PDA

View Full Version : Are the sig lock keepers powerless, or poweful to change Trions actions?

Dracula Hellsing
07-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Seeing all the hatred and angry directed at Trion recently- and please, no huge debate about why you're angry, I know why, and there's been too many threads about that already :)
- but seeing as some people have recently had their Twitch accounts deleted due to their questions, if Trion threatened to delete the gaming accounts of the most outspoken forum members and ban their i.p addresses, so they can no longer play Defiance at all, how would you feel? what would you do...heck, what could you do.

agiantmudcrab
07-11-2014, 04:28 PM
I just do not understand all the fuss about the Warmaster. All the "Veteran" players have no need to do it anyway. So much fuss.......

Jack_Pryce
07-11-2014, 04:29 PM
That would be the worst move they possibly could make.

dramaQkarri
07-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Sure would be a bad move. With social media these days, getting out in front of bad PR is the only way to go. Lurking around and trying to shut people down will never work, cuz they can't get them all. They can't stop twitter!

Dracula Hellsing
07-11-2014, 04:39 PM
They can't stop twitter!

I love what Trion have done with Defiance and the WM, plus the upcoming invite system for it.
And actually, yes, yes they could stop twitter in 2 ways.
1) Enough players take to twitter to repeat their views as they do in the forums, twitter servers overloaded.
2) They install a patch into their main twitter accounts, causing twitter to need patching every day, causing more problems :p

And, people don't care in the real world about much at all, especially about a game.

PseudoCool
07-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Here's the thing on this, and I'll keep the words small so people can understand it:

Social Media is this day and ages new Public Relations. Be it a dream of free advertising, or the nightmare of open disclosure, that's exactly what social media has become. Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, YouTube, MySpace (not sure anyone even uses it anymore), and more than 10 MILLION blog posts a day on everything from video games to making pop tarts to why Tommy is just the most buff dude on the planet.

You don't win public relations battles. No one wins them. You get ahead of them, you cut them off before they become an issue, so when they pop up, you cut the head off and defuse them instantly. When you can't do that, what goes out, stays out. There's a very true saying: Once you put it on the web, it's ALWAYS on the web. Just ask the "stars" who posted their racy pictures to instagram and then said "Oh god, I only wanted that to go to X, not to the world!" and then took them off, only for the scandal mags and websites to find them and put em on blast.

If you think gaming communities and gaming review companies don't pay attention to these same social media outlets, your kidding yourself. The most recent example would be NCSoft. The way it handled and closed down CoH/V with little to no notice, as well as how it handled the PR of the situation, and the outrageous demands it had for anyone interested in purchasing the title, are all well documented on the internet. The ground swell of gamers rallying against NCSoft was heard, literally, around the world. Recently, NCSoft has launched a new title. And guess what, it's bombing horribly. From what I hear, the game is great to play, beautifully rendered, balanced, with little to no bugs. And they can't fill a server with clients.

What does all this mean for Trion? It should be an example.. a clarion call if you will.. that while for today, you have our money for Defiance (for those of us who actually paid for the game and/or DLCs), but your next venture is going to be based on this one, and it's success will hinge on how well you handle your public relations and customer service. Failure to do so now, is more than likely going to mean your failure later. For a more direct correlation to this mindset, look at how many people bought Defiance without even playing it in closed or open Alpha testing because they where already so happy with Rift. My experience with Rift and Trion Worlds is why I was elated to get an invitation to alpha testing, and why I gladly pre-ordered the game and season pass. But, in the last year, that "love" for a gaming company has faded drastically due to their actions.

That, good sir, is exactly what is happening in the game world lately. Gamers are NOT standing by getting kicked in the teeth anymore by greedy gaming companies. We're not laying down and being degraded like worthless whales by developers, who I admit are in a very hard spot between delivering what the gamers want, and what the company thinks is profitable.

This is the new age of computer gaming and gaming communities. May the digital gods of the internet save your sorry backside, if it should be worth it to do so. (Say that like your William Thatcher from "A Knights Tale" for the proper effect)

hiban
07-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Bad reputation can be propagated very fast through the internet. I have seen projects having their reputation seriously damaged by ONE single angry guy.

So the answer is Yes and No.

We can't force them to change their actions, we are not Obi Wan Kenobi. At the end of the day, Trion will do what they want.
But we can initiate reactions which can help them decide to change towards one direction or another. It's called the power of the masses.

Dracula Hellsing
07-11-2014, 05:11 PM
I feel ashamed even replying to you...

So by contributing nothing at all to the thread, you've just made yourself a zero value troll, LMAO!

Dracula Hellsing
07-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Bad reputation can be propagated very fast through the internet. I have seen projects having their reputation seriously damaged by ONE single angry guy.

So the answer is Yes and No.

We can't force them to change their actions, we are not Obi Wan Kenobi. At the end of the day, Trion will do what they want.
But we can initiate reactions which can help them decide to change towards one direction or another. It's called the power of the masses.

Please say you mean the original Obi Wan, not Ewan's...

PseudoCool
07-11-2014, 05:14 PM
It's obvious that you've just created this thread to try to troll and bask in your love of all things Trion.

We tried to give you an opportunity to see things beyond your own self-imagined worth, and you've failed. You've failed by not even looking at another viewpoint besides your own narrow view, and you've failed by trolling your own troll thread.

Congrats!

Alexri
07-11-2014, 05:28 PM
A lot of the veteran players who are now pissed at Trion are the same people who have been feeding Trion feedback both on the forums, via PMs, etc. People whom I personally didn't think would ever truly become pissed at Trion. That stream of information has given Trion the opportunity to fix bugs that would have been rather bad before they even became public knowledge. Did you for instance know that for several months, it was possible to fake certain information displayed in a trade chat window? Yet trade remained safe for all that time because the people who found that bug reported it instead of using it to hurt the game.

There are still tons of these bugs in the game, of varying degrees of catastrophic potential, and I'm personally very curious to see what happens when Trion now seems to have pissed off pretty much everyone who knows the game better than anyone at that company does. Time to get popcorn methinks.

Personally the WM doesn't interest me, and it's instead the T2 lockbox thing that have made me venture into steam to find other games to play. As such I would honestly find it beyond hilarious if the above happened, whereas a couple of weeks ago it would have scared me silly.

Lucent
07-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Powerless completely.
But it makes me less angry about that hurtful paragraph in the announcement to see that we're not alone and not bad people, like it implied.

ConcreteSnake
07-11-2014, 05:42 PM
I would launch an all out assault on defiance and trion