PDA

View Full Version : Do all Ark Hunters have an EGO Implant?

Chocolatelover67
06-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Just wondering as it's game related so it should be in the show or get a mention.

But are all Ark Hunters fitted with an EGO device? I ask because near the beginning of the game EGO says she can detect faint signs of another Ark Hunter that has recently died when you search an escape pod near the start of the game.

So how do Ark Hunters get an EGO? Howcome Nolan and Irisa don't have one?

And the EGO can reconstruct you when down so why can an Ark Hunter die if they can be reconstructed?

Griffix8
06-27-2014, 10:45 PM
The ones Von Bach hired had them, yes. But I don't think they all do. Even watching the Live Action video only one of them had and EGO to detect the Arkfall.

As for how them get them....I'm not sure. Probably something they stick in your head since it has to match you. Nolan came from a war and Irisa was small, EGOs are probably a pretty penny in cost....

That is probably just for the game only, I doubt that'd happen in the show.

Edit: if you play the beginning again Von Bach tells you he needs to instruct you to get introduced to the EGO, he hired you since you were an Arkhunter. So that tells me that Arkhunters don't necessarily have/need EGOs.

CRIXDA
06-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Nolan is a tracker who was a soldier during the pale wars and not an "Arkhunter" like You and Griff are. Irisa is an Irathiant girl who is growing up as Nolan's adopted daughter and hasn't had anything like an EGO implanted into her, but she did however get Arktek implanted in her and discovered by "Dr. Missin'apinky" or somesuch. Irisa has "become".
The EGO is an implanted AI and in Gunslinger Trials, the EGOs are sought after there has been rumor among the community that different types of EGO units can be made - Tactical, Logistical, Command and Control, Recon, Analytical, Etc.
Depends on the applcation.

Smitch
06-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Ark hunter is a very generic description. Von Bach hired a number of them to assist with getting things up and running and finding the technology he needed in the Bay Area. As part of their payment they received an EGO (and became instant lab rats) to make them more effective, and I suspect as a bit of a leash on them so if they absconded with the tech he was after he could track/disable them. As for the ark hunter who had an EGO but died...Reasons! Yes! I'm likely to go with either too much damage, EGO wasn't vet fully integrated, or their EGO was disabled due to whatever killed them before it could do anything.

Other than players, none of the other ark hunters you come across in the bay area have an EGO. Though I believe that a number of Dark Matter have something similar already installed. Nim definitely did!

Griffix8
06-27-2014, 11:20 PM
I still don't think the Arkhunters are actually "reconstructed" I think that's just for the game's purpose for you. Cause if that were the case then Nim should be just dandy.

BeckAltarr
06-27-2014, 11:30 PM
EGO is a votan creation that uses nanobots to manipulate your DNA. This is why you can only use one major ego power at a time. The personality knows it's name but not how it died or anything about it's life as a indogene before her cells were harvested to form the foundation for the A.I.

Some other Votan's do have EGO, but it works differently for them, it's more powers less A.I. so while Nim had an EGO type implant it wasn't exactly the same as what ark hunters have. It is also suggested that the longer you have an EGO implant the more used to it your system gets and over an extended period of time you can learn to use multiple powers, but there is a side effect of psychological damage.

Von Bach got his hands on an EGO system or nano-bots and engineered a human adaptation to it. Ark Hunters are in effect lab rats. All this is based on original lore and likely will or has been redacted for future content.

Whippersnapper
06-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Yes all players have EGOs.
I doubt Nolan has an EGO in the show though. We would've either seen it, heard a disembodied voice, or he would've used his EGO power. He could've used Decoy to avoid getting shot, or Cloak to eavesdrop on all of Dataks schemes.

Griffix8
06-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Yes all players have EGOs.
I doubt Nolan has an EGO in the show though. We would've either seen it, heard a disembodied voice, or he would've used his EGO power. He could've used Decoy to avoid getting shot, or Cloak to eavesdrop on all of Dataks schemes.
Chocolatelover wasn't talking about in the game. NPC/show/lore Arkhunters rather than in-game players. We are all Arkhunters and all have EGO but Chocolate was concerned with other Arkhunters (non playable characters and people in the show/lore).

