PDA

View Full Version : A list of issues

Tekrunner
06-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Here's a list of issues I have encountered over time, and that are not in the main list of known issues posted in the forum. I'm sorry if I haven't sent in-game bug reports, but I just don't like the interface for it and there's never any feedback on them. Most of these issues should be easy to reproduce. And in case that matters for some of them, I play on PC.
Some issues are not that easy to describe however, hope my not being a native english speaker doesn't get in the way too much.
And finally, some of these things were tested / encountered a month or more ago. While I have seen no trace of fixes for them in patch notes, some of them may in fact have been fixed.

Female character models have a few issues that have been present since the start of the game (I experience them on a human female, but I believe they all happen on irathians and casti as well):

If you are on a ladder, pressing the jump button twice makes you "fly up" the ladder, significantly faster than if you climb it the regular way.
Female models are significantly harder to stagger than males. Hulker attacks and Warmaster bombs will not stagger a female most of the time, whereas they stagger males every time.
Females have a lunge that is much more pronounced than males when meleeing (with a gun, not a sword). I know this has been dismissed months ago on a livestream, but (human) males do not lunge at all on most melee attacks. The annoying part of the lunging is that it also tilts the view upwards. When using a sword, both females and males lunge at every strike. It'd be nice if lunging didn't cause the view to tilt.

There are still problems with the Warmaster hanging from the ceiling. It seems like most cases of him hanging inside the wall have been fixed, though it still happens. The most common occurence now seems to be the WM trying to hang at an incorrect spot, which then causes it to drop, try to hang again, sometimes fall again and finally make it at the third try. What is annoying is that its back and arm will likely not be facing the correct direction when that happens, meaning spikes that were put down in advance are wasted, and people have to move before they can start shooting.
I have no idea what causes this to happen, but it shouldn't be hard for devs to witness it. I can't remember recently doing a WM where this didn't happen at least once.

Opportunist points do not work correctly on the Warmaster. Instead of granting the number of points shown in the score feed, each shot only ever grants 5 opportunist points.
Screenshot proof can be seen here: http://defiance.antilectual.com/showthread.php?tid=24&pid=139#pid139
These screenshots are a little old now, but I've seen it happen just yesterday.
It could possibly be an issue with some other enemies though, but it's impossible to test on other bosses, because of teamwork points.

VOT Afflictor are a strictly worse versions of VOT Infectors: same dot, hatch and bug damage, same number of bugs spawned per infection, but Afflictors don't spawn any bug on death, with no advantage to compensate.

Rarity / extra life damage bonuses on infectors only affect needle damage, not DoT, hatch or bug damage (this may have changed recently, haven't been able to test it again).

Cankers can put 3 active DoTs on a single target, whereas all other infectors (except for outbreakers) can only put 1. Canker DoT ticks twice as fast as all other DoT. What is problematic about this is that this information is not shown on weapon cards. So a new player is likely to be very confused, and someone who likes to understand how stuff works has no idea whether things are working as intended.
DoT on Outbreakers are... weird, and can't possibly be working as intended. They don't appear to have any limitation on the number of active DoTs per target, so with overcharge / reload bonuses it's possible to put 9 or 10 DoT on one target. Weirder still, out of every 3 DoT, the first one ticks 9 times (regular number of ticks for all infectors outside of cankers) and the other two 16 times (yes, I had "fun" testing that).

There is a rare issue with the south crystal of east San Francisco arkfalls. If you get within the minor arkfall boundary, the whole thing phases out and the crystal + all enemies disappear. The only way to complete it is to stay back and shoot things from a distance. I've had it happen with a Scrapper major, a friend had it with a Dark Matter one. It looks like a nearby conflict site phase is overriding the arkfall, but since it only happens rarely, I can't tell what triggers it. Here are some screenshots:

Location where this happens: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/468686875949189949/653FC40C868B414230D6FD16F0C142F6542E53BC/
When far enough: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/468686875949184943/259EAEF3F3F24212DEFEBCB724526D221CCE2C67/
After taking just a few steps forward: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/468686875949188162/1ED24F32F8B7635179EE28CDB1E6DAA3185927B0/

Mature Hellions (the ones where the symbiot doesn't detach) sometimes hover several meters above the ground: the symbiot may then remain inside the body even when it is supposed to be shooting at people from the top, which means that the only way to damage it is BMG or explosives

Had a bomber stuck inside a wall at the Bathhouse siege once: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/468686875949254320/927FBACB877CA164663F4EBB49486A0125329705/
I don't really play Volge siege often anymore, given their bad reward / effort ratio, so I don't know how often this happens or what causes it.

