PDA

View Full Version : If you cant use chat...

Rush
04-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Your ******ed...=) there is no excuse PC side. Its very simple, So many people don't know how to use area chat or even where to look, its right in front of your face. the UI is fine. your just slow xD hehehe :P Love you all. But seriously. I've been trying to talk with people all morning in area, at the beging area and no one responds LOL..how dense can you be :P

cfStatic
04-03-2013, 05:48 AM
Wait, you mean there is a (horribly designed) chat system? I would've never thought that I'd be able to communicate through text to other players in an MMO of all things!

Quickly, stop the presses, we must inform EVERYONE!

Hazel
04-03-2013, 05:51 AM
I've actually had a text-chat conversation with someone in this game.

On the xbox :0

Lenko
04-03-2013, 05:56 AM
It's so small that nobody notices anything that appears in it.

(Thats what she said).

Saraya
04-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Let's try this again for the billionth time.

A) The game is not intended for socialites, go back to RIFT or WoW or God forbid Second Life
B) A chat already exists, and has multiple channels
C) Extensive communication in game via text is not necessary as all you need to achieve is supported by systems already in place :

-Voice in-game
-Voice out of game (third party programs via computer and smart phones)
-Matchmaking
-Local player search

There's a reason the chat box is out of the way....

I suspect between the above and the fact that people want to actually PLAY(or simply not talk to some guy rambling down a public stream), that also might be why it's quiet.

Quirky
04-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Wouldn't mind it if the In-Game Voice chat had a PTT Button or even just more options.. Otherwise all Social aspects they implemented (Voice / Chat) Are Terrible on the PC. May as well be non existent.

All you need to do is follow the Objective / Markers and your sorted. No "Teamwork" needed.

Skuggasveinn
04-03-2013, 06:24 AM
Me and a couple of friends did try to use the chat yesterday (on a PC), and according to the OP we must be really really dense since we never got a single thing out off this chat system.
We where on 3rd party voice chat (so it wasn't bothering us) and we did try to say something in regional chat, we joined up in a group and then we saw that we could switch to the "green" bubble, one would think that doing that would switch channels. But typing anything in there did nothing, and my friends never saw what I was typing and vice versa. We tried all the usual suspects /tell /g /group /w etc etc etc, and also with no prefix but all for nothing.

So maybe people aren't dense, maybe the chat is broken for some. (not all, since sometimes we saw someone trying to ask a question but never getting any response like the OP is dealing with)

WrrLor
04-03-2013, 06:35 AM
This.

Is there a chat tutorial somewhere? I looked in the "Intel" area but could not find it.

Would be nice to figure it out so we could chat with those not in our Third-Party Voice Coms.

Me and a couple of friends did try to use the chat yesterday (on a PC), and according to the OP we must be really really dense since we never got a single thing out off this chat system.
We where on 3rd party voice chat (so it wasn't bothering us) and we did try to say something in regional chat, we joined up in a group and then we saw that we could switch to the "green" bubble, one would think that doing that would switch channels. But typing anything in there did nothing, and my friends never saw what I was typing and vice versa. We tried all the usual suspects /tell /g /group /w etc etc etc, and also with no prefix but all for nothing.

So maybe people aren't dense, maybe the chat is broken for some. (not all, since sometimes we saw someone trying to ask a question but never getting any response like the OP is dealing with)

cfStatic
04-03-2013, 06:40 AM

You can cycle through chat channels by pressing X. They're only 'on' if you're apart of whatever constitutes that channel, ie, Group chat is only enabled if you're in a group.

Narwhal
04-03-2013, 06:41 AM

A) The game is not intended for socialites, go back to RIFT or WoW or God forbid Second Life
C) Extensive communication in game via text is not necessary as all you need to achieve is supported by systems already in place :

-Voice in-game
-Matchmaking
-Local player search

I suspect between the above and the fact that people want to actually PLAY(or simply not talk to some guy rambling down a public stream), that also might be why it's quiet.

What a load of Bulls***

A) if the game is not intended for socialities, when why make it an MMO? It's meant so please can communicate, and work together. The poor design of the chat, makes it's close to impossible.
B) the problem isn't that there is no chat, cause there is. The problem is that you cant see it, because it's small, and hides all text, as soon as you take one step forward in the game.
C) voice chat, only works in groups, doesn't it? how is it that you can communicate with everyone else, without an extensive text chat? and further more, on the PC as others have said, the voice chat is worthless. The only thing you can't hear is a robot that is ***** in a submarine. At least that's what it sounds like.

