PDA

View Full Version : Taking Bets

dramaQkarri
05-30-2014, 02:31 PM
I have a funny feeling something is HORRIBLY WRONG with the F2P and all it's accompanying stuff. What else would explain the sudden cancellation of today's livestream and the total silence from the team?

Who thinks F2P launch will be delayed?

Who thinks F2P launch will make the game unplayable on June 4 and possibly longer?

Who thinks?

Odessa
05-30-2014, 03:21 PM
He's my spin. Come June 4th they are going to be bombarded from all sides with new content woes. It always happens. They work double time to try and catch what was wrong, smooth what was ruffled and still be pleasant while people were yelling at them. I offer no excuses for the problems, simply expect that they will happen. With that being said, they're most likely working to get it as right as they can and then take a day to rest before the storm. If it were me, I'd be in a bomb shelter with a bottle of Tequila.... and a lamp shade.

Atticus Batman
05-30-2014, 03:24 PM
It wasn't sudden, they always postpone right before a big release. And they announced it a few days ago in a stickied thread. Not their fault people post in that thread without reading anything.

With the team hard at work on final preparations for Defiance's free-to-play transition next week, we're going to skip the May 30 livestream and resume on June 6. Instead, this week we'll harvest a set of questions from this thread and reply with the developers' answers.

Thanks for understanding!

rebtattoo
05-30-2014, 03:29 PM
I honestly don't see this "Huge influx of new players" happening on PS3. Seriously, the game is $5 as it is right now. Besides, it doesn't go F2P for us for another month and a half.

I don't see any lag contributed from that factor.

That being said, I do foresee "some" players returning to see what the "new content" consists of. The regular lag that always is resultant of a "new content" patch should be expected.

I also expect several things with the new mechanic schemes to be borked. Trion is Trion, after all. To not expect these things, as a veteran player, means said player is simply not paying attention to the game that they're playing.

mikeel
05-30-2014, 03:30 PM
I think it will take two months before people get tired of Season 2.

I think they just didn't want to show off any of Season 2 because of the people who made it to the new land mass that was to be available and this is their punishment to you lol :p.

Heck who knows they just said ya know what we're not doing a live stream today. I grow more weary of companies that fire or lay off people in mass need I, name this one. Companies that use the word " No ". Paying for DLC , Expansion's or for new games only to later see their poor rating's that make you want to cringe cause you pre-bought into the hype. Development team members who don't return e-mails no matter how detailed they are. Failure to expand the game when the content has been either exhausted or done more times then you can create alternate characters to re-due the missions.

Warhorse500
05-30-2014, 07:03 PM
I have a funny feeling something is HORRIBLY WRONG with the F2P and all it's accompanying stuff. What else would explain the sudden cancellation of today's livestream and the total silence from the team?

Who thinks F2P launch will be delayed?

I do, I do!

Who thinks F2P launch will make the game unplayable on June 4 and possibly longer?

I do, I do!!

Who thinks?

I do, I do!!! I think all the time!

Seriously tho...I smell blood in the water. F2P was as bad an idea as the last 3 DLCs of Season One. This silence from the devs only makes things worse.

I've noticed that the two big gamers from the show cast---Grant Bowler and Jesse Rath---haven't uttered so much as a single word on the subject of the game since the SDCC last summer. Even the show cast isn't supporting the "entertainment convergence" concept any more. If Trion really wanted this to work, they'd get at least Grant and Jesse to help them pump up the interest level a bit.

I've played the S2 DLC story line through...took me a bit longer than most folks simply because I wanted to explore it a bit. Got lucky with the run out to the Dark Matter base; there were already some folks dealing with the threat level 10 mobs, so I just dashed in, got what I needed, and hauled ***. It wasn't a bad story line, but terribly light on content. Supposedly we're getting some more geography---I don't know where. I always figured I'd already seen the "dead zone" in San Francisco in the Observatory PvP map, so I don't think it's there. Maybe we'll get to see what lies off the "New Freedom"s bow...

