PDA

View Full Version : This is not an MMO!

Aethernaut
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Nor is it a competitive e-sport shooter. It is Borderlands in a persistent world.
This is not a bad thing.

Kommissar Kaede
04-03-2013, 09:18 AM
MMO is a fairly generic term, and I see no need to try and limit the amount of games that can qualify under it. It fits the same style we see in other MMOs, and we can observe quite a few people interacting simultaneously.

Rush
04-03-2013, 09:20 AM
This Is an mmo, this is not borderlands, young one.

AZAG0TH
04-03-2013, 09:21 AM
MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online.
Defiance is all of those things.

It is not a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game).
MMO =/= MMORPG.

Talon Swiftshot
04-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Is that really all you came here to say TC. That this MMO of a game isn't an MMO? Really?

tinytina
04-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Why? because there is no "barrens chat" scrolling away in the corner of your screen? please. This is more of an MMO than most games that label themselves as such. This game actually makes use of 100s of people online together. How many people playing together in the last Arkfall you did? That is MASSIVLEY multiplayer IMO. Not 100s of people sitting around in a 3D chat room/lobby (major city) queuing up for small team events.

Huxer
04-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Battlefield 3 128vs128 map. MMO? Why or why not? How would this game compare?

Rush
04-03-2013, 09:28 AM

MMO =/= MMORPG.

For me it Is an mmorpg and i like it

OOO
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM

MMO =/= MMORPG.

Agreed. Sir Aethernaut can go back under his bridge now.

JBo796
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
You can all call it what you want and I'lll call it what I want, which would be "awesome".

Philote
04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
I guess that depends on if that map is persistent with dynamic events. I personally don't classify something as "MMO" if it has a player limit in the 100s per server. At that point anything is an MMO, so why even have it as a term?

Remag Div
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
MMO? Yes

MMORPG? No

It's MMOTPS. :D

Chaz0r
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
If you say MMO most people think about something like WoW, Lotro and so on. Defiance isn't such a thing. It still is an MMO, but if you want a definition to diversify Defiance from "real MMORGPGs" I would say: Defiance is an open world third person shooter like borderlands in a persistant world with a gigantic multiplayer part.

Tenbears
04-03-2013, 09:37 AM
This is not an MMO!
OK, so those other 160 players who jumped in on the "Major Ark" last night were just random AI players?

Seemed pretty MASSIVE to me... Seemed pretty MULTI player to me.... Seemed we were all online too.

Just saying.

Aethernaut
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Is that really all you came here to say TC. That this MMO of a game isn't an MMO? Really?

Really I was just trying to help the community. Most players see "MMO" and think "MMORPG". That is not a great assumption to make, but it is common. If a player comes into the game thinking it will be like most popular MMOs (RIFT, GW2, WoW, what-have-you) they come away feeling the game is "less than". But if they come into the game expecting a Borderlands type of experience (run and gun, loot, repeat) I think they will come away feeling this is a fun game shooter. So that desire to help is why I came here.

Also, please note that I like the game and enjoy playing it. Saying it is not a (traditional) MMO is not an insult.

IIFatalshockII
04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
For me it's a great TPS MMO. I never thought a game like this was possible on Xbox, and now I'm playing it.

Drekor
04-03-2013, 10:06 AM

MMO =/= MMORPG.

Actually it is a RPG. RPG's are about story, does the game have a progressing storyline? Are you playing a character that takes part in it? RPG.

Irres169
04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm calling it a racing simulator. :D

AZAG0TH
04-05-2013, 03:37 PM
I don't really consider anything an RPG unless it allows me to make choices. I love the game, but it doesn't let me make any choices. Go here, do that, do this, go there... that's the storyline (and that's fine).

Paragons
04-05-2013, 04:12 PM
MMO = ....does anyone even need to repeat it.