A blast pod regularly spawns underground at the Hellbug arkfall above Shondu's Consulate. The area around the crystal is not flat, so the game appears to be confused and spawn the enemy under- instead of above-ground.

The place where it happens: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/468686875949359811/E09F45CAA6AE4135487A6CC06394BBF05FBF6330/
The problematic enemy / wave (couldn't catch its name on a screenshot, but pretty sure it's a blast pod): http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/468686875949356798/578972948F2C28E3B0F75F7EAEED4907508E5E06/

It is apprently possible to damage enemies stuck that way with some weapons (namely surge bolters), but I've also seen some arkfalls stall completely because of it.

At major Scrapper arkfalls, during repair cycles, when the progenitor is about half way from an arm to another one, invisible explosions can throw people in the air for seemingly no reason. This is especially annoying if you're unlucky and don't have time to get back up before the core opens up and gets destroyed, as you may then get an assist instead of a kill. The explosion is similar to those caused by "arm stomps", even though the arm that was just repaired is not shown as being active.

When Monoliths jump to the other side of the battlefield, the neck should open in the direction it's currently facing, instead of the direction it was facing right after the jump, before it turned (which happens to be away from anyone who isn't familiar with this particular glitch, who now has to run all the way to the other side of the battlefield / monolith before they can do any damage to the neck).
Also when a Monolith jumps it often tries to land on an area where there's already something, and then spends some time "adjusting", which looks very strange and glitchy: the Monolith will rubberband a back and forth and up and down before settling in. You can almost hear the cogs grinding as the server does its best to merge the Monolith with the existing landscape. If a motivator is destroyed during that phase, the neck may not show as properly opened (fuzzy says not for everyone).

Monoliths also sometimes "fly up" a few meters when the neck opens, making the drive harder to hit (especially the lower segments of it).

0.0 reload sawed-offs are just wrong. I know Trick has said he didn't have a problem with them, but I'm not sure he's entirely aware of how they behave exactly. Sawed-off shotguns have a 2-stage reload animation: first the player character opens the barrel, then they put new shells in and close the barrels again. Reload bonuses only affect the second part of the animation, but not the first one, which lasts about a second. So a 0.1 reload sawed-off actually has a 1.1 total reload animation, which keeps it balanced. This all goes out the window when reload is exactly 0.0. The entire animation is skipped altogether, which means that you can fire something like 1.5 shots per second, out-DPSing any other weapon in the game (which makes no sense for a burst damage weapon). This is clearly not intended, especially as with -0.1 reload the first part of the reload is not skipped.

I have tested this one a long time ago, but I don't think it's ever been fixed. The last 2 bonuses of the run n gun synergy only work so long as you're not moving, which is very ironic given the name of the synergy.
Some screenshots to show what I mean:

This is the normal size of my reticle: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/902139784014110994/22F9D2D4589F1B7CCFE33A4D912D588BA4E6A546/
Once I drop to low health, my reticle gets visibly smaller: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/902139784014131259/FFFC81B8258FDBDEC4ABC6FBBD4C28EB44BE5027/
But if I move, it goes back to its normal size, even though my health is still low: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/902139784014123660/A106ABD8C896C517EE99335D2613A453E063CC80/

This issue makes the last 2 bonuses of run n gun pretty much useless in most cases.

Some PvP issues:

Cloak still makes enemies completely invisible. I know PvP is not Trion's priority, but come on, it's been like 6 months since we've been told this wasn't working as intended and would be fixed.
I know the tiering system is technically not a bug, but seriously, please get rid of it, I want to be able to play something else than Shadow Wars without having to rely on low level friends.
The perma-invisiblity glitch can still happen (as in, a player can become completely invisible. I don't know how, and I'm not sure that anyone does, but it happens from time to time to people I know and who didn't do anything out of the ordinary. All I know about it is that: it is most likely linked to cloak (have never seen it happen to someone using a different power; has never happened to me, and I never use cloak in PvP), it seems to start happening on spawn (whether at the start of the match or after a death), it doesn't seem possible to damage a person affected by it (even with explosives), and it stops on death. Players affected by it don't see themselves as invisible (so they're usually not aware of what's happening unless someone tells them), so at a guess I'd say that this is a client / server sync problem, where the server thinks the person is cloaked whereas the client doesn't, something like that.
Again this is technically not a bug, but sluggers are way too good in PvP. I have one that can one-shot kill anyone on a crit, and given the size of the slug / range of the weapon, I can shoot crits from 20m away easily. Sluggers are fine in PvE though, so instead of nerfing their damage, I'd suggest just making their projectile smaller, so as to make it impossible to score headshots from behind on an enemy who is rolling away...

