PDA

View Full Version : Producer Letter: Defiance Season 2 Kickoff

Scapes
06-19-2014, 09:17 AM
My fellow ark hunters,

It's been an exciting year in Paradise. The Tarr family has expanded its operations into the Bay Area, Dark Matter operations in Tranquility have been thwarted, and now the thief, Josh Nolan, has been involved in the downfall of a Votan trafficking ring. Interesting times.

But there are more interesting times ahead.

Starting with the Gunslinger Trials, we began to drop hints of the dire events occurring in Silicon Valley. Von Bach Industries has research labs in the valley, but communication with these remote facilities has been disrupted for months now. It won't be long before the troubles there come spilling out into the rest of the bay.

To give you an idea, here's the state of one of the labs.

http://i.imgur.com/Z5MsxGt.jpg

So, yeah. That can't be good.

Now that the stage is set, our Season 2 storyline can begin in earnest. We've got a lot of content coming out over the next three months: new missions, new gear, a new vehicle, and a new landmass. The New Frontier will never be the same!

Season 2 Preview: The Grid

New enemy factions are coming to the Bay Area. When the Grid first appear, they'll seem to be just another deadly curiosity on the New Frontier. In short order, however, they will become the focus of events that will embroil the bay in violence. You see, something bad is happening in the ark belt and on our quiet planet below. As events in St. Louis and in San Francisco reveal startling similarities, you'll realize no one will escape the conflict to come without sacrificing something they hold dear.

http://i.imgur.com/98OBFuw.jpg

It's a good thing that we've got a lot of fresh blood coming to the bay to face off against these new enemies. The NSFW update brought a horde of new ark hunters to Von Bach Industries' Bay Area expedition. They may be a little green, but they are still hunting shoulder to shoulder with the best talent the bay has to offer.

If Paradise is to survive, it will need all the fresh blood the New Frontier can offer. Silicon Valley is overrun by the Grid, and a strange new cult has begun to take root in the bay. New missions, new battles, and new technology beckon brave souls to gamble with their lives. Whether for righteousness, fortune, or glory, it's time to suit up, ark hunters, and battle your way into Season 2!

Good hunting!

Trick Dempsey
Creative Lead, Defiance

Error404
06-19-2014, 09:22 AM
NotBad.jpg

Hopefully 'new gear' doesn't mean 'Reskinned old gear'.

Amack
06-19-2014, 09:28 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/ngev5e.jpg

Okay, this is exciting.

Grimace
06-19-2014, 09:40 AM
I like the look of "The Grid" hopefully it means a new type of major arkfall.

I also like the sound of "new technology"

high hopes for season 2 can't wait, Only 12 hours (or so)

Market
06-19-2014, 09:46 AM
This looks amazing! Can I paraphrase Joker from Full Metal Jacket?

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an alien culture... and kill them. I want to be the first kid in the Bay Area to get a confirmed kill!

;)

SymbolicGamer
06-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Ok, I'm psyched. Bring it on.

N3gativeCr33p
06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Good news indeed, Mr. Scapes.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an alien culture... and kill them. I want to be the first kid in the Bay Area to get a confirmed kill!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/3858065/full-metal-jacket-o.gif

Love that movie! LMAO

Midori Oku
06-19-2014, 09:58 AM
I can't wait to fight the Grid. Hopefully they are harder than the Volge, and hopefully they show up soon!

Codex
06-19-2014, 09:59 AM
The Grid look creepy! Very excited :D

Nefarious
06-19-2014, 10:06 AM
So Modunauts are called 'the Grid'? That's a pretty cool name.

Sliverbaer
06-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Okay, this is exciting.

Agreed! Looking forward to see how they interact in the Bay and Defiance.

Drunk
06-19-2014, 10:17 AM
maybe individually there modunauts or they used to be modunauts before becoming corrupted and now are the grid ( surprised there has bin no tron/trion jokes yet )

Copperpot
06-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Not sure I would go that far. But it's cool to see new stuff is on the way. The cynical part of me wants to joke about how it will break the game. Oh I just did. And it's not really a joke. LOL :) HAHA

EDIT I forgot JK

Zugo
06-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Images are gone on my side. Anyone happen to grab a copy?

