PDA

View Full Version : Zone Chat Monsters

CRIXDA
06-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Well.
First and foremost I want to say to whoever reads this, thank you for taking the time.
Now having that out of the way, on to the "Zone Chat Monsters" topic:
I can rant and rave about etiquette on comms all day or how manners and being polite are the right way to go but that is a boring and tiresome thing that has been done to death here.
"Zone Chat Monsters" are on the prowl and they are sadly alive and well. They feed on someone else' misery and bad feelings and they are just a terrible blight on the chat. I don't know the best way to banish them back to wherever they came from but I wish that I did because they ruin a great game experience.
Just today there was an attack that I witnessed and MadMoxxi was there, too.
One "Beast" kept taunting someone about how "your load-out sucks" and "your perk set-up sucks" and "why don't you mute me? Just mute me? Mute me?" And then it got more personal and into the "your mother" stuff and da da da.
Why?
I said "the zone chat has just gone straight to hell." And a bunch of Arkhunters agreed with me.
Mod sales-folk can't get a word in edgewise, people can't chat at all, it is just dumb.
What does being a "Zone Chat Monster" prove?
Sure, it is really easy to hide behind the anonymity of the words in the chat window and say some of the foul and ugly things that these "Zone Chat Monsters" say or type and maybe they think that they are untouchable.
Scapes said in the "This Has Got To Stop!!!" Thread that it didn't matter if it was the President of Trion's best drinking buddy proven to be a "Zone Chat Monster", he would be perma-banned.
Acting like that is useless. That Tiger Lilly-Wind or whomever it is on the XBL EU server is a prime example.
We have them on XBL NA and I guarantee they are on all of the servers.
So, how do we banish these " Zone Chat Monsters"?

Iceberg
06-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Have a perm ignore list that keeps player names there until you manually remove them from it, setup a chat trade window for players to chat for trading purposes in.

SethC
06-21-2014, 06:28 PM
I see people "Trolling" from time to time in Zone chat. The best advice I can give you is don't acknowledge them. If they get no attention it'll just infuriate them, or they'll get bored.

What would be interesting is if there were some discipline for this kind of behavior. Such as take away their privilege to converse with other players for an amount of time. Few weeks being Mute and not being able to respond to other people in chat is punishment enough.

OttawaREDBLACKS
06-21-2014, 06:28 PM
trust me were a year in and still the only people who get punished are those that ever take offence to anything. If you would say so and so has GOTTEN AWAY WITH NO PUNISHMENT for sexual harassment, bullying and several other things which based on the terms of service would not be tolerable. You will get punished for name and shame aka the person has paid too much to get any type of punishment.

Bentu
06-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Do what I do, only turn the bloody thing on when you need it.

2 needed for 101 expert etc.

Works the same for voice.

CRIXDA
06-21-2014, 10:51 PM
I understand, Bentu. I appreciate the good advice, from you and everyone else. It is just a shame that it has to be like that - to have to change MY behavior because of someone else.
Sadly, I just got fired from a job recently because my personality "clashed" with that of the golden boy at my previous place of employment.
Yeah, he was a "tough-guy" and a bully, a big talker and mr. 1 up. Always has better than you, always does better, always had hotter girlfriends, nicer cars, always better, bigger da da da.
He thought that he would jump in my face and test me one day.
I am nearly a foot taller than him and I am 245 lbs, 6 ft. of muscle and martial arts.
I told him to step or be dealt with and he tucked tail and ran as all these "tough-guys" do.
Regardless of the fact that he instigated everything, it was my fault.
These "Zone Chat Monsters" are just the same. Smart mouthed little guys who aren't very tough at all and have to talk big to make themselves seem very mean and bad.
I hate that anyone has to change to appease someone else.

Smiit
06-21-2014, 11:10 PM
I usually only use it for what Bentu said and for answering new players questions I hate seeing them get left out in the open all the time. Other than that unless someone is being an ******* to me for no reason I stay away. Everyone should stay away. The more people ignore he mean people those people will start to notice they arent getting any reaction from their ******** and will give up. Fighting back makes more of a big deal than it already is.

samuelsinn
06-21-2014, 11:19 PM
before i proceed i know someone that uses this as there profile pic sorry its the only one that comes to mind on a topic like this.

this is what the little trolls look like. they do what they do because they have no life. have nothing better to do and enjoy tormenting the people around them. they feel self empowered when doing the evil vial things they do. and we empower them more by giving them the attention that obviously there mothers and fathers failed to give them.
there looking for an outlet to feed and sadly we are the ones that are feed on. and to stop them. well its a never ending battle that cant be won.

