PDA

View Full Version : Servers

Griffix8
06-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm not going to rant or anything I'm just curious. Are the servers going to be going down every so often for an hour at a time or is the wait time for the servers to get back online varying?

CM Kiwibird
06-05-2014, 04:38 PM
They're down currently for an update. :o

oDote
06-05-2014, 04:39 PM
So far the patch notes only has 1 update....

Big Jack Shepard
06-05-2014, 04:40 PM
So many things are so completely screwed up that they are scrambling to fix whatever they can fix whenever they can fix it.

There is no predicting anything right now.

PhantasieTrion
06-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Hi Griffix

First:

I don't anticipate any further server updates today (June 5 PT; though currently an update in progress)
We do have at least one update planned for tomorrow (for fixes currently in QA).

Then:

I think you're asking about the current server downtime, and what happens during that hour. Heres a very condensed summary (larger updates are more complicated but follow this general format)

Before the servers come down, we do a deploy to an secondary, unused "Bucket" on the live servers. A deploy is copying all the necessary files (servers, data, etc)
When the downtime starts, our Network Operations Center stops the server processes and other related things. From a player standpoint, everyone is disconnected.
We do a Database snapshot, etc to simplify restorations (if needed)
We swap the "buckets" on the live servers: the current live bucket becomes the backup bucket, and backup bucket (with the new servers) becomes live. This is to shorten the downtime.
We start the server processes, but keep the servers locked to everyone but our QA team.
QA runs a smoketest and confirms fixes
We unlock the servers so the players can login

ie, In the normal case, once we unlock the servers the downtime is complete.

Hope this helps!

konstantinov
06-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi Griffix

First:

I don't anticipate any further server updates today (June 5 PT; though currently an update in progress)
We do have at least one update planned for tomorrow (for fixes currently in QA).

Then:

I think you're asking about the current server downtime, and what happens during that hour. Heres a very condensed summary (larger updates are more complicated but follow this general format)

Before the servers come down, we do a deploy to an secondary, unused "Bucket" on the live servers. A deploy is copying all the necessary files (servers, data, etc)
When the downtime starts, our Network Operations Center stops the server processes and other related things. From a player standpoint, everyone is disconnected.
We swap the "buckets" on the live servers: the current live bucket becomes the backup bucket, and backup bucket (with the new servers) becomes live. This is to shorten the downtime.
We start the server processes, but keep the servers locked to everyone but our QA team.

Hope this helps!

Very informative thank you.

MJS
06-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Hi Griffix

First:

Then:

Hope this helps!

You know I think this the first time I have ever seen a straight to the point no BS answer. If there were more like this I think there would be a lot less stress and aggravation. For once very nice Trion.

Griffix8
06-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Hi Griffix

First:

Then:

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the update.

4ndreas
06-06-2014, 03:44 AM
You know I think this the first time I have ever seen a straight to the point no BS answer. If there were more like this I think there would be a lot less stress and aggravation. For once very nice Trion.

So very true :(

N3gativeCr33p
06-06-2014, 05:16 AM
You know I think this the first time I have ever seen a straight to the point no BS answer. If there were more like this I think there would be a lot less stress and aggravation.

Couldn't have said it much better myself!

Interesting side note: The NA/360 servers seemed to be fine yesterday afternoon/early evening when I got home from work.

Elastik Spastik
06-06-2014, 06:20 AM
So much lag EU PC.