PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Boosts in Defiance Free-to-Play

Scapes
06-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Ark hunters,

Defiance's next update, Patch 2.0, is coming up and quickly! We wanted to take a moment to discuss changes to how boosts will operate after this update hits. Previously, boosts granted 24 hours of real time bonus to gameplay elements. Moving forward, all but Clan boosts will grant 2 hours of time spent actually playing Defiance and will grant significantly more bonus (from 10% to 30% for most Personal Boosts) to the gameplay element they affect.

Patch 1.600 also introduces a new tier of boosts called Personal+ which can stack with Personal, Group, Clan, and Patron boosts. Additionally, we're going to do away with Loot Boosts as they never functioned quite the way we intended. Instead, we're adding Score Boosts to the Bit Store which will increase your score in events, granting better rewards as a result of your efforts in events like arkfalls and sieges.

For more information on Patch 2.0, check out the full patch notes (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?161459-Patch-2.0-The-NSFW-Patch-6-4-14).

Chump Norris
06-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Will the boards rank people by damage? If not score boosts are ****ing stupid and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

Jaydogg
06-03-2014, 08:15 PM
wtf who comes up with these ideas?

maverick07
06-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Ark hunters,

Defiance's next update, Patch 1.600, is coming up and quickly! We wanted to take a moment to discuss changes to how boosts will operate after this update hits. Previously, boosts granted 24 hours of real time bonus to gameplay elements. Moving forward, in response to player feedback, all but Clan boosts will grant 2 hours of time spent actually playing Defiance instead.

Patch 1.600 also introduces a new tier of boosts called Personal+ which can stack with Personal, Group, Clan, and Patron boosts. Additionally, we're going to do away with Loot Boosts as they never functioned quite the way we intended. Instead, we're adding Score Boosts to the Bit Store which will increase your score in events, granting better rewards as a result of your efforts in events like arkfalls and sieges.

For more information on Patch 1.600, check out the full patch notes (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?160912-Patch-1.600-Draft-Notes!).

Couple things. I believe a salvage boost was also coming, not mentioned in the notes or in your post, is that still coming?

And boosts are getting lowered to 2 hours now? Funny because I never saw one person giving feedback saying 3 hours was too much at all... :rolleyes: unless that is a typo in your post...

Will the boards rank people by damage? If not score boosts are ****ing stupid and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

Nope. I think we "might" be getting the personal stat page with this update that we can see our own damage with, but you know, damage leaderboards would cause nothing but griefing apparently :confused:.

I can't say I've cared much about my score on leaderboards and used it as a guide to how well I did at events since the new system was brought in. Now it looks like I will pay even less attention to it.

Lucent
06-03-2014, 08:28 PM
The score boost should NOT show up on the scoreboard.

Xaat Xuun
06-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm not a fan of follow with ... " Yeah what they said" . . but will this time

not sure of a way to say it, but this is how I see it, and is only my own PoV
the scoring system (current) does not encourage actually winning, it gives a false image of achievement , now you're offering boosting of that False Achievement from the store

I don't believe this will affect solo play, kinda seeing it a good thing for soloers, but for the Open Pug areas/events, it will have little encouragement to proper fighting gear and effort to win the fight. Just helps those that want to see their name higher on the score board

Scapes
06-03-2014, 08:34 PM
And boosts are getting lowered to 2 hours now? Funny because I never saw one person giving feedback saying 3 hours was too much at all... :rolleyes: unless that is a typo in your post...

No typo but I did miss an important fact: boosts will be boosted in the bonus they grant, hence the reduced time. Updated the OP to reflect this.

Scapes
06-03-2014, 08:44 PM
And patch notes link updated to Patch 2.0!

Chump Norris
06-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Do you agree buying score is pay to win? At least when it comes to the leaderboards.

maverick07
06-03-2014, 08:54 PM

On the part of the notes that says you get an extra daily/weekly box for each DLC that you own. I have a question.

Since it says extra lockbox. Do we still get the daily/weeklies from Arkbreaker which have the Ark Batteries in them (to call down Arkbreaks)?

Assuming something is being changed with how the Arkbreaker boxes work. What will happen to any of those Arkbreaker boxes that may still be in our claims?

Zombie Stark
06-03-2014, 09:49 PM

Score boost?? :rolleyes: Sure, let's let all the new players pay their way up to the top of the leaderboards, rather then encourage them to do the best they can. (Through skill, weaponry, and damage output.)