so i unvail to you. what the cyber trolls and bully's look like

http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/ae/ae16fa53_wow-nerd-south-park-580.jpeg

agine sorry to the guy that uses this pic as there profile one :) i have much love for him . but its the only one i could think of to put up here

Deunan
06-21-2014, 11:23 PM
agine sorry to the guy that uses this pic as there profile one :) i have much love for him . but its the only one i could think of to put up hereOh come on! This one is a classic!

http://www.optionsninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/internet-tough-guy.jpg

samuelsinn
06-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Oh come on! This one is a classic!

hay not all of us go troll pic hunting in the interweb :P

nathanpbutler
06-21-2014, 11:34 PM
This is why on PS3 NA, a lot of players have basically muted everything but clan, group, and private chat channels. Area and zone end up being (a) bigotted juveniles trying to feel big by being bigotted and juvenile, (b) personal bickering sessions, or (c) more people rambling on and on about items for sale than you'd find in a Classical era street bazaar.

Unless there are active moderators in-game, though, I don't see this as something likely to be improved. It is the kind of white noise that is present in just about any online community that isn't actively moderated (or only lightly moderated).

samuelsinn
06-21-2014, 11:38 PM
This is why on PS3 NA, a lot of players have basically muted everything but clan, group, and private chat channels. Area and zone end up being (a) bigotted juveniles trying to feel big by being bigotted and juvenile, (b) personal bickering sessions, or (c) more people rambling on and on about items for sale than you'd find in a Classical era street bazaar.

Unless there are active moderators in-game, though, I don't see this as something likely to be improved. It is the kind of white noise that is present in just about any online community that isn't actively moderated (or only lightly moderated).

its all a sad truth but then agine PC dosent have to deal with it for some reason. more people are playing the game on console then on pc it seems becuse well wait no. we just dont sell things that much over chat on pc due to its broken ness its easyer to sell on the forum anyway.

the bullyd though havent seen many on pc but then agine i dont activly look at my chat all the time. the most i do see is some random noobs asking for help witch most of us over on pc na are welcome to give.

drackiller
06-22-2014, 12:16 AM
Well i`m glad to say that in PS3 EU we don`t have that kind of problems in a daily basis. Yeah sometimes people get mad at one another and sometimes we make jokes that may or may not be taken well accepted, but aside the WM chamber were sometimes i can lost my temper because of the noobs and trolls we are a big and some what happy family.

CRIXDA
06-22-2014, 05:21 AM
I understand, everyone. I do.
I hate that WE change because someone else acts a particular way.
WE modify OUR behavior because of someone else.
We turn off Zone Chat because of these folks, don't have voice enabled, mute this one, ignore that one da da da.
I have an issue with a clan, I see the name of the clan and I frown. These cats just get under my skin, they are the antithesis of what a good group should be, in my opinion. I don't mute them, I don't ignore them but I don't go out of my way to interact with them either.
Even as _______ as these folks are in my opinion, they aren't "Zone Chat Monsters". They are everyday, run of the mill _________es.

Fuzzy
06-22-2014, 06:31 AM
When I see someone harassing other people, my clan or me, I make a screenshot and send it over to Trion.
I was harassed by one player for a long time, calling me a cheater, a noob and some more personal things. Another guy from the same clan joined in.
I muted them (and when I didn't forget, I muted them at every session), I sent various reports to Trion of this harrassment and it stopped.
Maybe they got tired of me not reacting or Trion really did something, so they stopped because of this.

I don't see why I should change MY behaviour in chat because of some little trolls who have nothing better to do than harrassing people. But then again, the problems on PC EU aren't that big apparently.
We got some guys bashing about Germans once in a while and I do the same. Screenshot, send it over to Trion, let them deal with it.
Otherwise, I just ignore people like that. I see many friendly conversations, people asking for help, trading posts or clan advertisment in chat, so trolls might not have that big a chance on our servers to do their harrassing.

On the other side, I have not a lot of trust into Trion regarding such things. I don't know how they proceed with such complaints, but seeing really obvious cheaters still running around in Defiance makes me cringe.
When they don't deal with cheaters, then how do they deal with people who harass others?
The only thing left for me to do is always reporting such players and hope they get dealt with. And if I see them continuing what they are doing... Well, I report them again, and again, and again, until they stop or leave the game.