Zombie Stark
06-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Yay, so ready for this! The Grid look awesome!! I hope they're a tough challenge too. :cool:

xxdarkxwarxx
06-19-2014, 10:54 AM
so is this going to 100% free

Enzo Kirin
06-19-2014, 11:02 AM
So this is suposed to be major update to the game.and what do we got few sentences and two pictures. No video no trailer..nothing. I guess its new kind of marketing.im new to this game and I like it more than any game in a long time,but this is just laughable. They plan to input new land mas,weapons,enemies and we get 2 pictures! I font tknow what trion thinks,maybee that tey are so awesome that they dont need any marketing,they could have gotten so much new ppl and potential cash spenders.my frustration to the side those 2 lictures look nice cnt wait to see what season 2 brings

Copperpot
06-19-2014, 11:06 AM
So this is suposed to be major update to the game.and what do we got few sentences and two pictures. No video no trailer..nothing. I guess its new kind of marketing.im new to this game and I like it more than any game in a long time,but this is just laughable. They plan to input new land mas,weapons,enemies and we get 2 pictures! I font tknow what trion thinks,maybee that tey are so awesome that they dont need any marketing,they could have gotten so much new ppl and potential cash spenders.my frustration to the side those 2 lictures look nice cnt wait to see what season 2 brings

Maybe they haven't started it yet.

Scapes
06-19-2014, 11:07 AM
so is this going to 100% free

Yup.

So this is suposed to be major update to the game.and what do we got few sentences and two pictures.

This is a first reveal to dovetail with the start of Season 2. A press release is going out right now but we wanted to share it with the Defiance community first.

DSW
06-19-2014, 11:09 AM

i think they will show us more later, its more like a teaser announcement now

Lucent
06-19-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't want to be so excited but I can't help it.
AAAAAAHHHH. I AM PUMPED FOR NEW STUFF!

Smiit
06-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Gah! Give us dates! We need dates!! Ahhhh when!

Scapes
06-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Gah! Give us dates! We need dates!! Ahhhh when!

The Grid and Silicon Valley will both be arriving during Season 2 of the show.

SymbolicGamer
06-19-2014, 11:59 AM
We get that.

He's asking when during Season 2. Beginning... middle... end? The original post says the content will be released over the next three months so can we expect Silicon Valley in late June, July, August.... September?

Midori Oku
06-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Scapes, could you possibly give us details on the difficulty of the Grid compared to the Volge?

KiwiHype
06-19-2014, 12:08 PM
So excited for tonight and for the new content, cheers for sharing Producers Letter.

N3gativeCr33p
06-19-2014, 12:08 PM

You're such a tease... I see what you did there!

Amack
06-19-2014, 12:22 PM
You're such a tease... I see what you did there!

Yes, I must admit that was pretty good Scapes. ;)

Roez
06-19-2014, 12:43 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, and certainly looking forward. Hopefully, the new species has their own unique AI features, animations and audio.

Also, I believe one of the live streams mentioned a new event. I wonder if it's still planned?

Good stuff. :)

Sally
06-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Nice i can't wait for going live :confused:

Doz
06-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Nice and SyFY shows tonight. Will be awesome to have new stuff and things to do

SOFA KINGxCRAZY
06-19-2014, 01:49 PM
any new weapons????

Smitch
06-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Is this what happens when an EGO implant goes wrong? 'Cause I gotta admit, I'm worried about my EGO. She's REALLY bloodthirsty!

Akrasjel
06-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Nice stuff ;)

Multigun
06-19-2014, 02:25 PM
We get that.

He's asking when during Season 2. Beginning... middle... end? The original post says the content will be released over the next three months so can we expect Silicon Valley in late June, July, August.... September?

It's called spoilers. They likely won't reveal exactly when as it probably has something to do with the show. Seeing as they have said that a million times...

Bakku
06-19-2014, 02:38 PM
So seeing as the Indogenes most likely designed the modunauts, and this (I'm guessing based off of some other responses) "rogue faction" of the modunauts is going to be causing trouble in the Bay Area... wouldn't this be the absolute perfect time to consider bringing Indogene arkhunters into the mix? We already have the doctor's lab coat, BMGs, infectors... :]

Onisuo
06-19-2014, 02:55 PM
rofl.

/ten characters

N3gativeCr33p
06-19-2014, 03:17 PM
I don't want to be so excited but I can't help it.
AAAAAAHHHH. I AM PUMPED FOR NEW STUFF!

I have to admit... I'm also pretty excited for new stuff. Yes indeed!

Smitch
06-19-2014, 05:51 PM
I have to admit... I'm also pretty excited for new stuff. Yes indeed!

Ditto, especially as they're hinting that this storyline will be looked at from both the show and game directions. They will most likely deal with them in their own ways, but it can only help make them feel connected if they have a shared thread of story :D

Creeper
06-19-2014, 07:09 PM
I didn't see any Loot Code in this episode. Was it so well hidden that I missed it?

N3gativeCr33p
06-19-2014, 07:13 PM
I didn't see any Loot Code in this episode. Was it so well hidden that I missed it?

It aired just after a return from a commercial break.

