PDA

View Full Version : What time is it on the forum?

dramaQkarri
07-09-2014, 09:34 AM
I notice that today, right now, at the bottom center of the forum on all pages it says:

"All times are GMT. The time now is 04:31 PM."

But sometimes, including a few hours ago today, it says:

"All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 AM."

Sooooooooooo, what's the deal anyway? How and why does it change? Who keeps messing with it? For what purpose?

Things like this make me wonder if this entire game and forum is just a huge psychological experiment....

Copperpot
07-09-2014, 09:37 AM
I am seeing the correct time on mine. Are you really super bored at work today? Smiley Face*

N3gativeCr33p
07-09-2014, 09:39 AM
According to the time that I'm looking at, you created this thread at 11:34 am.

Are you really super bored at work today?

Can't speak for her, but I know I'm bored at work today. ;)

crazyged
07-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Time is exactly 2 hours behind us in SA. 16h41 on the forums, 18h41 here in Cape Town.

Etaew
07-09-2014, 09:43 AM
It depends if you are logged in or not, there is a timezone setting.

dramaQkarri
07-09-2014, 09:46 AM
yes SUPER BORING JOB.

What I'm getting at is, why does it sometimes say it's "GMT", and other times it says it's "GMT -7" (meaning Pacific time). Do they have to reset the forum time every day? Does their server just revert to one or the other?

Time zones I understand. Forums that change their standard of what time zone they are using is what I do not understand.

XD it's just weird.

dramaQkarri
07-09-2014, 09:49 AM
It depends if you are logged in or not, there is a timezone setting.

Ok now we're getting somewhere. When I'm logged out the time shows as "GMT -7" and now that I logged back in it's "GMT". So there's some setting in my account where I can set the time zone I'm in? Forgive me. That's just silly. I'm gonna go change it to PT even though I'm Central time so -5 is what it should be. If I'm just looking not posting I don't always log in.

I'm just here cuz my job is so, so, so boring.

dramaQkarri
07-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Ok just changed my setting and put it on Mountain Time actually, which is the -7 setting. Classic. The Company does not do daylight savings time I guess. 5th grade knowledge IMHO but what do I know? At least now it should show me the GMT -7 always. At least until November when daylight time changes.

Copperpot
07-09-2014, 09:52 AM
snip-yes SUPER BORING JOB.

Haha - I'm on here too so don't feel bad

Etaew
07-09-2014, 10:01 AM
The Company does not do daylight savings time I guess.
There is a setting right under the timezone for DST Correction Option. Mine defaulted to always off, you probably want it on or auto detect.

drackiller
07-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Ok just changed my setting and put it on Mountain Time actually, which is the -7 setting. Classic. The Company does not do daylight savings time I guess. 5th grade knowledge IMHO but what do I know? At least now it should show me the GMT -7 always. At least until November when daylight time changes.

But you know that even the -7 is wrong because the hour also changed here and the difference is always 8 hours from your time to our time. We in GMT are in BST at the moment. But i just don`t bother to explain that anymore.
My time now is exactlly 20:30 and i`m GMT.

dramaQkarri
07-09-2014, 12:40 PM
But you know that even the -7 is wrong because the hour also changed here and the difference is always 8 hours from your time to our time. We in GMT are in BST at the moment. But i just don`t bother to explain that anymore.
My time now is exactlly 20:30 and i`m GMT.

LOL what I know is, it's 2:38 here in Chicago and it's 12:38 in California where The Company is headquartered. It says 12:38 at the bottom of my forum screen and that's what I want - to be in sync with whatever their default time is...right or wrong.

And yes, the -7 is wrong but that's their default. It will be wrong until November when USA changes time again - and then it will be corrected to the -8 hours difference. The littlest things become so complicated here, right?

Bonehead
07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Things like this make me wonder if this entire game and forum is just a huge psychological experiment....

I don't wonder at all anymore.

http://dora.missouri.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/guinea-pig-tan.jpg
Of course it is.

Morgana
07-09-2014, 01:32 PM
It used to be that the default time zone for every new user was GMT, instead of Pacific time. The default for the whole forum is now Pacific time, but that's probably why your time was GMT instead of Pacific when you were logged in!

When DST ends, your timestamps will automatically correct themselves when it ends, assuming that your preferences are set to do so in your settings (http://forums.defiance.com/profile.php?do=editoptions). The forums themselves are set to automatically detect DST for logged out players as well.

Amack
07-09-2014, 01:58 PM
This is MST - Morgana Standard Time ;)

dramaQkarri
07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
You'd think with all the time I've spent here I'd have investigated the settings completely. I didn't.