CRIXDA, I really like reading your posts and I know a clan as well which just gets under my skin. So many incompetent players in one place... I have never seen before xD
But they don't bother me that much. It's players who take over zone chat, harass others and won't ever stop.
My opinion: Report them, mute them and keep on doing what you're doing. Ignore them! There will always be people who like to troll around and getting no attention will hopefully make them stop :)

Manstan
06-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Letting it go on does not stop it from going on. Ignoring some ones bad behavior doesn't not encourage them to change that behavior. Don't ignore, report then hope a GM/mod, does something about it. If enough people report the person something will have to be done about it.

Unfortunately this is the fall out from F2P, costs nothing to make the 30th alt.

"getting no attention will hopefully make them stop"

In my experience, no, this doesn't work.

PseudoCool
06-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Letting it go on does not stop it from going on. Ignoring some ones bad behavior doesn't not encourage them to change that behavior. Don't ignore, report then hope a GM/mod, does something about it. If enough people report the person something will have to be done about it.

Unfortunately this is the fall out from F2P, costs nothing to make the 30th alt.

I have to agree with you there. Ignoring "bad behavior" doesn't work in real life, and it certainly doesn't work online where there's no real "threat" to the person behind the keyboard. Granted.. about 15 years ago, if you knew what you where doing, there could very well be a real life threat to what you did online, and I know some people who indeed took it that far on more than one occassion.

Now however, there's no threat at all. Wow.. you kicked me out of a game I downloaded for free.. so what.. I'll download it again or I'll go somewhere else..

Wow.. you said something to me in zone chat and then reported me.. oh well.. I'll sit away from a game I paid nothing for for a few days, then re-roll and come back and start being a snert all over again.

That's the problem you face with F2P games that aren't moderated in game. Even games that are moderated in game have those issues (albiet not so much). The only real way to fix these people (if you can) is get them into a clan, get them invested in the game and community, and hold them to the standards YOU set for the clan and how you play and treat people. Otherwise.. they really have nothing to loose and the behavior won't stop. Ignoring it is not the answer. Working to fix it, either via a private chat or getting them into a clan or on voice and clearly and calmly stating why what they did was wrong.. those are the only ways to fix it short of driving to their house and giving them a taste of their own medicine. And since you've got no way in the gaming world of today to do that, you stuck with "teaching" and "coaching" players.. and good luck with that.

konstantinov
06-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Just saw someone boast about going to prison for 2 years after being convicted of strong arm robbery on a undercover police officer in LA.

WOOOOOOOOOOW

ironcladtrash
06-22-2014, 09:45 AM

I agree with this too however I have seen a lot of the horrible behavior and harassment form people that have been here before the game went F2P. So it's not just the new people. Trion is to slow to do anything about trolls and most of the time I doubt they do anything at all. I shouldn't have to ignore them all the time, they shouldn't be allowed to continue harassing unpunished.

DarkZenith
06-22-2014, 09:48 AM
People actually using the chat? That's a new one on me.

MadMoxxiFavGun
06-22-2014, 09:58 AM
Well.
First and foremost I want to say to whoever reads this, thank you for taking the time.
Now having that out of the way, on to the "Zone Chat Monsters" topic:
I can rant and rave about etiquette on comms all day or how manners and being polite are the right way to go but that is a boring and tiresome thing that has been done to death here.
"Zone Chat Monsters" are on the prowl and they are sadly alive and well. They feed on someone else' misery and bad feelings and they are just a terrible blight on the chat. I don't know the best way to banish them back to wherever they came from but I wish that I did because they ruin a great game experience.
Just today there was an attack that I witnessed and MadMoxxi was there, too.
One "Beast" kept taunting someone about how "your load-out sucks" and "your perk set-up sucks" and "why don't you mute me? Just mute me? Mute me?" And then it got more personal and into the "your mother" stuff and da da da.
Why?
I said "the zone chat has just gone straight to hell." And a bunch of Arkhunters agreed with me.
Mod sales-folk can't get a word in edgewise, people can't chat at all, it is just dumb.
What does being a "Zone Chat Monster" prove?
Sure, it is really easy to hide behind the anonymity of the words in the chat window and say some of the foul and ugly things that these "Zone Chat Monsters" say or type and maybe they think that they are untouchable.
Scapes said in the "This Has Got To Stop!!!" Thread that it didn't matter if it was the President of Trion's best drinking buddy proven to be a "Zone Chat Monster", he would be perma-banned.
Acting like that is useless. That Tiger Lilly-Wind or whomever it is on the XBL EU server is a prime example.
We have them on XBL NA and I guarantee they are on all of the servers.
So, how do we banish these " Zone Chat Monsters"?

wasnt that yesterday

drackiller
06-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Yes, we do. You don`t or you don`t know how?

mr sinister
06-22-2014, 12:34 PM

well people indeed do use chat, sadly enough it would seem they're not using it as intended

DarkZenith
06-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Yes, we do. You don`t or you don`t know how?