Goth Angel
06-19-2014, 10:35 PM
New landmass huh? Cool! Does that mean a land mass as in co open mission or actual map expansion? Dun dun dunnnnn! Hmmm. :D lol Either way doesn't matter it's new content! Yay!!!! :)
The new enemies look awesome too!

piktskiskis
06-19-2014, 11:32 PM
so in 3 months we will get all season 2 content in game ? i mean story missions o.o

piktskiskis
06-19-2014, 11:34 PM
i think bay area will be expanded a lot!!!! :)

Atticus Batman
06-20-2014, 02:19 AM
New landmass huh? Cool! Does that mean a land mass as in co open mission or actual map expansion? Dun dun dunnnnn! Hmmm. :D lol Either way doesn't matter it's new content! Yay!!!! :)
The new enemies look awesome too!

Actual map area. They have already said that in other threads.

Deirachel
06-20-2014, 02:49 AM
So seeing as the Indogenes most likely designed the modunauts, and this (I'm guessing based off of some other responses) "rogue faction" of the modunauts is going to be causing trouble in the Bay Area... wouldn't this be the absolute perfect time to consider bringing Indogene arkhunters into the mix? We already have the doctor's lab coat, BMGs, infectors... :]

Biodyne Project perhaps?

ghostmourn
06-20-2014, 11:05 PM
The new land mass inc has me really pumped for the game
Defiance ftp seems to be going well & the show is kicking ***, awesome webisodes and a kickass season premier episode. Overall seems like good times for Defiance.

3rdpig
06-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Sounds exciting and I'm looking forward to it.

But I think calling Nolan a "thief" is a little disingenuous. Varus certainly didn't own the gem and neither did the Arkhunter. Backstabber maybe, or double dealer for sure, but not thief.

garyfrclev
06-23-2014, 12:42 PM
I wish the gear had some cool stats to them sort of like a rpg type have like plus something for guns etc that way not everyone would be running around in the same stuff I hope season 2 also opens up new areas and add some bars or something and give my char a voice im starting to think he is a mute or something

Nicc0
06-24-2014, 01:18 AM
I wish the gear had some cool stats to them sort of like a rpg type have like plus something for guns etc that way not everyone would be running around in the same stuff I hope season 2 also opens up new areas and add some bars or something and give my char a voice im starting to think he is a mute or something
The option of mixing upper body and lower body clothes and turn on and off things like backpacks and fake holstered weapons would be great to decrease that "war of the clones" feeling,but I don't think this possible on the last gen console because of the hardware limitations so if they can't do on consoles we will not see advanced customization options on PC.

hiban
06-24-2014, 03:15 AM
There are already many last-gen games with lower and upper outfit customization. Of course, it would use a bit more of memory, but not so much. So it's not a matter of hardware limitations, but more that they would have to recode too many things, and split all the outfit models in 2 parts. That would make necessary to update all the player databases so each outfit item gets converted into two different outfit items. The rewards on the pursuits screen, the shop and basically everything which can give an outfit would also need to be updated.

And, it's not only that, but many male outfit models are too different. For example, if you compare the Infantry veteran with the Harmony Preacher, you will see that the Veteran is strong, with big muscles, and the harmony preacher is just the opposite, smaller and skinny. So some models might require a small modification in order to fit with other parts.
Of course, most of them will look great, but some combinations will look... strange:

http://i.imgur.com/Iir1McA.png

Deirachel
06-24-2014, 02:41 PM

Most folks AREN'T running around with the "same stuff". However, due to hardware limits of the consoles, and to reduce latency, lag, etc. the system defaults everyone to a standard appearance when a large enough number of people are in the same area, or your connection to the server is not so fast (not necessarily your ISPs speed...), or other things happen. You'll note in most Co-op maps people are not "General Steve" all the time. The outfits and customization gets loaded as there is not as much "strain" on the system. (I've yet to run a Co-op in the year+ the game has been out where I was wearing the same outfit as the other three.)

Second, your character does have a voice. It's yours. Use a mic and try out the voice chat. (Just don't be an idiot and take the mic out of your nose, or curse a blue streak, or make stupid statements!)

Cavadus
06-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Uhhh, does it really matter what any of us look like in-game anyways? At the end of the day we show up as latino dudes in the survivalist outfit with a VBI shotgun.

How about they fix netcode so we can see what we already have before we start on any other appearance projects...?

N3gativeCr33p
06-27-2014, 07:09 AM
How about they fix netcode so we can see what we already have before we start on any other appearance projects...?

Hopefully the repaired netcode doesn't become self-aware, and all hell breaks loose...

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/166/b/a/cyberdyne_systems_logo_by_angrydogdesigns-d3iz3ug.png