PDA

View Full Version : We Failed..

PseudoCool
06-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Ladies and Gents..

Today.. is officially a sad day. With more than 40 people around, we FAILED a DM Monolith Arkfall, by TIMING OUT.

This is an unacceptable situation.

This should not happen.. EVER.

Our problem was simple: We had too many new players that didn't know what they where doing. We had groups of people popping the ego boost poles with DM troops right next to them, getting entire areas of people wiped out. We had people shooting at motivators that where already gone (gray'd out). We had people rezzing in the middle of the artillery field and dying like flies on a bug zapper.

We, as experienced players.. need to start taking the F2P people that have just arrived and who WANT to learn (and yes, I've already ran into a few who don't) and we need to TEACH them. There is no arkfall in this game that is not beatable with proper knowledge.

To the new F2P people.. you know who you are *grins*.. listen to open/area/zone chat. Pay attention to what the experienced players are telling you and APPLY it. If you do, you will have a much better gaming experience in Defiance.

Consider this your PSA from PseudoCool for the day :)

OttawaREDBLACKS
06-14-2014, 03:41 PM
not bad atleast you made it to the final part. took 22 minutes earlier on the xbox 360 na to finish the 5 shards which if people split up would take at most 8 minutes to do.

AmnesiaHaze
06-14-2014, 03:43 PM
wow sounds funny

PseudoCool
06-14-2014, 03:46 PM
wow sounds funny

I can assure your.. it was NOT funny. I had over a 220K score without the monolith dropping, and because it timed out, NO ONE got anything. I wouldn't call that funny, or fun, or worthwhile.

Zealous
06-14-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm rushing to get everything done before 360 goes F2P, I know it's going to be ****ing awful, especially considering how bad anything MP is on 360 in general. Considering how often it lags/crit errors I'm not convinced the servers can even handle the influx of people in the first place...

tetiona
06-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Ladies and Gents..

Today.. is officially a sad day. With more than 40 people around, we FAILED a DM Monolith Arkfall, by TIMING OUT.

This is an unacceptable situation.

This should not happen.. EVER.

Our problem was simple: We had too many new players that didn't know what they where doing. We had groups of people popping the ego boost poles with DM troops right next to them, getting entire areas of people wiped out. We had people shooting at motivators that where already gone (gray'd out). We had people rezzing in the middle of the artillery field and dying like flies on a bug zapper.

We, as experienced players.. need to start taking the F2P people that have just arrived and who WANT to learn (and yes, I've already ran into a few who don't) and we need to TEACH them. There is no arkfall in this game that is not beatable with proper knowledge.

To the new F2P people.. you know who you are *grins*.. listen to open/area/zone chat. Pay attention to what the experienced players are telling you and APPLY it. If you do, you will have a much better gaming experience in Defiance.

Consider this your PSA from PseudoCool for the day :)

One reason that damage text should be on by default. Perhaps then they will stop shooting at it in the air, or actually hit the spots that do damage when it is on the ground.

OttawaREDBLACKS
06-14-2014, 04:09 PM
One reason that damage text should be on by default. Perhaps then they will stop shooting at it in the air, or actually hit the spots that do damage when it is on the ground.

that patch might potentially break the game because of all the people starting to actually damage things.

Deunan
06-14-2014, 05:08 PM
I can assure your.. it was NOT funny. I had over a 220K score without the monolith dropping, and because it timed out, NO ONE got anything. I wouldn't call that funny, or fun, or worthwhile.You still get key codes and ark forge for your score. I was there and had over 300k and received mine. You just get fewer of them because of no kill shot or completion bonus and, of course, you get no loot drops.

I suspected it would end in a fail when the group couldn't even expose a motivator on the Monolith's first landing. >^^<

PseudoCool
06-14-2014, 05:19 PM
You still get key codes and ark forge for your score. I was there and had over 300k and received mine. You just get fewer of them because of no kill shot or completion bonus and, of course, you get no loot drops.

