PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new "f2p" players

Grimace
06-17-2014, 08:33 AM
just as a courtesy, could the new players actually read any information about the game before coming to the forums before complaining? seriously how hard is it to open threads and read?, the ammount of repeated information that has sprung up in the last few days is stupid, when i was new i tried to learn about the game and read all i could about the mechanics, these new players don't seem to understand the basic concepts of the f2p model let alone playing the game itself

sorry but the ignorance of google is rampart.....on a internet website, which most people used google to find.... it perplexes me, for the "master race" to ask so may stupid questions that have been answered 1279043587094385 times, can't wait for console f2p to hit, x10 the mmount of questions and anger from people who can't understand that it's all been explained before again...and again

sorry for my rant, but this is ridiculous, as it is now, can you imagine how it will be once xbox and ps3 have free access?

my point being can we inform new players in the game/ forums to actually look instead of asking for a silver platter, i mean being a day 5 player (s1ep 3 when seiges where first introduced) we got nothing handed to us, i've still got pursuits that bugged that need completing, but no free to "play" must mean everything free such an ignorant idea,

can we make a general guide to new players that is a must read before posting? it would help kill off the repeated threads and leave room for new topics,

LatencyRemix
06-17-2014, 08:46 AM
I agree with most off what you say to a point, but you have to realize most F2P people are stupid. Any paid game that goea F2P will have this and there have already been a few new tops started that fall into the "im new on F2P so gimme gimme im to lazy to play the game for 5 minutes and learn" and then you get the 1% that actually goto forums or wiki to read up on patch notes, known bugs etc.

All thats changed now is that everyone has to sift through all the new topics and ignore the stupidity that's been reposted after already being discussed and closed the week before they started.

Good lord if wow went f2p the amount of forum load they would have would slow down the entirety of the interwebs ;P

Grimace
06-17-2014, 08:52 AM
hahahaha, yeah what you say is true, though how i wish it wasn't so,

and lol blizz make so much money that if they turned wow (vanilla not exp) f2p it wouldn't make much difference now if the whole lot (5 expansions now or is it still 4?) went f2p well thats a diff story

Iulius
06-17-2014, 08:57 AM
The OP post and second post reported for injurious language and ofence to others players. As F2P player I don't feel obligated to accept yours insults.

Grimace
06-17-2014, 09:20 AM
just as a query, what part did you find offensive?, i was simply stating my desire for new players to do some research before complaining in the forums... however this offended you i apologise but it is not my concern for your feelings, i did not use profanity, i think your just complaining for that fact that someone has asked you to spend 5 minutes reading what others have asked before asking the same question

though i know we all need our self entitled rant, what exaclty was the purpose of stating that you "reported" the 2 posters? you've made 1 post...ever.... and in what form was my post injurious?? define: causing or likely to cause damage or harm.

...is reading an allergen now...? is this toxic to people, learning to read.... wow well, report me all you like for asking for common sense I applaud you for it,

now when you ask what does this do, how do i do this, please don't be offended when i ignore you as your comment was not in any sense useful and could be considered slanderous (with manipulation), I emplore you to add something useful i.,e i'm new but i'll check the forums for x related data,

but please tell me how i'm being racist and calling people names, that i'm not being fair or that i show prejudice

that "state of the game" as we once were shown is failing with the incoming population being entitled bigots that think that because there late to the party they should get all the features for free just rubs me the wrong way, feel fee to report me i have no care in the world honestly, i'd rather de flea my cat then cry over some internet ruling,

insults woudl be calling you noob and idiot for not knowing how to play, i'm simply asking that before you ***** and moan, actually spend 5 minutes reading on how things work, if thats too much of an insult for you well then i'm sure the library has audio books you can listen too buddy :-)

Seizan
06-17-2014, 09:22 AM
I agree with most off what you say to a point, but you have to realize most F2P people are stupid. Any paid game that goea F2P will have this and there have already been a few new tops started that fall into the "im new on F2P so gimme gimme im to lazy to play the game for 5 minutes and learn" and then you get the 1% that actually goto forums or wiki to read up on patch notes, known bugs etc.

All thats changed now is that everyone has to sift through all the new topics and ignore the stupidity that's been reposted after already being discussed and closed the week before they started.

Good lord if wow went f2p the amount of forum load they would have would slow down the entirety of the interwebs ;P

quite a statement there...

Holy Bahamut3
06-17-2014, 09:22 AM
My zone chat doesn't work, they don't know why. So teaching noobs isnt possible when this goes F2p...

Momaw
06-17-2014, 09:23 AM
when i was new i tried to learn about the game and read all i could about the mechanics, these new players don't seem to understand the basic concepts of the f2p model let alone playing the game itself

I think you're missing the fundamental point of F2P economics and why it works for so many games: because it's easy and low risk. You come in, you try the game, and if you don't like it then you don't lose anything. When you buy a game, you are invested and you are motivated to squeeze your money's worth out of it. For a person newly arrived, they run face first into the game's incredible lack of tutorial and introduction to basic game mechanics and get frustrated with it. (Hardly unique to this game, unfortunately). They don't want to do research and wade through forums. If it takes time and effort to reach basic competency in the game then the game is discouraging exactly the hordes of people that it is trying to attract by turning to F2P.

It's also pretty effective to just call them stupid. Most people find that somewhat offensive.

