PDA

View Full Version : Why do vehicles despawn?

Dopey
06-29-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the devs can make it happen that vehicles will never despawn..

So why not?

Before anyone saying it will "break the game" because of more data, I don't think it will, It's not that much in my opinion so I doubt it will break the game

Griffix8
06-29-2014, 05:40 PM
The devs have said they don't even know why the despawn. The issue isn't a priority.

Dopey
06-29-2014, 05:51 PM
The devs have said they don't even know why the despawn. The issue isn't a priority.

Wow really? And they won't even try to fix it? I don't know about you but it makes me annoyed whenever I come into a mission, park my vehicle, read the content and then have to respawn my vehicle.

I think(If it's really a bug) It should be fixed asap

Griffix8
06-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Oh I thought you mean it despawned while you drive. Yeah THAT they don't know how to fix. The despawning when you aren't in it is intentional. The despawning while driving is a bug but it isn't a priority.

Drunk
06-29-2014, 05:55 PM
its a new feature trion added that stops ingame global warming from fuel burning, if every so often ur vehicle despawns they can cut emissions by upto 75%!. With those decreased emissions we can finally fart with confidence!:cool:

SethC
06-29-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm probably just speculating, but I notice when I keep tapping the button rapidly to enter my vehicle that it's more likely to kick me out of it. I'd really have to try testing, though it did happen yesterday since I was lagging and kept tapping the button like a madman.

hardy83
06-29-2014, 07:22 PM
They said it's a bug but haven't been able to pin down the cause of it. They, I believe, said it had something to do with lag and other people driving the same vehicle or something.

I'm sure it's a priority, but not at he top of the list.

Kanah
06-30-2014, 03:47 AM
It's funny when you're in a convoy between incursion sites and half the people suddenly end up on their arses.

Paster of Muppets
06-30-2014, 04:07 AM
Looks like people are confusing the vehicles-despawning-while-driving bug with vehicles normally despawning on timer after you exit them. It seems pretty clear to me that OP is asking about the latter.

Even if OP doesn't like this answer, it's likely they made vehicles despawn so that the the servers have one less thing to keep track of while you're not in them. This probably saves a good amount of network traffic/database updates during arkfalls etc, when there can be 50 people around at the same time.

Also, if you've done incursions a lot, you've probably noticed giant piles of vehicles covering mobs under them etc. This'd get old pretty fast if the vehicles stayed around. And the extra collision detection etc. needed to prevent this would take extra coding and probably tax the servers even more.

I'd also be a magnificent opportunity for griefing, since you could now block access to places with piles of vehicles.

Before anyone saying it will "break the game" because of more data, I don't think it will, It's not that much in my opinion so I doubt it will break the game

Your doubt is unlikely to affect how their network code works.

Feadan
06-30-2014, 08:19 AM
I'd also be a magnificent opportunity for griefing, since you could now block access to places with piles of vehicles.

AFAIK you don't collide with other people's cars, so blocking is only visual. However, that is bad enough. Like you mentioned, the pileups of cars during arkfalls would be really annoying because you wouldn't be able to see enemies, loot and so on. That's probably the main reason they despawn.

Strykewolf
06-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Driving down the road like a bat out of hell, minding my own business....*poof* standing there, in the middle of the road, minding my own business wondering where I parked the car. :D

Saw an odd one, the other day, at iron demon ranch; must have been 20-ish 'shadow challengers' all piled up by the merchant boxes. They were there, but not there....like they were cloaked.

N3gativeCr33p
06-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Maybe it's because Emilio Estevez still needs a paycheck? Perhaps he is the reason why...

http://www.frontrowposters.co.uk/prod_images_large/REPOMAN.jpg

Kershoc
06-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Hadn't seen it mentioned yet, so it just has to be said.

Because Grenades!

Gus_Tarball
06-30-2014, 03:04 PM
A player's vehicle will be in the way of any shots you take at something on the other side. I couldn't shoot a Volge on the other side of my car until it despawned. With all the cars piling up at raider, afflicted and volge spawns you'd have one more thing to shoot around.

oO Gaul Oo
06-30-2014, 03:07 PM
The vehicular de-spawning whilst driving is extremely comical sometimes especially when you are in mid air or going full boost up the side of a mountain to get to somewhere. It's annoying, but I don't mind it and there are far more serious issue to deal with.