Escyos
06-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Not all ark hunters have an EGO and not every VBI ark hunter had one (Nolan and Irisa).

I figure the revive is more to do with bionetic energy, we get a boost (from ourselves or others) and it recharges our cells. We can either ignore the extract function or say that it is a form of teleportation (like the Dark Matter portals).

Atticus Batman
06-28-2014, 01:03 AM
Remember based on lore we are in essence all the same Arkhunter. Also there will be an ego implanted Arkhunter in the show at some point. They will be "THE ARKHUNTER" from the bay area, hired by Von Bach that helps Cooper and Nolan. Trion did a contrest to pick a player's Arkhunter to be used on show. Of course All the player got to create was the name, race and backstory. Scifi and Trion get to decide the rest. I also believe it was a female character that won though I could be wrong.

Bonehead
06-28-2014, 01:56 AM
Cass refers to herself as an arkhunter in a cut scene and she has no ego implant.

Dopey
06-28-2014, 02:56 AM
Cass is an ark hunter and she doesn't have an EGO implant

Losobal
06-28-2014, 03:26 AM
Ark Hunters existed before VBI and EGO, though if we check the VBI website, the implication was they did a casting couch....errr casting call for Ark Hunters for the San Fran operation. Given some of the stuff from Gunslinger stuff, the implication was that Ego was still sorta rare.

In terms of "Canon" storyline, I think the assumption is that you/we/me are the only surviving EGO using Arkhunter in the region at the time, basically a one man army. And that for purposes of Canon, the fact we have dozens if not more PC arkhunters running around with Ego and stuff, doesn't exist. And we blew up the potential for others in the region to get EGO implants.

There's only 1 arkhunter that survived, and then interacted with Nolan/etc, Cooper, etc etc, saved the Region, kicked the **** out of the baddies, yadda yadda.

RAGEFIGHTER
06-28-2014, 04:05 AM
Remember based on lore we are in essence all the same Arkhunter. Also there will be an ego implanted Arkhunter in the show at some point. They will be "THE ARKHUNTER" from the bay area, hired by Von Bach that helps Cooper and Nolan. Trion did a contrest to pick a player's Arkhunter to be used on show. Of course All the player got to create was the name, race and backstory. Scifi and Trion get to decide the rest. I also believe it was a female character that won though I could be wrong.
omfg its so cool its kinda dream to get my char in show specialy with my playstyle since im prety hyperactive smg runner :)

way to go trion !!!! its so cool idea to merge show and game in this level :)

Chocolatelover67
06-28-2014, 04:12 AM

Yep the character that won is called Althea

RAGEFIGHTER
06-28-2014, 04:16 AM
Yep the character that won is called Althea

you destroyed my dreams :( i gues ill newer get them real

Oort Cloud
06-28-2014, 09:13 AM
I wonder if what Irissa (Arissa?) experiences in the show is like some archaic/ancient form of "EGO" on which the others were based..

I know nothing of the lore other than what I have experienced in game and when watching the show, so maybe its explicitly addressed.. but I kinda like the idea!

BJWyler
06-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Chocolate mentioned the winning character's name, and it was a female Irath character that got picked by the SyFy bigwigs. However, the SyFy writers created a backstory for each of the 10 finalists. That was one of several points of contention many people had with the contest, let alone how the final winner was chosen. Essentially, all the player got to choose was the look and name, and of course after the Varus incident in the Season 2 premier, if the character even shows up in Season 2, there's a chance it won't even look like the in game character.

Bonehead
06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Chocolate mentioned the winning character's name, and it was a female Irath character that got picked by the SyFy bigwigs. However, the SyFy writers created a backstory for each of the 10 finalists. That was one of several points of contention many people had with the contest, let alone how the final winner was chosen. Essentially, all the player got to choose was the look and name, and of course after the Varus incident in the Season 2 premier, if the character even shows up in Season 2, there's a chance it won't even look like the in game character.