And by the way, on the subject of mechanics, Defiance isn't even a full F2P implementation. It's only partial because there is absolutely no bridge between free and paid content which is contrary to the concept of F2P. Is that what you want to make sure people learn before they come in? That if you don't spend money you are a second class citizen?

can we make a general guide to new players that is a must read before posting? it would help kill off the repeated threads and leave room for new topics,

Uh. No. If you force people to read a treatise before they post, they are either going to a.) give up completely or b.) skip to the end, hit "next, and post whatever they were thinking anyway. Waste of time for everybody involved.

The real solution here is to improve the game's new player experience so that the newbie questions you despise so much are answered BY THE GAME instead of leaving people baffled.

Grimace
06-17-2014, 09:35 AM
that would also work Momaw, I do understand where your coming from, however i still believe that a general tips & hints guide (the game tutorial not withstanding it's flawed and doesn't explain alot of things, yes) would benefit new players a lot, while most won't check the forums those who do and read the post will be better players for it, while i know it is not a perfect system it would at least help aleviate the stress in game, like the whole WM thing explian to new players (and old lol) what guns to use, where to shoot etc, i still see people on PS3 EU server shooting the monoliths body when it isn't down,

things like shoot the glowing (yellow/red/etc) bit of the enemy of if no glowing area shoot in the head, things like that would help smarten up the player base,

just my opinion of course but i honestly thin ki general guide would help new players not be antagonised so much when they go live, everyone hates a lock breaker in a WM why not inform new players that you don't shoot the locks till there x ammount of players in the area, it doesn't seem like algebra to me, just common sense otherwise we're just going to be telling the same people the same thing just in game not on the forums :-/ sorry if no one agrees, but it is what i truly think would help what we have now....

dramaQkarri
06-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Well, next time you want to rant, instead bump this thread like I just did. LOTS of info for new players:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?159849-Some-basic-info-for-new-players

Razoreddie
06-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Amusingly enough I clicked on this thread thinking there might actual "advice" for new players. Like Momaw said in the above thread this game has almost no mechanics explained on the game's website. The tutorial is basically "this is how you move" and very little else. I started playing before F2P and went through the forums and found the the useful stickied links thread. The only useful link is Defiance Data (which is UBER useful!!!)and the others are mostly outdated. Finding even the basic key commands for this game is like trying to get information out of Russia in the 70s. Yeah, I took the time to read the forums because I learn better that way.

Maybe it's just me, but I have an uncanny knack of ignoring the chat window when it doesn't pertain to me and I only read forum posts I think might be useful since I'm still learning.

If you want more players in game ( I think we all do, most of us anyway) and you know what's going on, pass on the info. I get that it can be a strain answering the same question for people, but it ain't gonna stop, hopefully there will always be new people wanting to play the game. Some of them are lazy about looking things up. Nothing new to this game or any other MMO I've ever played.

Eugenitor
06-17-2014, 09:54 AM
things like shoot the glowing (yellow/red/etc) bit of the enemy of if no glowing area shoot in the head, things like that would help smarten up the player base

There are seriously people who need to be told to shoot the glowy bits? In a game in which the voice is telling you to shoot the glowy bits? And people need to be told to take headshots? Wow. Maybe if they're small children. F2P here, and I seriously do not think this game could be dumbed down much further without becoming too handhold-y to play. The one piece of useful advice I've seen so far is "don't shoot the locks too soon in a WM" - fair enough, I haven't seen a WM yet and I'll take that to heart, but good luck trying to tell people in general not to shoot things.

samuelsinn
06-17-2014, 01:33 PM
teaching the mass's the hardest thing to do on a game with a broken chat. and a forum flooded with billions of useless topics each day.

noobs will be noobs will be noobs. we cant help them if they dont want it.

we can post 50 million how to threads on the forum. only helf of them will be read and the other part of them will be ignored becuse the 50 million noobs that are flooding into the game dont care. they thing like any other shooter out there that deifance dosent have a story behind it

they beleave that its like any other shooter and that they can jump in and start killing people.

the think that there is no real need to use a forum for the game other then to complane about something they dont understand.

noobs are atleast the ones taht DONT try and find answers. are stupid.

not to mention that it is almost summer vacation so theres going to be a huge rise in children on the game. noobs under the age of 18 thousends of them all wanting to play this game.

and what do children do ? they ask questions ! " who do i do this " what do i do here " where do i go next " children atleast the ones i know. hate reading. to get a child to read a forum post detailing how to kill a warmaster would be like pulling teeth. its just not going to happen.

so in the end. us the vet players and the payed players. are going to over all have to live with the flood of useless annoying. stupid question topics that pop up on the forum. OR if we are lucky . trion will make a new thread area so that anyone that asks a question can be answered by a trion staff insted of one of us players that knows almost everything there is to know.

wait dont they have a thread like that somewhere ? hmmmmm

ChewyG2007
06-17-2014, 03:01 PM
The OP post and second post reported for injurious language and ofence to others players. As F2P player I don't feel obligated to accept yours insults.

Calling people dumb or stupid or telling them what to do or how to play or what to read for Defiance has worked GREATLY in the past...yeah, that NEVER works. F2P players come have a taste of what Defiance has to offer:)

Tyrannos
06-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

While we understand that it is frustrating to read negative posts and duplicate threads, creating threads to "reply" to or otherwise discuss these threads is not constructive and typically results in more disruption.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to PM a member of the Community Team.
Thank you!