PDA

View Full Version : PVP v PVE: Defiance is Finally Getting a Bifurcated Damage System

Deunan
05-30-2014, 10:49 AM
From the draft Patch Notes for 1.600:

COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER
* Competitive multiplayer damage reduction is now capped.
- The cap is applied *before* damage type calculations.
- No combination of perks, shields, stims, or anything else can reduce incoming damage by more than 80%. We will monitor this number, and adjust as needed!
- PvE damage reduction is unchanged.

Better late than never. This change will hopefully restore some balance to PvP builds. Now if they can finally get around to adding a shimmer effect to Cloak PvP will be more attractive to those that like to PvP. (I don't but both changes were sorely needed for PvP so hopefully cloak shimmer effect is next on the agenda.)

Nefarious
05-30-2014, 11:01 AM
If Trion wants to restore balance to PvP builds then they should go to the sources. The Perks and the Weapons. That's not going to change anything.

How often do players pop things off in a combination of spikes and stims to gain 80%+ dmg reduction anyway? Not often. Everyone is to busy running around perma-cloaked.

Im shocked that with this big patch that a Cloak fix and some weapon balances were not applied.

Deunan
05-30-2014, 11:08 AM
If Trion wants to restore balance to PvP builds then they should go to the sources. The Perks and the Weapons. That's not going to change anything.Damage caps are a game changer. Bifurcated damage systems for other MMOG's bring some balance to PvP for those games. I'm not sure why you think it will change nothing.

Deunan
05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Im shocked that with this big patch that a Cloak fix and some weapon balances were not applied.I'm not. Given how easy it should be to do so since it already behaves the way players have requested it to behave in PvE it should have been done long ago. The fact that they didn't do it now doesn't surprise me anymore than the fact that they didn't do it half a year or more ago. I'm more shocked that they have made any effort at all to implement bifurcated mechanics for damage and damage mitigation for PvP v PvE. Both changes should have been there from day one.

Deunan
05-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Ah I misread this (or maybe they changed it as I see it was edited). This is for damage mitigation only not damage as well. I agree then that this isn't very helpful at all. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

ConcreteSnake
05-30-2014, 11:47 AM
If Trion wants to restore balance to PvP builds then they should go to the sources. The Perks and the Weapons. That's not going to change anything.

How often do players pop things off in a combination of spikes and stims to gain 80%+ dmg reduction anyway? Not often. Everyone is to busy running around perma-cloaked.

Im shocked that with this big patch that a Cloak fix and some weapon balances were not applied.

id say pretty often since a legendary shield (30%) with fortitude (40%) and cellular armor (6%) and fortified stance (9%) andd up to 85% damage reduction and this patch will help restore some balance to pvp.

Nefarious
05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
id say pretty often since a legendary shield (30%) with fortitude (40%) and cellular armor (6%) and fortified stance (9%) andd up to 85% damage reduction and this patch will help restore some balance to pvp.

this stuff happens if any for few second durations. Or in periods of time between uses with spikes and stims. Meanwhile players are cloaked for 96% of the time during PvP matches.

Now for sure, this damage reduction business is a good change but its a little fish in the pond that doesn't even make a ripple in PvP. Meanwhile the big stuff has been making waves and has made Defiance PvP one of the most whacked PvP experiences in any game to date for a year to months on end now.

ironcladtrash
05-30-2014, 12:19 PM
I think this is all because of the ridiculous damage reduction the 7th legion shields give you with Nano Resistance.

Deunan
05-30-2014, 01:46 PM
I really wish they would actually bifurcate the damage system. They did it in Anarchy Online and it really helped address one trick weapon loadouts without upsetting any PvE use of the same weapons. The way it worked was that no matter what your weapons PvE damage was, it could never do more than X% of the targeted players health in damage with one shot. That eliminated one shot kills and eliminating that would address certain issues with builds like cloak shotgun, the slugger in general, the big boomer etc.

