says above, a controller would probably help. I got out of the console world years ago, and now that I think about it, I stopped playing driving games at about the same time. I miss me some Sega Rally!

Of course, the biggest frustration in the time trials is to have a good run going...and have the damn vehicle despawn out from under you. This has happened to me several times. Bad words were used. Liberally.

Zhedda
05-30-2014, 09:30 AM
My bit of advice would be learning when to use boost. For example, if you see a corner coming up, or a hill, save it. You want to boost up hills, where you normally slow down, and boost out of turns so you can reach top speed on the straights faster. Otherwise, it is making sure you don't hit a lot of terrain, and figuring out a decent line for jumps. Then boost as much as you can get away with.

Deunan
05-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Well it does decelerate when jumping up in the air, but if you brake before the jump, you loose even more time because the gravity is unrealistically low. On the contrary, when you fly down in the valley from a horizontal surface, you still move at boost speed while your boost is recharging.No one was suggesting that you brake before the jump but not boosting into a jump can decrease the altitude so you can land sooner.

One other thing about going airborne. Sometimes you can end up jumping at a bad angle and towards an undesireable outcome like hitting an object or going off course. They did change vehicle physics so they no longer unrealistically change direction mid air based on your steering so to avoid that kind of bad outcome you need to put down the vehicle sooner. You can do this by releasing and repressing the W key on the PC or pushing the controller stick forward on a controller. The nose of the runner will drop and take you to the ground faster where you can use normal ground steering to avoid hitting objects or going off coursefrom jumping at a bad angle on the course. It will slow the runner speed down more than a normal landing with a boost pop at the end to soften the landing but in cases like those you end up losing less time by staying on course and avoiding objects.

Griffix8
05-30-2014, 09:33 AM
My bit of advice would be learning when to use boost. For example, if you see a corner coming up, or a hill, save it. You want to boost up hills, where you normally slow down, and boost out of turns so you can reach top speed on the straights faster. Otherwise, it is making sure you don't hit a lot of terrain, and figuring out a decent line for jumps. Then boost as much as you can get away with.
Boost before you enter the rings that have a smaller spinning ring. If you do it fills up your boost all the way so you can keep going.

Also, practice powersliding, there was a few time trials I ended up having to powerslide just to makes sure and reach a ring without going around a large object to get it.

dramaQkarri
05-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Most everything that's been said here PLUS:

In your regular game play, drive a Hanniball all the time so you're more used to the way it drives. Then when you enter a race you're already warmed up.

Powersliding control helps a ton in cutting down your cornering lost time too - get good at it. You can.

As far as big air, hitting boost while you're in the air brings you back down to the ground faster, in case you hadn't noticed that effect.

And it's true - wheels on the ground is what you need to keep up your best speed.

Deunan
05-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Also, practice powersliding, there was a few time trials I ended up having to powerslide just to makes sure and reach a ring without going around a large object to get it.You must tear up the course and get great times because it sounds like you're at boost at all times possible. I wish I had those kind of driving skills. I just decelerate to make the turns. >^^<

Most players are probably already aware of this but you don't have to drive through the rings to get credit for them. If you hit the outside border of them you will get credit as well. That allows you take angles to go through 2 or 3 rings that might otherwise not work.

Copperpot
05-30-2014, 09:45 AM
I am liking this thread. Thanks for all the tips because I'm pretty frustrated with the trials too.

dramaQkarri
05-30-2014, 09:47 AM
<snip> Most players are probably already aware of this but you don't have to drive through the rings to get credit for them. If you hit the outside border of them you will get credit as well. That allows you take angles to go through 2 or 3 rings that might otherwise not work.

Yep that too - just tag the edge of them. Goes back to memorizing the course too.

