PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE update the chatting interface

Remag Div
04-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Look, I get it, this game was designed with consoles in mind using voice chat, but the whole chat interface needs to be redone for the PC crowd. Just do the following and it would be so much better...

1. Make it bigger! Allow us to drag the corners and make it as big or as small as the user wants. As of now it's so damn small I usually miss what people type. Even worse for people with 2560x1440 resolutions.

2. Add tabs. Allow us to customize and add tabs on top so we can quickly switch between area, group, clan, etc.

3. Add more chats. Regional, Worldwide, Trading, Help, etc.

You guys did Rift, I'm sure you can figure it out... lol

Quirky
04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
You guys did Rift, I'm sure you can figure it out... lol

May be different Developers, Same Name. Honestly don't know how they came up with their idea for the Chat system.

Senel
04-03-2013, 07:20 AM
May be different Developers, Same Name. Honestly don't know how they came up with their idea for the Chat system.

Correct, different team made Defiance. Also i support a better chat interface.

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-03-2013, 07:24 AM
A better chat interface would be GREAT. Having it disappear all the time is ridiculous. I feel like a lot of people in DEFIANCE don't know how to use CHAT or something too, i'm talking to myself most of the time. What are the actual boundaries on the chat too? how do the areas of chat differentiate? is Mount Tam and Medora two different chat areas, or is it all one? shows as one big area on the map.

Remag Div
04-03-2013, 07:29 AM
A better chat interface would be GREAT. Having it disappear all the time is ridiculous.

Yeah, an option to always keep it solid and not go transparent would be great, too.

I feel like a lot of people in DEFIANCE don't know how to use CHAT or something too, i'm talking to myself most of the time. What are the actual boundaries on the chat too? how do the areas of chat differentiate? is Mount Tam and Medora two different chat areas, or is it all one? shows as one big area on the map.

Not sure of boundaries, but I'm pretty sure Mount Tam and Medora can't communicate with each other. That's why when you're off questing the chat is dead because there's no regional chat, just area.

Blackwolfe
04-03-2013, 07:38 AM
It's more like local chat. If you are not close enough you won't see it.

It might not be rift, it might not even be the same people that develop this game.. but a chat overhaul IS needed. As a matter of fact the entire UI does. As a comparison default skyrim ui -> skyui... that kind of overhaul.

Remag Div
04-03-2013, 07:42 AM
It's more like local chat. If you are not close enough you won't see it.

It might not be rift, it might not even be the same people that develop this game.. but a chat overhaul IS needed. As a matter of fact the entire UI does. As a comparison default skyrim ui -> skyui... that kind of overhaul.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the UI as whole, either. It works, but it's very clunky and unintuitive.

But... I'd be happy if they fixed the chat with my changes for now.

Ins4neN1ghtmare
04-03-2013, 07:46 AM
It's just weird standing next to roughly 50 people in the starting area, and I get one person say one thing. I'm sittin here feeling a little lonely, even with everyone questing together.

morpheusxp
04-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm glad to see that so many people agree that the chat system needs an overhaul. I created a very similar post and it's gotten about the same response but for some reason these posts keep getting buried. It won't be long till this thread is four or five pages in.

Yonan
04-03-2013, 08:41 AM
The entire interface needs to be optimized for PC, including chat. The gameplay is good, but based on the poor interface I can't recommend the game on PC to any mates.

morpheusxp
04-03-2013, 08:47 AM
The entire interface needs to be optimized for PC, including chat. The gameplay is good, but based on the poor interface I can't recommend the game on PC to any mates.
That's what I'm afraid is gonna happen. This game is gonna get a reputation as a bad console port and no one will wanna give it a shot. Even though all in all IMHO it's a pretty fun game. It just doesn't have some of the features that a lot of PC gamers have come to expect.

Saoirse
04-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Is it true that if you turn off the voice in settings then it mutes the typed text chat? Seen it being talked about but kinda hard to test seeing as I don't know if the reason I am not seeing chat is just because the area chat is small and no one is talking, or because I turned off voice and can't see it. Will test later I guess when I have someone to chat to.

Remag Div
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Well, there is this I didn't see before:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?15347-The-Day-of-Defiance-is-here-what-beautiful-baby-of-ours-it-is

Bullet point 4. So at least they acknowledge it and are working on it. lol