PDA

View Full Version : Raids and classes?

Allelujah
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Understanding that this is a FPS mmo which means were going to see alot of differnet things here then we do in other mmos. I can't find anything on these 2 topics: Raiding and classes, so I figured I would ask the community.

Does anyone know if there will be raids? I know there are dungeons but like in GW2 we have dungeons as well but no raids.

Second, is there going to be classes to choose from or a class type system?

Third question, if there are raids and no classes how would the tank/healer system work? Would there be different weapons in the game that generate more threat along with gear that has damage midigation, and for the healing would there be medpacs we throw out or will there legitamtly be different skills we can use depending on a class choice or weapon were current holding?

I don't know if anyone would know anything but thats just why im creating a post, to see if anyone has any knowlegde or even thoughs on the topic.

Jenbuu
08-01-2012, 01:17 AM
There is little known at the moment but the season of games cons are upon us and if they are at any of them i am certain that we will get some more information.

They have said tho that you will be able to choose which way your character goes tho. Im hoping it may be like SWG pre NGE where you could choose to specialize in pistols, then some thing else and that opens up the smuggler stuff etc.

healing in fps's has always been a weird one in my opinion look at global agenda you have your healing beams and healing grenades.

As for raids i have no idea all though i am pretty sure there will be something as you have the ark falls going through the game.

Kalbuir
08-01-2012, 05:18 AM
I think it all has to do to what you call a raid, if you talk about taking down a big boss with use of strategy and beating specific mechanics then I think Defiance will most likely offer that if you take into account that in the instance we saw at E3 a mini boss already has some nice small mechanic.

However raiding as a guild with 20 people going into big instances and getting loot to distribute, is totally unconfirmed. As I understand it most loot is personal loot, meaning that its yours (thats the way I think it worked in the E3 instance atleast). Maybe there will be traditional MMORPG raiding but at this point its not mentioned.

Pretty sure there will be a class system but not a hell of a lot is known atm, not even if its skill based or based a few starter classes.

Escyos
08-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Yes there are raids and no there are no classes. You choose a race, grab some weapons, level up and gain XP.

More info here: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Defiance_(game)

ObliviousPrime
08-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Players in Defiance are classless, you gain XP and go up levels, but you do not pick a class, instead opting for choosing technology and weapons to suit your purpose.

I got that from the wiki.
Am I right in thinking that thought there might not be classes, but you can be specialized making your own custom role?

Kalbuir
08-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Am I right in thinking that thought there might not be classes, but you can be specialized making your own custom role?

That was my understanding but seeing Escyos reply I am in doubt now. But considering you can level up one would assume you have at least some basic chooses to go a specific route.

Adsinonimous
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM

There will not be classes but you can tailor to certain roles by using certain equipment. For example, if you wanted to deal lots of damage and be the person to kill everything and everyone, you would choose gear that had the most damage. On the other hand, you could pick up weapons with healing abilities if you wanted to play more of a support role. You can switch up your gear at any point and you can switch between weapons to deal damage and heal if you wanted to.

Yes, there will be level progression but I think that is there to unlock more items as you play through the game, so you can do greater heals, do higher damage, or get gear that gives you a lot more immunity to bullet damage, etc.

Arkamenitas
08-11-2012, 10:19 PM
raiding in a shooter could be pretty interesting. I wonder if that's doable in a way that makes sense and is fun...

Allelujah
01-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Yes there are raids and no there are no classes. You choose a race, grab some weapons, level up and gain XP.

More info here: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Defiance_(game)

What is your definition of raiding? I mean, is there going to be dungeon-type areas for 10+ people that have to coordinate with each other to clear the area. Or is it going to be open world style? There are dungeons, but I believe there is a fine line between dungeons and raids. (Dungeons with less people, raids with a group of many)

Allelujah
01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Anyone know?

Ballistica
03-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Anyone know? Would be a nice marketing thing so close to launch. Must not have raids (like Rift) if they haven't said it by now. i say that because why would you not advertise such a thing 4 weeks from launch. It would drive pre-orders.

IGears
03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
From the live streams on twitch every Friday and in the IGN Playthrough there are arkfalls and there are co-op maps that are similar to dungeons and raids. but the only thing about the co-op maps you can only have 4 players where as the arkfall will scale up or down to however many player are there.

Cavadus
03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
There are major ark falls and co-op maps which would be the closest things to MMO-style raids IMO.

SweetMadness
03-04-2013, 03:34 PM
That was my understanding but seeing Escyos reply I am in doubt now. But considering you can level up one would assume you have at least some basic chooses to go a specific route.

It's classless, you have complete customization of how your character will be built, if you want to fill a specific role, or not. You choose your Ego Power, and from there you build your character, eventually you can have all four powers and perks maxed out (requires ~5000 ego rating). Dev estimation is that most players will never make it that far, and that's not including the addition of other perks or powers as/if the game expands on the Ego Grid over time. You have nearly full control over your character's appearance and skills. The only limitations you have is what perks are available because they are unlocked based on power choice, and perk choice (and ego rating). All of them can, as I said, eventually be unlocked. Your only other limitation is that you can only have one power and nine perks equipped at a time.

Edit: As for raids, we know about Arkfalls, and they scale to the number of players. We also know there are four player "dungeons." If there's anything beyond that, the only people that might know are under NDA.

Prophet of Entropy
03-04-2013, 03:37 PM
hard to have endgame content when there is no endgame. or atleast or atleast a lvl cap that incredibly hard to reach.

with the shooter based progression of this game normal mmo model doesnt really apply. and since loot is personal to you.... farm it how ever you like.

Archangel
03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
hard to have endgame content when there is no endgame. or atleast or atleast a lvl cap that incredibly hard to reach.

with the shooter based progression of this game normal mmo model doesnt really apply. and since loot is personal to you.... farm it how ever you like.

The End game is the Perk grind. Getting a Ego PR of 5000 may take a long time and for what? Well you get:
Better Weapons
Better Shields
Better Grenades
More Perks
Stronger Perks
Greater Character customization.

So no end game? End game is really meaningless to masses since each persons quote "End Game" is different.

My end game will be PVP and future PVE content and dungeons.

What is your end game?

Doz
03-04-2013, 03:51 PM
This going to be interesting for me since I am playing SWTOR MMO as a Imperial Sniper.
What I want to be in Defiance is a Stealth Sniper keeping everyone back protected and help keep the peace.:)

Archangel
03-04-2013, 04:02 PM
This going to be interesting for me since I am playing SWTOR MMO as a Imperial Sniper.
What I want to be in Defiance is a Stealth Sniper keeping everyone back protected and help keep the peace.:)

Dont know you'll be able to make peace with wild hellbugs or crazed mutants. But it could be a different kind of peace you have in mind... like Rest In Peace (*Sniper shot rings out*)