JEMINAI
05-30-2014, 09:49 AM
use runners from day 1 and level up.
i found that while leveling vehicles, at stages the characteristics would change and throw me a bit. but the good news is once at lvl20 ur gonna be flying and get a good grasp on how to control it.
worst experience i had was in san fran with newly maxed out skill line. that terrain just threw me all over the place. very frustrating.
meantime get used to the handbrake, tap it to avoid spinning out, (rarely would u take ur finger off the accelerator.
use power slides and of course boost out of turns to regain some control.
practice by taking off and then lock left or right and hold accelerate and handbreak to spin 360. good for quick recoveries too.
keep in mind you can rotate and pivot in the air too for more controlled landings.

rebtattoo
05-30-2014, 09:55 AM
You must tear up the course and get great times because it sounds like you're at boost at all times possible. I wish I had those kind of driving skills. I just decelerate to make the turns. >^^<

Most players are probably already aware of this but you don't have to drive through the rings to get credit for them. If you hit the outside border of them you will get credit as well. That allows you take angles to go through 2 or 3 rings that might otherwise not work.This doesn't always work on PS3, unfortunately...

Griffix8
05-30-2014, 10:08 AM
You must tear up the course and get great times because it sounds like you're at boost at all times possible. I wish I had those kind of driving skills. I just decelerate to make the turns. >^^<
Actually I've only gotten gold on a few of them and that was many many months ago (around the time of the 1st dlc). I tend to get just silvers but yes I do boost a lot. If you notice one ring with a smaller spinning ring inside that usually means there's going to be at least one or two rings just like it afterwards, they have it spaced out so you can boost continuously for quite a distance.

Keeper Riff
05-30-2014, 10:18 AM
http://forums.defiance.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7056

http://forums.defiance.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7055
5. Learn to turn with the handbrake. You make a much faster and sharper turns with it.
If you don't fit into the turn without having to use handbrake, you've done something wrong already. There's exactly one turn in the whole set of trials where the handbrake might be needed, but it's on the Dodge Challenge.

6. Learn to control the quad in the air so that you'll land after a jump without losing speed.Classic Taffer. You forgot to mention that 'controlling' the quad in the air is completely counter-intuitive. If you accelerate while in mid-air, your quad turns nose-down, that's ridiculous. Similarly, when you your spinning wheels turn right, the quad turns right too, when the opposite (or nothing at all) is expected. For taff's sake, it's a vehicle, not a helicopter. Go figure .

Have just beaten the old Vo Kshaa's second place time by 4 seconds:
http://s28.postimg.org/iapb3paft/Trial1stplace.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/iapb3paft/)
Yeah. Right.
http://s30.postimg.org/pku683ta5/Trial1stplace_Vo.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/pku683ta5/)

No one was suggesting that you brake before the jump but not boosting into a jump can decrease the altitude so you can land sooner.The thing is because of the ridiculously low gravity you still spend too much time in the air even if you don't boost. So most of the time it's better to spend this time doing something useful like propelling at decent speed and recharging the boost.

Sometimes you can end up jumping at a bad angle and towards an undesireable outcome like hitting an object or going off course.And that's where knowing the track by heart comes in handy. Of course you have to aim your jump accordingly to what lies ahead.

Deunan
05-30-2014, 10:20 AM
This doesn't always work on PS3, unfortunately...Unfortunately because you guys are plagued with latency issues it probably also doesn't work sometimes when you pass through the center either. We get that occasionally because of latency issues. I cringe thinking how much more frequent it must be on the PS3 servers. My favorite is when the race starts and you're runner hasn't even spawned. >^^<

dramaQkarri
05-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately because you guys are plagued with latency issues it probably also doesn't work sometimes when you pass through the center either. We get that occasionally because of latency issues. I cringe thinking how much more frequent it must be on the PS3 servers. My favorite is when the race starts and you're runner hasn't even spawned. >^^<

Definitely the biggest racing issue mess on PS3 is lag. Races were much, much easier to do a year ago. After the volge started appearing everywhere, all the roadside instances would spawn while we raced and screwed it all up. Lag on PS3 is worse lately and completely different than when I did them (on silver - handed my account to a friend to finish up the gold stuff for me cuz my hands can be disobedient). Lag now involves rings vanishing so you actually have NO IDEA where to point your nose next.