The load time on entering arkbreaks is ridiculously long (35 - 40 seconds). In the past we've been told that this was caused by the server having to create a new instance, but this happens even when joining an existing instance.
It's possible that a delay was added intentionally to try and keep grouped players in the same instance when a lot of people join at the same time, but at the very least this delay needs to be removed when entering by joining a friend.

Northstar flares don't shoot their projectile where the reticle is pointing, but slightly to the left. Given how you really want to headshot with this weapon, and how that's already not easy with the arched projectile, this can be a fairly annoying problem.

About Northstar flares again, please force whoever came up the idea of that orange bonus to play with 1-mag weapons until they understand that recoil bonuses are useless on them (since you have plenty of time during the reload animation to readjust your aim): http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/468686875950335931/7916751DFED16C51ABAEFC17B351AC0A5C7962A2/
I don't know what this -0.20 recoil abomination (which can only happen on 1-mag pistols, mind you) can be replaced with, but pleaaaase, do something about it, it's just infuriating to get guns with it.

On the same order of ideas, recoil bonuses should be removed from sawed-offs. They're only (very) marginally useful on short-barrel sawed-offs, and completely useless on all others.

Accuracy bonus rolls are currently almost useless on shotguns, because they're implemented as flat bonuses. So a -0.5 accuracy bonus (highest accuracy bonus roll) on a shotgun with a 15 base accuracy is a 3% bonus, which is ridiculously low and impossible to even notice. These bonuses really need to be changed to be percentages. Flat bonuses make some sense when base accuracy values are consistent across the various weapons within a type (like on SMGs / ARs), but that's not the case on shotguns, where accuracy can go from 2 to 20.

Shotgun mag bonus rolls were changed to be flat values, which was a good thing. Mag mods still grant relative bonuses, which is a bad thing. Please fix.

In the same order of ideas, please also fix the mag mastery on semi-auto pistols. Right now I have an orange VOT Blaster with a x1.15 mag mastery, which gives it a whooping additional 3 bullets. This needs to be either something like x1.5 mag or a flat value.
Especially when the corresponding orange bonus is +24 mag (on a blaster, that's a 120% bonus).

Armor plate durability is very low on bosses (hellions, progenitors, matrons and warmasters). It should be brought in line with durability on other enemies.

While I'm here, some suggestions / requests:

Explain how resistances work exactly, and communicate that somehow to players in the game. Knowing whether the nano resistance on your shield is 20% or 80% is kind of a big deal.
Increase arkforge drops in T4 boxes, it makes no sense that the best source of arkforge is T2 boxes (especially with T4 now requiring a little bits investment to be accessible). I'm tired of filling my inventory with green crap and my claims with useless grenades / stims every time my keycodes are full.
Bring back the old inventory compare. Seriously, the current system is absolutely awful and basically unusable as soon as you have more than a handful of favorite items.
Please give us the formula used to scale weapons and shields with EGO. Testing it the first time was annoying already, I'm not sure anyone feels like doing it again since it was changed.
Please give us the leech percentage on syphon. I have painstakingly tested it to be about 5% of bullet damage on HP, but 1) accurate measurements are impossible, so this value can very well be wrong and 2) since the game has no shielded enemy that has as many HP and is as "docile" as the San Quentin hulker, I can't think of a way to test leech on shield with any kind of accuracy.

As one can probably tell, I've spend quite a bit of time typing all this, so I hope this can useful to someone at Trion...

Bonehead
06-14-2014, 02:26 AM
Spot on Tek. Thanks for the time and effort it took to put all that together.

Well done.

Chump Norris
06-14-2014, 02:40 AM
Increase arkforge drops in T4 boxes, it makes no sense that the best source of arkforge is T2 boxes (especially with T4 now requiring a little bits investment to be accessible). I'm tired of filling my inventory with green crap and my claims with useless grenades / stims every time my keycodes are full.

