PDA

View Full Version : Patch 2.008: Players will only change worlds when logging in or leaving an instance.

hiban
06-16-2014, 05:26 PM
"Players will only change worlds when logging in or leaving an instance."

Could you clarify this?

What will happen if you want to group with clanmates which are in a different phase?

Does this mean that the "Go to friend" option will be removed?

PhantasieTrion
06-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi Hiban.

What will happen if you want to group with clanmates which are in a different phase?

Nothing changed here. You can still group with your clanmates.

Does this mean that the "Go to friend" option will be removed?

Nothing changed here. "Go to friend" is is not being removed.

"Players will only change worlds when logging in or leaving an instance."
Could you clarify this?

Thats just further information on when a player may change servers, since in Defiance it happens behind the scenes (Players don't always have direct control over which server they are on).

Here are some specifics on that change:

Defiance has multiple game servers (worlds) running, of course.
There are minimum, ideal and max numbers of players per game server.
With this change, when a player logs in (or leaves an instance) we first get a list of all game servers with < the minimum number of players on it.
From that list, we take the game server with the most players on it.
We route the player to that server.
ie - Our goal is to fill up the highest population server which has < the minimum threshold on it first. Then we move onto the next server with < the minimum threshold.

There are some other things which may override or influence this behavior, for example, if you are in a clan you will more likely be routed to a game server with your clan mates, or if all servers are above the minimum a different heuristic is used.

Deunan
Sounds like you won't be able to go to anyone on your friends list if they aren't in your world phase. I wonder if it also means you won't be able to go to leader of your group when they are inside a Arkfall Wreckage and the queue is capped. That would be hilarious. No more zerging the Warmaster.

ConcreteSnake
This will kill the whole MMO aspect if you can't play with your friends in the open world

Deunan
06-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Thats just further information on when a player may change servers, since in Defiance it happens behind the scenes (Players don't always have direct control over which server they are on).Out of curiosity what else causes players to change phases? I know being in missions can cause a player to enter a different phase because going to mission locations at conflict sites like Sutro Tower would create a different instance the location (with a Monolith).

Odessa
06-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Hello, PT! Will this change the issue where incursions sometimes go out of phase? For instance, I will run through the emergencies and then drive to Diablo for the siege. I enter the yellow circle but do not see any other player, nor do I see the incursion starting point. If I am with a friend or clanmate I can group and travel to them. Otherwise I miss out on the Incursion.

I definitely think this should be clarified in the notes, as I have already had several people state they thought this meant no more playing with friends in different phases. I actually went through to find if someone asked this before creating my own.

Lucent
06-17-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm still confused at what is changing for us that we will be able to tell.

PhantasieTrion
06-17-2014, 10:27 AM
@Odessa
Ok, Ill talk to Morganna to update the patch note so its less confusing.
This change should not have anything to do with incursions/phases.

@Lucent
This specific note is really something that should be transparent to players. Its one piece of the set of optimizations going in to address lag.
Since we want to always list every public facing change we make to avoid accusations of stealth changes, this was included.

Odessa
06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
@Odessa
Ok, Ill talk to Morganna to update the patch note so its less confusing.
This change should not have anything to do with incursions/phases.

@Lucent
This specific note is really something that should be transparent to players. Its one piece of the set of optimizations going in to address lag.
Since we want to always list every public facing change we make to avoid accusations of stealth changes, this was included.

Awesome! Thank you, Phantasie. I know many of us cannot begin to thank you for the additional notes explaining the changes. While it may take a few extra questions to clarify, It's great to walk away knowing that the behind the scenes tweaks are continuously being done to improve the player experience.

Amack
06-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Better late than never is what I always say.
Thanks Phantasie, I've been pushing for them to work on this for awhile.