PDA

View Full Version : bit of a problem with the volge thunderer pistol,(aka not what you might think)

moof
06-19-2014, 12:57 PM
i have a penchant for collecting weapons and stuff (my collection aint too big as im still abit new,though i have purchased the game and several dlc)

but i have a problem,my favorite activity so far is incursion,volge and afflicted

and i have some oj weps,alot of purple,blue,not so much green

but no matter what i do with any of my other weapons,upgrades,mods,even upgrading rarity

Literally nothing in my inventory seems to hurt enemys as much as the volge thunderer i got (btw it has incindieary standard on it so i could add extended mag mod)

ive even got an oj frc bolt action repeater with a 1.10 dmg roll and incindiery...and even with headshots on apex afflicted,it doesnt hit anywhere near as hard as my blue quality volge thunderer with incindiery

is this jsut bad design or a bug or an imbalance of monumental proportions...i mean,hitting 4k on an apex afflicted with the frc bolt action i mentioned and a headshot...seems rediculous compared to hitting 27k with a random body shot on an apex afflicted with the volge thunderer i mentioned

ConcreteSnake
06-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Damage is relative to ego rating. A blue gun that is 1000 ego higher than an OJ is no comparison. Closer to your ego the better the gun.

moof
06-19-2014, 01:39 PM
im at 2087 ego,my volge one is at 1647 ego,my oj incindiery bolt action repeater with 1.10x dmg roll is 1878

so im forced to ask the same question again

ConcreteSnake
06-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Also the actual bonuses make a huge difference and the threat level, post the bonuses of the 2 guns to get more help.

Zhedda
06-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Certain enemies, such as the apex inflicted, are easier to deal critical damage to using explosives. It is possible they are even coded to be weak to explosives. For apex in particular it doesn't matter where you hit them; if it is explosive, you deal a crit. You could use a cluster shot shotgun, to much the same effect. On the flip side, if you try using the thunderer against the flailers, it will do less damage than a direct fire weapon, because you can only crit them with direct fire.

When I do infested I tend to use one of two weapons as my primary (off weapon being a sludge RL): FRC Sub-Carbine with fire nano, or a Volge Thunderer Pistol with rad nano. If I am using the sub-carbine, I go after flailers, shriekers, and apex in that order; reason being I can crit the first two, and the last one is a bit of a crap shoot. If I am using the thunderer, I do it in reverse order as I can deal massive damage to apex and shriekers, but flailers will shrug off the blasts.

So it is all rock, paper, scissors. I use my thunderer on infested, scrappers, and sometimes hellbugs. For everything else I use SMGs.

Quebra Regra
06-19-2014, 02:10 PM
I'll add an oddity I noticed a month ago...

I was up at sniper ridge with my THUNDERER and noticed that my shots would track the mutants as they moved around, even to the point of clearly curving to hit them. Lag, or an intended mechanic?

moof
06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
same here..im shooting apex flailers with my incindiery thunderer and getting crits and headshots when im shooting them in the feat

im only 2087 ego,yet im getting 50 to 70k crits when i pop lvl 1 overcharge or a damage spike (green quality)

yet by all stats,bonuses,and especially with the fact that i have a mag,a reload,and a ego power recharge on critical kill roll on my thunderer should be weaker,but its not

yet my oj frc bolt action repeater with 1.10 dmg role (oj roll of course) along with it having a much higher ego rating and dmg rating then my thunderer,even when i make a headshot with this thing it only does bout 4k on flailers,shreikers,or even hulks,and my frc botl action thingy does come with incindiery standard

so by all manner of stats and common sense my bolt action should hit far harder with a headshot,but it dont

is this maybe related to the volge lightning rifle not hitting half the time yet getting absolutely rediculous crits?

ConcreteSnake
06-19-2014, 02:37 PM
I mean it has more to do with what the base damage and crit mult is on the guns, I think bolt action snipers suck

Zugo
06-19-2014, 02:42 PM
The Thunderer is basically a one handed detonator with no direct damage as a pistol. I think the Lightning rifle is suffering some kind of identity crisis because if you fire at the feet of enemies it will always do damage(explosive) but if fired at enemies directly it fails most of the time.

konstantinov
06-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Your skill level with the weapon will also play a factor.

Bonehead
06-19-2014, 02:47 PM
I always found it odd that a shot to the foot with the thunderer would give a crit kill.

moof
06-19-2014, 02:49 PM

here is the screeny comparison of the two weps (nad to take two screenys and merge them because razor couldnt get it all in one shot)

i was a little off about the stats but most of what i said essentially holds true

Z0mb1E
06-19-2014, 02:51 PM
I mean it has more to do with what the base damage and crit mult is on the guns, I think bolt action snipers suck

Then you've no idea how to use bolt action snipers.....

Atticus Batman
06-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Bolt actions have been crap since Dlc 5. Believe me I love snipers, but they have lower damage and smaller crit mults than MOST pistols. The damage and accuracy on them are bugged again as well. The most noticable ones you can see the bug on are the Volge sniper, and the Bolt action Repeater. Only 1 out of 5 shots does damage even though all 5 hit target.

moof
06-19-2014, 02:53 PM
but look at the attachment,my bolt action has over twice the crit

Atticus Batman
06-19-2014, 02:57 PM
but look at the attachment,my bolt action has over twice the crit

YOur pistol does non-listed explosive splash damage. It used to show 2 numbers on each other when that gun hits. If you looked close you could see both. The almost hidden one being the damage your hit did, the more noticable one being the explosive damae. I am not sure if that is still the case since I rarely use coldfire weapons anymore.