Griffix8
06-03-2014, 10:05 PM
*Sigh* Higher score means better stuff, i.e. everyone is going to try their hardest to find the cheapest way of getting points (*Cough* coldfire in Warmaster *Cough*).

ConcreteSnake
06-03-2014, 10:23 PM
No loot boost? Well there goes Sutro as a valid way to grind.

Bonehead
06-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Pay cash to boost score...

Mmmkay I'm pretty sure there is no way to say that's not pay to win. Don't really care at this point myself but ummmm...

Yea.

ConcreteSnake
06-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Pay cash to boost score...

Mmmkay I'm pretty sure there is no way to say that's not pay to win. Don't really care at this point myself but ummmm...

Yea.

I see it as more of a keys/arkforge boost

cmpowell
06-03-2014, 10:49 PM
that's too bad loot boost was the best one, imo

cmpowell
06-03-2014, 10:58 PM
DLC OWNER REWARDS
* Players will now receive an extra lockbox in their daily and weekly login rewards for *EVERY* DLC that they own.
* These lockboxes, named [DLC] Daily/Weekly Supplies so that you know what you're getting from which DLC, will contain 1 of 4 items.
* Daily Supplies:
- 1 Arkforge
- 1 Ark Keycodes
- 100 Scrip
- 100 Salvage
* Weekly Supplies:
- 5 Arkforge
- 5 Ark Keycodes
- 500 Scrip
- 500 Salvage

Am I reading this/interpreting right? we will get 1 of the 4 items listed? Is that all that's in the DLC boxes? If so it seems like kinda of a waste, but if it's one of these 4 items plus the regular content of a dlc supply crate then we'd be talkin'

Roez
06-04-2014, 12:39 AM
Do you agree buying score is pay to win? At least when it comes to the leaderboards.

I'm generally a person who tries being objective, and fair, especially about what I do not know. Hopefully, they recognize adding score is fine for rewards, but should in no way be on, or reflected in any leaderboard. If it is, they just killed one of the aspects of the game people like to goof with (even if a lot of people say it's meaningless, it's still fun).

Let me be more specific: it was one of the things I always like to see, before the scoring system and after. It kinda gave me the competitive, intense feeling. It's no longer competitive if people can buy to improve their standing. Even if scoring is an imperfect system. It's not like the game has a ton of things to strive for.

We'll see. It will really diminish my zeal toward the F2P move if it is. It would be a huge, unexpected let down.

duction
06-04-2014, 02:00 AM
Nooooo don't kill off loot boosts!

Pandur
06-04-2014, 02:52 AM
I'm generally a person who tries being objective, and fair, especially about what I do not know. Hopefully, they recognize adding score is fine for rewards, but should in no way be on, or reflected in any leaderboard. If it is, they just killed one of the aspects of the game people like to goof with (even if a lot of people say it's meaningless, it's still fun).

Let me be more specific: it was one of the things I always like to see, before the scoring system and after. It kinda gave me the competitive, intense feeling. It's no longer competitive if people can buy to improve their standing. Even if scoring is an imperfect system. It's not like the game has a ton of things to strive for.

We'll see. It will really diminish my zeal toward the F2P move if it is. It would be a huge, unexpected let down.

Honestly the score is absolutely meaningless, the score boost is really just a currency boost.
The score never rewarded playing good, it rewards the worst kinds of gameplay the best.
IE in major arkfalls, afk the whole thing make sure you get a good kill shot be top3.
Or if you really wanna be top just pull out a bmg and randomly annoy everyone around you, just be sure to get a good kill shot in the end.

They should scrap the whole thing and redo it.

Roez
06-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Honestly the score is absolutely meaningless, the score boost is really just a currency boost.
The score never rewarded playing good, it rewards the worst kinds of gameplay the best.
IE in major arkfalls, afk the whole thing make sure you get a good kill shot be top3.
Or if you really wanna be top just pull out a bmg and randomly annoy everyone around you, just be sure to get a good kill shot in the end.

They should scrap the whole thing and redo it.

The scoring system will be tweaked. Let's start with the assumption it might get better. Also, I knew someone was going to chime in with this, and I am aware it's not the best indicator, and position doesn't affect a person's reward (that is, the leaderboard position doesn't matter, the total does). Even still, I enjoy and like it.

I do hear what you are saying though. All they need to do is make it so the leaderboard doesn't reflect the boost, and just put the boost amount somewhere on the person's individual reward screen. Heck, it might be this way already.