A really really good chance.

drackiller
06-28-2014, 01:01 PM
If my char was chosen, it must had a beer in his hands all the time during the episode ;)

Bonehead
06-28-2014, 01:19 PM
If my char was chosen, it must had a beer in his hands all the time during the episode ;)

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/borat-thumbs-up_zps7c26088c.jpg

BJWyler
06-29-2014, 06:08 AM

To be honest, based on the first two contests, I am kinda "meh" about anything else they come up for this year (both as the contest itself, and the reward). I had a much better time writing my own fictional crossover content featuring my character (the first four chapters still up on my web site, and I will eventually be getting back to finishing the story) and of course, I can do my character much better justice than the SyFy writers at this point.

Chocolatelover67
06-29-2014, 08:01 AM
To be honest, based on the first two contests, I am kinda "meh" about anything else they come up for this year (both as the contest itself, and the reward). I had a much better time writing my own fictional crossover content featuring my character (the first four chapters still up on my web site, and I will eventually be getting back to finishing the story) and of course, I can do my character much better justice than the SyFy writers at this point.

At this point in time anyone can write better then the writers of Defiance.........

Having said that it's not that bad.

Rokea
06-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Just wondering as it's game related so it should be in the show or get a mention.

But are all Ark Hunters fitted with an EGO device? I ask because near the beginning of the game EGO says she can detect faint signs of another Ark Hunter that has recently died when you search an escape pod near the start of the game.

So how do Ark Hunters get an EGO? Howcome Nolan and Irisa don't have one?

And the EGO can reconstruct you when down so why can an Ark Hunter die if they can be reconstructed?

Nolan and Irissa aren't arkhunters per-say. I think the Arkhunters in the game are official arkhunters... at least that's what I tell myself

Rokea
06-29-2014, 08:45 AM
The Player character all ready appeared in the show, they were a WANTED poster in Alak's radio station in season one

Clarity Page
06-29-2014, 10:13 AM
its a bit of a pardox, as other people have said we are all playing as THE leading "arkhunter" cannon wise at least,
so effectively we are running around shooting and questing with our alternative universe selves,

I however choose to believe that Vonbach had that Erep ship packed with hired ego implanted arkhunters, my arkhunter just happens to be the one that did all the important stuff whilst everyone else was running around fighting & scavenging for arktech, of course now with the bay area safe (for now) my arkhunter has retired back to her arkhunting and scavenging lifestyle with everyone else

The thing that intrigues me is the achievement you get when you first meet your ego, also EGO gets more of a personality as you go on.
(although this might actually be to do with peoples complaints that her voice was too unemotional and not actually a hint of things to come, thats what i read on the net although i don't remember anyone complaining about any of the voice acting until the recent VO changes)

i reckon we are going to see someone with an ego implant in the show at somepoint though, and Irissa's arktech does have EGO like propertys I'm guessing it is the same kind of tech that ego is developed from. interesting that it was capable of reviving Nolan from such a distance it must be quite powerful

Rokea
06-29-2014, 12:01 PM
I think instead of them trying to make an AI character to help explain game mechanics they should have had the ego boosts just be e-rep tech mods that you place in your armor, this at least would be more attainable my more people and would fit in the show somewhat more believable than thousands of arkhunters running around with ego units and no where else in the country.

Zhedda
06-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Hmm. This thread makes me wonder if Irisa has the mother of all ego implants after the first season. Would tie into the game nicely if she did.

Chocolatelover67
06-29-2014, 06:46 PM
And speaking of EGO does anyone find her annoying?

And she gets quite enthusiastic at the wrong times / places, for instance Angel Island.... This is more amusing then annoying.

EGO can also extend herself beyond your body like in the Arkbreaker DLC where she can interface with computers without you touching them..

I also find it very amusing watching a group of players and then you see male Ark Hunters with female voices when in pain or under attack..... Most amusing indeed. lol

hardy83
06-29-2014, 07:20 PM
EGO is a tech creative by Von Bach, and has, at this point, only let mercenaries and employees have it. Thus why all the players have it, since we were hired by him.

One of the DLCs have quests where I believe Erep was trying to steal the tech, but they didn't get it.

In terms of EGO itself, I believe it's tech altered from VC tech, though I don't believe VC have EGO per say either, though the last boss in the game clearly had it or something similar.

DSW
06-29-2014, 07:32 PM

And she gets quite enthusiastic at the wrong times / places, for instance Angel Island.... This is more amusing then annoying.