I meant that I rarely see people using it. If I do, it's usually the same few.

Ruinne
06-22-2014, 05:56 PM
I've noticed a growing trend of the most obnoxious and miserable people in chat being the ones that accuse everyone of being trolls constantly.

Comment about lag?
TROLL REPORTED!

Joke about vehicle vanishing?
TROLL REPORTED!

Criticize anything about Defiance?
TROLL REPORTED!

"I can't believe we failed an Arkfall."
TROLL REPORTED!

So far on PC, I have to say the worst people are the ones who spend too much time looking for slights and spoiling for fights. I won't pretend I use chat that much but I see more fights and dog-piles by people who live to feel victimised.

Rokea
06-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Its called mute/ignore its a beautiful thing, I have used it a lot the past couple of days.

CRIXDA
06-22-2014, 08:55 PM
It was a couple of days ago now, Moxxi. It is the same incident.
Currently, we had an incident in Dawn Patrol that had to do with someone being uncomfortable because of someone else's behavior in a chat party.
It is very much and sadly similar to all of this because it asks others to modify the way that THEY behave to suit someone else. I understand that people are people and that they will do what they do, but when someone has to change because of someone else then everything is compromised and I don't think that it is fair to have to mute or turn off the Zone Chat because these people feel the need to show their backsides all of the time.
It is just sad, the lack of personal respect that people have for one another these days.
I know that the correct channel is to record the infraction and report it, that is the way to go. It sucks that people have to even get that far.

I appreciate the good conversation on the topic, Arkhunters.

Iceberg
06-22-2014, 09:10 PM
It is very much and sadly similar to all of this because it asks others to modify the way that THEY behave to suit someone else. I understand that people are people and that they will do what they do, but when someone has to change because of someone else then everything is compromised and I don't think that it is fair to have to mute or turn off the Zone Chat because these people feel the need to show their backsides all of the time.

So, playing devils advocate here but, are you not asking the same thing for those sorts of people that you are talking about? For them to change their ways to suit others? As long as they are not breaking any EULA or CoC rules then mute/ignore should be fair enough.

Bonehead
06-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Yep, that's why God made the mute button.

Market
06-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Yep, that's why God made the mute button.

I would like to see it carry through when we log out or change characters. Having to mute certain people every time I log into the game is getting tedious. One in particular is very careful with how he trolls people as to not draw reports, but he's gawdawful annoying nonetheless... lol

It stinks that these people exist, and sadly they will never go away because they have this warped idea that they're funny. If I could mute them once and never have to deal with them again, it would make me so very happy.

Bonehead
06-22-2014, 10:16 PM
I would like to see it carry through when we log out or change characters. Having to mute certain people every time I log into the game is getting tedious. One in particular is very careful with how he trolls people as to not draw reports, but he's gawdawful annoying nonetheless... lol

It stinks that these people exist, and sadly they will never go away because they have this warped idea that they're funny. If I could mute them once and never have to deal with them again, it would make me so very happy.

Amen brother a perma mute would be outstanding!

Market
06-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Apologies for the double. My ISP is apparently changing out the gerbil this evening... :mad:

duction
06-22-2014, 10:40 PM
When I type /ignore on a player they stay on mute and I have had them muted for over a year, they don't come off the mute list when I next log in. I am on xbox though.

Market
06-23-2014, 01:37 AM
When I type /ignore on a player they stay on mute and I have had them muted for over a year, they don't come off the mute list when I next log in. I am on xbox though.

I had the same experience on the XBox. Mute them once and it was done. I'm not sure about the PS3, but it doesn't work like that for the PC. I found it odd that people were having this problem on the PC when the system works as intended on the XBox, but sure enough it's been a problem.

Hopefully they can track down what makes it work on the 360 to fix the function on the PC.

duction
06-23-2014, 02:21 AM
I had the same experience on the XBox. Mute them once and it was done. I'm not sure about the PS3, but it doesn't work like that for the PC. I found it odd that people were having this problem on the PC when the system works as intended on the XBox, but sure enough it's been a problem.

Hopefully they can track down what makes it work on the 360 to fix the function on the PC.