MadMoxxiFavGun
06-04-2014, 03:12 AM
I got a question. How am I suppose to use this new score boast if I can never play Dark Matter arkfalls, sieges, and the warmaster? I crit out every time. I know for a fact it isn't my internet. I pay for a 50 Mbs line from comcast. Then you take away loot boast? That was by far your best one. This is terrible news. I think I just lost all hope for the new dev team. They bring a great change imo with DLC 5, then they pull this? I been saying this for awhile but it its true. Trick is a Trick

SLuG
06-04-2014, 03:35 AM
The score boost should NOT show up on the scoreboard.

Yeah, this. Being able to pay to be at the top of the scoreboard is, um, questionable, to say the least.

Roez
06-04-2014, 04:05 AM
Yeah, this. Being able to pay to be at the top of the scoreboard is, um, questionable, to say the least.

If you go through and add up how much you can get too, it's substantial. It's over 50%. The boosts are additive across all the categories, as they discussed in their interview with MMO reporter yesterday.

MAMGRIZZLY
06-04-2014, 04:56 AM
So will Arkforge be awarded by actual score or this inflated score bought with bits? Score Boosts available only in Store for bits...taking away Loot Boosts...nevermind answering I see the pattern.

Lucent
06-04-2014, 05:52 AM
I got a question. How am I suppose to use this new score boast if I can never play Dark Matter arkfalls, sieges, and the warmaster? I crit out every time. I know for a fact it isn't my internet. I pay for a 50 Mbs line from comcast. Then you take away loot boast? That was by far your best one. This is terrible news. I think I just lost all hope for the new dev team. They bring a great change imo with DLC 5, then they pull this? I been saying this for awhile but it its true. Trick is a Trick

There always is the claim that when you crit out or time out, you are still collecting your rewards.... I still have not experienced that, but it is a claim.

Combo Breaker
06-04-2014, 07:07 AM
No more loot boosts? Does this mean no more loot boost weekends?

http://i.imgur.com/sttP5lY.jpg

hardy83
06-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Don't know why people are complaining about the leaderboards. They literally mean nothing. It won't stop someone else from getting loot and it's not permanent like a PvP season stat leaderboard or something.
If they do add that feature. Yeah. They should only show the players scorr in is the boosted amount.

Also, say you have all the boosts. Clan, group, personal+ etc. What is the highest % of boost you can get?

dramaQkarri
06-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Ark hunters,

Defiance's next update, Patch 2.0, is coming up and quickly! We wanted to take a moment to discuss changes to how boosts will operate after this update hits. Previously, boosts granted 24 hours of real time bonus to gameplay elements. Moving forward, all but Clan boosts will grant 2 hours of time spent actually playing Defiance and will grant significantly more bonus (from 10% to 30% for most Personal Boosts) to the gameplay element they affect.

For more information on Patch 2.0, check out the full patch notes (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?161459-Patch-2.0-The-NSFW-Patch-6-4-14).

This is NOT OK - for myriad reasons.

One of my clan leaders bought about a week's worth of loot and other boosts a few days ago. I sincerely hope you will refund his bits for the LOOT BOOST BEING REMOVED. In game purchase being...stolen? I think not.

We should have been told this a week ahead of time. Instead, you're suddenly removing loot bosts without even a full day's warning? What now?

And what are you talking about Loot Boosts not working? They work fine and it's the only boost I like.

So take your patron pass and shove it. I'll be requesting a bits refund, as I have about 5,000 bits that are completely useless to me.

Thanks for nothing. This feels like robbery.

Pandur
06-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Ark hunters,

Out of interest, how were the loot boosts supposed to work or what exactly didn't work as intended on them ?

LithiumK
06-04-2014, 07:49 AM
This is NOT OK - for myriad reasons.

One of my clan leaders bought about a week's worth of loot and other boosts a few days ago. I sincerely hope you will refund his bits for the LOOT BOOST BEING REMOVED. In game purchase being...stolen? I think not.

We should have been told this a week ahead of time. Instead, you're suddenly removing loot bosts without even a full day's warning? What now?

And what are you talking about Loot Boosts not working? They work fine and it's the only boost I like.

So take your patron pass and shove it. I'll be requesting a bits refund, as I have about 5,000 bits that are completely useless to me.

Thanks for nothing. This feels like robbery.

Do you actually play the game or just spend all your time on the forums complaining and bashing the devs/team/company?

dramaQkarri
06-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Do you actually play the game or just spend all your time on the forums complaining and bashing the devs/team/company?