Man suggestions like this worry me...I feel like they would either remove the chance at 50 AF from T2 or just remove the chance at AF all together. Still a good post that hit on a lot of issues.

JustMe
06-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Good list, i hope the staff read it and take some actions in at least few, good job

SxB_xPUDDYTATx
06-14-2014, 03:42 AM
this was a very well thought out post Tek, nice work!!!

Man suggestions like this worry me...I feel like they would either remove the chance at 50 AF from T2 or just remove the chance at AF all together. Still a good post that hit on a lot of issues.

i have to agree with chump on this point though. trion has a proven track record on things like this. the oldest example i can think of off hand is the frc saw. it was the most cherished weapon in the game at one time, but it was way more powerful than any other weapon in the lmg class. instead of buffing all the others (i know one got a small buff, cant remember which) trion nerfed the crap out of the saw. i could easily see this being the fix for tier 4 boxes. insted of granting more arkforge, or more frequent drops. i could only see them lowering the amounts/rates in the tier 2 and 3 boxes, if they did anything

eaglesurfing
06-14-2014, 04:24 AM
It is a shame when they give you so many issues that you have to spend that much time on a post.

MadMoxxiFavGun
06-14-2014, 04:41 AM
im sure i can make a similar post with all the bugs and issues you didnt cover. will i? nope.

Fuzzy
06-14-2014, 04:49 AM
this was a very well thought out post Tek, nice work!!!

i have to agree with chump on this point though. trion has a proven track record on things like this. the oldest example i can think of off hand is the frc saw. it was the most cherished weapon in the game at one time, but it was way more powerful than any other weapon in the lmg class. instead of buffing all the others (i know one got a small buff, cant remember which) trion nerfed the crap out of the saw. i could easily see this being the fix for tier 4 boxes. insted of granting more arkforge, or more frequent drops. i could only see them lowering the amounts/rates in the tier 2 and 3 boxes, if they did anything

I can see that you're worried.
We tested the AF drop rate from T2 boxes (got to a sample size of about 1.000 boxes). Here's what we found out:

T2s

http://i.imgur.com/DgiTCmA.png

T3s

http://i.imgur.com/2dWE8Xm.png

We have even less T4s, so not a big enough of a sample size to have a definite answer. But as it seems, AF drop rate seems to be the same in all boxes which is just... well, it leaves me speechless.
You can get a bit more 50 AF from T3/T4 boxes than from T2 boxes, but that difference is so small, it doesn't change what everyone pretty much knew.
The best way to gain AF is from T2 boxes.
As much as I love this, I hate, just like Tek, filling up my inventory with green crap. What they should do is up the chance of AF drops in T3s/T4s significantly. Let them drop less 20 AF but more 50 AF instead.
Even the difference between T2s and T3s is huge.
You get almost 3 times (!!) the AF per key in a T2 box than in a T3 box.

Other than that, I have to agree with Tek.
To the thing with the Monolith: Not everyone has the problem with his neck now showing. People who port into the endboss when he's already bugging see the Tachmag Drive as normal.

To the phasing out AF at Mutant District:
I've seen this happening more and more frequently since the F2P-patch. I've got another theory which was dismissed as impossible (rather unlikely :P Since I have no idea how the shard system works).
The first thing I do when there's a Dark Matter Major at that place, I drive there to see if the crystal is bugged out.
Since I saw it more requently since the F2P-Patch, my guess is that it either has something to do with the amount of players or the amount of shards (my guess was there's another Arkfall at the same spot in another shard and this would cause the bugging. Some said that couldn't be true 'cause of how shards are working independently from one another).

Blast Pod at Shondu's getting stuck:
It's definitely a Blast Pod but sometimes, a Skitterling gets stuck at the minor directly in front of Shondu's Consulat as well (where the Monarch spawns). (http://i.imgur.com/7n6mko3.jpg).

@Zagger: (totally how it's supposed to work!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChQY9GplKi0&feature=youtu.be

@Northstar: hHad my fair share also... I already threw away three of them: http://i.imgur.com/Hb1yRz7.png

Well, just my five cents...