And dare I, yes DARE I, ask for competitive races? Maybe they can lease a bit of code from GTA for that.

Griffix8
05-30-2014, 10:31 AM
I hate the Major Arkbreaks, I don't know how many of those stupid things have landed while doing a trial....That and starting the race on foot.

OldestGamer
05-30-2014, 10:48 AM

Start with the Mt Tam time trials as they are easier,before racing go into settings for your controller in Defiance and turn down the sensitivity setting until only 1 bar is visible,this slows the turning on the quad since they are very squiggly and hard to control. This helped me getting the silvers,now I'm working on the Golds,5 more races to go!

N3gativeCr33p
05-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Maybe they can lease a bit of code from GTA for that.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... ;)

http://media.giphy.com/media/12Tt4U7hlXXaRa/giphy.gif

MAMGRIZZLY
05-30-2014, 12:03 PM
All these are good suggestions, you really have to know the course. My friend watched each 1 on YouTube to see how they did it. Then as Drama said start driving your Hannibal everywhere to get really good at it, practice powersliding. You have to clear everything that can interfere or it will derail a good run. If a long event is happening jump to another phase. Put a strap on your wrist(like Wii) so as not to launch your controller in frustration. If you're 21 have a drink &relax. Be prepared to curse &yell:mad: I have a cousin that does them on PS3 for Clan/friends, just tells them to change password after.

shawshank1198
05-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Start with the Mt Tam time trials as they are easier,before racing go into settings for your controller in Defiance and turn down the sensitivity setting until only 1 bar is visible,this slows the turning on the quad since they are very squiggly and hard to control. This helped me getting the silvers,now I'm working on the Golds,5 more races to go!

Interesting strategy....thanks all for the great advice! Got nothin' but love for ya.

bigguy
05-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Try not to get too much air on the jumps the more time your in the air the less time your tires and engine are moving you.
Use your boost sparingly only in the straight and flat areas , but use it in the straight and flat areas alot.
Only make turn adjustments in small amounts , its easy to overturn and have to adjust and then overadjust and your time is then shot.
Best of luck.

drackiller
05-30-2014, 02:09 PM
I made a try on the PC today, i have the Trial installed since it came out but couldn`t make it run till now, it only runs in low specs but that`s another talk.
I tried to go around with the Hannibal (yes, i had one in my claim section) and the driving is 100% better than on the PS3, and i also played with my Dualshock3 to make the right comparisons.
As it is now in the PS3, it`s unplayable.

jimpugh
05-30-2014, 02:33 PM
late at night less lag and people ......

I drove a 4 wheeler till I finished now I got the Black charger....

you really need to focus and learn these routes well I practice 2-3 every night till I got gold in one and moved along....

biggest pet peeve was minor ark fall s and emergencies the emergencies I knock em out to keep track open....the minor ark falls and such I would come back when they are gone....

time the first lap....... if you can not make the first lap in at least half of the allotted time for gold you more than likely will not make it up in the second lap.....just jump off and try again if you miss a ring start over period......not saying it cant be done cause I have but... it's a pain and as the races get harder every thing tightens up ......... make your self do it! Tell your self your the Best! Find the sweet spot and fly into the checkered flag .....if I can do it anybody can.... One must endeavor to persevere .... You know you will be so kewl in the Black Car!!!!

Happy Racing !
Panhead Jim

Copperpot
05-30-2014, 07:01 PM
I've decided that the Time Trials suck giant, stinky, harry, pow balls. Just sayin.

Atticus Batman
05-30-2014, 07:18 PM
You know you will be so kewl in the Black Car!!!!

Happy Racing !
Panhead Jim

If all you need is a black CAR, then I am fine with my Black Duni. Now if you want to come clear over here and do them for me then I wouldn't object. I don't play most racing games because I think racing tends to suck.

shawshank1198
05-30-2014, 07:27 PM
I've decided that the Time Trials suck giant, stinky, harry, pow balls. Just sayin.

I'm gonna have to agree with you...lol