AND...btw

Does it have multiple stories?
Multiple quests?
Clans/Guilds?
Chat (humor me there; it will be fixed.)
Trading, Auction, Bank? All being worked on or considered...
Huge as territories?
Mounts/Vehicles?
Dungeons/Instances? (With a freaking Q system I might add..) Even raid type stuff will come. (I know Trion)
Tons of other things, Bonus games (minis), Contracts, etc
Events?
Factions?
Character and Item progression?
Thousands of people playing on a server?
Really what is missing other then a whole **** of new players to MMO in gereral (most of which probably because of console players.)
Pvp
Am I missing anything; I bet I am... Because I mean thats all in WOW right... Hell even more then wow.
O wait except for tab targeting... Or Cities... Rift didn't fancy cities either... The Guardians side might as well been a lil fort. Now both sides have a giant city. AKA They will add something and much more eventually; thats how Trion rolls.

Because this is about as asinine as trying to say an AMMO is not an MMORPG because you hack and slash rather then tab target.
And trust men since games like Tera, GW, Raiderz, etc have come ppl have argued that.

O wait... There's no Bars with Dwarves... O WAIT.. They're ARE BARS; just no dwaves.

You even get to pick multiple races; more otw btw...

So really what are we missing thats different? Oh Crafting! Maybe Trion said wait a min lets not go there; at the end of the day its useless. (I like crafting but I know in every game no matter what Its used for a bit then never again till new content.)

AND Salvaging and modding is gathering and crafting technically... Plus more advanced Modding options open as you lvl...

So again what r we missing?...

Thou hast missed me wit thy bullets of arcane magic....

JMadFour
04-05-2013, 04:16 PM

no persistent world.

not MMO.

Swarm
04-05-2013, 04:17 PM

exactly. this is defiance. its a massively multiplayer online third person shooter. for it to be a mmorpg it would need classes with definite roles i.e. tank dps support etc and a clear gear progression at the least. it does not. its merely an open world mmo shooter. it needs work but as do most mmos.

Even raid type stuff will come. .

arkfalls are raids im sure. 1 boss tons of players i think raid :3

Paragons
04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Deeper EGO's can Tank....
As can you make a healer; they even said this.... You just don't need it. (Which they also said)

Lol BF3 a massive player....?

A MMO is a Massive Persistent environment filled with Thousands of people; why does this even need to continue to be questioned...

Nmalthus
04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
It's a TPSMMO, a TPS with a side of MMO.

Darkeus
04-05-2013, 04:40 PM
I tend to say MMOTPS myself. That is what I would call it. And it does share some similarities with Borderlands, and Rift, and Just Cause 2 and FarCry 3.

It blends a lot of ideas and executes them in its own way. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Kettlewell
04-05-2013, 04:41 PM
An mmo as defined is a massively multiplayer game, this game is massive in terms of the amount of players that can play together simultaneously.

Pretty much an MMO... just because it isn't WoW born doesn't take away the definition.

boosted gear
04-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I tend to say MMOTPS myself. That is what I would call it. And it does share some similarities with Borderlands, and Rift, and Just Cause 2 and FarCry 3.

It blends a lot of ideas and executes them in its own way. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Liking the laughing man avatar takes me back to ghost in the shell :)

Cqcnastyn8
04-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Why? because there is no "barrens chat" scrolling away in the corner of your screen? please. This is more of an MMO than most games that label themselves as such. This game actually makes use of 100s of people online together. How many people playing together in the last Arkfall you did? That is MASSIVLEY multiplayer IMO. Not 100s of people sitting around in a 3D chat room/lobby (major city) queuing up for small team events.

0...still waiting for a shadow war que to. NO one chats in this game. No one groups in this game. Because there is no point in doing so. Everyone looks the same. Classes do not matter. I have no point in creating a new character becaues i just respec into another ego power and start using another weapon.. -_- i do see this game as an MMO..but missing pretty much all the MMO elements

misjuff
04-06-2013, 07:31 AM
OK, so those other 160 players who jumped in on the "Major Ark" last night were just random AI players?

Seemed pretty MASSIVE to me... Seemed pretty MULTI player to me.... Seemed we were all online too.

Just saying.

:O those pesky computer AI's tottaly took the good loot then.