I suspected it would end in a fail when the group couldn't even expose a motivator on the Monolith's first landing. >^^<

Must have been bugged for the rewards then, because I didn't get anything at all, not even the pop up window at the end. Maybe you have a different perspective on how they could have done it differently, since you where at the one I was referring to. I'm sure the F2P-Newbies would like more than just my perspective.

moof
06-14-2014, 06:34 PM
O.o ye gods,i feel sorry for ya dude that something like that happened to you

even the first monolith holding arkfall i was at,i could tell immediatly what to do

but then again i am a deadspace fanatic,and that game is quite similar in terms of function to defiance,abit slower paced mind you but the mechanics are very similar...even down to the final boss battle on dead space three with the giant necromorph moon

Nythain
06-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Wow. Coming from a f2p newbie... I didn't think that event was failable. Really, it's pretty easy to figure out. I feel for ya. Since I just started, I've only been in a few monolith fights, but all of them were successful.

Deunan
06-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Must have been bugged for the rewards then, because I didn't get anything at all, not even the pop up window at the end. Maybe you have a different perspective on how they could have done it differently, since you where at the one I was referring to. I'm sure the F2P-Newbies would like more than just my perspective.You don't get any popup. You get a one line message (same as if you cash out from an event). You can also check in your rewards channel. Arkforge doesn't have a text chat icon so when you see a number for a reward with no icon that would be your Arkforge.

Basically they have no idea how the mechanics for the Monolith fight work.

1. Focus on one covered motivator. It's understandable having divided damage at the start but it usually becomes apparent which one is taking the most damage if players take the time to check after about 10 seconds.

2. Wasting active EGO boost panels unfortunately has always been a problem. That won't change but we can at least separate the players that don't know any better from the chuckleheads that make a game out of going from one active panel to the next setting them all off just to troll the Arkfall.

3. Setting off EGO boost panels with Dark Matter in the effect radius isn't something new. Players were doing it before free-to-play and it was worse because they were doing it before they scaled down the number of snipers spawning next to them. Players were doing it just to wh*re points on the Monolith even though they knew they were f**king over all the other players in the vicinity.

The difference is that more of use were aware enough of our environment to either move away or take them down (I used flash grenades to keep them off balance while killing them). In general too many players are oblivious to EGO's warning that Dark Matter are landing while the Monolith is on the ground. They have to deal with them first or at least move away from them or put one of the barriers between themselves and the Dark Matter troopers.

4. Rezzing players in the middle of a field of mortar fire is not intelligent unless you have BMG support. Hopping around like a bunny rabbit while on fire instead of rolling is also not intelligent. >^^<

Bonehead
06-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Hopping around like a bunny rabbit while on fire instead of rolling is also not intelligent. >^^<

But it is hilarious though.

Etaew
06-15-2014, 04:38 AM
I had been outlining a Monolith guide for a while, I got motivated by this thread and started to fill it out more: http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=231

Let me know of anything else I should include in it.

Tekrunner
06-15-2014, 05:23 AM
Hey Etaew, thanks for writing that guide, here are some suggestions for it:

You could state in the first part that, as all other arkfalls, having people spread out over the different minors will make the event advance faster than having a single large mob that completes each minor sequentially.
You could be a little more specific when you talk about the different segments on the neck, and say that people should move their reticle up and down regularly to check which segment currently has the most HP.
" It is also a good idea to wait for a good moment where you can deal large amounts of damage to enemies or the monolith." You could be more specific here too, and say that it's usually a good idea to try and save a boost for when the neck is exposed.
Being in a vehicle is not the only way to not get thrown up in the air by the final explosions. Having an EGO boost active, standing behind a barrier or a crystal will also prevent it.
You should probably talk about the monolith jumping across the battlefield after a certain time. You should mention that 1) the amount of time before it does so appears to be reduced after each landing, so there's a lot of time for the first two motivators, but less afterwards, 2) the neck opens in the direction it was facing right after the jump, which is usually away from the center of the battlefield (so either reposition so that you can hit the drive, or make sure you have a green boost ready so as to be able to run to a better position quickly), 3) if a motivator is not destroyed quickly enough after the jump, the monolith will fly away without exposing the drive, so don't hesitate to use green buffs to destroy a motivator if progress is too slow.

moof
06-15-2014, 06:18 AM
can we do feasible here?i know what to do during a dm arkfall..but i also like following the crowd,as many others do

most of the time (speaking from incursions) there is a sort of swarm intellect going on,and once the swarm gets going,it feels better to be a part of it then to be left on yer own

Etaew
06-15-2014, 06:26 AM
Hey Etaew, thanks for writing that guide, here are some suggestions for it:

Thanks for the list. I've added them to the guide. It needs a further pass to make it presentable and a few more sections expanding.