AlexzanderThor
05-31-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm betting that when the game goes F2P, that it will the servers will break, and the game will be unplayable for 1-2 weeks (Maybe 3 at the rate the dev team fixes things), and as an extra wager, I will put some brownies on Defiance dying when Destiny comes out.

PhantasieTrion
05-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Hi

All console certifications are complete and approved.
All the (likely final) client patches from our live branch have been built.

IE - Everything is on track for June 4th at this point. The reality is: changing payment methods, removing access restrictions and other such F2P changes takes work - and we need to focus our resources on that. This is very similar to how we handled resources for previous DLC's!

@Reb - Re the cost of the client - Very accurate, and we've taken this into account!

Noble_One
05-31-2014, 07:54 PM
He's my spin. Come June 4th they are going to be bombarded from all sides with new content woes. It always happens. They work double time to try and catch what was wrong, smooth what was ruffled and still be pleasant while people were yelling at them. I offer no excuses for the problems, simply expect that they will happen. With that being said, they're most likely working to get it as right as they can and then take a day to rest before the storm. If it were me, I'd be in a bomb shelter with a bottle of Tequila.... and a lamp shade.

i have loads of popcorn and drinks at the ready and working on my Vaas "did i every tell you the definition of insanity?" macro for chat.

dis gonna be good!!

AlexzanderThor
05-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Hi

This is very similar to how we handled resources for previous DLC's!

So if this is using the same method of handling as the DLC's, than does that mean the game will never have new content, and will continue to break with every major patch?

That's what this sounds like, because you guys put very little resources (If any) into the DLC's.

Mushbeeguy
05-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Karri, that is a suckers bet. History has shown that a DLP in Defiance is a problem waiting to be experienced by we the unpaid beta testers.

Bless his heart, PhantasieTrion has only experienced a few of our major disapointments.

We are used to it. Abuse us some more.

PseudoCool
05-31-2014, 10:02 PM
I'll toss in my 2 cents here:

I left after the TOTAL disappointment that was DLC2. I came back after DLC 5 launched so I could see what my $30 pre-order for the DLC's got me. I have to say it was a TOTAL disappointment. I've already burned through all the content for DLC 3, 4, and 5 in under a week, and that's dragging my feet to do every little arkfall and incursion that pops up. There just really isn't much in the way of content, and this game sorely needs content. MAJOR content.

That's not even touching on balance issues, "end game" content for those over ego 5000 (which I'm steadily marching towards just so I can check it out) and the ever lovely scoring glitches that are rampant. I think all of that pales in the face of the fact that season pass holders really didn't get squat. The non-pass players (and those who did NOT buy any of the DLC's in fact) can still access everything that the DLC holders PAID for. It's a giant slap in the face.

As for F2P.. I wouldn't take any bets on it at all. Sure, it may be approved and ready for launch, but seriously... at this point.. with Trions track record in regards to Defiance.. I don't see it making anything other than a small bump in the waste pools of San Francisco.

Griffix8
05-31-2014, 11:29 PM
The game has a lot of potential and it SUCKS that none of it is being used. Its not even bottom of the barrel here...its more of chipping the paint off the outside than anything. The focus doesn't seem to be so much the player base but the player base's wallets.

The F2P thing is a last ditch effort for cash. Cash which will probably only be one small lump sum then trickle down to nothing very shortly. I highly doubt that too many people will play the game even if it is free. Its cheaper than dirt now and there isn't an influx. A few new people, maybe some returning ones and that'd be about it.

I HOPE it goes ok, it'd be nice to meet new people but (being a Debbie Downer here) I have a feeling that it won't be all that good. Unless better content was released, things were fixed up and a complete makeover (in the right direction) was done then people will play it for a bit then drop the game cause its either A. confusing, B. difficult, C. not fun or D. all of the above.