Corun
04-03-2013, 06:41 AM

You have no right for the "billionth time" to suggest or tell anyone to leave or stop playing the game. Stop trolling and being rude every time you disagree with another person's playstyle. The fact is that the game is online and multiplayer, and that in itself by definition is social. So stop acting naive about your rude posts.

Buruko
04-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Your ******ed...=) there is no excuse PC side. Its very simple, So many people don't know how to use area chat or even where to look, its right in front of your face. the UI is fine. your just slow xD hehehe :P Love you all. But seriously. I've been trying to talk with people all morning in area, at the beging area and no one responds LOL..how dense can you be :P

On the Xbox you start out with the chat set to 'EGO' and not 'Area' so when someone uses area chat you don't see it. Until you change that setting.

Dunno if that's the same for PC or not.

Rush
04-03-2013, 08:01 AM

-Voice in-game
-Matchmaking
-Local player search

This Is a social game u loner xD

Telonos
04-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Not to derail the thread by bringing it back on topic... ;) (just kidding), but just wanted to point out something I haven't seen mentioned yet. There are a lot of known chat issues that they're working on fixing right now, chief of which is some issues where chat no longer updates. Like, you can see system messages (ie, a friend logs in or a clan member logs in, etc), but no actual chat from other players. It's like the channel has been muted even though it hasn't been. I've also seen cases where a person posts something to chat, that person who posted it can see their message, but no one else can. So it feels like you're talking and no one is responding, when in fact no one but you can see your message.

Just a few things to keep in mind.

Strontium Dog
04-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Doesnt help that the chat is like one or two lines deep and if you want to see more, you cant do anything else. PC users arent used to staring at one or two lines of text.

If this was even BF or COD the chat would be better and visible. If it is an mmo then show the usual mmo items.

And please dont tell me or others what to do when its you that has it upside down :)

Bored Peon
04-03-2013, 08:25 AM
As bad as the chat system was designed the ignore system is ten times worse. So I guess I am kinda glad people are having a hard time using chat or just not using it. Even then it only mutes their chat not their weapons or vehicle horns. You would think in a game you can not report players that it would at least be able to block a player completely.

You really are not missing much in chat anyways. Majority of those using are only using to be the typical MMO chat trash you find in any general chat of any other MMO.

OOO
04-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Doesnt help that the chat is like one or two lines deep and if you want to see more, you cant do anything else. PC users arent used to staring at one or two lines of text. [...]

You can expand the chat window. In-game and in the lower left of your screen you notice two quick menus. One is the 'Quick Menu' and the other is the 'Quick Chat' -- in the chat menu you can expand the chat to 'Full Chat Window' which takes player control away from the game.... so obviously not the best solution, but it definitely makes it bigger.

Default keys for chat:

'z' - Quick Chat (menu)
'x' - Chat Channel (to change chat channel)
'enter' - To begin typing in chat

Munx
04-03-2013, 08:47 AM

the UI is very far from fine, reason people arnt responding is because is the text only appears for a few seconds for them before it disapers, not to mention even with chat window manually opened you can only have like 3 msgs in the windows before you have to scroll.

Rush
04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
the UI is very far from fine, reason people arnt responding is because is the text only appears for a few seconds for them before it disapers, not to mention even with chat window manually opened you can only have like 3 msgs in the windows before you have to scroll.

Whats wrong with scrolling?

Blackwolfe
04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Whats wrong with scrolling?

I forgot how to scroll the chat, lol. But if someone says something in chat I generally reply.

fishboy11
04-03-2013, 09:20 AM
chat is just plain bugged for some people i'm guessing,i know how to change channels and use it, but i have been in a clan for 2 days now and have never seen any clan chat and i cant type in clan chat, whatever i try to type doesnt showup, and area chat has to be bugged, i see maybe a line or 2 of text every few hours and thats usually at a major arkfall with 20-30 people

Rush
04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
chat is just plain bugged for some people i'm guessing,i know how to change channels and use it, but i have been in a clan for 2 days now and have never seen any clan chat and i cant type in clan chat, whatever i try to type doesnt showup, and area chat has to be bugged, i see maybe a line or 2 of text every few hours and thats usually at a major arkfall with 20-30 people

This, it Is bugged and they are working on it