I also found the tekrunner user on DD and flagged him as a Mod, you should now be able to edit most pages on the site. If you do edit a page, leave a comment on that page saying what you changed :D

Ollam
06-15-2014, 06:56 AM
I had been outlining a Monolith guide for a while, I got motivated by this thread and started to fill it out more: http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=231

Let me know of anything else I should include in it.

Aren't we supposed to expose the motivators and then shoot them. . . :p

Just sayin, getting motivated around a monolith could end up bad for you Etaew

Etaew
06-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Aren't we supposed to expose the motivators and then shoot them. . . :p

Just sayin, getting motivated around a monolith could end up bad for you Etaew

lol :p andineed10char

3rdpig
06-15-2014, 09:50 AM
can we do feasible here?i know what to do during a dm arkfall..but i also like following the crowd,as many others do

most of the time (speaking from incursions) there is a sort of swarm intellect going on,and once the swarm gets going,it feels better to be a part of it then to be left on yer own

So it feels better to be a stupid lemming than an intelligent loner? Funny, it was always the other way around for me. But, to each his own. I'll just sit back and laugh as the crowd runs off a cliff.

Deunan
06-15-2014, 10:54 AM

Let me know of anything else I should include in it.As I noted before, eventually Dark Matter Enforcers and Monitors will drop down simultaneously with the Monolith landing. This is when one can start to see a lot of players getting downed. Players should not ignore them. They should (a) move to a position that either puts a barrier between them and the Dark Matter or far from them or (b) engage them. Eventually there may come a time when the only vulnerable motivator will place all players in the line of fire for the Enforcers and Monitors in which case some players have to engage them. If I see only a handfull of players doing it I'll switch to BMG and flashbang grenade support so they can tank them until the Monolith takes off and more players can arrive for support.

Dark Matter Snipers will arrive at various parts of the Arkfall cloaked and start sniping players. They are always positioned right next to an EGO boost panel so players need to be careful to make sure there are no cloaked Snipers there before activating an EGO boost panel. At TL 10 they can one or two shot most players so they also should not be ignored and, if EGO boosted they will one shot every player they hit. They will never activate a panel on their own so there is absolutely no excuse for boosting them. Kill them first or move away and live without the EGO boost. Don't be a d**chebag and activate the panel and run off to shoot the Monolith.

Deunan
06-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Apparently thanks to dynamic scaling there can be a huge variance in the difficulty of the Monolith fight. The players at the one I just finished were no better than the ones at the other one and arguably much worse but the Monolith was scaled so low that it died on the first exposure of its tachmag drive.

Gigibop
06-15-2014, 11:31 PM
I have taken 12 members from my clan and done a monolith, it's as if you don't have a decent clan that can back you up.

Deunan
07-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Bump. Had a Major Dark Matter Arkfall time out because the majority of players were completely clueless about the concept of targeting the same motivator. Come on folks this isn't rocket science. It's common sense. >^^<

konstantinov
07-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Bump. Had a Major Dark Matter Arkfall time out because the majority of players were completely clueless about the concept of targeting the same motivator. Come on folks this isn't rocket science. It's common sense. >^^<

Same thing happened today on ps3 NA. Got there with 5 mins left and he was only down 1/4 of health. It was only a threat level 6 when I got there. Super discouraging.

Yrkul
07-09-2014, 08:55 PM
We had 4-6 minutes to spare the times I attended the last week. People are using infectors, BMGs and low crit weapons often. A few times, however, we drop it in 10-15 minutes. Usually when there are plenty of snipers and SMG/AR/LMG users present. And focused fire helps, of course.