With the xbox, ignore triggers xbox live player mute also so I guess that's why it doesn't forget it.

rydda
06-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Have a perm ignore list that keeps player names there until you manually remove them from it, setup a chat trade window for players to chat for trading purposes in.

110% agree.
we can mute but when we log off then log back in they are unmuted so we have to mute again every time it gets repetitive some days.
still need to try the ps3 ignore list to see if that helps.

Manstan
06-23-2014, 05:38 AM
Mute does not solve the issue, it just hides it from you. That is not a solution.

"So far on PC, I have to say the worst people are the ones who spend too much time looking for slights and spoiling for fights. I won't pretend I use chat that much but I see more fights and dog-piles by people who live to feel victimised. "

Funny, sounds like something a troll would say, because, after all, you aren't a troll, so every one else must be the issue.

CRIXDA
06-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Devil's Advocate aside, I just wwould like to see people be respectful and not be jerks to other people. If they can't, they can't. If the can, they can. I try to be a nice person and be kind and not show my @$$ like that all of the time because I don't have anything to prove - if I am trying to be funny I will ask "what is the best kind of cookie?" Or "what is the best breed of dog?" And have silly arguments.
If people are jerks then that is their perogative.
I was taught better while growing up.
That's all.

Zugo
06-23-2014, 07:22 AM
I honestly wouldn't even know there was a problem in zone chat unless someone points it out. When I play MMO's on PC the convenience of the keyboard is apparent, but playing Defiance on console just doesn't lend it's self well to swapping back and forth from controller to keyboard and back again.

If I see blue text pop up I'll read it, but all that orange is just noise that I easily tune out.

mes77
06-23-2014, 07:53 AM
If I see blue text pop up I'll read it, but all that orange is just noise that I easily tune out.[/QUOTE]

Given the number of raging insecure sexist homophobic ****'s in zone chat on defiance XBL this is by far the best advice.

TheOz
06-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Do what I do, only turn the bloody thing on when you need it.

2 needed for 101 expert etc.

Works the same for voice.

That is a good plan but, I kind of like to know who the crazy people are. So I just take note of them and remember who to stay away from.

TheOz
06-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Oh come on! This one is a classic!

Is that a pack of Newports under the monitor?

konstantinov
06-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Devil's Advocate aside, I just wwould like to see people be respectful and not be jerks to other people. If they can't, they can't. If the can, they can. I try to be a nice person and be kind and not show my @$$ like that all of the time because I don't have anything to prove - if I am trying to be funny I will ask "what is the best kind of cookie?" Or "what is the best breed of dog?" And have silly arguments.
If people are jerks then that is their perogative.
I was taught better while growing up.
That's all.

If you do this while two people are going at it in zone chat, it's considered trolling. Granted it's harmless but a lot of people will take that and run with it. I'm guilty of it myself. I always interject when someone is ignorant enough to start using racial slurs. I'll tell you upfront that a lot of the people on ps3 NA do not like me. I had a guy tell me that one of his clan mates hates me and won't trade with me. Never talked to the guy but ok I guess that's a fair assumption. A lot of people catch a majority of the hate because previous incidents. It's not a coincidence that the same people keep getting trolled in zone chat. I've noticed a lot of the time it starts with a few pokes and then someone gets pissed off and we've got a full out fight.

Best one of yesterday-

Guy runs his mouth about how someone is a noob then proceeds to ask.

"What's the best AR to have?"

Edit: I can get my point across without using racial and homophobic epithets.

DEATHBRINGER210
06-23-2014, 12:03 PM
If you do this while two people are going at it in zone chat, it's considered trolling. Granted it's harmless but a lot of people will take that and run with it. I'm guilty of it myself. I always interject when someone is ignorant enough to start using racial slurs. I'll tell you upfront that a lot of the people on ps3 NA do not like me. I had a guy tell me that one of his clan mates hates me and won't trade with me. Never talked to the guy but ok I guess that's a fair assumption. A lot of people catch a majority of the hate because previous incidents. It's not a coincidence that the same people keep getting trolled in zone chat. I've noticed a lot of the time it starts with a few pokes and then someone gets pissed off and we've got a full out fight.

Best one of yesterday-

Guy runs his mouth about how someone is a noob then proceeds to ask.

"What's the best AR to have?"

Edit: I can get my point across without using racial and homophobic epithets.

that guy asking about the ar is the biggest noob bashing troll. he goes as far as bashing people live in area chat too mic turned all the way too, oh yay and he is a newbie too