The obvious troll is the obvious troll.

My job offers plenty of free time with a PC right here in my face and as long as any work is not neglected, I can roam the forums in my downtime.

Thanks for lurking, now eff off.

*EDIT: Not that I have to explain myself to YOU.

cuba 666
06-04-2014, 08:06 AM
I spend 8 to 10 hrs a day how 2 hrs will help....?.?
I spend literally thousand of dollars in this game on boost, you make it 3 hrs and now 2 hrs
You want ppl to purchase the boost have it 24 hrs in game, and you will make alots money....please think about it....

Wander
06-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Just change the scoring system back to DMG.

I liked seeing myself at the top all the time, it reflected how well people were doing and helping, or if certain loadouts gave me more DPS, or if a new gun was worth keeping, or to see if I was doing better and trying to beat my old score.

Your new scoring system is pathetic, and terrible, and it sucks.

Now, your doing this to boosts? score boost? could a game get any more sad? score boost? a score boost? do you know what score means? this is f'd up.

Even more so becuase the ONLY boost people liked WAS the loot boost. All that loot on the ground was a way to make some scrip....thats gone now.

Useless *** patron pass.

More like "You carried us through a year of ****ty develpment and lack of any content and bad communication, here is a old chewn peice of gum pass"

Deunan
06-04-2014, 08:51 AM
And what are you talking about Loot Boosts not working? They work fine and it's the only boost I like.The only thing I can think of is that they were supposed to work as described in the detail in the bit store which they never did, i.e. they were supposed to increase the chance of more rare loot dropping not more trash loot.

Scapes
06-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Out of interest, how were the loot boosts supposed to work or what exactly didn't work as intended on them ?

Sure thing, the Loot Boosts were not increasing rarity as the name incorrectly inferred. Instead, they increased the number of pulls of the slot machine if you'll allow the metaphor, causing more loot to drop but with the same rarity chance.

Also, for those wondering, Loot Boosts were not our top selling boost. Weapon Skill and XP Boosts remain our most popular.

dramaQkarri
06-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Sure thing, the Loot Boosts were not increasing rarity as the name incorrectly inferred. Instead, they increased the number of pulls of the slot machine if you'll allow the metaphor, causing more loot to drop but with the same rarity chance.

Also, for those wondering, Loot Boosts were not our top selling boost. Weapon Skill and XP Boosts remain our most popular.

Bummer. I was all good with selling that trash to vendors. Oh well.

cuba 666
06-04-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm sorry for this but if you when to put loot boost 24 hrs in game personal and groupe it will actually the most top selling on the game...and that's the opinion of almost 300 to 400 players on Defiance...a should be taking into consideration. And sorry for my gramma tic I'm Cuban..lol

Pandur
06-04-2014, 09:08 AM

Ahhh makes sense, thanks. Well loot boost weekends were good for scrip because of all the trash dropping lol.
Oh talking of loot boost weekends. Are those gonna be score boosts now ?

Scapes
06-04-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm sorry for this but if you when to put boost lost 24 hrs in game personal and groupe it will actually the most top selling on the game...and that's the opinion of almost 300 to 400 players on Defiance...a should be taking into consideration.

Our data says otherwise. Also, any players who purchased a real-time 24 hour boost before Patch 2.0 will get the full value of their boost. If for whatever reason this isn't the case, contact our Support Team and we'll make it right.

Scapes
06-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Ahhh makes sense, thanks. Well loot boost weekends were good for scrip because of all the trash dropping lol.
Oh talking of loot boost weekends. Are those gonna be score boosts now ?

We'll focus on the other types of boosts for weekend events. We also don't have the ability to do global Score Boosts just yet.

PseudoCool
06-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Our data says otherwise. Also, any players who purchased a real-time 24 hour boost before Patch 2.0 will get the full value of their boost. If for whatever reason this isn't the case, contact our Support Team and we'll make it right.

I've been waiting for that "refund" since DLC 2 dropped and the patch before it that nuked a bunch of my stuff. Still haven't gotten it from the support team.

cuba 666
06-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Because is never been put in game....the 24 hrs use of the loot boost, but in the near future if this was put in the game it will be your major seller and xbox NA players is big...and support I'm not that good typing, already having problems with my English thank god for the autocorrect, btw only 10 years of English...but anyway I really happy with the quick response Scapes.

techa n9na
06-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Lowering boosts from 24 hours to 2 hours seems a bit desperate and money hungry wouldn't you say? I went about 7 or 8 months where I always had boost on then it was lowered to 3 hours I stopped buying bits altogether...that short amount of time when dealing with lag and crit issues is ridiculous

Roez
06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
A mentioned elsewhere, the personal boosts go from 10% to 30% (the score boost is 15% I believe). It seems practical the target audience are people with disposable income, and not a lot of time. Two hour boosts that are 30% is much more reasonable than gaining more time the person can't use.