EGO can also extend herself beyond your body like in the Arkbreaker DLC where she can interface with computers without you touching them..

I also find it very amusing watching a group of players and then you see male Ark Hunters with female voices when in pain or under attack..... Most amusing indeed. lol

i've had hard time guessing who do i want to beat s*** out of more, her or varus. but with current WM state, it's pretty much obvious.

as for female screaming males, i can guess that it was General Steves which could (and usually would) mean that actual player skin aren't loaded. or they just got their balls crushed by hellbug jump.

Clarity Page
06-30-2014, 02:31 AM

I personally like EGO, i find her random bursts of enthusiasm quirky and sometimes a little unnerving which ithink works well considering that she is an alien AI implanted into your body.

As for EGOs remote ability's, they always involve computers which most likely have wireless capabilities that she can interface with but Nolan is a human without any kind of wireless connectivity so maybe Irissa's arktech has teleporting nanites, I'm probably over analysing it but as we know so little about the artefacts it's fun to speculate.

Chocolatelover67
06-30-2014, 02:41 AM
EGO is a tech creative by Von Bach, and has, at this point, only let mercenaries and employees have it. Thus why all the players have it, since we were hired by him.

One of the DLCs have quests where I believe Erep was trying to steal the tech, but they didn't get it.

In terms of EGO itself, I believe it's tech altered from VC tech, though I don't believe VC have EGO per say either, though the last boss in the game clearly had it or something similar.

OOH which DLC has an EGO related mission? I don't normally buy DLC but if it's good I might

Chocolatelover67
06-30-2014, 02:52 AM
And where are all the weapons and items stored? Does everyone have the "bag of holding" that can store anything?

:D

Clarity Page
06-30-2014, 05:26 AM
And where are all the weapons and items stored? Does everyone have the "bag of holding" that can store anything?

:D
I think if EGO can de-materialise 20 plus assorted vehicles into my back pocket then she can handle a few guns, even if you do have a personal armoury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70vcs3oV14

hardy83
06-30-2014, 07:56 AM
OOH which DLC has an EGO related mission? I don't normally buy DLC but if it's good I might

Gunsligner.
I have to go back and look at the screenshots, but raidres stole a shipment that was headed to silicon valley (so the new area was hinted in the DLC) but it was attacked and the research facility that it was going to in silicon valley went dead.

I can tell you where they end up and what not, but if you do want to get that DLC, Gunslinger does have the most story content.

Looking back at the quest text and conversations, I kind of laughed realizing they told us where the land expansion will be but no one noticed.

Chocolatelover67
06-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Gunsligner.
I have to go back and look at the screenshots, but raidres stole a shipment that was headed to silicon valley (so the new area was hinted in the DLC) but it was attacked and the research facility that it was going to in silicon valley went dead.

I can tell you where they end up and what not, but if you do want to get that DLC, Gunslinger does have the most story content.

Looking back at the quest text and conversations, I kind of laughed realizing they told us where the land expansion will be but no one noticed.

I think some of us were hoping it was that rather large area north of the map attached to Mt Tam........ I know I was. It's a huge area to explore

DEATHBRINGER210
06-30-2014, 08:45 AM
all ark hunters are right handed and all just about all enemies are lefties

hardy83
06-30-2014, 10:57 AM
I think some of us were hoping it was that rather large area north of the map attached to Mt Tam........ I know I was. It's a huge area to explore

Hopefully we'll get that too since, I would assume, it's more mountainous and has a lot more trees which the current area is severely lacking. As well as a very urban area east of the Bay.
Eventually, I hope the whole map is revealed and possibly, over time, made even bigger.

I would LOVE to go to other places completely like Canada or the Storm Divide, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Chocolatelover67
06-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Hopefully we'll get that too since, I would assume, it's more mountainous and has a lot more trees which the current area is severely lacking. As well as a very urban area east of the Bay.
Eventually, I hope the whole map is revealed and possibly, over time, made even bigger.

I would LOVE to go to other places completely like Canada or the Storm Divide, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

I don't think the game will survive that long.

Be nice if they did a single player patch to let you access the game offline.