Xervez
05-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Cellular armor and Fortified stance doesn't stack.

Damage Reduction that doesn't stack with each other / they just replace itself for the most Damage reduction
Rear Guard
Cellular Armor
Fortified Stance
Hunker Down
In the Trenches
Failsafe

Addition of Armor plates (goes to higher amount whenever it activates)
Thick skinned x4 armor plates on shield break
Detachment x3 armor plates on kill

basically it's Shield Armor DR / 1 perk DR / 1 Perk Armor Plate DR / 1 Weapon Mastery DR / (Shield Nano protection and the Nano Protection Perk), those can all stack.

so with this formula in mind against a non nano weapon and being shot in the back

ex.
OJ Shield x3 Armor Plates (30% DR)
Rear Guard (15% DR)
Thick Skinned Activates x4 Armor Plates (40% DR)
OJ weapon with a mastery of (12% less damage while reloading)

this pans out to be 97% non nano damage DR achievable currently for a few seconds.

COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER
* Competitive multiplayer damage reduction is now capped.
- The cap is applied *before* damage type calculations.
- No combination of perks, shields, stims, or anything else can reduce incoming damage by more than 80%. We will monitor this number, and adjust as needed!
- PvE damage reduction is unchanged.

With the upcoming changes it pretty much targets 2 birds with 1 stone.

It addresses the 0J 7th Legion nano protection Shields and the OJ IV nano protection shields which both can have 80% damage reduction from their corresponding nano.

Those shields topped off with the corresponding nano protection perk and a few perks that stack with them can make the person immune to that corresponding nano.

It also limits the Damage reduction achievable as per the example stated above.

It's a good fix, now if they can get it to work correctly is another story.

A step in the right direction, Nefarious and Deunan are right they need to re work how the Ego abilities function, since they are attempting to divide PvP from PvE, this might be a good sign they are finally actually looking into it.

Also limiting the damage is an interesting idea, it would tone down the ability to 1 shot (body shot) a person, that's another thing that can be looked into. This would primarily effect the Overcharge ability since it would cap the max damage a weapon could do.

It would probably give more choices in ego ability if they did cap damage, giving players the ability to choose decoy / blur/ or cloak if their damage is capped.

cary2010haha
05-31-2014, 02:05 AM
PVP 's problem is no longer about the cloak.........

no one use cloak any more......................if they try 1 hit kill overload slugger/auto sniper

and.................the 1.6 patch do nothing about it

I think this is all because of the ridiculous damage reduction the 7th legion shields give you with Nano Resistance.
no nano for pvp is basic sense, didn't it?

ironcladtrash
05-31-2014, 08:15 AM

no one use cloak any more......................if they try 1 hit kill overload slugger/auto sniper

I know a lot of us are intentionally gimping ourselves not using Cloak. I still break mine out though after after having a few but mostly just use overcharge and blur now. It's still the best and easiest go to option in PVP.

no nano for pvp is basic sense, didn't it?
Radiation made more sense to me to use in PVP since it bypasses armor 2.5 plates. With my sniper it's perfect unless someone uses rad resistance then it's instantly wortheless. I keep going back and forth adding and removing a radiation mag to my non nano gun.

cary2010haha
05-31-2014, 09:19 AM
Radiation made more sense to me to use in PVP since it bypasses armor 2.5 plates. With my sniper it's perfect unless someone uses rad resistance then it's intpsrantly wortheless. I keep going back and forth adding and removing a radiation mag to my non nano gun.

rad is too gd if we don't have any nano resis., and i love how they work so we should use different nano weapon on PVP ...............................

well 80% + DR is too much

Nefarious
05-31-2014, 10:58 AM

Just because something new and unbalanced has shown up doesn't mean the previous unbalanced things are no longer unbalanced.

I agree that VBI Sluggers shouldn't have a 2.0 base crit. Its not even listed in the weapon stats. And basically players have large mag single shot kill weapons. But at least players have to aim with it and hit players head.