CM Kiwibird
06-14-2014, 01:07 PM
This is amazing, Tekrunner, thank you for sharing! I'll get to adding these to the known issues thread. :o

Zealous
06-14-2014, 02:44 PM
I don't remember where it was, but a major arkfall stalled out two days ago because a skitterling got stuck in a hill near the arkfall. There's another spot where the ground is flat that stalls out fairly often, I believe it's in the area above the bridge to San Fran. No enemies or red dots show up on the map, it just seems to stall for no good reason. I've seen it happen three times this week. I'm not sure how you fix it, but it needs to be fixed. Perhaps instead of letting the timer go out have all the minor arkfalls automatically blow up at 5 minutes left. If there are no problems the major arkfall is done before then anyway, and if it DOES stall it doesn't turn out to be a 100% waste of time.

BlackTalons
06-14-2014, 06:07 PM
This list is excellent man! You nailed most of the issues that give me headaches. I hope Trion gets working on this as soon as possible. Some major issues that IMHO could also be adressed are:

-Regeneration perk should NOT work if the shield is not up, it should only enhance normal regeneration. I'm not sure if the regen shields work in the same way, but if so, it should be equally treated.

-General shield balance is in shambles. Resparks can completely recharge thrice in the time an Ironclad does, yet these don't even have twice the capacity of the Resparks. Also, in combination with the Regeneration perk, no shield roll can be compared with a Regenerator shield. 10% recharge shields should be buffed to 20% so they recharge in 5 secs total, and the delay spans of 6 and 9.6 seconds shields should be decreased to 5 and 7 too to even begin to compete with Resparks.

- Perks, rolls and synergies with self revive procs: Nobody likes to use them and with reason. Self revive means that you lost, yet have a second chance. Nobody plans to have to use it in battle, they are to be avoided at all costs. Consolation prizes in the form of extra damage or whatever are of no use for anyone. Revive other perks have a similar issue, since revive other is seldom used and not part of a normal battle (except maybe One for all, Samaritan and Combat medic, the last two could easily be merged into one).

- We need hitpoints information, as well as general recoil information and actual infector damage stats.

- RL ammo is really scarce, which hurts their widespread use in PvE. 25-30 max ammo for them would be much appreciated

- Pulsars and Tachmag pulsars have minimal to none amounts of both bloom and recoil, making them the DPS beast they are right now.

- Infectors should only shoot tracker rounds when aiming.

- RL should have as much bloom and accuracy as a LMG when moving or jumping.

Also, the Shadowed strike perk seems to supposed to be used with a cloak system that breaks when one shoots, hence applying the extra damage for the first shot when uncloaking to shoot. As far as I know this is not the case, but since I don't currently use cloak I can't be sure yet.

Kellmourn
06-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks Tekrunner for the time and the analysis!

yue
06-14-2014, 11:05 PM
The only thing I got from this is cry cry cry . Nerf this because it's in fair . And the fact that we can get forge from t2 boxes . So that'll get nerfed soon . Thanx for that :( but I will give credit it was put together well . But it's still a cry festival . Haven't they nerfed enough ? Don't you feel the game has actually gotten better as of recent ? Just leave it alone . Yeah there are a few issues with certain events in the game and thank you for addressing those but LEAVE THE DAM GUNS ALONE

WhiteF8ng
06-15-2014, 05:54 AM
We have even less T4s, so not a big enough of a sample size to have a definite answer. But as it seems, AF drop rate seems to be the same in all boxes which is just... well, it leaves me speechless.
You can get a bit more 50 AF from T3/T4 boxes than from T2 boxes, but that difference is so small, it doesn't change what everyone pretty much knew.
The best way to gain AF is from T2 boxes.
As much as I love this, I hate, just like Tek, filling up my inventory with green crap. What they should do is up the chance of AF drops in T3s/T4s significantly. Let them drop less 20 AF but more 50 AF instead.
Even the difference between T2s and T3s is huge.
You get almost 3 times (!!) the AF per key in a T2 box than in a T3 box.

I'm working on T4's but so much Arkforge outta the T2's... I tried to burn a mil on 'em. Ran outta salvage of all things...

The only thing I got from this is cry cry cry . Nerf this because it's in fair . And the fact that we can get forge from t2 boxes . So that'll get nerfed soon . Thanx for that :( but I will give credit it was put together well . But it's still a cry festival . Haven't they nerfed enough ? Don't you feel the game has actually gotten better as of recent ? Just leave it alone . Yeah there are a few issues with certain events in the game and thank you for addressing those but LEAVE THE DAM GUNS ALONE

Honestly yue, veteran to veteran, I see the point you're trying to make. But when you post it like that, it makes a different kind of point entirely.