Heartlight
07-09-2014, 09:00 PM
To provide a more uplifting point of view - because, you know, I'm annoying that way :) - I was at a monolith and there was only 6 of us. We slowly came together during the last minors and raced off to the monolith together. I was really worried at first just because of the amount of dm's that fall during the last phases but everyone worked their butt off and victory was super sweet :)

Oh, I should mention that this in no way takes away from your point, PseudoCool... I just wanted to give a rah rah yeah, it can work and it's great when it does moment :)

crazyged
07-10-2014, 02:19 AM
Most arkfalls have seemed piss easy when there are few players. The TL doesn't seem to be very high.

Very easy to get the kill shot!

TheOz
07-10-2014, 04:08 AM
Same thing happened today on ps3 NA. Got there with 5 mins left and he was only down 1/4 of health. It was only a threat level 6 when I got there. Super discouraging.

I bet they had one of those mass discos where like 75% of the people there get kicked and most said eff it and didn't sign back in due to sheer frustration.

Hell, a level 6 DM you or I could do solo Kon.

cyguy
07-10-2014, 04:29 AM
After reading the OP I had to laugh. I did a Monolith Arkfall a week after it went free to play and the same thing happened. Between the monolith and people powering up the dark matter troops, the entire field of players were constantly getting wiped out. At first I assumed someone was super nerfed until I realized the large amount of people in the 200-400 EGO range. It was the first time I've actually seen it time out without victory, however, I did manage to come away with 24 revives to get rid of that pesky last arkfall pursuit. :)

Always has to be a bright side to everything.

alred
07-10-2014, 04:56 AM
*Shrugs* So what? There will be other DM Monolith arkfalls. As it's an open event, you got to take the good with the bad.

squidgod2000
07-10-2014, 05:36 AM
We had groups of people popping the ego boost poles with DM troops right next to them

That drives me crazy. Not just buffing the DM so they can one-shot people, but wasting the boost that's meant to be used on the monolith.

Whoa...careful there cowboy. People are supposed to play the game the way they want to. We can't have vets running around telling them that they're doing something wrong or trying to teach them how the encounters work. That'll hurt their feelings and they may not stick around long enough to spend money in the cash shop.

N3gativeCr33p
07-10-2014, 05:38 AM
Whoa...careful there cowboy. People are supposed to play the game the way they want to. We can't have vets running around telling them that they're doing something wrong. That'll hurt their feelings and they may not stick around long enough to spend money in the cash shop.

http://s9.favim.com/orig/131017/memes-meme-pictures-Favim.com-999669.jpg

PseudoCool
07-10-2014, 05:46 AM
*snip*
Whoa...careful there cowboy. People are supposed to play the game the way they want to. We can't have vets running around telling them that they're doing something wrong or trying to teach them how the encounters work. That'll hurt their feelings and they may not stick around long enough to spend money in the cash shop.

As I said in my OP, teach people who WANT to learn. I've met many who DO, and those are the ones I teach. I don't stand in open chat and blast on the uneducated people generally. I have found that shooting a rad-nano gun at their feet tends to get their attention so you can explain it to them.. most generally have an ah-ha moment and join the plan. You take what you can get I guess :)

TheOz
07-10-2014, 01:26 PM
? 9

rebtattoo
07-10-2014, 01:31 PM
That drives me crazy. Not just buffing the DM so they can one-shot people, but wasting the boost that's meant to be used on the monolith.

Whoa...careful there cowboy. People are supposed to play the game the way they want to. We can't have vets running around telling them that they're doing something wrong or trying to teach them how the encounters work. That'll hurt their feelings and they may not stick around long enough to spend money in the cash shop.This isn't exactly true either.

According to the actions from The Company, people are supposed to play the game the way Mr. ******* wants it played...

UncleSpider77
07-10-2014, 01:46 PM
I volunteer to teach players who want to learn on xbox N.A. It's what I do when I recruit someone anyhow.
I also direct every recruit to : https://www.youtube.com/user/combo65
Combo vids = Better Defi players

Not to be a sneaky recruiter on a thread not about it, but my clan's got more than a few teachers and I wouldn't be half the player I am if I'd never met them. Also, CRIXDA from Dawn Patrol was the first guy I met in game who taught me a thing or two about a thing or two. Mad respect for those guys n' gals.