If interested in how F2P pricing structures often go after whales, there's some good articles out there. Whales are typically less than 10% of the player base, yet spend by far the most.

I know where you are coming from (see my previous posts), but again, the game was dying/struggling and this is the way to save it. There wouldn't be much of a game if this F2P structure didn't happen. Hopefully, they will tweek it a little though. <3

TremerChrist
06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Personal boost going to 30% is great, shame you guys are removing the only one I would've bought.

MadMoxxiFavGun
06-04-2014, 09:43 AM

pics or it didnt happen

jimpugh
06-04-2014, 09:51 AM
So sick of reinventing the Wheel .......When I can not get thru a Dark matter monitor event or War master with out critical.... error.... every time.....

this has been really bad since last patch ...... You want me to spend money.....Fix the game ....

24 hours was a decent deal; 2 hours is a joke and it is on you .....my hand is on my wallet....

Nuff Said watch your numbers...... oh AND do not buy that new car yet.....

Happy Trails
PanHeadJim

Z0mb1E
06-04-2014, 09:52 AM

That's not really sound logic to get rid of the loot boost (why don't you just fix it?)

Weapon Skill and XP Boosts remain our most popular

As more and more players level up, this will become less and less the case.

Z0mb1E
06-04-2014, 09:54 AM
They already reduced 24 hour (Non Clan) boosts to 3 hours prior, now they are reducing to 2 hours with 3x the effect. Seems a bit more useful to me.

dramaQkarri
06-04-2014, 09:54 AM
That's not really sound logic to get rid of the loot boost (why don't you just fix it?)

Weapon Skill and XP Boosts remain our most popular

As more and more players level up, this will become less and less the case.

Skill & XP would be the boosts they want to sell to the F2P crowd.

As far as fixing loot boost, I liked it the way it was so just change the description so it reflects what it does do.

And my Pinata ego perk, etc. better still work!

rebtattoo
06-04-2014, 12:00 PM
The claim that the boosts is for veteran players is laughable, at best!

How many vets do you know in game that need xp or skills boosts? Seriously.

jimpugh
06-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Still believe the game needs to be more playable ......Like we Acquired 8 new servers for overflow...etc.

but after reading the 2.0 notes and the 1.60 notes I'm just going to hope for the best.... I know it will get rocky on reentry but as long as the ship gets home .....it will be just fine....just have to wait and see at this point....:confused:

Happy trails
panHeadJIM

Atticus Batman
06-04-2014, 03:20 PM
People, come on! We have known about the loot boosts being removed! I posted it back on the 15th and got ignored by all of you.

check out the boosts page. The one where you buy boosts and see how much time is remaining on them. There are 2 empty spaces at the bottom of each column now, and 2 new columns were added. They are blank but if you look close you can see that the names on them are: Scrip and Score. And loot boost seems to be missing.

And again on the 28th and people either ignored it or acted as if it was not a big deal.

Seeing as loot boosts are no longer on the boost screen, but scrip and salvage boosts are, I would say loot boost weekend may be endangered and we will now get salvage or scrip boost weekends.

Coyote Clive
07-05-2014, 03:21 PM
So sick of reinventing the Wheel .......When I can not get thru a Dark matter monitor event or War master with out critical.... error.... every time.....

this has been really bad since last patch ...... You want me to spend money.....Fix the game ....

24 hours was a decent deal; 2 hours is a joke and it is on you .....my hand is on my wallet....

Nuff Said watch your numbers...... oh AND do not buy that new car yet.....

Happy Trails
PanHeadJim

Hey maybe that's what Trion will sell in the bit store next!!!!! Server reliability boosts!!!!

Oh gads yes. I have NEVER had disconnect problems in the past but I can't stay in an incursion to save my life. And by that I mean I can make it through 1 in 4 or so without lagging out and having to reenter the game and losing 4-6 minutes of scoring. Getting kicked from the incursion when you're at 113K points is absolute BS. Not spending another dime in the bit store till this is fixed. And it's been three months since I bought anything Trion.